Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Navigation on the wikia Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 30 October 2014 - 04:54 PM

So I'm loving some of the changes on the new wiki (especially the pictures), but does anyone else find it really unintuitive to navigate around? The bar on the top for example doesn't seem to have been edited in a long time, and links to dead content (I can't figure out how to edit that bar either). Meanwhile the side bar links to categories pages which again are pretty unintuitive in terms of navigating around, and this can't even be accessed from most places in the wiki. I was going to do a little bit of work on cleaning up these categories, but it would make sense for the sidebar, and top bar to have the same links to minimise work.

I was thinking the major categories would be:

People, split into:
Malazans
Crimson Guard
Letherii
Tiste
Gods and Ascendants
and Other

Though I could see the logic of adding extra categories for residents of seven cities, korel, genabackis, jacuruku and assail who otherwise would fall mainly other malazan and other, any thoughts?

Races, split into:
Human
Non-human
Demons

Geography, leading to the world map with subcategories for each continent

Magic, split into
Warrens
Deck of Dragons
The holds

Gods, and soletaken and d'ivers could also be subcategories here

The other obvious subcategories we should probably have are books and interviews

Any thoughts? Suggestions for a better category system, the system I talked about would seem to fit in fairly easily with what already exists without breaking things down too far.

#2 User is offline   Egwene 

• Emperor
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 30 October 2014 - 08:59 PM

What do you mean with the bar on the top?

I hardly ever use the navigation categories, just the search box in the left hand pane.

#3 User is offline   Egwene 

• Emperor

Posted 30 October 2014 - 09:07 PM

Ah... had another look... are you by any chance looking at it without being logged in?

When not logged in, there is a top bar, and yes, it isn't very good... have never looked at it before... I am sure that we could do better...

I am off to ponder...

#4 User is offline   Jade Raven 

• Corporal

Posted 01 November 2014 - 01:20 AM

I use a secondary browser (in my case Chrome) to check how things are for those inflicted with the default layout.

Egwene a tool you might find useful: http://tardis.wikia....stall_this_code

Last time I tried to do something about the top bar I got mad when I could find out how to change it's font colour and gave up on it. Here is the page that controls it's content.
I am an Admin at the Malazan Wiki. [ malazan.wikia.com ]

#5 User is offline   Egwene 

• Emperor

Posted 02 November 2014 - 10:16 AM

View PostJade Raven, on 01 November 2014 - 01:20 AM, said:

I use a secondary browser (in my case Chrome) to check how things are for those inflicted with the default layout.

Egwene a tool you might find useful: http://tardis.wikia....stall_this_code

Last time I tried to do something about the top bar I got mad when I could find out how to change it's font colour and gave up on it. Here is the page that controls it's content.

Thanks for the heads up, Jade Raven. I do often look at the Wikia without logging in, but being able to switch like that is obviously really useful. Can you help me with this? I don't understand where I am supposed to create the page which I then c&p the code into.

#6 User is offline   Jade Raven 

• Corporal

Posted 14 November 2014 - 08:21 AM

• Click here.
  • Edit the page (it may be a new page for you, in which case you'll need to create it, rather than edit it.)
  • Copy and paste the following text:

Which part of those instructions aren't working?

Sorry for late reply.

#7 User is offline   Egwene 

• Emperor

Posted 14 November 2014 - 11:09 AM

View PostJade Raven, on 14 November 2014 - 08:21 AM, said:

• Click here.
  • Edit the page (it may be a new page for you, in which case you'll need to create it, rather than edit it.)
  • Copy and paste the following text:

Which part of those instructions aren't working?

Sorry for late reply.

It's the 'create' bit... where? On the Malazan Wiki? I'm afraid I need instructions that don't assume I already know the basics *sigh*. It's like telling people to copy and paste... some still need to be told where to find those functions... I have, thankfully, mastered that bit some time ago, but still... just assume I am 'computer blind', take my hand, and lead me through it step by step :-)

#8 User is offline   Jade Raven 

• Corporal

Posted 15 November 2014 - 07:06 AM

Wait, you are logged in right? It wont work if your not logged in.

If the link doesn't auto-resolve to your name then this should be it: http://community.wik...mpire/global.js

I can't see a create or edit button either, but that's because I'm not logged in as you. There is a chance that this feature has since been locked to new users though.

This is my page: http://community.wik...Raven/global.js

#9 User is offline   Egwene 

• Emperor

Posted 17 November 2014 - 11:49 AM

View PostJade Raven, on 15 November 2014 - 07:06 AM, said:

Wait, you are logged in right? It wont work if your not logged in.

If the link doesn't auto-resolve to your name then this should be it: http://community.wik...mpire/global.js

I can't see a create or edit button either, but that's because I'm not logged in as you. There is a chance that this feature has since been locked to new users though.

This is my page: http://community.wik...Raven/global.js

Thanks, it worked :)

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users