Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Itko Kan Massacre

#1 User is offline   Egwene 

• Emperor
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 31 October 2014 - 10:43 PM

I am editing the content of the first chapter for the Wikia and need a bit of advice on a couple of points.

1)There are references to a recruitment drive in Kan, the Fist of Kan and that recruitment is better outside the city. Does Kan = Itko Kan? On the maps I don't see a city by the name of just Kan. I am assuming that Kan is simply the shortform for Itko Kan, however, an older Wikia entry mentions Kan as being the capitol of Itko Kan. There is no supporting source reference for that statement. Any ideas?

2)The massacre site is under the control of the captain of the local garrison. A little later, Paran visits Gerrom and finds the inhabitants of the local constabulary killed, including the captain. Paran was ordered to go straight to Gerrom and the garrison captain was still with Lorn at that point, also from Paran's musings, him surveying the massacre site and going to Gerrom happened on the same day which makes me think that there are two captains, one of the garrison and one of the constabulary. Do people agree with this?

#2 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 01 November 2014 - 01:45 AM

Egwene, on 31 October 2014 - 10:43 PM, said:

I am editing the content of the first chapter for the Wikia and need a bit of advice on a couple of points.

1)There are references to a recruitment drive in Kan, the Fist of Kan and that recruitment is better outside the city. Does Kan = Itko Kan? On the maps I don't see a city by the name of just Kan. I am assuming that Kan is simply the shortform for Itko Kan, however, an older Wikia entry mentions Kan as being the capitol of Itko Kan. There is no supporting source reference for that statement. Any ideas?

2)The massacre site is under the control of the captain of the local garrison. A little later, Paran visits Gerrom and finds the inhabitants of the local constabulary killed, including the captain. Paran was ordered to go straight to Gerrom and the garrison captain was still with Lorn at that point, also from Paran's musings, him surveying the massacre site and going to Gerrom happened on the same day which makes me think that there are two captains, one of the garrison and one of the constabulary. Do people agree with this?

1. Regarding Kan and Itko Kan, my reading is that Itko Kan is both the name for a city as well as its surrounding area, with Kan being the abbreviation:

'The Empire's been grinding this land down for a hundred years. You was born in it. I wasn't. When I was your age Itko Kan was a country. We flew a banner and it was ours. We were free, lass.'

There are numerous references to the city as just Kan, but I believe that in the map it is always Itko Kan.

2.You are correct that there were two captains. One was the captain of the Itko Kan garrison, who had commanded the quarantine of the massacre area and who talked with Adjunct Lorn. The second captain was the captain of the local guard/constabulary in Gerrom who Paran finds dead.

It had been a bad day, with the local captain roaring off with three companies and leaving not one solid rumour in their wake about what was going on.

This was the PoV of Aragan, Staff Sergeant, Recruitment, in Kan.

#3 User is offline   Egwene 

• Emperor

Posted 02 November 2014 - 11:08 AM

Andorion, on 01 November 2014 - 01:45 AM, said:

1. Regarding Kan and Itko Kan, my reading is that Itko Kan is both the name for a city as well as its surrounding area, with Kan being the abbreviation:

'The Empire's been grinding this land down for a hundred years. You was born in it. I wasn't. When I was your age Itko Kan was a country. We flew a banner and it was ours. We were free, lass.'

There are numerous references to the city as just Kan, but I believe that in the map it is always Itko Kan.

2.You are correct that there were two captains. One was the captain of the Itko Kan garrison, who had commanded the quarantine of the massacre area and who talked with Adjunct Lorn. The second captain was the captain of the local guard/constabulary in Gerrom who Paran finds dead.

It had been a bad day, with the local captain roaring off with three companies and leaving not one solid rumour in their wake about what was going on.

This was the PoV of Aragan, Staff Sergeant, Recruitment, in Kan.

Thanks, Andorion.

1)Unless there are objections, I'll proceed on the assumption that Kan = Itko Kan = Kan

2)Trouble with that statement is the 'the local captain' bit. Makes it sound like there is only the one. I suppose civic affairs may not count to the Sergeant's mind but it leaves that slight sense of ambiguity...

This post has been edited by Egwene: 02 November 2014 - 11:08 AM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users