Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Kallor second thoughts/ spoilers

#1 User is offline   Minala abandoned 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 17 September 2014 - 01:25 AM

I just found MBotF at the beginning of this year and flew through all of them except FoD (can't seem to find it to buy). So things may be a bit muddled in my head...but somethings are nagging me about Kallor.

At first it was easy to hate Kallor but after finishing B&B I have nagging feelings that there is more to him than I have seen others post- I may be missing some- there are so many ! (happily)

I first wondered if there was more to him - perhaps a tragic explanation to his rage- in OST. I believe there was a dream like scene where he was mourning his dead Andii wife who had been scorned by her people...I think he gave her doll to her daughter...something about that bothered me, made me see him as hurting/sad.

then in B&B he showed Jatal the human who had been transformed into a beast of burden...I Think that really angered him- what the thaumaturgs were doing...??

then there were the locals who worshipped him and from the descriptions of the ruins and land- apparently it had been prosperous, well tended and the people content.

the ones who originally called down the CG, killed the locals and destroyed the land were the thaumaturgs- even Pon-lor said, "I am beginning to suspect that he simply kept you contained and so you tried to get rid of him."

so maybe he 'snapped' after that- maybe that is when his wife died- and he was cursed becoming the nasty man we know now...?

#2 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 17 September 2014 - 03:16 AM

I think you are mistaking OST for TTH. It's toll the hounds where we get POVs from Kallor that make him seem more human.

I agree that there is more to the man than just some semi-ascendant asshole tyrant. However I don't think there is any reason to retcon his motivations or actions in the Elder Age. Kallor is like the walking manifestation of Orb (which now that I come to think of it, makes me wish there had been a confrontation between the two). Kallor believes he is meant to rule. He also believes magic is bad and the manipulation of gods angers him. As such, you have a powerful entity who will always be on a collision course with someone or something.

#3 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 17 September 2014 - 09:34 AM

Kallor is the representation of tyranny in human kind. (think caesar, hitler etc.)
Tyrants are human (and might have some great positive traits) but they will not hesitate from squashing others who come in their way. This trait will often make them very successful.
The best strategy is to make sure that they don't notice you.

<div><br></div><div>Love for one person is romantic but not a redeeming quality for a tyrant.</div>

This post has been edited by nacht: 17 September 2014 - 09:37 AM

#4 User is offline   Minala abandoned 

• Recruit

Posted 17 September 2014 - 01:09 PM

Thank you for the replies and the correction on which book.

I do understand he now embodies the worst in humanity and I thought he was a non-ascended version of War (we never learn from our mistakes so return to base violence to try to get what we want). (Which also would have been telling if he had died in the blast, given what happened in CG .) I suppose I am trying to find out what made him that way and maybe it is irrelevant. I find Karsa and his evolution much easier to understand, including his dislike of the gods. Don't know why with all the other Qs and fabulous characters floating around in my head, Kallor's character plagues me...maybe because of real world events? and yep, sure would not want Kallor to notice me- all his wives died prematurely (dust) which also seems to force him further down the road of an angry a-hole...he can have no partner to soften his sharp edges even tho he keeps searching for one.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users