• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Guardians Of The Galaxy Trailer

#1 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 19 February 2014 - 12:08 PM

We should have a thread on this by now.

Here is the first trailer.

And call me optimistic, but this looks great!

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#2 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 19 February 2014 - 01:16 PM

It does look pretty interesting, but I am worried about their choice of Director/writer. Do you know why they chose someone with such an embarassing resume?
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#3 User is offline   McLovin 

• Cutlery Enthusiast
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Knives. Stabbing. Stabbing with knives.

Posted 19 February 2014 - 01:52 PM

He was cheap?

Looks interesting. Of course, after AVENGERS I'm pretty much in for any Marvel film.
OK, I think I got it, but just in case, can you say the whole thing over again? I wasn't really listening.

#4 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 19 February 2014 - 02:03 PM

View PostMcLovin, on 19 February 2014 - 01:52 PM, said:

He was cheap?

Looks interesting. Of course, after AVENGERS I'm pretty much in for any Marvel film.

They've already started work on the sequel. One would think that if they have such high hopes they would og out of their way to get hold of someone capable of running the franchise.

Now I'm not saying the current director/writer is incapable of making a good movie, but his rather terrible resume makes me wonder why he was chosen.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#5 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 19 February 2014 - 02:19 PM

View PostMorgoth, on 19 February 2014 - 01:16 PM, said:

It does look pretty interesting, but I am worried about their choice of Director/writer. Do you know why they chose someone with such an embarassing resume?

GotG is a space opera and CAN be a goofier sub-franchise within the Marvel U most often...so if I had to pin money on it, I'd say it's because Gunn directed SLITHER and SUPER....both films were successful at camp, while bringing a real life aura that is kind of hard to ignore.

But yeah, it could flop hard in Gunn's hands, since MOST of his resume is beyond goofy and into bad territory.

Only time will tell. GotG has the ability to either blow the Marvel Movie U wide open for the rest of the films (AVENGERS: AGE Of ULTRON and beyond), or it could knock them for their first real stumble. In that POV it's a really bizarre choice to allow Gunn to film a lynch pin film like this. BUT the trailer does make me less worried about it, as I like the tone he's hitting, especially with Peter Quill.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#6 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 19 February 2014 - 04:21 PM

It's got Rocket Racoon.
Standing on Groot's shoulder.
Firing a BFG.
To the first song of the Reservoir Dogs soundtrack.

I am going to see thing movie twelve times.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#7 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 19 February 2014 - 05:25 PM

I love the shot of Groot stooping to look through at the two guards as they talk about him. Him and RR are going to own this movie!

#8 User is offline   Spoilsport Stonny 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 19 February 2014 - 05:40 PM

I. Can't. Wait.
Theorizing that one could poop within his own lifetime, Doctor Poopet led an elite group of scientists into the desert to develop a top secret project, known as QUANTUM POOP. Pressured to prove his theories or lose funding, Doctor Poopet, prematurely stepped into the Poop Accelerator and vanished. He awoke to find himself in the past, suffering from partial amnesia and facing a mirror image that was not his own. Fortunately, contact with his own bowels was made through brainwave transmissions, with Al the Poop Observer, who appeared in the form of a hologram that only Doctor Poopet could see and hear. Trapped in the past, Doctor Poopet finds himself pooping from life to life, pooping things right, that once went wrong and hoping each time, that his next poop will be the poop home.

#9 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 19 February 2014 - 05:41 PM

View PostBriar King, on 19 February 2014 - 05:31 PM, said:

I'm not familiar with this comic at all. This looks like a rather strange movie to me. How is it connected to Avengers?

I'm not familiar with much of the comic either...but...

THE AVENGERS post-credits scene features Thanos (whom is likely to be the big villain of the 3rd AVENGERS flick)....the green girl who is on the GotG team in that trailer (Zoe Saldana) is Gamora...she is Thanos' daughter. Star Lord (Peter Quill) is a human who left earth (probably in the 1980's, if that Walkman is any indication), and he leads this team of ragtag aliens who are both bad and good.

The Tesseract cube from AVENGERS and the Red Mist stuff from THOR 2 are both jewels/aspects of something called The Infinity Gauntlet, of which there are three more pieces (two of which are now in the hands of Bencicio Del Toro's "Collector" character in that post Thor 2 credits scene) and my guess is that GotG will deal with another jewel/aspect. I think that eventually Thanos gets the Infinity Gauntlet and with all the jewels/aspects of it present can wreak havoc on anything.

I THINK they eventually end up going up against Thanos with the Avengers together...and I also think that Stark even joins their number at some point in a Space version of the IM suit.

But yeah, it basically blows open the Marvel Universe wider to include more of Space that we've only touched on with Thor and the Asgardians so far.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 19 February 2014 - 05:45 PM

#10 User is offline   Spoilsport Stonny 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 19 February 2014 - 06:05 PM

The Interstellar Marvel Universe is bloated, but very ambitious. There are a number of incredibly powerful entities, like Eternity and Infinty, The Living Tribunal, The Watchers, Galactus, etc. that played a big part in elements of The Avengers in the 1970's, but also Silver Surfer, Fantastic Four, Adam Warlock, Dr. Strange, The Eternals, the Inhumans, The Starjammers (Featuring Cyclops from X-Men's father) and more. There are also the Kree and Skrulls, who play a big part in the Marvel comics, as well as the Shi'ar. It really expanded the comic book universe beyond the limits of Earth and opened up a bunch of other stories and plotlines which culminated in the 90's with The Infinity Gauntlet series, which I thought was awesome at the time. Very cool stuff.

How it works in the movie universe today will remain to be seen, but I like QT's theory.
Theorizing that one could poop within his own lifetime, Doctor Poopet led an elite group of scientists into the desert to develop a top secret project, known as QUANTUM POOP. Pressured to prove his theories or lose funding, Doctor Poopet, prematurely stepped into the Poop Accelerator and vanished. He awoke to find himself in the past, suffering from partial amnesia and facing a mirror image that was not his own. Fortunately, contact with his own bowels was made through brainwave transmissions, with Al the Poop Observer, who appeared in the form of a hologram that only Doctor Poopet could see and hear. Trapped in the past, Doctor Poopet finds himself pooping from life to life, pooping things right, that once went wrong and hoping each time, that his next poop will be the poop home.

#11 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 19 February 2014 - 06:40 PM

IM joining the GotG in the comics recently was a blatant and fairly hamhanded play for fan eyeballs because the GotG property hasn't been able to hold an audience since DnA left the floppy.

Hopefully the flic gives the comic a boost but to date Marvel hasn't exactly done a brilliant job of turning movie dollars into comics dollars.

Which is not to say the movie Tony Stark can't/won't show up in a future GotT film if it's successful, i just wouldn't hold my breath about them risking 'diluting' the Avengers property, even tho a GotG link to the eventual Thanos plotline makes total sense.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#12 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 19 February 2014 - 06:45 PM

Rocket Raccoon's solo run turned up as the backup strip to the 1980s Marvel UK TRANSFORMERS comic, and was great fun. Completely bonkers, totally out-there stuff that could be a movie or two by itself. So I'm down with Rocket appearing in a movie.

Sadly, his sidekick Wal-Russ (a walrus who fires LASERS FROM HIS TUSKS) does not appear to be present.
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#13 User is offline   Spoilsport Stonny 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 19 February 2014 - 07:04 PM

Yeah I think that was the lead-in to the IG miniseries. In issue one, I think half the universe died as a tribute to Death, who Thanos was in loooooove with.

#14 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 19 February 2014 - 07:05 PM

In some ways the Guardians of the Galaxy movie is almost necessary for the Marvelverse despite its relative obscurity. By that I mean that the usual 'in' to the cosmic stuff would be the Fantastic Four, plus their villains. But those aren't available, leaving a dearth of really obvious options to bring the wider universe into the films, and this kind of oddness is going to be a relatively easily sell if it's done even halfway right.

And yeah, it looks good.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#15 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 19 February 2014 - 07:28 PM

The only thing that gets me interested in this dorkfest is the fact that the guy who made Slither is behind it. The guy's a national treasure for that alone.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#16 User is offline   Spoilsport Stonny 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 19 February 2014 - 08:25 PM

Dorkfest: If I wasn't already on the list of guest speakers, I'd buy a ticket.

#17 User is offline   blackzoid 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 20 February 2014 - 01:46 PM

I've never fully understood the appeal of Rocket Raccoon, though I can get behind Groot oddly. In my opinion, Rocket Raccoon is the single joke of ,"Hey isn't it funny if a Raccoon was awesome and carried huge guns", it reminds me of Hit-Girl from Kick-Ass in some ways. "Imagine if a little girl was an awesome ninja"

Cosmo (the Telephatic Russian space dog) on the other hand is sheer genius and was the greatest character Marvel had going. Where is his film? Jettison Rocket Raccoon and throw him in there and I'd get fully behind this. Cosmo acted somewhat like a dog after all, whereas Rocket Raccoon is essentially a raccoon-shaped human. Not saying he isn't funny and can work, but he isn't appealing to me.

This post has been edited by blackzoid: 20 February 2014 - 01:50 PM

#18 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:03 PM

View Postblackzoid, on 20 February 2014 - 01:46 PM, said:

I've never fully understood the appeal of Rocket Raccoon, though I can get behind Groot oddly. In my opinion, Rocket Raccoon is the single joke of ,"Hey isn't it funny if a Raccoon was awesome and carried huge guns", it reminds me of Hit-Girl from Kick-Ass in some ways. "Imagine if a little girl was an awesome ninja"

Cosmo (the Telephatic Russian space dog) on the other hand is sheer genius and was the greatest character Marvel had going. Where is his film? Jettison Rocket Raccoon and throw him in there and I'd get fully behind this. Cosmo acted somewhat like a dog after all, whereas Rocket Raccoon is essentially a raccoon-shaped human. Not saying he isn't funny and can work, but he isn't appealing to me.

Even if all the Guardians' personalities are not much different from your standard comic book hero, I'd rather the characters physically be:

1. White human man
2. Green alien woman
3. Rust-coloured man-like alien
4. Tree
5. Raccoon

than the

1. White human man
2. White human man
3. White human man
4. White human man
5. White human man

that would match said "personalities"

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#19 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:38 PM

View PostMcLovin, on 19 February 2014 - 01:52 PM, said:

He was cheap?

This. I've not idea who the Guardians Of the Galaxy are, but i've not seen a Marvel film I didn't enjoy since they have started doing them again with new Iron Man and on.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#20 User is online   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 20 February 2014 - 04:09 PM

View PostAbyss, on 19 February 2014 - 06:40 PM, said:

Hopefully the flic gives the comic a boost but to date Marvel hasn't exactly done a brilliant job of turning movie dollars into comics dollars.

I don't understand why you'd expect a huge and permanent boost in comic sales after movies. A sizable boost could be expected, but the going about of consuming a movie is much different from the going about of getting comic books monthly (or even finding the comic book store and figuring out which series to get among the many options).

The Harry Potter reading audience didn't exactly set the book world afire with their later purchases, even after the movies came out. The vast majority of people are always going to dip their toes in and then wander away.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users