Malazan Empire: Straight through read of the 10 books - How long for you? - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Straight through read of the 10 books - How long for you?

#1 User is offline   kuddukan 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 16 April 2014 - 01:17 AM

I read the 10 books, straight through the first time with only a few pauses along the road. I am not a fast reader. It took me almost five years to complete the series. I started in 2009 and finished 2 days ago.

Ok maybe I read some books in between, it's hard to remember the last 5 years in detail...

#2 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 16 April 2014 - 03:24 AM

View Postkuddukan, on 16 April 2014 - 01:17 AM, said:

I read the 10 books, straight through the first time with only a few pauses along the road. I am not a fast reader. It took me almost five years to complete the series. I started in 2009 and finished 2 days ago.

Ok maybe I read some books in between, it's hard to remember the last 5 years in detail...

First read of the entire series: Around 5 months.
Second read; Around 2-3 months

#3 User is offline   Tarthenal Theloman Toblakai 

• Engineer Extraordinaire!
  • Interests:Engineering, books, films, gaming, gym, running, mountain biking

Posted 16 April 2014 - 08:32 AM

first read of the entire currently printed 21 books was around 11 months, it took me that long to read the ASOIAF books of which there are 7 (two of which are actually one 1500 page book split in two) so my read speed increased dramatically, i think possibly because I COULD NOT PUT MALAZAN DOWN! lol and also Feast for Crows was a little slow so I didn't read much too often. I also read the 6 First Law books between Christmas and March, I am just hooked on Fantasy books. Currently rereading ASOIAF then getting back on Malazan immediately for the full reread, can't wait!!
"There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail — should we fall — we will know that we have lived." ― Anomander Rake, Son of Darkness

#4 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 16 April 2014 - 04:20 PM

I started GotM around the time that The Bonehunters was being released in the UK. I got caught up sometime after DoD was released, and before TCG. So around 4-5 years but I read a bunch of other stuff too.

#5 User is offline   Egwene 

• Emperor

Posted 16 April 2014 - 07:29 PM

I have no idea anymore but not that long. I read quite fast and if I like a book then it can look as if I am welded to it. So very, very late nights etc... I remember re-reading GotM before going on to the next book as I felt that there were a lot of gaps in my understanding of the story. The re-read was fantastic and a real eye-opener. I am sure my enjoyment of subsequent books was enhanced by it.

I do envy people who can read at a slower pace as they can make great books last that much longer. Having said that, as I love re-reads, it's not all bad being a fast reader either!

#6 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 16 April 2014 - 08:23 PM

I just did a monster reread and included the 5 ICE books but for the life of me I can't work out how long it took. I think it was about 7 months.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#7 User is offline   Overactive Imagination 

• High Fist

Posted 17 April 2014 - 03:27 AM

Would probably take me about 10 months if I read 1-2 hours a day.

#8 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 17 April 2014 - 06:29 PM

I added up my average read times for each book (not counting the months-long Tor.com rereads) and the resulting sum is 314 days for every Malazan-related piece of fiction barring Wurms of Blearmouth. So about 10 months. Wow.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#9 User is offline   Darthjamo 

• Recruit

Posted 17 April 2014 - 10:04 PM

A few days short of 9 months, for the main series plus the first 3 ICE books.

#10 User is offline   Sheve 

• Fist

Posted 18 April 2014 - 01:56 AM

I started reading in 2007 , and have read everybook since and before that 3 times.

for 3 years there it did not go 1 day without me reading atleast 1 page of malazan.
They may cut your dick in half
And serve it to a pig
And though it hurts, you'll laugh
And dance a dickless jig

#11 User is offline   Messremb 

• Honorary Symp of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • High Artificer of Team Quick Ben

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:45 PM

I've been avoiding a re-read for a year or three because my last one (a complete re-read before TCG came out) ended 2-4 weeks after target - 6-7 months I think.

I'll have to do one again at some point but will probably hold off and try to time it for the Shadow book. Awesome as the series is I just don't want to read it again for the hell of it when there is so much other stuff out there; I'm most of the way through Jim Butchers Ghost Story now, nuking the whole series in one run.
"see that stranger's arm crushing the life from him - do you understand? Not an eternal prison for Messremb"

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users