Malazan Empire: I am declaring this week 'The international edit the Malazan Wikia week' - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

I am declaring this week 'The international edit the Malazan Wikia week' Come and celebrate!

#1 User is offline   Egwene 

• Emperor
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 18 September 2014 - 01:01 PM

If everyone who reads this, picks up just one of the books, opens a random page and edits the info found there onto the Wikia, that would make quite an impressive contribution! Having said that, please be aware that there are spoilers so if you have not yet read all the books (ICE included) you may want to stay away.

http://malazan.wikia...ki/Malazan_Wiki

The Malazan world is HUGE. Even with 2300+ pages we are only scratching the surface. The Malazan Wikia is currently ranked 1421 amongst the top 5000 Wikias. Considering that there are several hundred thousand wikias, that is pretty impressive (although, that there are several GoT sites above us, isn't!!!)

http://www.wikia.com...hPhrase=malazan

Fancy supporting the Malazan cause?

Well, open that book and get editing. Just search for the topic you are interested in and hit the edit button. Don't worry too much about getting it right. There are a few people keeping an eye on things and they will, if necessarily edit your contribution to make sure it fits in with the formatting of the site.

If you register, you can change the style to 'MonoBook' in your preference settings, which means you don't see all the adverts. It's what I did. Having very limited knowledge of editing codes, I simply found another wikia page with the info laid out as I wanted it and copied the coding across. Using the preview button a lot, I eventually got the hang of it.

TO DO

One major to-do is the adding of references. Unfortunately, most entries where made without them. If all you do is add references to existing info, that would be totally fantastic!

All you need to do is adjust the following template and insert it behind the info

<ref>[[name of book]], Chapter ?, UK MMPB p.?</ref>

then add

==Notes and References==
{{Reflist}}

to the bottom of the page, just above the categories section. Replace the ? with the relevant chapter and page numbers and replace UK MMPB with an abbreviation for whatever type of copy you are referencing from, for example USHardBack, Trade PaperBack, etc...

A few basics...
-Don't put major spoilers at the top of the page. Best way is to add info in book order under a book heading.
-Don't be offended if you see your own contribution being edited when someone finds further info.
-All book content is reported in the past tense.
-Have fun

Just think, when we get to the age of a hundred one day, with a memory worse than it already is, the Wikis will hopefully answer all our questions when we re-read the books for the 100th time.

PS:feel free to badger as many other Malazan fans into editing as you can :)

#2 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 18 September 2014 - 01:18 PM

Cool, but how do we avoid Illy painting dicks all over the site?
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#3 User is offline   Egwene 

• Emperor

Posted 18 September 2014 - 01:22 PM

We don't. We just let the admin aka Caladan Brood :) do their job :)

#4 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 18 September 2014 - 01:27 PM

Wait, what's wrong with dicks all over the site? They've been here for decades already and none of you have ever complained....
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#5 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 18 September 2014 - 02:22 PM

*goes and edits Spax' article to reference the part where he thinks about how much his dick hurts*

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#6 User is offline   matrim.ivy 

• Historian
  • Recruiting historians!!
    I'm working on a list of Fallen and it will be massive!! Anyone who is up to the challenge should contact me :)

Posted 09 September 2015 - 11:05 PM

Is there any way we can make this an annual event!!?? I love this idea :harhar:

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users