Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Braven Tooth question

#1 User is offline   Egwene 

• Emperor
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 16 April 2014 - 07:21 PM

I was looking at the Wikia entry for Braven Tooth and it says:Braven Tooth was a grizzled, old soldier who trained many of the Malazan army's recruits. He was described as a huge man with wild unkempt curly black hair, "hairy beyond reason".

Now, my understanding of grizzled is that it means 'streaked with gray'. I certainly wouldn't describe it as black hair.

Anyone know the truth of it? Or did The guy have a midlife crisis and start dying his hair????

#2 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 16 April 2014 - 07:29 PM

Are we referring to Return of the Crimson Guard? Because I remember certain of the Old Guard having gone through some Denul rejuvination process. Braven Tooth cashed in his pension or something like that and got a new lease on his life expectancy.

#3 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 16 April 2014 - 07:29 PM

Probably he had black hair streaked with grey.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#4 User is offline   Egwene 

• Emperor

Posted 16 April 2014 - 09:43 PM

Thanks for the feedback, guess I need to dig out the relevant pages to clarify just how he should be described.

#5 User is offline   Tarthenal Theloman Toblakai 

• Engineer Extraordinaire!
  • Interests:Engineering, books, films, gaming, gym, running, mountain biking

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:16 PM

grizzled means rough not a colour IMO, grizzled means he perhaps was rough round the edges, unkempt hair, beard or whatnot, ripped, torn clothes, maybe just his manerisms but grizzled would never make me think of grey hair tbh. Possibly I missed something from when I read that part or misunderstood your post but theres my opinion if it helps mate
"There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail — should we fall — we will know that we have lived." ― Anomander Rake, Son of Darkness

#6 User is offline   Inane Babble 

• Lieutenant
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:24 PM

Grizzled - what someone looks like after winning an argument with a bear.

unkempt, manic eyes, very obviously dangerous , knows what's what, takes crap from no one.

Doesn't scream "old" to me at all

#7 User is offline   Spoilsport Stonny 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 17 April 2014 - 05:37 PM

View PostTarthenal Theloman Toblakai, on 17 April 2014 - 12:16 PM, said:

grizzled means rough not a colour IMO, grizzled means he perhaps was rough round the edges, unkempt hair, beard or whatnot, ripped, torn clothes, maybe just his manerisms but grizzled would never make me think of grey hair tbh. Possibly I missed something from when I read that part or misunderstood your post but theres my opinion if it helps mate

Perhaps that what it means colloquially, but the definition is "having or streaked with gray hair." Which means that he can, indeed, have black hair and also be grizzled.

NEXT TOPIC!
Theorizing that one could poop within his own lifetime, Doctor Poopet led an elite group of scientists into the desert to develop a top secret project, known as QUANTUM POOP. Pressured to prove his theories or lose funding, Doctor Poopet, prematurely stepped into the Poop Accelerator and vanished. He awoke to find himself in the past, suffering from partial amnesia and facing a mirror image that was not his own. Fortunately, contact with his own bowels was made through brainwave transmissions, with Al the Poop Observer, who appeared in the form of a hologram that only Doctor Poopet could see and hear. Trapped in the past, Doctor Poopet finds himself pooping from life to life, pooping things right, that once went wrong and hoping each time, that his next poop will be the poop home.

#8 User is offline   Egwene 

• Emperor

Posted 19 April 2014 - 11:30 AM

LOL... trouble when words have several meanings! Don't worry, I am sure I'll think of another question before too long, Spoilsport Stonny!

#9 User is offline   Spoilsport Stonny 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 21 April 2014 - 12:25 AM

Aw, i like yr questions. They always make me go back and look things up.
Theorizing that one could poop within his own lifetime, Doctor Poopet led an elite group of scientists into the desert to develop a top secret project, known as QUANTUM POOP. Pressured to prove his theories or lose funding, Doctor Poopet, prematurely stepped into the Poop Accelerator and vanished. He awoke to find himself in the past, suffering from partial amnesia and facing a mirror image that was not his own. Fortunately, contact with his own bowels was made through brainwave transmissions, with Al the Poop Observer, who appeared in the form of a hologram that only Doctor Poopet could see and hear. Trapped in the past, Doctor Poopet finds himself pooping from life to life, pooping things right, that once went wrong and hoping each time, that his next poop will be the poop home.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users