Malazan Empire: INTERSTELLAR - Malazan Empire

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

INTERSTELLAR New Christopher Nolan flick

#1 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 16 May 2014 - 06:39 PM

There was a teaser for this a while back...but here is the full trailer.

This film looks INCREDIBLE. Just the space sequences alone are GORGEOUS and ominous.

If this is half as decent as this trailer looks, this is going to be special!

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#2 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:02 PM

I saw the trailer before Godzilla. I was underwhelmed, but on the other hand it's good to see a trailer not giving too much away.

On the other hand I sort-of accidentally read a supposed plot synopsis for this and parts of the trailer make it pretty clear that it's right, which could make for a really interesting movie but means the surprise is spoiled for me. :wallbash:
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#3 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:04 PM

Indeed. I like that they don't really give too much away.

I have faith in Nolan, and this just FEELS like a big event movie with large silences and setpieces like ALIEN or 2001, you know?
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#4 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:04 PM

This looks like a strange film. Maybe it's the trailer that throws me for a loop. Now a days trailers are usually a 2-3 minute story synopsis, this trailer I am not sure. Is the entire story some guy has to decide if he wants to go to space, or is most of the story set in space?

How is he going to save his kid if he's going out of the solar system or is that wormhole/space hula-hoop thingy at the end meant to send him back in time?

#5 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:11 PM

View PostApt Hoc, on 16 May 2014 - 07:04 PM, said:

This looks like a strange film. Maybe it's the trailer that throws me for a loop. Now a days trailers are usually a 2-3 minute story synopsis, this trailer I am not sure. Is the entire story some guy has to decide if he wants to go to space, or is most of the story set in space?

How is he going to save his kid if he's going out of the solar system or is that wormhole/space hula-hoop thingy at the end meant to send him back in time?

I think the deal is that humanity has a problem with earths sustainability and they are sending a team into space to have a go at interstellar travel (I believe a wormhole is found at the edge of our solar system), to find another inhabitable planet or resources? Seems to be the general idea.

And quite frankly I wish more trailers were as obscure as this one is. I miss the days when I could be truly surprised by a film. I'd say the last time was the first MATRIX flick. That teaser trailer gave away very little plot, so that sequence with Neo being informed by Morpheus about the real world...was jaw dropping for me! I mean they even penned the marketing off of the website and trailers with the tagline "What is the matrix?" That is how to do film marketing. Make people curious enough to WANT to discover what it's about. I personally hope we never see much more of INTERSTELLAR before release.

I should note: Speaking of the Wachowski's...the trailers for CLOUD ATLAS were obscure like this, and so seem to be the JUPITER ASCENDING trailers. They give you just enough info to be intrigued.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 16 May 2014 - 07:12 PM

#6 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:19 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 16 May 2014 - 07:04 PM, said:

I have faith in Nolan,

This may be part of the problem: I don't. :wallbash:

But since I went into the last two with massive hype and was disappointed, maybe going into this one with lowered expectations will help me enjoy it more. Also, Jonathan has more involvement than the last two times, and it's a strong premise.

#7 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:54 PM

"We must think not as individuals, but as a species. We must confront the reality of interstellar travel."

SO HYPE FOR THIS. This is a graph of my hype level before and after this trailer:
Posted Image

This post has been edited by Whisperzzzzzzz: 16 May 2014 - 07:54 PM

#8 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 16 May 2014 - 08:12 PM

I guess my big issue is the notion that they are apparently planning on using a wormhole to travel somewhere else and the father actually thinks he's going to come back to his kids. I mean, even if they have some kind of magical rockets that can take them out of the solar system in less than a year (which is pretty unlikely) then you have time dilation stuff kicking in.

Next you have the idea of just jumping into a wormhole. What even is a wormhole? Beyond theory I am pretty darn certain it is not just some portal like in Star Trek DS9. How do they know they aren't going to turn into jam? Or get roasted by subspace super radiation? Or that the Wormhole is a two way system? And how does the spaceship survive the massive amounts of radiation both from the sun and cosmic background radiation when you leave the magnetosphere of earth?

Or maybe this isn't hard sci-fi and I am just supposed to ignore it and accept the movie magic.

#9 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 16 May 2014 - 11:03 PM

View PostApt Hoc, on 16 May 2014 - 08:12 PM, said:

I guess my big issue is the notion that they are apparently planning on using a wormhole to travel somewhere else and the father actually thinks he's going to come back to his kids.

Oh man, Apt. He doens't think he's coming back.

You know when something momentous or scary is going down and a parent tells their kid that "everything is gpoing to be okay?" even though they can't be sure that's true, and might even be aware that it's a lie?

This is that.

Soemtimes you tell your family what they need to hear, not what they should hear. The truth is sometimes WAY too much for them to handle. Heck, the daughter is probably fully aware he's not coming back...but the lie is comforting.

Next you have the idea of just jumping into a wormhole. What even is a wormhole? Beyond theory I am pretty darn certain it is not just some portal like in Star Trek DS9. How do they know they aren't going to turn into jam? Or get roasted by subspace super radiation? Or that the Wormhole is a two way system? And how does the spaceship survive the massive amounts of radiation both from the sun and cosmic background radiation when you leave the magnetosphere of earth?

This is also a little askew from what's seemingly being presented in the trailer. This isn't a humanity who is comfortable with what they are doing, they are being FORCED to do it. Food has run out and clearly they can't grow or produce anything else to sustain life. This seems like it's physicists basically putting theory to the test, the first time. It's why Mattthew looks so fucking terrified when they drop into it. This is untested hypotheses. They likely only have theory about it. But think about it a second...that's all we would EVER have if we went into a wormhole...it would be the only way to see what happens. They don't have the first clue what will happen...but they have to try. That's it. Yeah, it's scary as fuck...but you either die on earth or you find some way to leave it.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 16 May 2014 - 11:08 PM

#10 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 17 May 2014 - 01:45 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 16 May 2014 - 11:03 PM, said:

I guess my big issue is the notion that they are apparently planning on using a wormhole to travel somewhere else and the father actually thinks he's going to come back to his kids.

Oh man, Apt. He doens't think he's coming back.

You know when something momentous or scary is going down and a parent tells their kid that "everything is gpoing to be okay?" even though they can't be sure that's true, and might even be aware that it's a lie?

This is that.

Soemtimes you tell your family what they need to hear, not what they should hear. The truth is sometimes WAY too much for them to handle. Heck, the daughter is probably fully aware he's not coming back...but the lie is comforting.

This is also a little askew from what's seemingly being presented in the trailer. This isn't a humanity who is comfortable with what they are doing, they are being FORCED to do it. Food has run out and clearly they can't grow or produce anything else to sustain life. This seems like it's physicists basically putting theory to the test, the first time. It's why Mattthew looks so fucking terrified when they drop into it. This is untested hypotheses. They likely only have theory about it. But think about it a second...that's all we would EVER have if we went into a wormhole...it would be the only way to see what happens. They don't have the first clue what will happen...but they have to try. That's it. Yeah, it's scary as fuck...but you either die on earth or you find some way to leave it.

This was my interpretation also.

#11 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 30 July 2014 - 11:19 PM

For anyone who doubted.

The Comic Con trailer.

http://insidemovies....r-full-trailer/

Sweet holy hell. I get chills, both from Ann: "Couldn't you tell her you were going to save the world? Matthew: "No."

And Michael Caine's recitation of Dylan Thomas' "Do not go gentle into that good night" over top scenes of whatever the alien planet is.

#12 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 31 July 2014 - 12:22 AM

Hey I'll watch this movie, sure.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#13 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 31 July 2014 - 05:43 AM

Most of it looks really good but:

Spoiler

FUCK OFF I GET ENOUGH OF THAT WITH DOCTOR WHO YOU SHITS.

I may be overreacting, it may have no actual effect on the story.

Also, I'm a total sucker for 'Do Not Go Gentle'.

#14 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 01 August 2014 - 12:01 AM

This movie appears to have everything I want in anything.

EDIT: Apparently, Kip Thorne is an executive produce and scientific advisor: http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Kip_Thorne

And he answered a bit about it in an interview: http://www.interstel...e.com/news/2193

This post has been edited by Whisperzzzzzzz: 01 August 2014 - 12:09 AM

#15 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 01 August 2014 - 07:23 PM

View Postpolishgenius, on 31 July 2014 - 05:43 AM, said:

Most of it looks really good but:

Spoiler

FUCK OFF I GET ENOUGH OF THAT WITH DOCTOR WHO YOU SHITS.

I may be overreacting, it may have no actual effect on the story.

Did I miss the part where that was eluded to? I saw a man who was terrified of leaving his kids and possibly not coming home...but more terrified that there would be no planet for them left. I never got a "love saves all" vibe.

Also, I don't know that we need to spoiler a moment from a trailer. :) You so crazy PG!

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 01 August 2014 - 07:24 PM

#16 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 01 August 2014 - 08:16 PM

One can never be too safe.

And sure, if it's just a line from whatsherface trying to reassure a man who misses his kids, that's fine, but I'm just terrified of a 'love transcends time and space and therefore we fix things with LOVE' story, despite it being Jonathan Nolan, a storyteller probably far too good to fall into that sort of nonsense.

#17 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 01 August 2014 - 09:18 PM

View Postpolishgenius, on 01 August 2014 - 08:16 PM, said:

One can never be too safe.

And sure, if it's just a line from whatsherface trying to reassure a man who misses his kids, that's fine, but I'm just terrified of a 'love transcends time and space and therefore we fix things with LOVE' story, despite it being Jonathan Nolan, a storyteller probably far too good to fall into that sort of nonsense.

I'm mostly yanking your chain PG. I hope we don't get a love saves all vibe either.

#18 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 01 August 2014 - 09:44 PM

Don't be so sure. After all, this is the guy who almost derailed a nearly-perfect Batman movie at the last minute with golden-hearted felons deciding to do "the right thing" for no particular reason.

#19 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 01 August 2014 - 09:49 PM

To be fair, I had no particular problem with that. There's a sizeable proportion of convicts who aren't completely selfish mass-murderers, after all.

#20 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 01 August 2014 - 10:17 PM

That's a weird way to frame it. Either choice would lead to the deaths of hundreds of people. Neither group would be "selfish" mass murderers since they didn't plant the bombs, nor was only one life at stake with either choice. It's a dimwitted scene meant as an anti-cynical riff on the prisoner's dilemma that wouldn't have worked out that way in the real world, let alone a panicked Gotham City.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users