Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Osserc & Kallorian Empire Questions

#1 User is offline   Dadding 

• Shaved Knuckle in the Hole
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 02 September 2014 - 05:15 PM

Osserc says he's gained access to the Azath in order to find answers. After spending 95% of the book doing absolutely nothing he then comes to some self realization that he lacks "emotional courage", his words not mine. So he spent what I assume must have been considerable time and effort in order to penetrate the mysteries of the Azath to learn that he needs to keep a journal? Is this really his so called "prize" for unlocking the Azath? Essentially what I'm asking here is: what are his motives? It seems like a rather pointless endeavor.

Osserc finally starts to get interesting during the epilogue. On page 833* it says that Osserc closed Kurald Thyrllan "by his own hand". Was this described in a previous book, should I know about this? I can't remember, and the wiki isn't helping me. Also if it's closed then how are the Liosan assaulting Kharkanas in TCG? Then L'oric goes on to say that Kurald Thyrllan seemed like a world with a very-close sun, but "The source of the brilliance was in fact much smaller, and much closer, than imagined". What does he mean by that? Also why are they returning Osserc anyway?

One last question, nothing to do with Osserc:

On pages 697-698* Pon-Lor is going semi-crazy and hallucinating about Kallor's Empire. He sees a guy who says: "I volunteered to be the one. I would not lay this terrible burden upon anyone else. We would not live ... he is ours." Is this supposed to make any sense? Are we supposed to understand what he's talking about? Then he dies of poison. Does this elucidate something about the empire that I'm just not getting? Or is Pon-Lor's mind just spewing nonsense?

*page numbers are from Bantam paperback

This post has been edited by Dadding: 02 September 2014 - 05:17 PM

#2 User is offline   Saitama 

• B-Class Superhero
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 03 September 2014 - 02:01 PM

My best guess is that Osserc's visit in the Azath house is just a part of a much larger story - he is seeking knowledge because it is the only way he knows to move forward. Going even further, he is creating a distraction for himself. As long as he pursues something that he can call objectively valuable (knowledge) he can justify his unwillingness to face real problems (his own shortcomings, liosan arrogance etc). He never stays (relatively) long in one place, always seeking more distractions in the shape of new realms to study, culminating in his trip to the Azath. But the house has its own agenda and it forces Osserc to stay still for a while, which in turn forces him to face his own thoughts and feelings.

I like a good redemption story now and then, but this guy has been behaving like a big child for what, 300k+ years? And now he has this big revelation after meditating a little bit? Meh, I wish somebody would just cut him down.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users