Malazan Empire: Constantine - The TV Show - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Constantine - The TV Show Network potentially cancelling it

#1 User is offline   Ribald 

• Scholar of High House Academia
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Freelance Editor, Advance Reader, and academic with a PhD in Fantasy Literature.

Posted 28 November 2014 - 12:52 PM

I recently read the news that the network has decided to put on hold any further production.

I have to admit that I am pretty disappointed as the series seems to be getting better and better.

There are very few series that are absolutely perfect straight out of the gate, and it takes time to not only build an audience, but also for the actors and writers to iron out issues and to develop the characters and stories.
Yet US networks seem to be very trigger happy when it comes to cancelling a series because it doesn't immediately become a smash hit with ridiculous viewing figures.

They also seem to discount foreign markets and potential dvd/blu-ray sales in any determination of the series being worthwhile.

The show itself has had a few teething problems, but it seems to be easing into its groove a little better now.
It is one of the few shows that I am genuinely enjoying and looking forward to, so I was just wondering what everyone else thought of the show.
Trust me, I'm a doctor.
www.thecriticaldragon.com

#2 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 28 November 2014 - 04:00 PM

I was enjoying it so far, so it's disappointing to hear that they're putting it on ice. But, at least it's not canceled, right?

#3 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 28 November 2014 - 04:03 PM

They haven't ordered the back nine for the season. While this isn't a good thing, obviously, it's partly because the show started very late in the fall show season and so they had to make the decision with a lot less information than they usually do. So they're hedging their bets- no back nine, but leaving it open for another season if it continues to improve in both numbers and quality, which it has been doing.

Tbh I'd much prefer if all seasons were 13 eps. 22 is way too long for almost every show.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#4 User is offline   Ribald 

• Scholar of High House Academia
  • Interests:Freelance Editor, Advance Reader, and academic with a PhD in Fantasy Literature.

Posted 28 November 2014 - 11:07 PM

Part of the problem is now people may be tempted to not bother with the show given that it could get cancelled so why should they bother getting invested in it.

A bit of a Catch 22.
Trust me, I'm a doctor.
www.thecriticaldragon.com

#5 User is offline   melonhead 

• Lieutenant

Posted 29 November 2014 - 09:38 PM

I didn't even know there was a tv series of this! I personally loved the movie, I know alot of people don't, but i thought it was sweet. Too bad its put on hold before i even knew about it :unsure:
Do you think God stays in heaven because he too, lives in fear of what he's created?Steve BuscemiSpy Kids 2

#6 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 23 March 2015 - 04:33 AM

Tried to watch the rest of the season, got bored. Just stock plot after predictable stock plot. Skipped to the finale, more of the same. The twist at the end didn't save it. Great idea horribly wasted on mediocre TV. Il hope a cable network picks up the property and does it right, but I'm not going to miss Constantine.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#7 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 23 March 2015 - 12:26 PM

I'm in the same boat. I deleted the last 2 episodes off the Tivo and cancelled the recording. There's enough other stuff I want to watch to waste my time on this.
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#8 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 23 March 2015 - 01:51 PM

Yeah, i think the delete casualty list was seven eps completely unseen.
The fact that I could skip to the finale, watch the whole thing and wholly not give a fuck what had gone on in the eps i skipped was telling.

And it blows my mind on some level to even write that about a Constantine show... ffs despite the lead, the Keanu movie was better.

#9 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 23 March 2015 - 02:52 PM

We've got 6 eps outstanding and it's not really interesting enough to watch over other shows!

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#10 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 23 March 2015 - 03:42 PM

the only really good episode was with the fallen Angel.
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#11 User is offline   Blend 

• Gentleman of High House Mafia
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 23 March 2015 - 04:15 PM

I really enjoyed the episode where Chaz had to give up one of his lives to destroy the crusty old sorcerer guy, and the two parter with Sister Whatserface, I thought, was really enjoyable. But I agree that there was lots of stock plot stuff. The big twist wasn't too surprising, I figured something of that sort was going to happen. *shrugs* I'd watch it if they made more, but I'm not super sad or anything that they're currently not.
There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail - should we fall - we will know that we have lived. ~ Anomander Rake
My sig comes from a game in which I didn't heed Blend's advice. So maybe this time I should. ~ Khellendros
I'm just going to have to come to terms with the fact that self-vote suiciding will forever be referred to as "pulling a JPK" now, aren't I? ~ JPK

#12 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 12 August 2015 - 01:56 PM

Well, it's official. Matt Ryan will be reprising his Constantine role as a guest star on ARROW...which will in turn have effect on LEGENDS OF TOMORROW...and I'll bet eventually he'll show up on FLASH.

Basically it sounds like the CW made a deal to pluck the character out of his failing show and save him. What a great idea!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#13 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 12 August 2015 - 02:04 PM

Good, because even if the show was not great, Ryan as Constantine was.

#14 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 12 August 2015 - 02:15 PM

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 12 August 2015 - 02:04 PM, said:

Good, because even if the show was not great, Ryan as Constantine was.

That was my general take as well. Plus Constantine works EXCEEDINGLY well as a guest character in the comics and always has...so this will hopefully be a long and fruitful union across all the CW DC shows...especially considering the FLASH is about to intro the Multiverse.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#15 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 12 August 2015 - 07:39 PM

I'm happy about this.
Ryan nailed the character, not his fault what the showrunners did with the show. And i could see him playing well off the ARROW cast.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users