Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Is Apsalar an Asendent

#1 User is offline   Whiskey Mike 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 19 December 2014 - 07:42 PM

Does it say anywhere specifically that she is or is it just interpretations. I see a lot people referencing her as Asendent.but I have yet to make that conclusion myself I just placed her as a mortal who was possessed.

#2 User is offline   hmqb 

• The Abyssmal Army's Official Cult Expert and Brainwasher
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 19 December 2014 - 10:06 PM

Possessed mortal, but by an ascendant... semantics I suppose.
-

#3 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 20 December 2014 - 02:20 AM

Apart from the Cotillion possession thing, she walked the Path of Hands and travelled through an Azath. That is not guaranteed to give Ascendant powers but can make some changes.

#4 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 20 December 2014 - 06:50 AM

For some reason, maybe because Cotillion hadn't done possession before, he left behind his imprint in Apsalar's body. She has his strength, speed and skill. By the very definition of ascendency, she has surpassed human limits of power.

By this logic Apsalar ascended in GotM's prologue when Cotillion took her.

#5 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 20 December 2014 - 08:13 AM

Could go either way. Ascendancy isn't exactly a "congratulations, you evolved into an ascendant [insert character name here]" thing. It's more like a journey, than anything. The more things you do, the closer you get until at some point you just are an ascendant - probably without realizing it.

Apsalar definitely has plenty going for her in that regard, so she probably is. Or at least close to it.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#6 User is offline   fish321 

• Recruit

Posted 20 December 2014 - 09:10 AM

What they said above about ascendancy being a path is the way I look at it. The thing about apsalar is that I'd say she was definitely on the path after being possessed, going through the azath and her actions that followed up to when she tore through the claw. I don't think though that she had become an ascendant when she walked away from it all. If she spends the rest of her life being a housewife to my least favorite character crokus, cooking, cleaning and bearing little versions of her whiny husband then I don't believe she crosses the line that separates mortality and immortality. I could be dead wrong as I'm not the malazan scholar that most here are but it is my take.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users