• You cannot reply to this topic

Iran Nuclear Deal

#1 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:WWQBD?
  • WoT Fangirl, Rank Traitor

Posted 04 April 2015 - 12:42 AM

I confess, I mostly wanted to start this topic because we actually have an Iranian person here.

For those who don't remember, Obama's willingness to come to the table with Iran "without preconditions" was one of the major points in the battle between him and Hillary in the 2008 primary. With a GOP hell-bent on invading Iran (which would probably have accomplished little to nothing other than further destabilizing the region), this was a major point in Obama's favor. Iranians had similar dreams in electing Rouhani, and now we're seeing the fruits of all that.

It seems to me that the details of the deal are good for everyone. All sanctions will be removed, and the verification aspect is rather unprecedented. Even Bill O'Reilly is satisfied. I'm slightly worried that the GOP will screw it up for no good reason, so it's good to see one of their prominent media voices come out in favor. But even without minds changing, it's highly unlikely they'll get the 2/3 vote needed to challenge the deal in Congress.

Thank god we didn't elect Mr. "Bomb bomb bomb, bomb bomb Iran" in 2008. We're always on the brink of electing such people, but fortunately this deal will be incredibly difficult for future presidents to back out of, since so many of our allies are party to the deal.

The President (2012) said:

Please proceed, Governor.

Chris Christie (2016) said:

There it is.

Elizabeth Warren (2020) said:

And no, I’m not talking about Donald Trump. I’m talking about Mayor Bloomberg.

#2 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGs_qK2PQA

Posted 05 April 2015 - 03:06 AM

http://en.wikipedia....d_nuclear_power

Some believe thorium is key to developing a new generation of cleaner, safer nuclear power.[2] According to an opinion piece (not peer-reviewed) by a group of scientists at the Georgia Institute of Technology, considering its overall potential, thorium-based power "can mean a 1000+ year solution or a quality low-carbon bridge to truly sustainable energy sources solving a huge portion of mankind’s negative environmental impact."[3]

Thorium is three times as abundant as uranium and nearly as abundant as lead and gallium in the Earth's crust.[18] The Thorium Energy Alliance (TEA) estimates "there is enough thorium in the United States alone to power the country at its current energy level for over 1,000 years.

It is difficult to make a practical nuclear bomb from a thorium reactor's byproducts.

Comparing the amount of thorium needed with coal, Nobel laureate Carlo Rubbia of CERN, (European Organization for Nuclear Research), estimates that one ton of thorium can produce as much energy as 200 tons of uranium, or 3,500,000 tons of coal.[25] Coal, makes up 42% of U.S. electrical power generation and 65% in China.

Summarizing some of the potential benefits, Martin offers his general opinion: "Thorium could provide a clean and effectively limitless source of power while allaying all public concern—weapons proliferation, radioactive pollution, toxic waste, and fuel that is both costly and complicated to process.[15]:13 From an economics viewpoint, U.K. business editor Ambrose Evans-Pritchard has suggested that "Obama could kill fossil fuels overnight with a nuclear dash for thorium," suggesting a "new Manhattan Project," and adding, "If it works, Manhattan II could restore American optimism and strategic leadership at a stroke …"[25] Moir and Teller estimated in 2004 that the cost for their recommended prototype would be "well under $1 billion with operation costs likely on the order of $100 million per year," and as a result a "large-scale nuclear power plan" usable by many countries could be set up within a decade.[4]

-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#3 User is offline   Gnaw 

• Recovering eating disordered addict of HHM
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 05 April 2015 - 03:43 AM

Non-sequitur ftw!
"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor Frankl

#4 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken

Posted 05 April 2015 - 04:19 AM

View PostGnaw, on 05 April 2015 - 03:43 AM, said:

Non-sequitur ftw!

Posted Image
-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#5 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

• Scarecrow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 05 April 2015 - 05:25 AM

View PostTerez, on 04 April 2015 - 12:42 AM, said:

I confess, I mostly wanted to start this topic because we actually have an Iranian person here.

For those who don't remember, Obama's willingness to come to the table with Iran "without preconditions" was one of the major points in the battle between him and Hillary in the 2008 primary. With a GOP hell-bent on invading Iran (which would probably have accomplished little to nothing other than further destabilizing the region), this was a major point in Obama's favor. Iranians had similar dreams in electing Rouhani, and now we're seeing the fruits of all that.

It seems to me that the details of the deal are good for everyone. All sanctions will be removed, and the verification aspect is rather unprecedented. Even Bill O'Reilly is satisfied. I'm slightly worried that the GOP will screw it up for no good reason, so it's good to see one of their prominent media voices come out in favor. But even without minds changing, it's highly unlikely they'll get the 2/3 vote needed to challenge the deal in Congress.

Thank god we didn't elect Mr. "Bomb bomb bomb, bomb bomb Iran" in 2008. We're always on the brink of electing such people, but fortunately this deal will be incredibly difficult for future presidents to back out of, since so many of our allies are party to the deal.

Well, I'm happy about the deal, and everyone I know is happy about the deal. The only problem anyone has with it doesn't have anything to do with the contents of the deal itself, but the people who are making Iran sign it. A.KA the assholes who all have nuclear weapons and let Israel and Pakistan have nuclear weapon but don't wanna let us have them. Who the fuck made them King of the World?
Other than that, I don't think more than 1% of Iranian population gives one single fuck whether we have any sort of nuclear capability or not.
Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#6 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 05 April 2015 - 05:46 AM

View PostGnaw, on 05 April 2015 - 03:43 AM, said:

Non-sequitur ftw!

You rang?
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#7 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 05 April 2015 - 05:48 AM

View PostEmperorMagus, on 05 April 2015 - 05:25 AM, said:

View PostTerez, on 04 April 2015 - 12:42 AM, said:

Well, I'm happy about the deal, and everyone I know is happy about the deal. The only problem anyone has with it doesn't have anything to do with the contents of the deal itself, but the people who are making Iran sign it. A.KA the assholes who all have nuclear weapons and let Israel and Pakistan have nuclear weapon but don't wanna let us have them. Who the fuck made them King of the World?
Other than that, I don't think more than 1% of Iranian population gives one single fuck whether we have any sort of nuclear capability or not.

This always struck me as odd. Especially considering how belligerent Israel is to both those without and within their borders. I don't see how Iran having potential civil nuclear capabilities (such as power) was even an issue in the first place.

#8 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 05 April 2015 - 07:28 AM

What kind of effect will lifting the sanctions have for the average Iranian?

There it is.

#9 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken

Posted 05 April 2015 - 07:57 AM

Who the fuck made them King of the Worl

The ability to launch execute and deal with very advanced warfare. Scary shit.The ability to send war through advanced economics... And the populace that demands..fucking blood if you mess with US.

#10 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken

Posted 05 April 2015 - 08:06 AM

Sorry Gnaw...it just seems appropriate. guess i'm a bit negative. a lil.

http://www.motherjon...-us-bombing-uxo

Think about it.

Sit there..and watch the video. Ask yourself who rules the world...how do you gain control.

#11 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

Posted 05 April 2015 - 08:23 AM

View PostTerez, on 05 April 2015 - 07:28 AM, said:

What kind of effect will lifting the sanctions have for the average Iranian?

For the average Iranian, I don't think much will be changed. The main benefit is to those who need foreign pharmaceutical products, study in a foreign country or similar situations. "Theoretically" the inflation/price of dollar should drop but I don't think it will happen since those high up the hierarchy are making shit loads of money manipulating the market.
Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#12 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

Posted 05 April 2015 - 08:26 AM

View PostNicodimas, on 05 April 2015 - 07:57 AM, said:

The ability to launch execute and deal with very advanced warfare. Scary shit.The ability to send war through advanced economics... And the populace that demands..fucking blood if you mess with US.

All the more reason why Iran should get nuclear weapons(IMO). U.S wants to drone strike us because they can? they wouldn't dare blow up people in foreign countries if they could nuke the States back.
*sorry about the angry tone, but I really do believe that western countries are fucking hypocrites and that the world would be a better place if there wasn't anyone who could bully other countries like this, It's like a gang of high schoolers beating up middle school children for money.

Edit: Also, Ukraine.

This post has been edited by EmperorMagus: 07 April 2015 - 02:39 AM

Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#13 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

Posted 06 April 2015 - 02:08 AM

It seems like bibi is running his mouth again. I wonder, does anyone take this guy seriously? I find him of as mentally challenged as Ahmadinejad. But that's just me.
Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#14 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 06 April 2015 - 04:47 AM

View PostEmperorMagus, on 06 April 2015 - 02:08 AM, said:

It seems like bibi is running his mouth again. I wonder, does anyone take this guy seriously? I find him of as mentally challenged as Ahmadinejad. But that's just me.

Clearly our Republicans take him seriously. He seems not to realize a few things. First, with no deal the Iranian nuclear program will continue, with all their fancy new centrifuges and their stockpiles of enriched uranium and no inspections. It drives him crazy that the underground facility is unbombable but here he is objecting to the only feasible solution to that problem. Second, the deal with Iran is hard to compare to the deal with Syria; he's just trying to make a jab at Obama (by suggesting Putin got a better deal). It's hard to take him seriously unless you are ideologically devoted to Israel.

There it is.

#15 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 06 April 2015 - 12:26 PM

Being 100% serious (for once, and make the most of this, because it only happens when the moon is in the eighth house of Aqurius), Netenyahu scares the living shit out of me. Mainly because he has a finger on a Big Red Button in the Middle East and seems to display the sort of belligerence that I'd associate with actually pushing said button. Considering in that article he blasts one country for itheir usage of weapons against civilians (illegal weapons, granted - but that's a very thin line)... Hypocrisy may not be a strong enough word.

#16 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 06 April 2015 - 02:31 PM

View PostEmperorMagus, on 05 April 2015 - 08:26 AM, said:

All the more reason why Iran should get nuclear weapons(IMO). You wanna drone strike us because you can? Get fucking nuked.

*sorry about the angry tone, but I really do believe that western countries are fucking hypocrites and that the world would be a better place if there wasn't anyone who could bully other countries like this, It's like a gang of high schoolers beating up middle school children for money.

+ rep coming your way. Please, don't make the same mistakes we made in 94.

Whether US & co. Like it or not, post-crimea it's a brave new world. One when international agreements and law don't mean squat (well, not that they realy had MUCH meaning before)

And it just so happens that nukes are the only real instrument of persuasion.

As such, I predict lots more proliferation in the coming decades.

Ukis are both stunned and overjoyed by the deal. Stunned because Iran showed such willingness to trust the West and work with them. Overjoyed because everyone's hoping for the oil to flow, bringing prices even lower, thus undermining Russia's war machine's bank even further.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#17 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 06 April 2015 - 03:16 PM

View PostBriar King, on 06 April 2015 - 03:08 AM, said:

I choose to remain hopeful that after Japan man will not unleash fire that burns our blue jewel.

Indeed. I think that everyone in higher levels of every government ought to be required by law to go to see the shadow burns at Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#18 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 06 April 2015 - 03:38 PM

View PostMaark, on 06 April 2015 - 12:26 PM, said:

Netenyahu scares the living shit out of me. Mainly because he has a finger on a Big Red Button in the Middle East and seems to display the sort of belligerence that I'd associate with actually pushing said button.

I know what you mean but he hasn't done it yet despite going on about it for years. There would be a whole lot of consequences aside from possible nuclear retaliation; he does not appear to be crazy enough to ignore those consequences. I also suspect that a lot of his talk is just him being a politician, but I don't know enough about Israeli politics to have any real assurance of that. They keep electing him, so they must like it.

There it is.

#19 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

Posted 07 April 2015 - 02:35 AM

View PostBriar King, on 07 April 2015 - 01:35 AM, said:

View PostEmperorMagus, on 05 April 2015 - 08:26 AM, said:

All the more reason why Iran should get nuclear weapons(IMO). You wanna drone strike us because you can? Get fucking nuked.

I'm sorry you feel that way. I wouldn't wish our worst enemy to get nuked.

You misunderstood my point. My point isn't anyone nuking anyone. my point is that the huge number of dead people due to drone strikes wouldn't be there if there was something stopping the superpowers from imposing their will. The same is true if something was stopping Russia from invading Ukraine, thus the Ukraine comment. I don't think anyone in their right minds would wish anything to be nuked.

(also, you have to admit, "get fucking nuked" sounds really nice and imposing if you say it with an angry tone. I couldn't resist saying it. It was my favorite phrase when playing Rise of Nations in Multiplayer in my younger days.)

Edit: I edited my earlier post just to make it clearer. What I said was just plain stupid.

This post has been edited by EmperorMagus: 07 April 2015 - 02:40 AM

Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#20 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 07 April 2015 - 03:15 AM

My problem with this entire nuke question is potential for destruction. The more countries that have nukes, the more people( as in individual human beings) will have access to nukes. Now not all countries will screen their personnel or maintain top level security. What if that countrys army stages a coup? What if the officer in charge is not as stable as he seems?

Take for instance Pakistan. The country is practically half under control of extremists. Laden was found in a military compound and their intelligence people probably knew he was there. There was a time before the present regime, when the insurgents controlled the entire Swat Valley and their was talk of their taking Islamabad. What happens in a situation like that? Take Russia, corrupt and jingoistic. Is anybody really ok with their having nuclear bombs?

The fewer people that have nukes, the better, with the best number being zero.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users