Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Need Inspiration to read Toll the Hounds

#1 User is offline   Snowhite 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:32 AM

Hey, i'm new here. I have loved all the books in the series so far(Steven Erikson only) and started with Toll the Hounds, however this Harllo storyline is kinda boring right now. Could anyone give me spoiler-free inspiration to continue reading? Does something exciting happen to Quick Ben/Kalam/Fiddler/Tehol etc?

#2 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:37 AM

The last 200 pages of this book are going to blow your fucking mind.

Edit: In addition, the correct forum for this topic is the Toll the Hounds forum. We try not to spoiler ANYTHING, including character names, in this forum.

This post has been edited by HoosierDaddy: 16 July 2014 - 06:46 AM

Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#3 User is offline   Snowhite 

• Recruit

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:56 AM

View PostHoosierDaddy, on 16 July 2014 - 06:37 AM, said:

The last 200 pages of this book are going to blow your fucking mind.

Edit: In addition, the correct forum for this topic is the Toll the Hounds forum. We try not to spoiler ANYTHING, including character names, in this forum.

Hey, thanks for the reply! Sorry, didn't know about the character name thing. Makes sense though.

#4 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:05 AM

Your time on Earth is limited and reading Toll the Hounds is one of the very few ways you can spend that time wholly unwasted.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#5 User is offline   Inane Babble 

• Lieutenant
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 16 July 2014 - 08:05 AM

Everyone has different tastes, and while some people love Toll, for others it is the worst in the series. All I can tell you is the people who do not think Toll the Hounds is the best book ever written are INSANE.

It is, in my opinion, the quintessential Malazan Book of the Fallen. The very essence of what Erikson has been trying to tell us for nearly 2 million words at this point comes across so clearly you will wonder how he isn't the most acclaimed writer in the world. Because he fucking should be for this book alone.

#6 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 16 July 2014 - 03:24 PM

Toll the Hounds can be a bit rough on the first read, especially with a couple of the story lines, but, once you rach a certain point, the book literally explodes in your face.Also on my second read TtH felt like tthe best of the series.

#7 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:19 PM

MODGOD NOTICE OF THREAD MOVED. Carry on.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#8 User is offline   Egwene 

• Emperor

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:55 AM

I liked the slow build up of TtH. The ending... I thought it was the most carefully timed convergence of all and one of the most emotionally draining. Keep tissues handy!

I have seen several posts where someone who did not like TtH that much on the first read, rated it to be one of the best on a re-read of the series. So keep going - it's worth it!!!

#9 User is offline   Battalion 

• Emperor

Posted 17 July 2014 - 12:16 PM

Read it Snowhite, the pay off is well worth the initial effort.
Get to the chopper!

#10 User is offline   Tru 

• Sergeant

Posted 26 May 2015 - 12:35 AM

I can see some one not liking this book..so much so that they want to throw it across the room and set it on fire. But the motivation for doing so is because it's so brilliantly written.

#11 User is offline   Esa1996 

• Fist

Posted 21 June 2015 - 10:17 PM

I disliked the way the narrator came visible in the end of many of the chapters, but I liked most of the POVs in the book. Also, the ending is one of the best in the history of literature.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users