Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

elder gods vs jaghut?

#1 User is offline   The Hust Legion 

• Lieutenant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 20 December 2014 - 11:21 PM

i dunno if his question has been asked before. i had a little peek around forums and i don't think i saw this exact question being asked. anyways over the entirety of the series i kinda saw elder gods and jaghut in the same light. probably because the jaghut we saw the most was hood and sometimes gothos both elder god level. but yeah jaghut in general are just generally shown to be quite powerful. there were never many to begin with and yet entire armies of tlan imass were required to take them down. i just got the feeling that jaghut as a whole belonged to the same level as the elder gods and the eleint, rather than with the tiste races, the FA etc etc. or am i being naive ?

#2 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 21 December 2014 - 01:22 AM

I am assuming you have not read Forge of Darkness.

The main issue, as you yourself admit is that the Jaghut with the most screentime are super-jaghut like Gothos, Hood or Raest. Their powers do indeed rival those of the elder gods. But does this apply to all jaghut? Think back to the prologue of MoI, did that mother Jaghut seem in the same league? For that matter think back to the Jaghut huntress who was ambushed by K'chain Nah'ruk in Seven Cities. All Jaghut are powerful, but I dont think all of them have Elder God levels of power. Which does not of course make them weak. The average Jaghut would be orders of magnitude more powerful than your average Tiste. Of course the Ascendant Tiste are in adiffernet league. As for the FA I think they should not be underestimated. They can be devastating.

#3 User is offline   The Hust Legion 

• Lieutenant

Posted 21 December 2014 - 01:59 AM

yeah i read forge and i dunno it just set up jag hut even more IMO even HAUT was or is slowly being built up to be a bad ass. and tlan imass are universally feared ( although as the series progresses they become less and less so lol) its just that the civilization in FOD was in my eyes described as like basically all knowing. the just dude in charge of the outer reaches wants to learn from it doesn't he? and ya FA were pretty powerful but in FOD they were beat by non aspected tiste. .... now i think about it FOD changed my view of things a lot. and i for one think kchain are pretty damn underrated *sigh* if only the nahruk mess didnt happen they would have probably remained top dog i mean their armies are pretty damn powerful. but I'm just saying by MBotF the elder gods are reduced in power. still powerhouses don't get me wrong but couple jaghut in one place would scare most people. even FA. oh btw i remember that the priests were the assail in FoD. i guess I'm just thinking what if the jaghut as a people waged war against elder gods. speaking of ascendant tiste. rake vs gothos, even though rake is my favourite character of the whole series i still think gothos could win, it would be damn damn DAYUM close.

This post has been edited by The Hust Legion: 21 December 2014 - 02:01 AM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users