Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Encyclopedia Malaz

#1 User is offline   Zeranamu 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 18 April 2015 - 10:04 AM

Is this confirmed? I would love to have a compendium of.. well, everything Malazan. And the world itself, of course. I did a little searching and all I can find is that it is 'forthcoming', and a post on here from like four years ago.

#2 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 18 April 2015 - 08:09 PM

It's confirmed to be not confirmed. It remains a floating idea, but it seems both authors would rather write novels.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#3 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 18 April 2015 - 09:38 PM

I doubt this is going to happen. But my personal opinion is that I'd rather read new novels than rehashed info that in the various books already, anyway.
Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#4 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 09 June 2015 - 06:06 PM

It was definitely in the planning at one stage, but they seem to have taken the view that more novels are needed first (in particular the prequels, both SE's and ICE's, so they can lay down the firm history of the Tiste and the Malazan Empire) and it may be unnecessary because of the fan wiki. The other option they've floated is that there is some interest in adapting the world for a P&P RPG, and if that is the case they will provide the RPG makers with their background materials to create their own sourcebook/world guide.

I get the impression that SE and ICE would love to make all of their background material available to the fans, but they also enjoy the fact that they can change anything they want at the moment because it's not locked into canon. That allowed SE to create a whole new continent (Lether), for example, and drop it into the world whilst planning the early books in the series. Putting out a sourcebook will limit that flexibility for the future.
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#5 User is offline   Egwene 

• Emperor

Posted 09 June 2015 - 06:28 PM

I sincerely hope that the fan Wiki isn't going to stop them from publishing an official one. Let's face it, we can only add what is in the books, they can give us soooooo much more. Background stories about how characters came into being, those parts of the stories which happened off screen (i.e. in their roleplaying only), additional maps... they could invent an entire new race just for the Wiki if they so wished. And a Wiki online is never a replacement for having a nice book in your hand... with maybe the odd illustration or two and a huge fold out map of the Empire! ;)

#6 User is offline   Cougar 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 10 June 2015 - 10:37 AM

Based on talking to the people who were supposed to do this I'd be very, very suprised if this ever saw the light of day. My understanding was that there simply wasn't the coherency in the notes etc. to produce something that would be genuinely useful and shed new light on things. Of course, this was the situation a while ago, things might have changed.
I AM A TWAT

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users