• You cannot reply to this topic

True Detective: Season 2

#1 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 10 April 2015 - 05:33 AM

I don't think this teaser has been posted here yet:

Some early thoughts:

This isn't actually a good teaser to me. It feels like it is just showing us a copy of season 1. A country'ish sad song, various actors looking pained, close-up's of people in great lighting, some crime police stuff. Feels like they just want to attract the people who liked the first season, rather than showing what makes Season 2 different.

There's too many people here. The first season was about McConaughey and Harrelson's characters and their lives. In this promo you have 4 central characters. That's too much.

I am also suspicious that Vaughn is the bad guy. So did they just show us who the big bad is from the start? Or is there more to this story?

Eh. Season 1 was something special. I have doubts about them recreating the success.

#2 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 10 April 2015 - 09:14 AM

It's not the best teaser, but gotta say re: the season as a whole it makes me feel quite the opposite. Not in terms of how good it will be or not, just in terms of the feeling, it doesn't seem at all to be aping season 1. There's only glimpses, but it looks more like it's gonna mash up a lot of LA noir stuff like Chinatown with more modern cop stuff like The Shield. I guess with noir the detective element (Farrell in particular) isn't gonna veer too far from season 1, but the sprawl and seediness of LA just feels different from that beyond rural off the radar feeling the first season had.

I do agree that season 1 was something special, and I think S2 is gonna feel a lot more familiar detective fiction than S1.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#3 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 10 April 2015 - 09:55 AM

I agree with Worry.

Also with Justin Lin iin the directors chair it's going to FEEL totally different.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#4 User is offline   Ceda Cicero 

• Ceda of Team Quick Ben

Posted 10 April 2015 - 04:06 PM

I think I'm mostly just skeptical about the range of the cast. McConaughey and Harrelson, to my mind, gave once-in-a-lifetime performances; I would watch a movie of those two characters painting a house together and nothing else. I don't have particular beef with any of the leads for season 2 but I don't know if their chops are quite up to snuff, and I'll be surprised (pleasantly surprised) if they can bring it at the same level as the guys from Season 1. If they do, though, could really change the trajectory of each of their careers.

I also don't think it's right, with this particular show, to place a whole lot of stock in a 61 second trailer. To my mind what made season 1 brilliant had way, way less to do with the through plot (or even the subplots) and much more to do with the subtleties, the nuanced dialogue, etc.

Also, not to nitpick, Apt, but your first paragraph criticizes the trailer for being too much of a rehash of season 1... then in the next paragraph you're like, season 1 was X... why isn't season 2 X?

This post has been edited by Ceda Cicero: 10 April 2015 - 04:06 PM

View PostIlluyankas, on 07 April 2011 - 08:37 PM, said:

How do you rape a cave? Do you ask, "You want to fuck, yes?" hear the echo come back, "Yes... es... es..." and get your barnacle-gouged groove on?

#5 User is offline   Studlock 

• First Sword

Posted 10 April 2015 - 07:05 PM

I like the feel of the teaser, more noir than country mystery and honestly I'm alright with that. I agree with worry that it kind of resembles Chinatown, more than anything else really. As for the principle characters I'm not really worried about Colin Farrel or McAdams, I think both have showed that they have the chops. I don't know anything about the Kitsch guy so he's a wild card for me. I am a bit worried about Vince Vaughn--does he have the necessary presence to hold down the villain spot?

#6 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 10 April 2015 - 07:06 PM

View PostCeda Cicero, on 10 April 2015 - 04:06 PM, said:

Also, not to nitpick, Apt, but your first paragraph criticizes the trailer for being too much of a rehash of season 1... then in the next paragraph you're like, season 1 was X... why isn't season 2 X?

You're not wrong. I am mostly full of shit.

View PostBriar King, on 10 April 2015 - 06:45 PM, said:

There's a perfectly good thread right here.

http://forum.malazan...true-detective/

Yeah. However I feel like the show's seasons have no overlap. Makes more sense to have a thread for each season.

#7 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 10 April 2015 - 10:26 PM

Season 1 was ace while watching but the ending was a letdown in some respects and I've felt no desire to rewatch it at all, which is curious given how obsessed I was with it at the time.

I am slightly worried about this but for the most part of it the writing of the first season was so strong that I find it hard to believe the same person could make something weak, and even if it doesn't start as stellar, a better conclusion could make for a more memorable season overall, so I'm definitely looking forward to it.

With this, and Hannibal earlier on in June, it could be a great summer of telly.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#8 User is offline   koehkont 

• Sergeant

Posted 19 June 2015 - 09:28 PM

I'll watch anything with Rachel McAdams. I think I am in some kind of distance like worship which I told myself might be love

#9 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 20 June 2015 - 10:27 PM

BK is just mad cos season 2 isn't about him like season 1 was.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#10 User is offline   Gnaw 

• Recovering eating disordered addict of HHM
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 21 June 2015 - 05:17 PM

I got to episode 4 or so before I realized that I wasn't going to see Farrell or McAdams. However, I was truly hooked.

If the second season is half as good as the first, it'll be better than most of what's on tv.
"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor Frankl

#11 User is offline   Bulwyf 

• ½ man, ½ amazing

Posted 22 June 2015 - 03:59 PM

So far I like the motley crew of "broken" cops we have gathered at episode 1. There's potential for sure! :)
Now they will know why they are are afraid of the dark. Now they will learn why they fear the night. -Thulsa Doom

You're such an inspiration for the ways that I would never, ever choose to be. -MJK

#12 User is offline   Bulwyf 

• ½ man, ½ amazing

Posted 30 June 2015 - 03:13 PM

I'm guessing bean bag/rubber bullet shells.
Didn't look like any splatter...
Or the show could be really awesome and have offed him in episode 2...
Now they will know why they are are afraid of the dark. Now they will learn why they fear the night. -Thulsa Doom

You're such an inspiration for the ways that I would never, ever choose to be. -MJK

#13 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB
  • Interests:WWQBD?
  • WoT Fangirl, Rank Traitor

Posted 30 June 2015 - 04:18 PM

After the first episode I had the thought that Frank's wife was actually a transgender woman and the real rapist, mostly because of that bright red hair and the fact that she's the first red-haired person we see after the introduction of the paternity mystery, the kid with bright red hair. Then I rewatched that episode and noticed that Frank says early on in that first scene with his wife (ostensibly about himself, wearing cuff links etc.) "Behold what was once a man."

I figure she probably had her gender reassignment surgery done at Casper's weird psych clinic / cosmetic surgery facility. My main question is whether Frank knows. He mentioned IVF in the first episode when talking with Velcoro ("not looking forward to jerking off in a cup" or whatever). He mentioned not having kids again in the strange opening scene of ep 2, how he doesn't know what to do with money without any kids to leave it to. That doesn't mean he doesn't know that his wife was once a man (though he would have to have been lying about the IVF), but the overall tone of his remarks (including "behold") suggests that he does not know.

His wife definitely seems to care more about the money than he does, which suggests that she's part of a long-running scheme to cheat Frank out of his stakes in Vinci. I have read elsewhere the possibility that the raven shooter dude is actually the mayor's son whom Frank rescued from some kind of trouble with a coked-up hit-and-run years back ("my son, I fear, is losing his fucking mind"). I find that believable too. Somehow they are working together.

Velcoro asked Frank how he knew his (Velcoro's) wife's description of the rapist. Now I have to wonder if even Velcoro knew his wife's description. Maybe she knew better than to tell him, and was thus doubly horrified when he told her that he took care of it. Clearly the guy was someone Frank wanted dead, or someone else wanted him dead. The picture was of a man with brown hair. Perhaps she gave Velcoro a vague description (medium height, medium build, brown hair, brown eyes) so that he wouldn't be able to find the rapist. Perhaps Velcoro then told someone at the police department, or the mayor, or whatever. They put the unwitting Velcoro on their hit job and at the same time entrapped him as their patsy in the criminal network of Vinci.

The President (2012) said:

Please proceed, Governor.

Chris Christie (2016) said:

There it is.

Elizabeth Warren (2020) said:

And no, I’m not talking about Donald Trump. I’m talking about Mayor Bloomberg.

#14 User is offline   Battalion 

• Emperor

Posted 02 July 2015 - 06:55 AM

I've liked the first two episodes, the scene with the guy with the crow mask was quality (especially liked the music). But I've been sort of messing about with my phone and stuff while watching - what's all this about Frank's wife being a man? Is this a theory or is it stated in the show?
Get to the chopper!

#15 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 02 July 2015 - 07:26 PM

It's just my loony theory. Frank does say "Behold what was once a man" in his first scene with her, but it's supposed to be about himself.

There it is.

#16 User is offline   Battalion 

• Emperor

Posted 07 July 2015 - 10:16 AM

Anyone else think the scene with Frank and the fat bloke with the gold teeth was a total shit fest?
Get to the chopper!

#17 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 07 July 2015 - 02:39 PM

Depends on what "shit fest" means.

There it is.

#18 User is offline   Battalion 

• Emperor

Posted 08 July 2015 - 09:40 AM

That is to say I didn't like it very much
Get to the chopper!

#19 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 08 July 2015 - 11:03 AM

View PostBattalion, on 08 July 2015 - 09:40 AM, said:

That is to say I didn't like it very much

Not entirely a shitfest, it served a function, I guess. Three episodes in, I think this season is about the main characters dealing with their own corruption, rather than an outside corruption of the whole establishment.

Frank seemed to be on a Michael Corleone road to legit businessman - and just like Corleone he falls back to being a crook - the protection racket on the building site and the dental care he performed being the first steps of this.
Velcoro has his strings pulled and will be torn between the investigation, the Vinci city bureaucracy and Frank.
Woodlugh is involved in a scandal and it may well be that his only way out would be coming out, but he might also be highly susceptible to blackmail.
Ani's investigation is now part of a bigger scheme: state police wants to root out corruption in Vinci, all she wants is finding the murderer - a bit like the investigation of Marty and Rust being under pressure from the Tuttles in season 1.

This post has been edited by Tapper: 08 July 2015 - 11:04 AM

Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#20 User is offline   Battalion 

• Emperor

Posted 09 July 2015 - 06:25 AM

Yeah, I agree he needed to show he was still the main man. But having a fist fight with a local gang rival ... can't really see Don Corleone and Solozzo going at it while all their henchmen look on.
Get to the chopper!

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users