• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Kallor - I am missing something?

#1 User is offline   Whiskeyjackuk 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 13 February 2014 - 03:28 PM

Am I missing something. I have just got to the part where Kallor is dug up. I thought he was part of the Crippled God's retinue, after he had betrayed WJ. Or did something happen, and I have missed/forgotten it.

#2 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 13 February 2014 - 03:42 PM

Kallor was not dug up. He showed up to say hello to Ereko. A different character was buried in the Dolmens.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#3 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 13 February 2014 - 03:48 PM

I am assuming you are referring to the scene where he comes out of a portal to kill Ereko? As we hear earlier in the book (or was that in TTH?) Kallor had a history with the Tel Akai. For some reason that I don't recall, he vowed to kill each and every last one of them. So when he sensed Ereko, he came to kill him.

Kallor doesn't work for the Crippled God directly, he merely allied himself with him when he needed the means to strike down Silverfox/Nightchill who he probably hates more than anyone.

He does factor into the House of Chains but the HOC is not controlled by the Crippled God.

This post has been edited by Maybe Apt: 13 February 2014 - 03:49 PM

#4 User is offline   Spoilsport Stonny 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 13 February 2014 - 03:50 PM

Re-read that part again. Kallor wasn't buried and dug up; he shows up from a warren.

Stalker's head snapped up and he leapt aside, facing east, a hand at his sword. The brothers crouched behind the cover of the piled sand. Traveller straight armed Kyle to fall backwards into the pit. 'Hey!' -

Peering up over the lip, Kyle saw that a wind had arisen, a twisting dust-devil that kicked up clouds of sand. Within, darkness gathered, a ragged gap that Kyle recognized as the opening of a Warren. Greyness moiled behind the fissure. Then, with a clap, it was gone and the sands settled. An armoured man now occupied the space between two pillars. He was tall, gaunt, looking exceptionally old. His face was dark and lined, ravaged by age, and his long grey hair hung lank. His mail shirt hung, to his ankles, a plain bastard sword was at his side. He approached, scanning everyone briefly. The open scorn of his gaze set Kyle's teeth on edge. The eyes fixed upon Ereko and a hungry smile twisted the old man's mouth. He called something in a language unknown to Kyle.

EDIT: Damn, went to make hot chocolate and got beat. Well, at least I added something by putting in the quote.

This post has been edited by Spoilsport Stonny: 13 February 2014 - 03:51 PM

Theorizing that one could poop within his own lifetime, Doctor Poopet led an elite group of scientists into the desert to develop a top secret project, known as QUANTUM POOP. Pressured to prove his theories or lose funding, Doctor Poopet, prematurely stepped into the Poop Accelerator and vanished. He awoke to find himself in the past, suffering from partial amnesia and facing a mirror image that was not his own. Fortunately, contact with his own bowels was made through brainwave transmissions, with Al the Poop Observer, who appeared in the form of a hologram that only Doctor Poopet could see and hear. Trapped in the past, Doctor Poopet finds himself pooping from life to life, pooping things right, that once went wrong and hoping each time, that his next poop will be the poop home.

#5 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 13 February 2014 - 04:01 PM

He may have gotten Kallor mixed up with Dassem getting swallowed by the earth or Kazz being bound, burried, trapped at those Dolmens.

#6 User is offline   Spoilsport Stonny 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 13 February 2014 - 04:44 PM

Yeah I didn't wanna get too detailed cuz he hasn't gotten there yet. besides

Spoiler

Theorizing that one could poop within his own lifetime, Doctor Poopet led an elite group of scientists into the desert to develop a top secret project, known as QUANTUM POOP. Pressured to prove his theories or lose funding, Doctor Poopet, prematurely stepped into the Poop Accelerator and vanished. He awoke to find himself in the past, suffering from partial amnesia and facing a mirror image that was not his own. Fortunately, contact with his own bowels was made through brainwave transmissions, with Al the Poop Observer, who appeared in the form of a hologram that only Doctor Poopet could see and hear. Trapped in the past, Doctor Poopet finds himself pooping from life to life, pooping things right, that once went wrong and hoping each time, that his next poop will be the poop home.

#7 User is offline   Egwene 

• Emperor

Posted 13 February 2014 - 09:14 PM

well...

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Egwene: 13 February 2014 - 09:16 PM

#8 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 13 February 2014 - 10:03 PM

Nope.

Spoiler

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#9 User is offline   Spoilsport Stonny 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 13 February 2014 - 10:51 PM

Lucky for them that he decided to live so close to there then. "Sorry guys, that corpse isn't me, but I am me, so let me grab my things and we can go."

#10 User is offline   Whiskeyjackuk 

• Recruit

Posted 14 February 2014 - 12:05 PM

Thank you one and all. It makes my reading much enjoyable if I don't get it, or miss something to ask you, the experts.

#11 User is offline   theocean 

• High Fist

Posted 09 March 2015 - 07:05 PM

What Warren does Kallor have access too? Is the old king a mage?

#12 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 09 March 2015 - 07:43 PM

Kallor can't really channel a warren himself afaik, so he's reliant on whatever paths the Crippled God has access to. Namely Chaos or Chaos-infected portions of other warrens (like some Shadow fragments).

#13 User is offline   theocean 

• High Fist

Posted 09 March 2015 - 08:22 PM

View Postworry, on 09 March 2015 - 07:43 PM, said:

Kallor can't really channel a warren himself afaik, so he's reliant on whatever paths the Crippled God has access to. Namely Chaos or Chaos-infected portions of other warrens (like some Shadow fragments).

So through the crippled God he was able to use choas and find Ereko.

#14 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 09 March 2015 - 08:42 PM

That's one reasonable speculation.

#15 User is offline   theocean 

• High Fist

Posted 10 March 2015 - 03:25 PM

So does the crippled God control the warren of chaos, or does he just feed from its power. Warrens are still a little tricky to wrap my brain around.

For example does Kallor get access by the Crippled God to use Chaos, is it a standing order of use or does he need to ASK the crippled God to take him to Ereko, or is that power just availbale to him since his "partnership" with the Crippled one.

#16 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 10 March 2015 - 04:12 PM

He uses it as a power source. How he is capable of doing that is probably related to his alien nature.

How gods interact with their followers and how the borrowing mechanic actually works is not entirely clear. It's not a question of asking for it, more likely it's a channeling. A well of power that the follower is allowed to tap into and the power just flows into them on their own behest.

#17 User is offline   theocean 

• High Fist

Posted 10 March 2015 - 04:56 PM

Warrens always kind of confuse me.. Is it turned on for kallor at all times, is he able to use chaos as he wills, is there a constant ability of channeling then? Could the CG basically stop Kallors ability to use chaos? I know real answers are hard to come by on certain matters as its never explained perectly how it all works.

#18 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 10 March 2015 - 06:30 PM

It's MAGIC.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#19 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 10 March 2015 - 06:40 PM

View Posttheocean, on 10 March 2015 - 04:56 PM, said:

Warrens always kind of confuse me.. Is it turned on for kallor at all times, is he able to use chaos as he wills, is there a constant ability of channeling then? Could the CG basically stop Kallors ability to use chaos? I know real answers are hard to come by on certain matters as its never explained perectly how it all works.

If you want an example look at the Warlock edur from MT whose name I forgot. (EDIT: Hannan Mosagg) He was channeling tons of juice given to him by the Crippled God and look what happened to him.

What you need to remember is that Kallor had signed up for a position in the House of Chains but really, he was working for the Crippled God. As long as Kallor works for the CG, he gets power. As soon as he becomes useless/defects, then the connection could be taken away or turned back on him.

Kallor is as far as we understand not a mage so the Crippled Gods gift is the only thing that is powering him.

This post has been edited by Apt: 10 March 2015 - 06:44 PM

#20 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 10 March 2015 - 08:21 PM

Anyone using magic at all can be said to be "controlling" Chaos, but it's not really Control with a capital C, as Apt's Mosag example points out. Chaos by its very nature abhors control, which is why the older the magic system the wilder (and more dangerous to its user) it is. It's never going to be tame, but part of the point of like the human warrens is that they are safer to use due to the bargain with the Eleint.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users