Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Prologue Timeline

#1 User is offline   BellaGrace 

• Witness
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 27 October 2014 - 10:03 PM

I have been wondering how long Silchas Ruin was trapped in the Azoth house. I find it hard to come up with a timeline sometimes in this series. 100,000 years? 5,000? I read somewhere that Rake and his brothers are 300k years old and I know the Edur and K'Chain fight happened shortly after the Tiste Andii came to the Malazan world - but none of that helps me figure out how long has passed since that happened.

I did a search for this topic and there are a lot of timeline related threads, but I didn't see anything that addressed this topic.
I, a universe of atoms, an atom in the universe.
Richard P. Feynman

#2 User is offline   Defiance 

• Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
  • Interests:Malazan, RPGs, writing

Posted 28 October 2014 - 09:27 AM

Don't get too caught up with the timeline. It'll only drive you crazy.

That said, we know it's far more than 100,000 years. We know that because Silchas was imprisoned during the Crippled God's fall (he witnessed it only through visions). Past that, it's really hard to say.
uhm, that should be 'stuff.' My stiff is never nihilistic.
~Steven Erikson

Mythwood: Play-by-post RP board.

#3 User is offline   ginfish 

• Recruit

Posted 30 October 2014 - 12:14 AM

View PostDefiance, on 28 October 2014 - 09:27 AM, said:

Don't get too caught up with the timeline. It'll only drive you crazy.

That said, we know it's far more than 100,000 years. We know that because Silchas was imprisoned during the Crippled God's fall (he witnessed it only through visions). Past that, it's really hard to say.

I just finished Midnight Tides (Today) and i thought i was losing it over the timeline aswell. Had to go and check to make sure that this happened BEFORE the events in previous books, etc...

#4 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 30 October 2014 - 10:45 AM

Somewhere between 120,000 and 350,000 years before Burn's Sleep, roughly. Think that's about as accurate as it gets. It is way before TCG got called down (119,739 BBS). We might get a better indication through the Kharkanas trilogy.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#5 User is offline   BellaGrace 

• Witness

Posted 30 October 2014 - 02:43 PM

Thanks - I already knew the main story line timeline is a bit wonky with regard to dates but I've never been clear about any of the events that are "ancient history". Now that I'm reading Reaper's Gale, it was more important for me to at least get a general handle on how long ago all that happened.

I also wondered about how long TCG had been around. That 119k number is helpful (I had been super confused in a previous book when it was stated that Cotillion and Ammanas were present at the chaining - until I realized there had been many chainings).

This post has been edited by BellaGrace: 30 October 2014 - 02:44 PM

I, a universe of atoms, an atom in the universe.
Richard P. Feynman

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users