Malazan Empire: Why do people think time flows differently in some warrens? - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Why do people think time flows differently in some warrens?

#1 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 17 September 2014 - 02:02 PM

I know SE blithely mentioned it as a sort of possibility in an interview years and years ago, but AFAIR this never actually happens in the books. Why do I keep seeing this idea tossed around in forum discussions? Is it just because people don't want to admit the timeline is a bit broken? (Not that having some warrens go faster or slower in time will fix issues of causality.)

The only possible reference to this in the books I can think of is in RotCG when Shimmer comes out of Mael's ocean prison, but it's vague and doesn't really impact the story much. I can't think of any other occurences, but I see this idea being used to "explain" things that don't need any such explanation, like the time between MT and MoI, Karsa's age and who knows what else.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#2 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 17 September 2014 - 02:17 PM

View PostD, on 17 September 2014 - 02:02 PM, said:

I know SE blithely mentioned it as a sort of possibility in an interview years and years ago, but AFAIR this never actually happens in the books. Why do I keep seeing this idea tossed around in forum discussions? Is it just because people don't want to admit the timeline is a bit broken? (Not that having some warrens go faster or slower in time will fix issues of causality.)

The only possible reference to this in the books I can think of is in RotCG when Shimmer comes out of Mael's ocean prison, but it's vague and doesn't really impact the story much. I can't think of any other occurences, but I see this idea being used to "explain" things that don't need any such explanation, like the time between MT and MoI, Karsa's age and who knows what else.

What about DG? The Chain of Dogs storyline runs months, but Kalam, Fid n co, Felisin n co, and Pearl/Lostara all seem to take radically less time, and all of them travel thru warrens.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#3 User is offline   jonny_anonymous 

• Blind Jester of High House Shadow
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Comics, Horror, Games, Movies, Reading.

Posted 17 September 2014 - 02:27 PM

Isn't Udinass's son a fully grown man after only being born a few months ago because he grew up in a different warren?
“You make worlds, worlds inside your head and worlds outside,
but only the one inside counts for anything.
It’s where you find peace,
acceptance.
Worth.”

#4 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 17 September 2014 - 02:28 PM

View PostAbyss, on 17 September 2014 - 02:17 PM, said:

What about DG? The Chain of Dogs storyline runs months, but Kalam, Fid n co, Felisin n co, and Pearl/Lostara all seem to take radically less time, and all of them travel thru warrens.

All the books are written like that, though. The Bonehunters are leaving Raraku... then two chapters later they are near Lato Revae and it seems like only maybe a couple days have passed at most. Then whoosh they're at Y'Ghatan. Karsa gets captured and whoosh what seems like minutes later he is being loaded onto a boat and then whoosh the boat has traveled across the entirety of upper Genebackis and is now in the Meningalle Ocean. Bonehunters leave Letheas and whoosh they're on barges in the Awl plain what seems like a few days later.

View Postjonny_anonymous, on 17 September 2014 - 02:27 PM, said:

Isn't Udinass's son a fully grown man after only being born a few months ago because he grew up in a different warren?

Rud Elalle grows fast because he's a dragon. If anything, being in the Refugium should make him grow slower!

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#5 User is offline   Malaclypse 

• Banned User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 17 September 2014 - 03:11 PM

Lorn and Tool in GotM:

How much time is this going to take?’
‘Time?’ There was amusement in his voice. ‘Within this barrow,
Adjunct, time does not exist. The Jaghut who imprisoned their kin
brought an age of ice to this land, the barrow’s final seal. Adjunct, a halfleague
of ice stands over this burial chamber – still. We have come to a
time and place before the faltering of the Jaghut ice, before the coming
of the great inland sea known to the Imass as Jhagra Til, before the
passing of countless ages—’
‘And when we return?’ Lorn interrupted. ‘How much time will have
passed?’
‘I cannot say, Adjunct.’ The Imass paused and turned back to her, his
eye sockets glimmering with a sourceless light. ‘I have never done this
before.’

Kulp and Gesler in DG:

Gesler: ‘How long ago?’
Kulp: ‘Years. Decades. We’re in a warren, Corporal. No telling how time
works here.’

I'm sure there's more relevant passages out there but this is all I have the time for today.

#6 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 17 September 2014 - 04:16 PM

Good quote-fu Mal.

Interestingly, though, neither of those really has much effect right? Lorn and Tool emerge from the barrow about as long after entering as they seem to have spent inside, and Gesler and co. don't spend an abnormally short or long time with the Silanah (granted, we don't see them sleep, so maybe it was only a day for them while it was a few weeks on the outside... but then again its perfectly normal for us to skip over when people sleep in this series 'cause that would be boring).

#7 User is offline   Hetan 

• Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • View gallery
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 17 September 2014 - 04:37 PM

see ambiguous display name...Hetan is not responsible for what follows:

OK, Devil's Advocate, it does not matter what actual effect occurs. What matters is that people who have intimate knowledge of the Warrens believe that time can behave strangely in them. End of.
"He was not a modest man. Contemplating suicide, he summoned a dragon". (Gothos' Folly)- Gothos

#8 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 17 September 2014 - 04:57 PM

View PostHetan (Also Actually Possibly Mal), on 17 September 2014 - 04:37 PM, said:

OK, Devil's Advocate, it does not matter what actual effect occurs. What matters is that people who have intimate knowledge of the Warrens believe that time can behave strangely in them. End of.

I suppose. Doesn't mean it should just be bandied about as an excuse for everything in the forums, though!

#9 User is offline   Hetan 

• Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • View gallery
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 17 September 2014 - 04:59 PM

should, could, whatever...not interested in that conversation but the question you started this thread with has been answered :)
"He was not a modest man. Contemplating suicide, he summoned a dragon". (Gothos' Folly)- Gothos

#10 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 17 September 2014 - 05:19 PM

Remember the shortcut the Perish give the Bonehunters? Pretty sure they spend months in an ocean warren and arrive somewhere much earlier in realtime.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#11 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 17 September 2014 - 09:00 PM

View PostD, on 17 September 2014 - 04:57 PM, said:

View PostHetan (Also Actually Possibly Mal), on 17 September 2014 - 04:37 PM, said:

I suppose. Doesn't mean it should just be bandied about as an excuse for everything in the forums, though!

It's hardly an excuse when it's an established fact in the story's world. It doesn't explain Harllo, but otherwise it pretty much covers all points when it's raised, non?

#12 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 18 September 2014 - 01:42 AM

Harllo The Elder, or Harllo The Younger?

#13 User is offline   blackzoid 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 18 September 2014 - 12:05 PM

What are the major time-screwups again?

1: Harllo
2: Trull chained to the wall, how long?
3: Fear and Silchas and co wandering around between MT and RG.

Only the second takes place in a warren. The otehr 2 are in the "real" world right?

This post has been edited by blackzoid: 18 September 2014 - 12:05 PM

#14 User is offline   Egwene 

• Emperor

Posted 18 September 2014 - 01:18 PM

I totally agree with D'rek that we shouldn't just take 'it is said' for a fact without finding our own supporting reasons to believe it. I would be very interested if anyone can dig up more quotes that relate to the way time passes in warrens.

Time does seem to be standing still in the Azath Houses. Rallick and Vorcan are sleeping for a very long time, yet they need no food or drink.

#15 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 18 September 2014 - 02:24 PM

View Postblackzoid, on 18 September 2014 - 12:05 PM, said:

Only the second takes place in a warren. The otehr 2 are in the "real" world right?

Fear and co are a bit unclear, but since we don't actually see them between MT and RG, we don't know that they weren't in a warren. That's all i got, but it's that, or they were walking across most of the Letherii Empire and it just took however frikkin long to get where they were going.

View PostEgwene, on 18 September 2014 - 01:18 PM, said:

I totally agree with D'rek that we shouldn't just take 'it is said' for a fact without finding our own supporting reasons to believe it.

But it's not just said, it's fact. Sand is dry, water is wet, and time passes differently in warrens. Multiple books clearly show this, so what's the debate? Where does it say that time doesn't pass strangely in warrens?

I would be very interested if anyone can dig up more quotes that relate to the way time passes in warrens.

Hey, i'm all for forumites exercising their quote fu, but Mal's quotes say what they say and the other examples are pretty clear.

Time does seem to be standing still in the Azath Houses. Rallick and Vorcan are sleeping for a very long time, yet they need no food or drink.

... and Azath Houses exist in /generate what? Say it with me now... 'warrens'. (Tremolor was an entire maze around the actual house, the Deadhouse is way bigger inside than out, etc etc).

#16 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 18 September 2014 - 02:36 PM

View PostIlluyankas, on 17 September 2014 - 05:19 PM, said:

Remember the shortcut the Perish give the Bonehunters? Pretty sure they spend months in an ocean warren and arrive somewhere much earlier in realtime.

Hmm, I'll have to go re-read that one to be sure, but AFAIR they go through the warren and emerge far away, much faster than they would have going around the long way, but they don't spend any more or less time in the warren as time passes outside it.

Right.

Also, off the top of my head:

--the RG prologue where the White Face Barghast have somehow left Genebackis long after Callows was raided by Edur fleets but arrived on Lether before the Edur have even taken it over in MT.

--Logros, after his army defeats the Jaghut/Jhag in the Jhag Odhan, declaring Dassem Ultor the new First Sword, when the T'lan Imass slaughtering Aren and marching off into the Jhag Odhan occured *after* the battle at Y'Ghatan and Dassem's "death".

--(a minor one) Lorn having known Toc the Elder - her supposed age and backstory compared to when Toc would have disappeared make that rather hard to believe.

I totally agree with D'rek that we shouldn't just take 'it is said' for a fact without finding our own supporting reasons to believe it. I would be very interested if anyone can dig up more quotes that relate to the way time passes in warrens.

I don't see the Azath as actually stopping time. If it was just a time barrier, there'd be no reason for poison to become inert or anything like that. I just see it as a magic stasis effect, that preserves people the way they are, so anyone inside's cells don't die or split. You still experience time passing the same as outside, you just don't age or suffer from injuries.

#17 User is offline   Malaclypse 

• Banned User

Posted 19 September 2014 - 06:06 AM

View PostD, on 18 September 2014 - 02:36 PM, said:

View PostIlluyankas, on 17 September 2014 - 05:19 PM, said:

Hmm, I'll have to go re-read that one to be sure, but AFAIR they go through the warren and emerge far away, much faster than they would have going around the long way, but they don't spend any more or less time in the warren as time passes outside it.

Right.

Also, off the top of my head:

--the RG prologue where the White Face Barghast have somehow left Genebackis long after Callows was raided by Edur fleets but arrived on Lether before the Edur have even taken it over in MT.

--Logros, after his army defeats the Jaghut/Jhag in the Jhag Odhan, declaring Dassem Ultor the new First Sword, when the T'lan Imass slaughtering Aren and marching off into the Jhag Odhan occured *after* the battle at Y'Ghatan and Dassem's "death".

--(a minor one) Lorn having known Toc the Elder - her supposed age and backstory compared to when Toc would have disappeared make that rather hard to believe.

I don't see the Azath as actually stopping time. If it was just a time barrier, there'd be no reason for poison to become inert or anything like that. I just see it as a magic stasis effect, that preserves people the way they are, so anyone inside's cells don't die or split. You still experience time passing the same as outside, you just don't age or suffer from injuries.

Regarding your 'major time screw-ups' - I don't think they're all that major and I'm here to tell you that yes, those are almost certainly the result of the author(s) not being mindful .

Regarding this last bit:

WTF does this mean? How is what you're describing different from time stoppping?

This post has been edited by Abyss: 19 September 2014 - 04:51 PM
Reason for edit: Be nice.

#18 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 19 September 2014 - 02:01 PM

View PostMalaclypse, on 19 September 2014 - 06:06 AM, said:

Regarding your 'major time screw-ups' - I don't think they're all that major and I'm here to tell you that yes, those are almost certainly the result of the author(s) not being mindful

Agreed.

View PostMalaclypse, on 19 September 2014 - 06:06 AM, said:

Regarding this last bit:

WTF does this mean? How is what you're describing different from time stoppping?

Gothos stands outside an Azath House. Temper stands inside it, with a sword shoved through his neck. Corinn stands outside the Azath House with a sword through her neck. After 3 days Gothos (from his perspective) Gothos enters the Azath House.

Scenario A (stasis, no time dilation):
--Gothos observes 3 days of time pass, as normal, then enters the Azath House
--Corinn dies, whilst observing 3 days of time pass, as normal
--Temper does not die, and after 3 days (from his perspective) sees Gothos enter

Scenario B (stasis and time dilation):
--Gothos observes 3 days of time pass, as normal, then enters the Azath House
--Corinn dies, whilst observing 3 days of time pass, as normal
--Temper does not die, and after a month of time (from his perspective) sees Gothos enter

#19 User is offline   Malaclypse 

• Banned User

Posted 23 September 2014 - 10:32 PM

alright, I get what you're saying but the authors don't think like that, at least not all the time.

Whether or not that fact is bothersome to oneself is a personal question.

But what is being communicated is time effectively stopping within an Azath House - Corinn was too far gone and didn't reach the House in time but it prolonged her dying period. It's that simple, imo

ETA: another thread killed, booya bitches!

This post has been edited by Malaclypse: 26 September 2014 - 09:11 AM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users