Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ruthan Gudd

#1 User is offline   Egwene 

• Emperor
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 23 April 2015 - 12:47 PM

Ruthan Gudd - I was just re-reading the section where he meets up with Bottle after the battle with the N'ahruk (tCG, Chapter 2) and it struck me that he seems to have a weird sense of humour which reminded me very much of the likes of Raest, Hood and other Jaghut... could he be....

#2 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 23 April 2015 - 01:22 PM

View PostEgwene, on 23 April 2015 - 12:47 PM, said:

Ruthan Gudd - I was just re-reading the section where he meets up with Bottle after the battle with the N'ahruk (tCG, Chapter 2) and it struck me that he seems to have a weird sense of humour which reminded me very much of the likes of Raest, Hood and other Jaghut... could he be....

Sure, he could. But FWIW the T'lan Imass bowed to him and called him Elder, rather than say, trying to kill him.
Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#3 User is offline   melonhead 

• Lieutenant

Posted 27 April 2015 - 01:21 AM

View PostNevyn, on 23 April 2015 - 01:22 PM, said:

Sure, he could. But FWIW the T'lan Imass bowed to him and called him Elder, rather than say, trying to kill him.

Also, why would he need the stormriders magic if he had access to Omtose Phelleck?
Although, he could just be hiding that to maintain a deception, but i dont think so
Do you think God stays in heaven because he too, lives in fear of what he's created?Steve BuscemiSpy Kids 2

#4 User is offline   Egwene 

• Emperor

Posted 28 April 2015 - 11:29 AM

View Postmelonhead, on 27 April 2015 - 01:21 AM, said:

Also, why would he need the stormriders magic if he had access to Omtose Phelleck?
Although, he could just be hiding that to maintain a deception, but i dont think so

Good points. It was just that Gudd's sense of humour struck me when I read that section and thinking about where I had encountered a similar type before, the Jaghut sprang to mind. I think the T'lan not chopping him up is probably the best argument for him not being a hidden Jaghut. The use of Stormrider magic not so much as unveiling Omtose Phellack might have drawn attention he was trying to avoid. Other powerful magic users make use of different types depending on circumstances as well, so why not Gudd.

Well, still think, he would fit right in with Hood and his cohorts even with the wrong pedigree :)

#5 User is offline   melonhead 

• Lieutenant

Posted 29 April 2015 - 08:58 AM

View PostEgwene, on 28 April 2015 - 11:29 AM, said:

View Postmelonhead, on 27 April 2015 - 01:21 AM, said:

Good points. It was just that Gudd's sense of humour struck me when I read that section and thinking about where I had encountered a similar type before, the Jaghut sprang to mind. I think the T'lan not chopping him up is probably the best argument for him not being a hidden Jaghut. The use of Stormrider magic not so much as unveiling Omtose Phellack might have drawn attention he was trying to avoid. Other powerful magic users make use of different types depending on circumstances as well, so why not Gudd.

Well, still think, he would fit right in with Hood and his cohorts even with the wrong pedigree :)

You do have a point there. If he was Jaghut i dont suppose he would go throwing Omtose Phellack around, not with a few sneaky T'lan around the place.

And you are right, he most certainly would fit in with that bunch. I would love to see it happen, however unlikely it is.
You listening SE? :)
Do you think God stays in heaven because he too, lives in fear of what he's created?Steve BuscemiSpy Kids 2

#6 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 29 April 2015 - 02:59 PM

Just to complicate the point, Gudd may not like using his own power, or may not be very good at it, so using the Stormrider sword offered a preferred option, plus the appearance that any power he had came from an external source, not his own, further clouding his identity.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#7 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 29 April 2015 - 11:14 PM

He might have picked up said humor by way of being Arathan and living amongst the Jaghut for a period of time.... Or had it passed on by his father who might have.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users