Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Differences between Malazan Maps in books

#1 User is offline   Egwene 

• Emperor
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 06 January 2015 - 12:32 PM

I compared the Genabackis map posted on the Wiki with the one from my book and found that they are quite different. The one I have at the front of GotM shows previous free cities with a diamond symbol, the one on the Wiki doesn't. Do the maps vary in different editions? Mine is a UK paperback one. Unfortunately, the person who posted the map on the Wiki is no longer active so I don't know where they got that version of it.

Edit: I had a dig in the history of the file and found a note to say the map was from Memories of Ice. Guess that answers my question, lol.

However, I still wonder if there are other variations between maps in different books/language editions etc.

Has anyone noticed others?

This post has been edited by Egwene: 08 January 2015 - 11:42 AM

#2 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 06 January 2015 - 01:01 PM

Cue D'rek :)
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#3 User is offline   Egwene 

• Emperor

Posted 07 January 2015 - 11:54 AM

Where is D'rek when we need her???? :)

Jade Raven has uploaded a coloured version of the map and that makes it even more interesting as two of the names are spelled differently from both the other two maps that I am aware of.

#4 User is offline   Spoilsport Stonny 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 07 January 2015 - 02:13 PM

West Darujhistan is three times the size of Texas.

Posted Image
Theorizing that one could poop within his own lifetime, Doctor Poopet led an elite group of scientists into the desert to develop a top secret project, known as QUANTUM POOP. Pressured to prove his theories or lose funding, Doctor Poopet, prematurely stepped into the Poop Accelerator and vanished. He awoke to find himself in the past, suffering from partial amnesia and facing a mirror image that was not his own. Fortunately, contact with his own bowels was made through brainwave transmissions, with Al the Poop Observer, who appeared in the form of a hologram that only Doctor Poopet could see and hear. Trapped in the past, Doctor Poopet finds himself pooping from life to life, pooping things right, that once went wrong and hoping each time, that his next poop will be the poop home.

#5 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 07 January 2015 - 02:40 PM

My Gardens of the Moon (original Bantam UK MMPB):

Posted Image

and my Memories of Ice (original Bantam UK MMPB):

Posted Image

So there, you can see the differences. I don't know if they changed the maps in later printings, it is possible later GotMs use the second one now, but this is were the difference comes from.

As far as I know, the translated versions use the same maps with perhaps just re-writing at the legend (the city names are mostly kept the same, I think), but I'm not entirely sure and haven't seen one for myself. Might depend on what language - some translated editions seem to be a bit better quality than others.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#6 User is offline   D'iversify 

• First Sword

Posted 07 January 2015 - 02:52 PM

The main difference between the maps is the disappearance of the Free City of Tulips from the later one, possibly motivated by the somewhat embarrassing contradiction between the map, where it is clearly in the north-east, and the text, where it is stated to be on the west, near Nisst, which is similarly not mapped (but in this previous discussion suggested by Dolorous Menhir to perhaps be synonymous with 'Ganiss' (west of Hoop and Evinor in the north-east): http://forum.malazan...s-and-whatever/ ):

"Finally he cleared his throat. 'Adjunct, is it possible to reverse the landings? The Eleventh and the Wickan lancers disembarking on the cast coast, south of Apple. The Ninth on the west coast, to Tulips.'

Lorn strode to the table and studied the map. Tulips? Why there? That made no sense at all. 'The Empress would be curious as to your revised plans, High Fist.'

'Meaning "maybe".' Dujek rubbed the stubble on his jaw, then gave a sharp nod. 'All right, Adjunct. First, the conscripts will not hold Fox Pass. The Crimson Guard will be into the northlands by the time our reinforcements arrive. Much of that area is farmland, pasture. As we retreat, pulling the conscripts back to Nisst, we raze the countryside. No crops, no livestock. Whatever supplies K'azz will need he'll have to bring with him. Now, Adjunct, any army on the move, any army pursuing a routed army, is bound to leave its supply train behind, string it out in its haste to catch its enemy and deliver the killing blow. And that's where the Wickan lancers come in.'"

(pp. 289-290).

This post has been edited by D'iversify: 07 January 2015 - 02:56 PM

I am the Onyx Wizards

#7 User is offline   Egwene 

• Emperor

Posted 08 January 2015 - 12:14 PM

http://malazan.wikia...iki/Free_Cities

Thanks for all the input. I have linked the wiki entry for the free cities to this thread as well as to the one which D'iversify listed. I have also copied the map D'rek posted from the GotM edition across so that the page now has all three versions.

I think Tulips disappearance from the later map is as D'iversify says, to stop map contradicting text.

If Nisst equalled Ganisst which does seem likely, then there is only one city discrepancy between the twelve from the Baruk/Crone conversation and the fourteen which one gets looking at maps and glossaries.

Candidate would have to be one of the other ones not mentioned on maps but listed in glossary: Garalt or Porule

Here is a link to the Maps currently uploaded to the Wiki. It would be great if everyone could take a look to see if they have any variations to the ones listed, and if so, upload them.

http://malazan.wikia...i/Category:Maps

#8 User is offline   Egwene 

• Emperor

Posted 26 January 2015 - 03:00 PM

And another variation...

The map for Seven Cities which is on the Wiki has G'danisban marked, whereas the one I am looking at in Deadhouse Gates does not. Does anyone have a decent Deadhouse Gates map which they could upload to the Wiki or here (so I can transfer)? Also, any idea which book the one with G'danisban on it might come from?

#9 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 26 January 2015 - 04:16 PM

View PostEgwene, on 26 January 2015 - 03:00 PM, said:

And another variation...

The map for Seven Cities which is on the Wiki has G'danisban marked, whereas the one I am looking at in Deadhouse Gates does not. Does anyone have a decent Deadhouse Gates map which they could upload to the Wiki or here (so I can transfer)? Also, any idea which book the one with G'danisban on it might come from?

IIRC, Deadhouse Gates has a 'Chain of Dogs, first half' and a 'Chain of Dogs, second half' maps, showing the north-east and south-east sides of 7C, while HoC has one big map of 7C (which is repeated in tBH).

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#10 User is offline   Egwene 

• Emperor

Posted 26 January 2015 - 11:02 PM

View PostD, on 26 January 2015 - 04:16 PM, said:

View PostEgwene, on 26 January 2015 - 03:00 PM, said:

And another variation...

IIRC, Deadhouse Gates has a 'Chain of Dogs, first half' and a 'Chain of Dogs, second half' maps, showing the north-east and south-east sides of 7C, while HoC has one big map of 7C (which is repeated in tBH).

My paperback copy of DG also has the large 7C map but without G'danisban on it. HoC paperback has no large 7C copy but found the one in tBH which does have G'danisban! Don't suppose you'd have a copy of the large 7C map from DG to scan?

#11 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 28 January 2015 - 09:42 AM

There have been two different big maps for Seven Cities in the books. The one in DEADHOUSE GATES is the only time that map has appeared, and it does not have G'danisban on it. The map in THE BONEHUNTERSis a new one of the same area. It has G'danisban on it and it also has arrows pointing to Nemill and Perish. The DHG map is actually superior, as it's spread over two pages and uses smaller fonts, making the thing more legible. TBH map is on one page and is horribly cramped in comparison.

Full list of maps from the books:

Genabackis: The Malazan Campaign: Map showing most of Genabackis (excepting the southern coast), featured in Gardens of the Moon.
Darujhistan: City map of Darujhistan, featured in Gardens of the Moon, Toll the Hounds and Orb Sceptre Throne.
Seven Cities: The Malazan Empire: Map showing the Seven Cities subcontinent, featured in Deadhouse Gates.
Chain of Dogs: Coltaine's March: Detailed map (in two parts) showing the route of the 7th Army. Featured in Deadhouse Gates.
Genabackis: The Pannion War: Essentially the same map as in Gardens of the Moon, but with some errors fixed and borders changed. Featured in Memories of Ice.
Capustan: Eastern Genabackis: City map of Capustan. Featured in Memories of Ice.
Central Malazan Empire: A map showing the entirety of Quon Tali and the Falari Isles, as well as the coast of southern Seven Cities. Featured in House of Chains.
Northwest Genabackis: A detailed map of the Malyn and Owndos Sea regions of Genabackis. Featured in House of Chains.
Pan'arak Oasis: Raraku's Heart: Detailed map of the Pan'arak Oasis in Seven Cities. Featured in House of Chains.
Tiste Edur Lands and North Lether Frontier: Detailed map of the north-western part of Lether. Featured in Midnight Tides.
Central Letheras: City map of Letheras. Featured in Midnight Tides.
Central Malazan Empire: Quon Tali: A substantially more detailed version of the map in House of Chains, featuring only the southern part of Quon Tali. Featured in The Bonehunters and Return of the Crimson Guard.
Seven Cities: The Malazan Empire: A redrawn and revised version of the map of the same name from Deadhouse Gates. Featured in The Bonehunters.
Malaz City: City map of Malaz City, featured in the PS Publishing version of Night of Knives. Notable as it is a hand-drawn map by Steven Erikson and Ian Cameron Esslemont.
Malaz City: The same as the above, redrawn by Neil Gower. Featured in The Bonehunters and the Transworld and Tor versions of Night of Knives.
The Empire of Lether: A map showing most of the western half of Lether. Featured in Reaper's Gale and Dust of Dreams.
Black Coral and Environs: City map of Black Coral. Featured in Toll the Hounds.
Kolanse: A map of eastern Lether, focusing on the kingdom of Kolanse. Featured in The Crippled God.
Malaz Isle: A map of Malaz Island, featured in Night of Knives.
The Lands of Fist: A map of the Fistian subcontinent, featured in Stonewielder.
Main Installations of the Stormwall: A detailed map of the Stormwall. Featured in Stonewielder.
South Genabackis and Environs: A map of the south coast of Genabackis, featured in Orb Sceptre Throne.
The Isle of Jacuruku: A map of the island-continent of Jacuruku, featured in Blood and Bone.
Assail and Environs: A map of the northern part of Assail, featured in Assail.
The Blood Range: A detailed map of the Blood Range in Assail, featured in Assail.
Thal Akai, Jhagut, Tiste Realms: A map of the lands in Forge of Darkness. Note that these lands may not reside on the Malazan world.
Kurald Galain: A map of the lands of Kurald Galain in Forge of Darkness. Note that these lands may not reside on the Malazan world.
Kharkanas (central): City map of Kharkanas in Forge of Darkness. Note that these lands may not reside on the Malazan world.

This post has been edited by Werthead: 28 January 2015 - 09:45 AM

Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#12 User is offline   Egwene 

• Emperor

Posted 30 January 2015 - 09:12 PM

View PostWerthead, on 28 January 2015 - 09:42 AM, said:

There have been two different big maps for Seven Cities in the books. The one in DEADHOUSE GATES is the only time that map has appeared, and it does not have G'danisban on it. The map in THE BONEHUNTERSis a new one of the same area. It has G'danisban on it and it also has arrows pointing to Nemill and Perish. The DHG map is actually superior, as it's spread over two pages and uses smaller fonts, making the thing more legible. TBH map is on one page and is horribly cramped in comparison.

Full list of maps from the books:

Genabackis: The Malazan Campaign: Map showing most of Genabackis (excepting the southern coast), featured in Gardens of the Moon.
Darujhistan: City map of Darujhistan, featured in Gardens of the Moon, Toll the Hounds and Orb Sceptre Throne.
Seven Cities: The Malazan Empire: Map showing the Seven Cities subcontinent, featured in Deadhouse Gates.
Chain of Dogs: Coltaine's March: Detailed map (in two parts) showing the route of the 7th Army. Featured in Deadhouse Gates.
Genabackis: The Pannion War: Essentially the same map as in Gardens of the Moon, but with some errors fixed and borders changed. Featured in Memories of Ice.
Capustan: Eastern Genabackis: City map of Capustan. Featured in Memories of Ice.
Central Malazan Empire: A map showing the entirety of Quon Tali and the Falari Isles, as well as the coast of southern Seven Cities. Featured in House of Chains.
Northwest Genabackis: A detailed map of the Malyn and Owndos Sea regions of Genabackis. Featured in House of Chains.
Pan'arak Oasis: Raraku's Heart: Detailed map of the Pan'arak Oasis in Seven Cities. Featured in House of Chains.
Tiste Edur Lands and North Lether Frontier: Detailed map of the north-western part of Lether. Featured in Midnight Tides.
Central Letheras: City map of Letheras. Featured in Midnight Tides.
Central Malazan Empire: Quon Tali: A substantially more detailed version of the map in House of Chains, featuring only the southern part of Quon Tali. Featured in The Bonehunters and Return of the Crimson Guard.
Seven Cities: The Malazan Empire: A redrawn and revised version of the map of the same name from Deadhouse Gates. Featured in The Bonehunters.
Malaz City: City map of Malaz City, featured in the PS Publishing version of Night of Knives. Notable as it is a hand-drawn map by Steven Erikson and Ian Cameron Esslemont.
Malaz City: The same as the above, redrawn by Neil Gower. Featured in The Bonehunters and the Transworld and Tor versions of Night of Knives.
The Empire of Lether: A map showing most of the western half of Lether. Featured in Reaper's Gale and Dust of Dreams.
Black Coral and Environs: City map of Black Coral. Featured in Toll the Hounds.
Kolanse: A map of eastern Lether, focusing on the kingdom of Kolanse. Featured in The Crippled God.
Malaz Isle: A map of Malaz Island, featured in Night of Knives.
The Lands of Fist: A map of the Fistian subcontinent, featured in Stonewielder.
Main Installations of the Stormwall: A detailed map of the Stormwall. Featured in Stonewielder.
South Genabackis and Environs: A map of the south coast of Genabackis, featured in Orb Sceptre Throne.
The Isle of Jacuruku: A map of the island-continent of Jacuruku, featured in Blood and Bone.
The Blood Range: A detailed map of the Blood Range in Assail, featured in Assail.
Thal Akai, Jhagut, Tiste Realms: A map of the lands in Forge of Darkness. Note that these lands may not reside on the Malazan world.
Kurald Galain: A map of the lands of Kurald Galain in Forge of Darkness. Note that these lands may not reside on the Malazan world.
Kharkanas (central): City map of Kharkanas in Forge of Darkness. Note that these lands may not reside on the Malazan world.

Thank you for the links and the list, Werthead. I have added them to the Wiki as a reference source. Of the maps you have listed, the following are not currently on the Wiki:

A link for any of these would be brilliant.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users