Malazan Empire: Sticking it to the Man - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Sticking it to the Man Tired of being used...

#1 User is offline   Gust Hubb 

• Necromancer Extraordinaire
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Glass slides with entrapped bits of colored tissue
  • Around, just quiet....er

Posted 29 August 2014 - 11:14 PM

I don't know about you all, but the modern corporation and advertising drives me nuts. I feel inundated by targeted ads from websites that seem to be tracking me without my permission. It's like junk mail and spam, except worse.

I found this on facebook and highly recommend it (it's an opt out site that basically stops ads from targeting you based on what you've searched and which sites you've visited, even if you have your search history turned off):

Opt Out of Advertising

The second part of this OP is the concept of price gouging and other techniques that companies, often through Lobbying, use to maximize the profits they can leach off customers without giving their consumers the choice. I am reading a book called "The Fine Print," which describes the tactics used by corporations to gouge your income with excess billing for shitty service (I'm looking at you phone companies, Verizon, AT&T....). I have yet to finish the book, but I recommend it highly and hope by the end, the author will live up to his promise to provide tactics to fight back. I am very worried about things like the merger of Time-Warner and Comcast and the threat to net neutrality, but frankly I feel powerless to do anything.
"You don't clean u other peoples messes.... You roll in them like a dog on leftover smoked whitefish torn out f the trash by raccoons after Sunday brunch on a hot day."
~Abyss

#2 User is offline   Gust Hubb 

• View gallery

Posted 29 August 2014 - 11:23 PM

And one other thing, addressing Net Neutrality:

https://sendto.mozil...-net-neutrality

Sends a letter to your congressman.
"You don't clean u other peoples messes.... You roll in them like a dog on leftover smoked whitefish torn out f the trash by raccoons after Sunday brunch on a hot day."
~Abyss

#3 User is offline   Gust Hubb 

• View gallery

Posted 04 May 2015 - 01:51 PM

Very close to leaving FB. I already avoid feeding it lots of posts or playing its stupid little games, but this is possibly the last straw:

http://www.bbc.com/n...nology-32580586

Defend net neutrality.
~Abyss

#4 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 04 May 2015 - 02:15 PM

View PostGust Hubb, on 04 May 2015 - 01:51 PM, said:

Very close to leaving FB. I already avoid feeding it lots of posts or playing its stupid little games, but this is possibly the last straw:

If you need help, I've always liked this video (not on topic of tracking ect., but relevant to why leaving FB is a good idea socially as well)...it's a little old now, but still very relevant.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 04 May 2015 - 02:18 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users