Malazan Empire: The Stand 4 film movie adaptation - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Stand 4 film movie adaptation Matthew McConaughey signed to play Randall Flagg

#1 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 25 November 2014 - 03:30 PM

Boom!

http://comicbook.com...lagg-in-stephe/

If you'd have told me he'd play Flagg a few years ago i'd have told you you're crazy. Now i think its pretty fucking perfect.

Hope they do these books justice.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#2 User is offline   Ceda Cicero 

• Ceda of Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 25 November 2014 - 05:01 PM

View PostSlow Ben, on 25 November 2014 - 03:30 PM, said:

Boom!

http://comicbook.com...lagg-in-stephe/

If you'd have told me he'd play Flagg a few years ago i'd have told you you're crazy. Now i think its pretty fucking perfect.

Hope they do these books justice.

Couldn't agree more. I'm incredibly stoked by the news.

Now they just need to reunite him with Woody Harrelson by casting Woody as Stu Redman.

Posted Image

View PostIlluyankas, on 07 April 2011 - 08:37 PM, said:

How do you rape a cave? Do you ask, "You want to fuck, yes?" hear the echo come back, "Yes... es... es..." and get your barnacle-gouged groove on?

#3 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 25 November 2014 - 05:45 PM

That's a great choice actually. Well played.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#4 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 25 November 2014 - 10:32 PM

Yah, true, but at least here they seem to be making an honest attempt. And hopefully they rewrite the finale (since there's no need for Dark Tower stuff). Strangely enough the IT project is only getting split into two films, even though its material is so much richer.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#5 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGs_qK2PQA

Posted 25 November 2014 - 11:11 PM

I am pretty big King fan, so really looking forward to how they split it up into *4* movies.

I mean they did it to hungers games with four movies... Hunger games is only 270k words, The stand is 460k total words.

Hopefully this makes way for the Dark tower!
-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#6 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken

Posted 25 November 2014 - 11:12 PM

DT will happen Worry, just after Marvel drains superheroes dry so 2019-2020.

Omg this could awesome! On the other hand it could be norm King Crap. His books are fucking great but they just can't make a non corny movie/show out of my them 96% of the time it seems.

The tough part is the director that captures this right.

This post has been edited by Nicodimas: 25 November 2014 - 11:16 PM

-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#7 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 25 November 2014 - 11:19 PM

It might happen (Ron Howard was trying and failing for a while), but I'd prefer if The Stand was also The Standalone (just in its movie form, I mean).

#8 User is offline   Ceda Cicero 

• Ceda of Team Quick Ben

Posted 27 November 2014 - 04:13 AM

View Postworry, on 25 November 2014 - 11:19 PM, said:

It might happen (Ron Howard was trying and failing for a while), but I'd prefer if The Stand was also The Standalone (just in its movie form, I mean).

Agreed, though I wouldn't argue with a few winks and nods to DT fans (ala the painting of Roland in the beginning of the God-awful King film The Mist.)

Posted Image

How do you rape a cave? Do you ask, "You want to fuck, yes?" hear the echo come back, "Yes... es... es..." and get your barnacle-gouged groove on?

#9 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken

Posted 27 November 2014 - 05:00 AM

I liked the The Mist remake.

It's so easy to work in DT stuff in a movie without it even messing with the flow. They could be explicit probably and the gen audience wouldn't notice.

#10 User is offline   Battalion 

• Emperor

Posted 27 November 2014 - 07:21 AM

This was a great book but the ending kind of sucked, much like a lot of King's books. I have faint memories of a tv film they made years ago with the guy from CSI New York but can't recall if it was any good.
Get to the chopper!

#11 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 27 November 2014 - 07:55 AM

It was not.

#12 User is offline   Battalion 

• Emperor

Posted 27 November 2014 - 08:05 AM

That bad?
Get to the chopper!

#13 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 27 November 2014 - 08:20 AM

Been a long time since I saw it last. There's some decent casting, though nowhere near as strong a cast as IT, and some real doozy bad performances.

#14 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 27 November 2014 - 01:29 PM

Molly Ringwald was particularly horrible in it.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#15 User is offline   WinterPhoenix 

• First Sword

Posted 28 November 2014 - 10:23 PM

I stopped keeping up news on The Stand and possible movie adaptations some months ago, I am really stoked to see that they are planning to make 4 movies, it really needs at least a trilogy to be done properly. After having watched True Detective as well (still haven't gotten round to seeing The Dallas Buyers Club) I can really see Matthew McConaughey doing the character of Randall Flagg justice, I also agree that Harrelson as Stu Redman would be brilliant. I never watched the TV miniseries because I've pretty much only heard bad things about it, apart from some people praising Gary Sinise's performance as Stu.

What do people here think about casting for the rest of the characters? 4 movies suggests that most of them will appear in some manner I would have presumed. Someone like Nick Andros will be tough to cast, a deaf-mute character really requires some great acting I would imagine :/

Also much as I am certain McConaughey can do it justice, there a part of me that is disappointed we won't see Daniel Day-Lewis take the role on.
"I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust." T.S Eliot - The Wasteland

#16 User is offline   Ceda Cicero 

• Ceda of Team Quick Ben

Posted 28 November 2014 - 10:51 PM

I mean, considering the made-for-TV movies aired in the '90s and was, ah, made-for-TV, it isn't as God-awful terrible as it could have been. The ending is how the original publication of the book ended (more or less), before King released the unabridged version
Spoiler

#17 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 28 November 2014 - 10:54 PM

I read The Stand way back. It was one of the first books I read that dealt with a 'realistic' apocalypse; it was also one of the longest books I'd read. But I'm not sure, looking back, that I get the love for it.

Ok, two opposing forces arise in different US states, and survivors get drawn to each. There are some memorable characters, but the overall story and conclusion is pretty weak really.. I liked Flagg in the Eyes of the Dragon, but being a guy in cowboy boots who sends a crazy arsonist to bring him a nuke just doesn't really seem all that evil or clever, for that matter.( And what's the significance of him always having the initials RF?)

Sorry, haven't read it for years, maybe I missed something. I'm just not sure that it's worth four films, knowing how it ends.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 28 November 2014 - 10:58 PM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#18 User is offline   WinterPhoenix 

• First Sword

Posted 28 November 2014 - 11:09 PM

I am actually imagining the ending will be reimagined for Cinema, if there is one major problem with Stephen King's writing it is often his inability to write a good ending, I really can see a rewrite on the cards for the end in this case. Of course, then you have to worry about the track Record King movie adaptations have, a few great and alot of awful ones :/
"I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust." T.S Eliot - The Wasteland

#19 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 29 November 2014 - 08:28 AM

I think maybe the problem is that King stories just work better as books - the writing itself, the atmosphere, characters inner thoughts, creepyness etc are what makes them memorable; the aspects that make them good books don't transfer to the screen very well as these elements are much harder to show with any degree of success.

I hate it when a moment that was so good in a book appears on screen and is a total disappointment.

It might explain the shitty track record anyway.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 29 November 2014 - 08:29 AM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#20 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 01 December 2014 - 07:19 AM

Read the original book, loved it.Read the re extended version, didn't think it was wildly better for the extra stuff, but okay.Saw the TV series. It was a watchable eight hours that at its core had some of the book. It failed to really be the epic battle for the world that the book conveys, but hey, Rob Lowe got beat up a few times.
The thing is, in eight hours ... And in fact in the book at all... there were really all of two climaxes... The bomb and the finale. With TV that's ok because you can end an episode on a dramatic note if not an actual cliffhanger... But a two hour movie... That's going to leave an audience feeling more than a little ripped off. Which means major rewrites. Which means it won't be The Stand in the sense that World War Z wasn't World War Z. That doesn't mean they can't make good movies around the basic storyline, but color me sceptical.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users