Malazan Empire: How long did K&D take exploring the deadhouse? Timeline exploration! - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How long did K&D take exploring the deadhouse? Timeline exploration!

#1 User is offline   Egwene 

• Emperor
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 14 September 2014 - 09:24 PM

In Night of Knives (Chapter 2, UK HB p.64) Oleg states that "Long ago Kellanved and Dancer entered that cursed place you call the Deadhouse and there discovered a strange thing. Strange discoveries that have taken him a hundred years to understand."

Does he mean Kellanved took that long? How does that fit in with the timeline of the other major events?

By the way, I just noticed that my copy of NoK doesn't seem to have a chapter 4 - it goes straight from 3 to 5 instead???!!! Anyone know more about this and where chapter four is supposed to start? I assume I am not missing any pages as such... or do I.... :p

#2 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 14 September 2014 - 10:42 PM

View PostEgwene, on 14 September 2014 - 09:24 PM, said:

In Night of Knives (Chapter 2, UK HB p.64) Oleg states that "Long ago Kellanved and Dancer entered that cursed place you call the Deadhouse and there discovered a strange thing. Strange discoveries that have taken him a hundred years to understand."

Does he mean Kellanved took that long? How does that fit in with the timeline of the other major events?

Kellanved and Dancer had access to the Deadhouse back when they were still working to oust Mock (and Kellanved's "family" {Ameron, Nok, Hawl, Surly, Dujek, Cartheron, Urko} all operated out of there for a while). But the period where Kellanved and Dancer were "missing" - gone exploring the Azath and other realms - leaving Surly in charge was a much smaller stretch of time. According to Apsalar it was only 2 years:

From HoC:

‘For two years,’ she said, ‘Dancer and the Emperor vanished. Left the empire for Surly to rule. My stolen memories are vague of that time, but I do know that both men were changed, irrevocably, by all that happened to them during those two years. Not just the play for the Shadow Realm, which no doubt was central to their desires. Other things occurred ... truths revealed, mysteries uncovered. One thing I know for certain, Crokus, is that, for most of those two years, Dancer and Kellanved were not in this realm.

By the way, I just noticed that my copy of NoK doesn't seem to have a chapter 4 - it goes straight from 3 to 5 instead???!!! Anyone know more about this and where chapter four is supposed to start? I assume I am not missing any pages as such... or do I.... :p

Printing error I assume. If you bought it recently, take it back to the store for a replacement.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#3 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 15 September 2014 - 01:08 AM

View PostD, on 14 September 2014 - 10:42 PM, said:

Kellanved and Dancer had access to the Deadhouse back when they were still working to oust Mock (and Kellanved's "family" {Ameron, Nok, Hawl, Surly, Dujek, Cartheron, Urko} all operated out of there for a while). But the period where Kellanved and Dancer were "missing" - gone exploring the Azath and other realms - leaving Surly in charge was a much smaller stretch of time. According to Apsalar it was only 2 years:

From HoC:

'For two years,' she said, 'Dancer and the Emperor vanished. Left the empire for Surly to rule. My stolen memories are vague of that time, but I do know that both men were changed, irrevocably, by all that happened to them during those two years. Not just the play for the Shadow Realm, which no doubt was central to their desires. Other things occurred ... truths revealed, mysteries uncovered. One thing I know for certain, Crokus, is that, for most of those two years, Dancer and Kellanved were not in this realm.'

Printing error I assume. If you bought it recently, take it back to the store for a replacement.

One thing I have always wondered about this was the passage of time inside and outside an Azath. We know inside an Azath things are basically in stasis, so if Keelanved and Dancer were gone for two years in normal time, it might be any length of time measured inside an Azath right? Like when Fiddler and co. enter the Azath in DG and come out in Malaz, the amount of time they spent in travel was hardly proportional to the physical distance between the two Azath houses.

#4 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 15 September 2014 - 01:49 AM

Indeed. In addition they were likely popping in and out of Warrens as well, which have their own time disparities. Suffice to say their explorations were extensive and we haven't learned of more than even a small percentage of them.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#5 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 16 September 2014 - 01:36 AM

I'm picturing a buddy comedy — The Long Weekend at Kell and Dancer's House.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users