Malazan Empire: Joe Abercrombie/First Law Books? - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Joe Abercrombie/First Law Books?

#1 User is offline   jonny_anonymous 

• Blind Jester of High House Shadow
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Comics, Horror, Games, Movies, Reading.

Posted 21 August 2014 - 10:00 PM

Has anybody read any of Joe Abercrombie's books? I keep getting recommended them and I did try and read The Blade Itself years ago but I couldn't get in to it. Now I'm not sure why I couldn't get in to it because I remember almost nothing about it but at the time I had never really read any dark fantasy that I now love so I was wondering if I should try again.
“You make worlds, worlds inside your head and worlds outside,
but only the one inside counts for anything.
It’s where you find peace,
acceptance.
Worth.”

#2 User is offline   Wolfdrop 

• Fist

Posted 21 August 2014 - 10:12 PM

I wasn't too impressed with The Blade Itself, but had bought the trilogy so kept reading. The second book picks up and the third is really fantastic. The last third or so of the last book was done really well. It's worth reading for that alone. Once I started treating the trilogy as one big book in three parts I actually enjoyed it more. The Blade Itself was an overlong introduction to the series but the rest are great.

#3 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 21 August 2014 - 10:23 PM

He's a man who loves genre exercises. I think they tend to be clever, interesting, and quite worthwhile, but I do agree The Blade Itself is a little slow-going and makes most sense in the context of being a (lengthy) introduction. You gotta set up the pins before you can knock them down.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#4 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 22 August 2014 - 05:39 AM

I was the reverse, I really enjoyed book 1 and 2, but found 3 to be the least of the trilogy.

Some people on here really don't like JA full stop and some love him, YMMV but if you aren't enjoying him by mid book 2 I'd say chuck it

#5 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 22 August 2014 - 07:00 AM

Set it on fire and chuck it at your enemy's beard.

#6 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 22 August 2014 - 09:05 AM

View PostMacros, on 22 August 2014 - 05:39 AM, said:

I was the reverse, I really enjoyed book 1 and 2, but found 3 to be the least of the trilogy.

I had the exact same experience. Good buildup in book one, book 2 hammers the pegs home, but book 3 was a disappointing tie-up for various reasons that would be too spoilerish to list. I've also found that with 'Best served cold'; great buildup, but sags towards the end. I think one of my big issues with Abercrombie's books is that his characters turn inconsistent in their behaviours and reactions after a while.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#7 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 22 August 2014 - 09:50 AM

View Postjonny_anonymous, on 21 August 2014 - 10:00 PM, said:

Has anybody read any of Joe Abercrombie's books? I keep getting recommended them and I did try and read The Blade Itself years ago but I couldn't get in to it. Now I'm not sure why I couldn't get in to it because I remember almost nothing about it but at the time I had never really read any dark fantasy that I now love so I was wondering if I should try again.

I was in this exact situation. I could not get into the blade itself but the books got so much love I thought I should give them a second try. The second try was less horrible then the first but when I finished the trilogy I had the sense that I wished I had stuck to my first opinion. The book tries so hard to be different and it succeeds but once that arrow in the quiver is spent I feel like the book has nothing else to offer. Once the fairly obvious twist is delivered I was left empty

#8 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 22 August 2014 - 09:50 AM

View Postjonny_anonymous, on 21 August 2014 - 10:00 PM, said:

I was in this exact situation. I could not get into the blade itself but the books got so much love I thought I should give them a second try. The second try was less horrible then the first but when I finished the trilogy I had the sense that I wished I had stuck to my first opinion. The book tries so hard to be different and it succeeds but once that arrow in the quiver is spent I feel like the book has nothing else to offer. Once the fairly obvious twist is delivered I was left empty

#9 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 22 August 2014 - 12:20 PM

I almost set book 1 down a couple of times. After working my way near the end I was convinced that I would be able to pass on the series . . . and then IT happened. Just that little bit of pay-off happened and I got book 2, which I found even better and I've been hooked since.
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#10 User is offline   jonny_anonymous 

Posted 22 August 2014 - 04:00 PM

Well I'm glad people are having similar experiences as me. I may as well give it a second go, what harm can it do?
acceptance.
Worth.”

#11 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 22 August 2014 - 11:24 PM

Yah, life is long and mostly boring. Might as well read a book.

#12 User is offline   jonny_anonymous 

Posted 23 August 2014 - 09:53 AM

View Postworry, on 22 August 2014 - 11:24 PM, said:

Yah, life is long and mostly boring. Might as well read a book.

Words of wisdom
acceptance.
Worth.”

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users