Malazan Empire: Shootings on Parliament Hill! - Malazan Empire

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Shootings on Parliament Hill! The Canadian one!

#1 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 22 October 2014 - 02:30 PM

Possible terrorist shooting thing happening in Canada's capital.

Right now.

Like a block away from me.

Groove officially messed.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#2 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 22 October 2014 - 02:50 PM

I heard at least 30 shots fired and the Canadian Parliament closed but no reported deaths or injuries yet. Good to know you're alright.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#3 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 22 October 2014 - 03:28 PM

1 injury reported now - a soldier on duty at the national war memorial was apparently shot by the shooter (who then got in/hijacked a car and drove past parliament shooting at the front of it).

edit update: now saying a security guard within parliament was also wounded

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#4 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 22 October 2014 - 03:33 PM

The Globe and Mail video of what happened INSIDE the Parliament building is SCARY. An absolute barrage of gunfire.

The family and friends I have in Ottawa are thankfully safe.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 22 October 2014 - 03:33 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#5 User is offline   Grief 

• Prophet of High House Mafia

Posted 22 October 2014 - 04:09 PM

I first saw it on Reddit as "Shots fired at Canadian Parliament", and my first assumption was that some politician had come up with a particularly witty put-down. Sadly discovered my error shortly afterwards.

Hope anyone in the area stays safe.

Cougar said:

Grief, FFS will you do something with your sig, it's bloody awful

worry said:

Grief is right (until we abolish capitalism).

#6 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 22 October 2014 - 04:15 PM

Three locations of gunfire according to police: War Memorial, Parliment Hill, and Rideau Shopping Centre.

Nearer to me my relatives in the east say that 3 F-18's just took off from CFB Trenton. Don't know where they are going.

UPDATE: Schools and businesses near Trenton, ON... gone into lockdown now, for indeterminate reasons.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 22 October 2014 - 04:22 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#7 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 22 October 2014 - 04:31 PM

Police snipers on the rooftops around where i am.
Swat teams in the street.
Just spent about 15 minute taking cover while the building was cleared or something... not really clear on the details but there were about 100 rcmp officers with drawn guns.

#8 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 22 October 2014 - 04:34 PM

Flipping heck I hope all our Canadian lot are safe. Thanks for reporting in Abyss.

That video is insane, the reverb in that building makes for one terrifying echo chamber!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#9 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 22 October 2014 - 04:48 PM

Further updates:

CFB Trenton in full lockdown, armed guards at all entrances, media being shut out.

Yonge & Sheppard in Toronto (offices) have apparently gone into lockdown, for unknown reasons. (This one freaks me out)

Vancouver, Calgary, Montreal, Ottawa (obviously), Toronto, and Quebec City has all had their terror threat levels raised to medium or high (depending on the news outlet)

One gunman taken out in the parliament building, but at least 2 or 3 still at large (possibly more?). No reports on who they are.

Abyss, glad you're safe man...stay safe!

I thought we'd hear from my stepbrother, but we haven't yet. Hoping he's okay. He works at a hospital downtown.

#10 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 22 October 2014 - 05:07 PM

Hey I hope all the people in Canada are Ok. Does anybody know anything about Montreal? I got a friend at university there.

#11 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 22 October 2014 - 05:09 PM

View PostAndorion, on 22 October 2014 - 05:07 PM, said:

Hey I hope all the people in Canada are Ok. Does anybody know anything about Montreal? I got a friend at university there.

Nothing going on in Montreal as of now.

#12 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 22 October 2014 - 05:13 PM

View PostAbyss, on 22 October 2014 - 05:09 PM, said:

View PostAndorion, on 22 October 2014 - 05:07 PM, said:

Nothing going on in Montreal as of now.

Thanks. I hope you are safe now. One gunman is apparently down, but other shooters maybe on the loose. I found this site, which is giving updates, hope its some good

Canada Shooting

#13 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 22 October 2014 - 05:13 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 22 October 2014 - 04:48 PM, said:

Abyss, glad you're safe man...stay safe!

I thought we'd hear from my stepbrother, but we haven't yet. Hoping he's okay. He works at a hospital downtown.

Tnx.

FYI Ottawa geography, if you actually mean a hospital as opposed to a clinic, there's only one 'downtown' and it's about six blocks or more away from the closest shooting. Just based on what i'm seeing being only a block away from two of the sites, i'm thinking he's on lockdown but fine.

Cell phone networks here are as you might expect all kinds of tied up atm.

#14 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 22 October 2014 - 05:14 PM

Friend of mine who goes to MacGill said they were testing their emergency text-all-students system, but I don't think there's reason to believe anything will actually happen there. People/businesses/organizations are just being very cautious (I bet every school in eastern Ontario is in a lockdown now, could be the same reason an office in Toronto would lock itself, too).

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#15 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 22 October 2014 - 05:16 PM

View PostD, on 22 October 2014 - 05:14 PM, said:

Friend of mine who goes to MacGill said they were testing their emergency text-all-students system, but I don't think there's reason to believe anything will actually happen there. People/businesses/organizations are just being very cautious (I bet every school in eastern Ontario is in a lockdown now, could be the same reason an office in Toronto would lock itself, too).

Yep.

I'm in touch with people in Mtl and TO and that's pretty much the case to one extent or another. Gov and military are pretty much on lockdown, other institutions are variations of full lockdown to extra security.

#16 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 22 October 2014 - 05:34 PM

Reports are now that the solider shot at the War Memorial has died of his injuries. He was a reservist from Hamilton.

Sad.

There is also now roving power outages in and around Ottawa? That seems to be what I hear.

#17 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 22 October 2014 - 05:41 PM

I am copy pasting what is said to be a Parliamentary Security Alert:

The latest Parliamentary security alert:

ALL BUILDINGS remain in lockdown. Do not leave your current location until you receive instructions from Security Services.

THIS MEANS stay in your office, with the doors locked and away from the windows. If your door does not lock, find a way to barricade the door, if possible. *** Do not open the door under any circumstances. Security Services has the required keys.

When the Evacuation of Centre Block begins, evacuees will be directed to East Block and are to remain there until further notice from Security Services.

This post has been edited by Andorion: 22 October 2014 - 05:42 PM

#18 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:beer, party.

Posted 22 October 2014 - 06:16 PM

Details are scant and the best coverage at the moment is on CBC

A guy with a gun apparently just showed up and started shooting up the Canadian parliament.

He shot a soldier standing guard at the war memorial before siezing a car, driving up in front of the parliament building and firing a bunch of shots inside before the seargent-at-arms killed him.

There's at least one other suspect too -- not sure his involvement yet but the downtown of Ottawa is on lockdown as they search for him.

Some passers-by tried to revive the soldier that was shot, but he has now died, sadly.

I hope they catch the other fucker(s) involved with this very soon. I also fervently hope that CBC closes the comments section for this story...some pretty insensitive and outlandish stuff getting said on there right now considering the severity of the situation and lack of information regarding the motivations of the shooter. One commenter actually was actually saying he/she wished the prime minister was shot! FFS....how much of a throbbing dickhead do you have to be to submit that kind of comment???

This post has been edited by cerveza_fiesta: 22 October 2014 - 06:17 PM

........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#19 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 22 October 2014 - 06:25 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 22 October 2014 - 05:34 PM, said:

Reports are now that the solider shot at the War Memorial has died of his injuries. He was a reservist from Hamilton.

Sad.

On honor guard duty, no less.

One of my coworkers was right there when it went down. Chilling.

There is also now roving power outages in and around Ottawa? That seems to be what I hear.

Not sure how widespread but there have been a couple. No suggestion it's related to anything else tho'.

#20 User is offline   Blend 

• Gentleman of High House Mafia
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 22 October 2014 - 06:26 PM

As of right now, there are three suspected shooters.

One person shot a soldier who was guarding the War Memorial in the back around 9:30am. That soldier is now dead. Shooter seems to be at large now.

One of the shooters got into Parliament and was shot by the Sergeant at Arms (there's a video out there of this shooting).

There's another shooter at large, with possibility of violence near the Chateau Laurier and the Rideau Centre.

All of downtown Ottawa is locked down. I work in downtown Ottawa, as do a few cousins of mine, and none of us are allowed to leave the buildings.
There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail - should we fall - we will know that we have lived. ~ Anomander Rake
My sig comes from a game in which I didn't heed Blend's advice. So maybe this time I should. ~ Khellendros
I'm just going to have to come to terms with the fact that self-vote suiciding will forever be referred to as "pulling a JPK" now, aren't I? ~ JPK

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users