Malazan Empire: Mafia Championship - Malazan Empire

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Mafia Championship Champion ship games from all of the mafia forums of the internet!

#41 User is offline   Thingyman 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 31 March 2015 - 08:13 PM

I hope this works (it's an intro video to season 2):

edit: It didn't. "Help" lied to me ;)

This post has been edited by Thingyman: 31 March 2015 - 08:16 PM

#42 User is offline   Gnaw 

• Recovering eating disordered addict of HHM
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 05 April 2015 - 05:14 AM

Gnaw, on 29 March 2015 - 04:10 AM, said:

500 posts per day. 13 players. 38.46 posts each. 36 hour day. 1.068 posts per hour per player.

I can do that in my sleep.

first game first week said:

User Name Posts
Sili 237
TheBrokenATM! 174
IAmRobik 161
q_q 133
Jimmy Rustle 98
Klingbard 84
Monkey Banana 81
gambit8888 65
Sun Tzu 55
killer_kill 52
thediceman 42
Viggorous 33
Missing Person 23
HiFi 19
KruZe 1

Postcount breakdown is about the same as for one of our games. Two or three loudmouths and three or four filthy low posters.
"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor Frankl

#43 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 05 April 2015 - 07:41 AM

Which one are you
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#44 User is offline   Gnaw 

• View gallery

Posted 05 April 2015 - 08:59 AM

Not playing yet. I signed up as 'gnawazan'. ;)

GAME 4 (MAY 11TH)
SPOT FOR BOARDGAMEGEEK REPRESENTATIVE
ashersky (Dominion Strategy)
DarthPunk (OMGUS)
Gnaw (Malazan Empire)
jrdrylie (Draft Countdown)
Kawamii (OneHallyu)
Lissa (Ultimate Mafia)
Mashi (Last Life)
notquitethere (Bay 12 Forums)
Riki (Millennium Forums)
soah (Two Plus Two)
spruce (MindRomp)
Visorslash (TW Center)

This post has been edited by Gnaw: 13 April 2015 - 01:47 AM

"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor Frankl

#45 User is offline   Messremb 

• Honorary Symp of High House Mafia
  • High Artificer of Team Quick Ben

Posted 05 April 2015 - 09:04 AM

Gnaw, on 05 April 2015 - 08:59 AM, said:

Not playing yet. I signed up as 'gnawazan'. ;)

Do you have a start date so we can all heckle from the sidelines cheer you on?
"see that stranger's arm crushing the life from him - do you understand? Not an eternal prison for Messremb"

#46 User is offline   Thingyman 

• Recruit

Posted 06 April 2015 - 09:42 PM

Game 1 of the second season of the Mafia Championship has started: http://forumserver.t...me-1-a-1523482/

If you'd like to spectate the game, feel free to add me on Skype and I'll invite you to the spectator chat: thingyman

The chat attracted more than a 100 people last time from all the various communities and was a ton of fun. Most importantly, it is a great opportunity for networking and creating connections with other communities as evidenced by the fact that it led to a bunch of crossover games the first time around. You should pop in and say hello ;)

LINE-UP
Bubbles (NinSheetMusic)
CPHoya (Super Mafia All Stars)
fontisian (Dark Lord Potter)
Guild (Talking Time)
Harb (Play Diplomacy)
itisally (The Grey Labyrinth)
NeilOnnsu (Art of Problem Solving)
Paperblade (Serenes Forest)
TheDarkestLight (SC2 Mafia)
Timewave (Atheist Foundation of Australia)
VikeStep (Feed the Beast)
Vytron (xkcd)
Zack (CivFanatics)

#47 User is offline   Gnaw 

• View gallery

Posted 09 May 2015 - 05:20 PM

Thingyman, on 09 May 2015 - 12:47 AM, said:

Hi Gnaw

Your game is starting Monday.

Also, have I received your bio yet? If not, I need it sometime before Sunday.

So, who wants to write Fener's bio?

#48 User is offline   Path-Shaper 

• Mafia Modgod
  • Group: Game Mod

Posted 09 May 2015 - 05:48 PM

Gnaw, on 09 May 2015 - 05:20 PM, said:

Hi Gnaw

I'll bite.

Fener is known as Gnaw on the Malazan Empire forum. While I could tell you a great many things about Gnaw, I would have to admit that most of them would be either deliberately false (this is a competition, after all) or claims made in ignorance (we do play on a forum, after all).

Instead, it is Fener I want to talk you about.

You see, Fener is our most jinxed alt, and all of us groan inwardly when we see it popping up in our mailboxes as our designated alt. This is for a multitude of reasons.
The first reason is that you'll have to weather a storm of good natured abuse. You see, unlike most of the forum's early game alts, which are Dragons, Fener is a boar. A boar god, but still: a boar. This made him an obvious odd one out from the usual alts and opens the door for a host of extremely obvious pig & swine jokes.

And if that's not enough, it is also the alt that is traditionally lynched when there's obvious choice to run a train on.
Invariably, Fener comes up as town. Invariably, the game mod knows that there's a 59.1% chance of Fener being lynched day 1, and refuses to add an important role to the alt.
As a result, Fener is the alt that gets in the way of an exciting game.

With regards of the Mafia Championship, the choice for the name Fener ought to be seen as an acceptance of impending doom and a perfect (if slightly fatalistic) banner to represent Malazan Mafia with.

Only someone with this much power could make this many frittatas without breaking any eggs.

#49 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 09 May 2015 - 06:45 PM

Ha.

Fucking Fener.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#50 User is offline   Gnaw 

• View gallery

Posted 09 May 2015 - 08:00 PM

Path-Shaper, on 09 May 2015 - 05:48 PM, said:

Gnaw, on 09 May 2015 - 05:20 PM, said:

Hi Gnaw

I'll bite.

Edited a bit. I signed up as "gnawazan" and used the Fener avatar:

"Gnawazan is known as Gnaw on the Malazan Empire forum. While I could tell you a great many things about Gnaw, I would have to admit that most of them would be either deliberately false (this is a competition, after all) or claims made in ignorance (we do play on a forum, after all).

Instead, it is the Fener avatar/alt I want to talk you about.

You see, Fener is our most jinxed alt, and all of us groan inwardly when we see it popping up in our mailboxes as our designated alt. This is for a multitude of reasons.
The first reason is that you'll have to weather a storm of good natured abuse. You see, unlike most of the forum's early game alts, which are Dragons, Fener is a boar. A boar god, but still: a boar. This made his avatar an obvious odd one out from the usual alts and opens the door for a host of extremely obvious pig & swine jokes.

And if that's not enough, it is also the alt that is traditionally lynched when there's no obvious choice to run a train on.
Invariably, Fener comes up as town. Invariably, the game mod knows that there's a 59.1% chance of Fener being lynched day 1, and refuses to add an important role to the alt.
As a result, Fener is the alt that gets in the way of an exciting game.

With regards of the Mafia Championship, the choice for the Fener avatar ought to be seen as an acceptance of impending doom and a perfect (if slightly fatalistic) banner to represent Malazan Mafia with. Also Gnaw is a bit of a pig."

Also, apparently my knowledge of MzE mafia history is wrong. I thought that one of the reasons Fener was so often targeted early was because that alt had also had a string of victories for awhile?

edit: added the obvious

This post has been edited by Gnaw: 10 May 2015 - 02:00 AM

#51 User is offline   Path-Shaper 

• Mafia Modgod
  • Group: Game Mod

Posted 09 May 2015 - 08:07 PM

I really wouldn't know. It had its reputation already when I started playing (mafia 25).
Only someone with this much power could make this many frittatas without breaking any eggs.

#52 User is offline   Thingyman 

• Recruit

Posted 11 May 2015 - 02:46 PM

Hi guys

Gnaw's game started: http://forumserver.t...me-4-a-1531336/

Hit me up on Skype if you want to be added to the spectator chat (110+ ppl) and cheer on Gnaw: thingyman

#53 User is offline   Blend 

• Gentleman of High House Mafia
  • View gallery

Posted 11 May 2015 - 04:23 PM

Good luck Gnaw!!!

:o :rolleyes: :laughing:
There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail - should we fall - we will know that we have lived. ~ Anomander Rake
My sig comes from a game in which I didn't heed Blend's advice. So maybe this time I should. ~ Khellendros
I'm just going to have to come to terms with the fact that self-vote suiciding will forever be referred to as "pulling a JPK" now, aren't I? ~ JPK

#54 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • Group: Administrators
  • very good...;)

Posted 22 May 2015 - 01:05 PM

Lynched day 1...sigh...
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#55 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 13 June 2015 - 02:37 PM

How did itisally from the GL do?

#56 User is offline   Thingyman 

• Recruit

Posted 04 August 2015 - 07:34 PM

Hi guys!

I just wanted to stop by, say hello, and let you all know that the 2015 Mafia Championship Finale Game has officially begun!

Link to game thread: http://www.mafiauniv...pionship-Finale

I started this whole thing 2 years ago. Now here we are at the conclusion of season 2; 70 representatives from 70 different communities battled it out, and now it's time to crown the ultimate winner -- the internet's reigning forum mafia champion :apt:

I hope you'll enjoy the read, and I hope I'll see your community represented again in season 3 - OR, even better, I hope I'll see you for any other upcoming fun cross-community events.

In case you're interested in spectating and talking with others about the game (or, hell, if you just want to shoot the breeze with other mafia enthusiasts), we are a horde of 110+ people on Skype who'd love to chat with you (or you can just quietly lurk, if you prefer). Add me, if you'd like an invite: thingyman

#57 User is offline   Thingyman 

• Recruit

Posted 04 August 2015 - 07:36 PM

Macros, on 13 June 2015 - 02:37 PM, said:

How did itisally from the GL do?

I think she did quite well. She was definitely out of her comfort zone, what with the activity levels, but she managed to handle it without any issues, I think :apt:

She's a very pleasant player. Do you play on GL or have you played there?

#58 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 24 September 2015 - 01:06 PM

GLs where it all started online thingyman, many years ago. Didn't play in the very first ones but I think I made it in by tenth/eleventhish game. Haven't played there in years, or here really actually

#59 User is offline   Thingyman 

• Recruit

Posted 29 March 2016 - 08:08 AM

Invitation to The Mafia Championship Season 3

Hello everyone, it's that time of the year again :nuke:

I am making this post with the hopes that your community would be interested in participating in Season 3 of the Mafia Championship. It will be bigger and more epic than ever before.

This year we're expanding once again; 136 communities will be invited to participate, making this not only the biggest Mafia event ever, but also the largest cross-forum event in the history of the Internet. We've also moved the venue toMafia Universe, a new site created largely because of this series.

Are you interested?

As always,how you decide your representative is completely up to you. To guarantee your community a spot in Season 3 of the Mafia Championship, I will need to know of your community's interest within the next week (until April 4th). Following this, you will have an additional two weeks to decide your nominee (until April18th). Additionally, it would be a very good idea to also name an alternate.

Remember that your representative needs to be prepared to deal with a lot of activity.Expect at least upwards of 500 posts per 24 hours during the early stages of the game. The representative needs to not only be able to read all this, but should also at least be able to manage making 10+ posts per day phase.

Season 3 Specifics

• 136 different communities are invited to participate. If some decline the invitation, I may opt to allow larger communities an additional nominee.

• 8Qualifying Games will be played with 17 players each.

• 2 players advance to the Finale Game from each game based on post-game votes.

• 1Wildcard Game will be played (Wildcards are decided by a jury consisting of former finalists), determining the 17th and final spot in the Finale.Runner-ups in this game will be first in line to replace any finalists who may have to drop out.

Season 3 Timeline & Important Dates

The firstQualifying Game is set to start April 25th. Additional games will take place in the 1-3 months following. I will create a Doodle and find out the best times to start the various games so that preferably everyone gets to play during a time that suits them well.

In addition to this, it is also a priority to ensure as much as possible that all the players in any given game has no prior history of playing with each other to ensure a level playing field (but I cannot 100% guarantee that this won't happen).

Season 3 Game Design & Setup

For each season, we've changed it up. This time, we're doing something new again!

The setup is called Matrix12 and is inspired by mafiascum's popular Matrix6 setup, if anyof you are familiar with that. In short, the concept is that there are 12 different possible setups and the host randomizes which one is used. The players know what setups are available, but not which one will be used!

More on the setup here: http://www.mafiauniv...son-3-Format%29

Regarding lynch mechanics: There will be a deadline each day phase, and the person with the most votes at the end of the day is lynched, unless a majority has already been reached before then, in which case the day ends prematurely.

Days will last 36 hours and nights 12 hours, meaning 48 hours (2 days) per game day. With one exception: The weekend (Friday, Saturday and Sunday) will be one game day(so day will be 60 hours and night 12 hours on weekends).

This post has been edited by Thingyman: 29 March 2016 - 08:09 AM

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users