Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ascension What's the formula?

#1 User is offline   Soletaken Toblakai 

• Corporal
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 20 November 2014 - 08:32 PM

I am half certain this question has been exhausted beyond "beyondness", but I've scoured the forum to as far back as I possibly could and I still couldn't find anything, so I guess I can get away with asking it yes?

The question itself is pretty simple, WHAT EXACTLY IS A BLOODY ASCENDANT!? The wikia only describes it as "someone who has transcended death" and I recall, Itkovian became an ascendant after dying, Dancer and Kelly Kel "faked" their deaths or something of a sort, the common denominator in all these incidences is that a certain ritual or process has to occur right? I mean if it only took death for one to ascend then... Not even worth an explanation. So do you have to have some kind of favour with a god to ascend, if so then who smiled upon the bridgeburners and Cotillion and Kelly Kel, and if not so, is it will power then? The insurmountable desire to just not die, then there's the ability to perform magic after, yes? Is it all aspected? I've never really got the full grasp of this whole ascendancy thing... Someone please break it down for a ninja. Dankie

This post has been edited by Soletaken Toblakai: 20 November 2014 - 08:35 PM

By the blood of the Eleint... Witness...

#2 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 20 November 2014 - 09:28 PM

There isn't a formula. It's leveling up, basically, beyond the threshold of your species' traits (be that mortality/affinity for sorcery/whatever). If you're seeking an answer for what grants ascendency, then that's a mystery. In-world the most plausible answer is the Azath I suppose. But you might as well chalk it up to the Dungeon Master/author...he or she grants everything.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#3 User is offline   Fiddler 

• Fiddler

Posted 30 November 2014 - 05:11 AM

Ascendancy in the Malazan world has many different paths, Soletaken, D'ivers and then there's swearing yourself to a God in exchange for rewards (that never ever come true how you think they will). There's just whole bunches of ways to Ascend.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users