• 8 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Final Fantasy Series FFXV and then the whole series

#1 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 18 September 2014 - 05:32 PM

I'm a diehard FF fan...but I've not truly enjoyed one since FFX...and the launch trailer gave me hope (love the intermingling of the future/modern world with the monsters and kings fantastical one)...

...and I think this newly dropped gameplay trailer (aside form the cheesy dialogue of course) cinches it for me.

anyone else looking forward to this outing? Or are we too worried it's going to be more of the same for the last 4 editions?

I think the thing that makes me most excited, is the removal of the antiquated time/turn-based battle system. You know, the whole stand in front of the enemy, jump at them and strike and wait for them to do it back...something I've always hated...in favour of the very successful and fast-paced KINGDOM HEARTS system of the commands being readily available as you run around the screen and you can strike whichever enemy you want at any time. It's going to mean more and more powerful enemies....but for me it means no longer having to suffer battelscreens. As far as I'm concerned the KINGDOM HEARTS battle system is the pinnacle of the RPG design in current games. That FFXIII ever went back to the battle screen system (sort of) was beyond me when KH1 perfected their system on the PS2.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#2 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 18 September 2014 - 06:32 PM

View PostBriar King, on 18 September 2014 - 06:10 PM, said:

I consider myself a big FF fan. Never played 11 or 14(thinking about trying now I have this PS4), and I've not been able to finish up XIII 2. I've heard some pretty bad things about XIII 3 so I ll prob never get around to that one.

XIII looked STELLAR at the time and showed us what the PS3 could bring to an FF but the looks were about the only good thing.

Now XII is the last I really liked. It was at the tail end of the PS2 and it pushed that machine to the limit resulting in some great eye candy. I dug the story also and quite enjoyed the new take on battles.

The thing that aggros me most is not having an airship I can take anywhere and set down since IX.

Now this trailer LOOKS great but it has taken SO long to finish and even went through a name change to become XV. I really hope it pays off and actually releases next yr.

Indeed. All great points. I THINK...you eventually get an airship in this one. And I think that's because the world is so massive you will eventually need it to get around (after the road trip portion obvs). You at least see airships in the trailer.

And yeah, FFXIII was great on paper and looked fantastic...but what a linear, boring and mostly Cinematic-cut game. I mean I think I played for all of ten minutes total in the first two hours.

I'm really hoping they are bringing this series back home to where it was aweosme. I mean FF VII to FFX are all gold...with only a BIT of a stumble with VIII gameplay and graphics.

IX and X are my two faves because of how different they were from one another, but both infinitely playable.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#3 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe

Posted 18 September 2014 - 06:36 PM

Trying not to get excited but I cannot help it... I am!

But I remember how much I was loooking forward to XIII so... more a wait and see! Let's hope they have learnt their lessons from that experience!

As for battle systems - favourite has to be from the Tales games so far!

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#4 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 18 September 2014 - 07:54 PM

View Postchamp, on 18 September 2014 - 06:36 PM, said:

I've not played that. Good?

View PostBriar King, on 18 September 2014 - 06:54 PM, said:

I've got a special place in my heart for VIII since one day in 1999 when I was watching TV and I saw the trailer and my eyes got big and jaw dropped open and I was out the door speeding to Walmart to grab a PS and game. Was back home in 20 mins hooking it up. I had sold my Nin and Sega 2 yrs before then because games just didn't interest me anymore so that day was a big deal. I love VIII for that.

I had a similar experience with VII. I recall a two page spread ad in a gaming mag I was reading and it was a picture of Sephiroth peering up into a face in the wall, it had widescreen black bars on the top and bottom and all it said was "You can actually hear your pupils dilate."...and the logo for the game was tiny in the bottom right corner. It was a stunning ad to turn the page to...and I made sure I was at the store the DAY that game dropped and I also have to buy a PS to play it, and then I played it for weeks solid.

#5 User is offline   Blend 

• Gentleman of High House Mafia
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 18 September 2014 - 08:16 PM

Welp, it looks like I'm going to have to buy a PS4 soon!
There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail - should we fall - we will know that we have lived. ~ Anomander Rake
My sig comes from a game in which I didn't heed Blend's advice. So maybe this time I should. ~ Khellendros
I'm just going to have to come to terms with the fact that self-vote suiciding will forever be referred to as "pulling a JPK" now, aren't I? ~ JPK

#6 User is offline   champ 

Posted 18 September 2014 - 10:20 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 18 September 2014 - 07:54 PM, said:

View Postchamp, on 18 September 2014 - 06:36 PM, said:

I've not played that. Good?

View PostBriar King, on 18 September 2014 - 09:08 PM, said:

Also the only Tales Ive played is Tales of Symphonia on the GameCube and yes it was indeed a fun game.

Im actually thinking about getting the latest 2 Tales games on PS3. Tales of Xillia 1 & 2. They are "cell shaded(like Zelda Windwaker) so if you dont like that look you maybe put off.

I played both the Tales of Symphonia games on the Wii and I must have thrown over 80 hours into the first game collecting everything, it was great and it was the battle system that made it...

Typical FF dungeon you would get to the point where the random battles were getting annoying, with Tales you actually look for the battles it is that fun!

You can get both the Wii games on PS3 under Tales of Symphonia Chronicles but they look a bit dated now... if you can look beyond that then it is a recommend!

I preferred the Wii Tales over Tales of Xillia but that was still a very enjoyable game, haven't played the 2nd one yet.

edit

They have a very similar battle system to Rogue Galaxy and if you haven't played that then that is a must, even if it was a PS2 game!

This post has been edited by champ: 18 September 2014 - 10:22 PM

Tehol said:

#7 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 19 September 2014 - 02:38 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 18 September 2014 - 05:32 PM, said:

I think the thing that makes me most excited, is the removal of the antiquated time/turn-based battle system. You know, the whole stand in front of the enemy, jump at them and strike and wait for them to do it back...something I've always hated...in favour of the very successful and fast-paced KINGDOM HEARTS system of the commands being readily available as you run around the screen and you can strike whichever enemy you want at any time. It's going to mean more and more powerful enemies....but for me it means no longer having to suffer battelscreens. As far as I'm concerned the KINGDOM HEARTS battle system is the pinnacle of the RPG design in current games. That FFXIII ever went back to the battle screen system (sort of) was beyond me when KH1 perfected their system on the PS2.

I liked the "active time battle" system that they started using in FFIV and beyond. I really, really did. But starting with FFVII they started having a huge fetish for the visuals of the battle and everything lost its pacing - summons and magic attacks took huge amounts of time with the camera zooming in on them, while consequently enemies began to attack much slower to deal with the loss of player focus. The whole thing started having huge pacing issues, and rather than try to fix these issues they just made the battles seem harder by making enemies have craptons of health, but ultimately they are all very easy. Also, limits are easily overused and dumb (desperation moves were way better).

It was only in FFVI and earlier that I felt like I needed to be paying attention to the battle all the time and that I was almost always "doing something" rather than just watching the animations. And I liked that. Managing four characters (or five if you go even earlier) also added challenge and fun, but again they dumbed this down to 3 from VII onwards.

I absolutely agree that the more recent FF games' combat systems were terrible, but I already only think of FFV or VI when I think of "FF-style combat" because that was when it was actually good. And while moving to an action-RPG single-character-live-control system like Kingdom Hearts might be more enjoyable combat than the last eight FF games, it also means to me the series losing even more of its original soul. They should really just stop making FF games and have the team working on FF start a new IP that doesn't feel the need to even call itself by that name.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#8 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 19 September 2014 - 05:39 AM

I'm a so-so FF fan. I loved FF8, FF7 and FF10 thoroughly (and in that order considering how good I think they were). I tried FF12 and didn't like it at all. I'm a conservative when it comes to the battle screen and time-turn combat system, for me it's just a staple of the series and an essential part of the game. If I want different combat mechanics I go play a different RPG. Simple as that.

Good thing they're making the HD remakes for guys like me :)
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#9 User is offline   Tarthenal Theloman Toblakai 

• Engineer Extraordinaire!
  • Interests:Engineering, books, films, gaming, gym, running, mountain biking

Posted 19 September 2014 - 06:29 AM

If they bring out a true Final Fantasy that deserves the name, like 1-10 then I am there. Hell I enjoyed replaying FF3 WAY more than playing 13. That was a pretty terrible game IMO and a huge disappointment. 7 and 10 particularly are two of the best games ever and I am currently replaying X HD on my Vita, I bought the vita, pretty much just for X HD! and also for the future crossover of the PS4.

Tales games are awesome, they are one ofthe only RPGs that you can actually play with friends! Get 3 friends, and you can all control a character in combat. Its awesome. Plus with the Anime graphics the games never really go out of date. Tales of Symphonia and the original gem from the Cube, and was followed by 2 on the Wii, both now available in HD on PS3, something I am definitely going to do. I did half of the 1st one before selling the cube for an Xbox I think way back. I got Tales of Graces f on the PS3 and its simply awesome. My friend and I are playing it together, the combat is my favourite of all RPGs (although I really like the strategy of Fire Emblem, and Final Fantasy turn based). There are crap loads of collectables and legendary monsters that are to be taken down for rich rewards. I am currently playing Xillia on my own, and it keeps up the name of greatness for the series for sure. I have Tales of the Abyss on the 3DS but haven't played much currently, its very pretty and the style, story telling, and game play is true to the series. Xillia 2 just come out, so thats on my list lol, and there is another Tales game due on the PS3 next year, and one on the Vita.

DO NOT BE PUT OFF BY THE ONE PER YEAR RELEASE PLEASE! I can't stress this enough, each game is unique in plot, world building and characters as far as I am concerned, and each release changes the level system, improves combat, adds different variations of things like cooking and magic, and is definitely a boon to the series and not a hinderance. I don't know how they bring one out each year, and keep the quality, but they do.

Sorry for the thread derail, but when it takes so long for an FF game to come out, and its been so long since a True awesome FF has been released, a brother needs something to play! lol
"There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail — should we fall — we will know that we have lived." ― Anomander Rake, Son of Darkness

#10 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 19 September 2014 - 01:20 PM

View PostD, on 19 September 2014 - 02:38 AM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 18 September 2014 - 05:32 PM, said:

I liked the "active time battle" system that they started using in FFIV and beyond. I really, really did. But starting with FFVII they started having a huge fetish for the visuals of the battle and everything lost its pacing - summons and magic attacks took huge amounts of time with the camera zooming in on them, while consequently enemies began to attack much slower to deal with the loss of player focus. The whole thing started having huge pacing issues, and rather than try to fix these issues they just made the battles seem harder by making enemies have craptons of health, but ultimately they are all very easy. Also, limits are easily overused and dumb (desperation moves were way better).

It was only in FFVI and earlier that I felt like I needed to be paying attention to the battle all the time and that I was almost always "doing something" rather than just watching the animations. And I liked that. Managing four characters (or five if you go even earlier) also added challenge and fun, but again they dumbed this down to 3 from VII onwards.

I absolutely agree that the more recent FF games' combat systems were terrible, but I already only think of FFV or VI when I think of "FF-style combat" because that was when it was actually good. And while moving to an action-RPG single-character-live-control system like Kingdom Hearts might be more enjoyable combat than the last eight FF games, it also means to me the series losing even more of its original soul. They should really just stop making FF games and have the team working on FF start a new IP that doesn't feel the need to even call itself by that name.

A very good point. I've actually seen it mentioned before that if you werne't told that FFXV was Final Fantasy, it could very well be a whole different IP.

That said, since the last few games have been such shit, I think I'm truly on board with it growing out of its roots to become something that, though it may not resemble the classic FF games, is nonetheless more playable.

Your comments about pacing issues are bang on. In more recent games where the rest of the game goes so fast, trying to nail down an active time battle system that works without resorting to the need for battle screens, zooms, specific character animations, jump & strike, and even the Loot/Win screen (with the classic Duh-duhn-duhn-duhn du-du-du-du-duuuuuuu) is way too difficult and can end up a dogs breakfast of trying to please the old FF crowd and the new. It's progression that takes it away from its roots, but sometimes that's warranted to deliver a playable title. At least that's my view on it.

Though, like I mentioned, I am a massive, massive fan of the KH battle system...Secret Of Mana, and Zelda were some earlier ones that I loved with this feature...but yeah, ever since I played the KH games, my heart lies with the action-RPG system.

#11 User is offline   Blend 

• View gallery

Posted 19 September 2014 - 02:14 PM

I don't understand what everyone's problems with the FFXIII games are - I thought they were all great games, and each had merit of their own. I agree that they're nowhere near as good as some of the older games, but they're far from being terrible games.

I'll agree that nothing beats Final Fantasy in its hayday - FFVI is still the absolute best of the bunch, followed closely by FFVII. I thought FFVIII was my least favourite, and never played FFV very much, but I thoroughly enjoyed every single other Final Fantasy that was released, each for what they brought to the Final Fantasy game genre.

As for battle systems, my absolute favourite one was from FFXII - I thought the whole idea of gambits was just really interesting, and I felt that it stuck to the old Final Fantasy feeling while updating things just enough.
There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail - should we fall - we will know that we have lived. ~ Anomander Rake
My sig comes from a game in which I didn't heed Blend's advice. So maybe this time I should. ~ Khellendros
I'm just going to have to come to terms with the fact that self-vote suiciding will forever be referred to as "pulling a JPK" now, aren't I? ~ JPK

#12 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 19 September 2014 - 02:21 PM

View PostBlend, on 19 September 2014 - 02:14 PM, said:

I don't understand what everyone's problems with the FFXIII games are - I thought they were all great games, and each had merit of their own. I agree that they're nowhere near as good as some of the older games, but they're far from being terrible games.

2 BIG reasons.

1. You watch more cinematics over the course of half the game, than you spend actually playing...and a lot of the "playing" in the first two hours consisted of 1 or 2 battles, and then a bunch of specific button pushes from prompts on-screen.

2. It's REALLY, horribly, linear. One fo the best thngs about FF has always been the blown open world, the side quests, the ability to basically choose what sections of the game you want to play, leveling up was always fun because you could go to an area that was WAY out of your HP/MP zone and challenge yourself to level up on baddies who could almost always best you. FFXIII was like, you're going to go this way, because you can ONLY go this way, and along this route is where you will level up...you will not level up any faster than the story allows and as such the enemies will always be only moderately challenging. I recall spending hours leveling up in one area of FFX solely to beat a random hidden boss I'd found in another part of the map. XIII removed all of that ability and stripped it down to cinematic movie that allows you to KIND of play. It's a fail in nearly every way other than design.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 19 September 2014 - 02:21 PM

#13 User is offline   Tarthenal Theloman Toblakai 

• Engineer Extraordinaire!
  • Interests:Engineering, books, films, gaming, gym, running, mountain biking

Posted 19 September 2014 - 02:25 PM

The problem with FF XIII for me is that there are so many WAY better RPGs out, that coming from Square Enix, you expect a lot more. Not the linear crap we were served with FF XIII and the whole game was just grind and grind some more, side missions were essentially, teleport to this and kill it. Extremely poor showing and pretty garbage IMO. Fire Emblem on the Wii, pisses on it, as does Xenoblade Chronicles, as does all of the Tales games on PS3, Xbox and Wii, as does any Zelda game. Even Squares own The Last Remant, just embarrasses XIII, this is the extend of my feelings anyway. Not only was it poor, it was at best, average, as an RPG. And I just don't have time or the patience to average games when there are so many awesome ones out there, requiring 50 hours each to complete. O yeah, Oblivion?! C'mon, how did I forget that!?
"There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail — should we fall — we will know that we have lived." ― Anomander Rake, Son of Darkness

#14 User is offline   Blend 

• View gallery

Posted 19 September 2014 - 03:52 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 19 September 2014 - 02:21 PM, said:

View PostBlend, on 19 September 2014 - 02:14 PM, said:

2 BIG reasons.

1. You watch more cinematics over the course of half the game, than you spend actually playing...and a lot of the "playing" in the first two hours consisted of 1 or 2 battles, and then a bunch of specific button pushes from prompts on-screen.

2. It's REALLY, horribly, linear. One fo the best thngs about FF has always been the blown open world, the side quests, the ability to basically choose what sections of the game you want to play, leveling up was always fun because you could go to an area that was WAY out of your HP/MP zone and challenge yourself to level up on baddies who could almost always best you. FFXIII was like, you're going to go this way, because you can ONLY go this way, and along this route is where you will level up...you will not level up any faster than the story allows and as such the enemies will always be only moderately challenging. I recall spending hours leveling up in one area of FFX solely to beat a random hidden boss I'd found in another part of the map. XIII removed all of that ability and stripped it down to cinematic movie that allows you to KIND of play. It's a fail in nearly every way other than design.

I can agree with your criticisms as far as FFXIII goes, but FFXIII-2 broke the linearity a bit, and I still haven't come anywhere close to killing all the big / tough baddies on it, and FFXIII-3 is a wide open world concept again, where you can go and beat the game in whatever order you want, instead of being stuck defeating boss A before you can move on to boss B.

#15 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 19 September 2014 - 03:59 PM

Ah, I was unaware that 3 let you do that...still I think I was right put off by the first.

#16 User is offline   Blend 

• View gallery

Posted 19 September 2014 - 05:24 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 19 September 2014 - 03:59 PM, said:

Ah, I was unaware that 3 let you do that...still I think I was right put off by the first.

The concept of 3 was pretty cool, actually. Basically, you have 13 days to beat the game, but you have abilities that allow you to pause time, or to move it forward faster and stuff like that. There are a huge amount of quests, and there are what's called Omega beasts, where after you defeat a certain amount of a specific monster, you face an Omega version of it which is tougher to beat (kind of like a boss creature) and once you've defeated the Omega, you've defeated all of that monster type, so they won't show up for random battles anymore. There's also an Omega dungeon, where you fight only Omega creatures, and it has several floors with a big bad at the top. Plus it brings back the idea of Dress Spheres from FFX-2, but has updated the concept a bit to fit the FFXIII style of battle - I really enjoyed it, thought it was pretty innovative!

#17 User is offline   champ 

Posted 19 September 2014 - 06:07 PM

Off topic but thanks to this thread I decided to dig out my Gamecube and Tales is as awesome as I remembered!! Got a save file just before the Abyssion battle too!

Tehol said:

#18 User is offline   Blend 

• View gallery

Posted 19 September 2014 - 07:08 PM

View PostBriar King, on 19 September 2014 - 06:39 PM, said:

View Postchamp, on 19 September 2014 - 06:07 PM, said:

Off topic but thanks to this thread I decided to dig out my Gamecube and Tales is as awesome as I remembered!! Got a save file just before the Abyssion battle too!

I've got no clue where my GC is but I have the games in closet and I'm actually staring at the memory cards and the wireless controller adaptor. Pisses me off cause I been wanting to replay tales for the last month.

I hope I can finish 13-2 soon but I'm now so lost and can't remember the story. The time trav stuff pisses me off in shows and books and games.

I thought the time travel aspect of the story was lots of fun, specially when you're in endgame, and you can create paradoxical timelines and go to similar worlds but where everything in them is different.

Once you get to endgame, figuring out how to create ultimate monsters for your third companion is complex as hell, and, at least for me, was really enjoyable!

#19 User is offline   champ 

Posted 23 September 2014 - 08:25 AM

I was talking about this game last night with my mate who is another big FF fan...

Pulling pure speculation out of my ass, which will be totally incorrect but...

The characters/style of the trailer reminded us so much of FF7 Advent Children and then Square said this about the demo...

Square promises something even more impressive will be included that promises to have a big impact on franchise fans.

Imagine if this was set in the future world of FF7...

Tehol said:

#20 User is offline   A Demon Llama! 

• First Sword
  • View gallery

Posted 23 September 2014 - 07:38 PM

Man, I remember when the first trailer for this game came out. I was so excited...like 6 years ago. Maybe its going to come out on PC as FF13 is getting ported apparently. Although FF13 is a terribly horrible game.
No Touchy.

Share this topic:

• 8 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users