Malazan Empire: ( Quick Ben -- Cotillion ) Democratic Hierarchy of the Gods - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

( Quick Ben -- Cotillion ) Democratic Hierarchy of the Gods The Man of Many Souls and The Man Whose Taken Many Souls

Poll: ( Quick Ben -- Cotillion ) Democratic Hierarchy of the Gods (29 member(s) have cast votes)

Who wins?

1. Quick Ben (13 votes [44.83%])

Percentage of vote: 44.83%

2. Cotillion (16 votes [55.17%])

Percentage of vote: 55.17%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   Brujah 

• Suicide of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 27 March 2015 - 12:44 PM

Two of our most mysterious characters in the series. Both utilize the shadows as easy as breathing.

Quick Ben, in my opinion, is the most mysterious man in the series. We aren't ever sure just how powerful QB is. Throughout the series progression, QB often trumps his previous display of power by revealing that there was more juice hidden in his reservoir by doing something even more amazing, and he's given us many amazing moments.

I think the part where he lays a very large package of hurt on the three of Sheltatha Lore, Sukul Ankhadu, and Menadore all at the same time, and sends them reeling back the way they came is one of my top 10 favorite moments in the series.

At one point near the end of the series, he makes the statement, " Because Draconus changes everything, and I'm the only one who can stand against him." Bottle gaped, and then a thin word creaked out: "You?"

He claims to be able to dance with Draconus? I mean, who the hell is this guy, really.

Cotillion once remarks of Quick Ben - " I have no hold over him these days, alas. Why? He is too powerful. Too mysterious. Too conniving. Too Hood-damned smart. Indeed, even Shadowthrone has turned his attentions elsewhere.' (HoC, UK Trade, p.283)

Now, none of this means one is more powerful than the other with any definity, because Shadowthrone has already beaten Quick Ben in poll, so I need to know where I should be fitting ST's main man, The Rope, into our tier rankings.

Currently, ST sits on tier 3 alone. QB sits on tier 4 alone. Dassem is on tier 5 alone, and Karsa on tier 6 alone. All of this subject to change after any given poll pairing results. As well as an influx of votes to any poll that changes the winner.

Cotillion should fit somewhere between his own tier above ST and below Hood and Gothos, or on the same tier with ST, his own tier below ST and above QB, on the same tier with QB, or below QB somewhere, depending on how far down he slides. For example, if he loses to QB, he goes below him, but would he fit in above Dassem, share a tier with Dassem, or fall below Dassem as well.

In short, this is an important matchup.

So VOTE PLEASE.

I'm going with The Rope, myself. QB is slick, and extremely crafty, but if there's any weakness to QB's fighting style, in my opinion, it would be a very sneaky and very powerful assassin type. So I'm not saying a Kalam Mekhar type assassin would be good enough, but Cotillion just might be the man for the job. I'd also be satisfied with a tie here, but it's not up to me alone.

Let the people speak and thus, pass judgement on our two opponents.

(Come on everyone. Let's get our nerd-on.)
And when you're Gone, you stay Gone, or you be Gone. You lost all your Seven Cities privileges. - Karsa

you're such an inspiration for the ways that I will never, ever choose to be...
- Maynard James Keenan

#2 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 27 March 2015 - 04:39 PM

I voted the Rope. His main advantage is surprise close up extremely powerful, extremely deadly attack. If QB sees something coming, he can mess it up as referred to in the OP also vs Icarium, or the Nahruk. But close up down and dirty, with Cotillions Ascendant bonus, I think the Rope wins everytime.

.....unless QB has Kalam as a shaved knuckle in the hole....shit....

#3 User is offline   theocean 

• High Fist

Posted 27 March 2015 - 08:18 PM

Quick isnt easy to sneak up on. Dude knows everything going on it seems like. He calls out Hood, pisses on SHadow throne, and always has his own shaved knuckles. Whether it be a pile of ultra powerful sticks or a badass assassin from 7 cities. QB is almost surely a soletaken of some form. He takes on three soletaken dragons, he stands against Iciruim in full rage mode, He takes on an entire division of Nah'ruk. My mans got 12 warrens for the rope just ready to roll.

#4 User is offline   melonhead 

• Lieutenant

Posted 28 March 2015 - 12:30 AM

View Posttheocean, on 27 March 2015 - 08:18 PM, said:

Quick isnt easy to sneak up on. Dude knows everything going on it seems like. He calls out Hood, pisses on SHadow throne, and always has his own shaved knuckles. Whether it be a pile of ultra powerful sticks or a badass assassin from 7 cities. QB is almost surely a soletaken of some form. He takes on three soletaken dragons, he stands against Iciruim in full rage mode, He takes on an entire division of Nah'ruk. My mans got 12 warrens for the rope just ready to roll.

^ this.
in a straight up fight, i think it would be a very close battle. If The Rope could get the drop on him, he might take him out, but get the drop on Quick?? I dont think so.
I vote Quick Ben
Do you think God stays in heaven because he too, lives in fear of what he's created?Steve BuscemiSpy Kids 2

#5 User is offline   Brujah 

• Suicide of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 01 April 2015 - 05:20 AM

I believe Quick Ben stayed alive by always avoiding him having to face Shadowthrone or Cotillion. We see him use trickery to escape them twice. I believe this leans in the favor of Shadowthrone or Cotillion being able to defeat Quick Ben.

Also, we already have Shadowthrone beating Quick Ben in a previous poll. Therefore I'd be willing to surmise that Cotillion could not only defeat Quick Ben, but would be the perfect character for catching Quick Ben in a bad spot. Cotillion isn't just some regular melee assassin. He has real and powerful magics of his own.

I believe Cotillion is the type to catch Quick Ben at the right place, at the right time. Even Quick Ben has his own weaknesses, and The Rope is THE executioner and exploiter of all men/womens' weaknesses.

Cotillion barely wins this one in my opinion. Extremely close, but like I already said, when I picture the character that would be the perfect type to take Quick Ben, I just always picture The Rope. Besides fighting Cotillion, I'd give Quick Ben the edge in most all other fights.

Then again, we're actually looking at a possible tie in this one instead of either getting the win. I can dig a tie between these two. It works well for the tier rankings without causing any complications. But 11 votes can't decide. We need more votes. I'll give it a few weeks.
And when you're Gone, you stay Gone, or you be Gone. You lost all your Seven Cities privileges. - Karsa

you're such an inspiration for the ways that I will never, ever choose to be...
- Maynard James Keenan

#6 User is offline   Kanese S's 

• TMI Frigate Bird of Low House PEN
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 20 December 2015 - 10:27 AM

Quick Ben.
Laseen did nothing wrong.

I demand Telorast & Curdle plushies.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic