Malazan Empire: S. by JJ Abrams & Doug Dorst - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

S. by JJ Abrams & Doug Dorst

#1 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 06 January 2014 - 03:07 PM

Moderate spoilers, but nothing huge.

This book is really tough to review. It’s both wonderful and compelling, while at times being obtuse and a lot of work.

Presentation gets an A++. It looks, feels, reads, and possibly (smells) like an old library book that two students pore over the volume (a favourite of theirs) in the margins. They are trying to solve the mystery of just WHO the author of the book (SHIP OF THESEUS) was. His name is V.M. Straka but there are multiple real life candidates for who that really was, each with their own reasons they might have been him, and there is F.X. Caldeira the translator who’s connection to VMS was dubious. Okay, got that bit?

Cause here is where it get’s tricky for us (the reader). When I first started to read I didn’t immediately realize that the marginalia by Jen & Eric is in a very specific order. It wasn’t until the various spats of their notes began to seem disjointed at around the 40page mark that I realized my error. The book is marked up like so:

1. Pencil – Eric’s notes from when he first read the volume as a 16-year old.
2. Blue cursive – Jen is answering Eric’s Pencil notes from years ago.
3. Black capitals – Eric is answering Jen’s blue notes and the two begin to correspond.
4. Amber cursive – Jen’s SECOND read-through and markup
5. Green capitals – Eric’s SECOND read-through and markup answers to Jen
6. Purple Cursive – Jen’s THIRD read-through and markup
7. Red capitals – Eric’s THIRD read-through and markup answers to Jen
8. Black Cursive & Black Capitals – Both reading through again and marking up using the same pen.

Right. So TECHINCALLY you should read it like this. Main Text (SHIP OF THESEUS). Then re-read it and only read the pencil notes, and Jen and Eric’s first set of blue and black convo’s. Then go back and re-read it only reading the amber and green marginalia. Then re-start it only reading the purple and red, and then once last time with only the black with same pen. Daunting? YUP.

Now my mistake was reading it in two page spreads and trying to take in ALL the conversations (in order). That’s a LOT of balls in the air, and while it worked for about the first hundred pages or so, beyond that things get really hairy in the last two sets of marginalia and I began to feel overwhelmed. Add to this that the main text SHIP OF THESEUS, which the readers both seem to regard as some kind of Charles Dicken’s-level fandom/interest, is simply not that interesting. It’s decent, but I’d never have sat down and read it all by itself if that’s all this book was. The Ship of Theseus itself is apparently a kind of philosophical question (If you rebuild a ship will ALL new parts, does it cease to be the same ship or can it still be considered the same). The book has mysteries which remain unanswered, but not in a satisfying way, rather rankles more than I wished it did. The creepy bits of it (ship full of monstrous crew with their lips sewn shut who communicate in whistles) are too few and far between. Instead we get a lot of pseudo-political revolutionary diatribe, and philosophical bents that fall a bit on deaf ears when you hear them for the 5th time.

The mysteries surrounding WHO Straka is/was and the candidates for whom he was become VERY muddled by the midway point. With names being bandied about and theories about those people, and cover theories, and codes, and other jazz about them…the only people who could ever keep it all straight are Jen and Eric who have no trouble following each other’s thought patterns. The groups of people involved in Straka investigations seem to multiply and segregate into era-groups, which only stand to compound confusion. Eric or Jen will on nearly every page (no matter the pen colour) speculate some new bit of info about one person or another and I’m PRETTY sure I’d need a huge blackboard with scribbles to keep it all straight.

None of this is to say that my experience was bad, and in fact the disorientation was a part of the experience for me and I laud them that as well. The SHIP Of THESEUS text is the place it falls down most for me (if anywhere), which is because midway through the book I stopped caring about the main text and only really invested myself in the marginalia, and paid only surface reading attention to the main text.

A difficult read, which I’m told becomes easier if you don’t try to read it all at once like I did. A unique experience unlike I’ve ever had before, and I’m really pleased to have read, and own this book now. It’s a brilliantly bookish activity to get stuck into. Just know that it’s going to require MORE of you than you may wish to devote.

Was it worth it in the end? Oh yeah! Totally. If only because it will get you talking. And that’s why it’s a five star read for me, because all the pieces may not be individually great, but the final piece is nothing short of a masterpiece of Book-Lovers dream.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#2 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 06 January 2014 - 03:45 PM

Thanks for the info on the reading order.

I have this on my trp. I've picked it up twice to have a look, but like you, I expect, I was unsure how to read it. I'm up for the challenge, but I hope it's worth the effort story-wise.

I'll just finish what I'm reading then I'm on to it.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#3 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 06 January 2014 - 03:49 PM

Traveller, on 06 January 2014 - 03:45 PM, said:

Thanks for the info on the reading order.

I have this on my trp. I've picked it up twice to have a look, but like you, I expect, I was unsure how to read it. I'm up for the challenge, but I hope it's worth the effort story-wise.

I'll just finish what I'm reading then I'm on to it.

You may not be into the main text story (it's good, but not great), but the story in the marginalia is well worth the effort.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#4 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 06 January 2014 - 06:32 PM

My wife bought this for me for Christmas. She knows I like to re read stuff. It looks so pretty I have not even opened it yet. I too am currently finishing my read of a trilogy. Once done, I will open this book for the first time.
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#5 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 06 January 2014 - 08:56 PM

The Green Dragon group over at LibraryThing is considering doing a group read of this. If they do, I'm totally in. My copy is still sitting on my nightstand; it's so cool I don't want to put it away, but I'm daunted by the prospect of actually reading it. (Mostly because I'm in the middle of too many books at the moment anyway.)
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#6 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 06 January 2014 - 10:26 PM

It doesn't look to me like a book you just want to pick up every now and then, but one that warrants a bit of time to get the most out of it, or at least appreciate the intention behind it.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#7 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 08 January 2014 - 10:52 AM

Hey Quick, should I just read the story first without reading the notes? Or the story and the first set of notes?

This post has been edited by Ganoes Paran: 08 January 2014 - 10:53 AM

#8 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 08 January 2014 - 10:58 AM

I have opened this and I already peeked at some of their notes. There are words and I just cannot help but look. "Argh!" **Giddy**

#9 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 08 January 2014 - 12:00 PM

Ganoes Paran, on 08 January 2014 - 10:58 AM, said:

I have opened this and I already peeked at some of their notes. There are words and I just cannot help but look. "Argh!" **Giddy**

You're okay to read the main text and the first set of notes one your first read of the main text.

#10 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 08 January 2014 - 12:02 PM

QuickTidal, on 08 January 2014 - 12:00 PM, said:

Ganoes Paran, on 08 January 2014 - 10:58 AM, said:

You're okay to read the main text and the first set of notes one your first read of the main text.

I'm trying not to, and I am in a rhythm now :harhar:

#11 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 08 January 2014 - 01:51 PM

Chapter One complete and I am happy so far. I have not looked at the other stuff that comes with the book on the various pages. I will save them for my next read, is that what you did QT?

The first chapter is great and well written I think. I have always wanted to read a book from a long time ago, that I could understand. I know there is a lot within the writing that I am missing but it's thrilling just reading it.

#12 User is offline   McLovin 

• Cutlery Enthusiast
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Knives. Stabbing. Stabbing with knives.

Posted 08 January 2014 - 02:00 PM

Yeah, I tried to go all-text at once and that quickly broke down. I settled for reading the chapter's main text, then going back and reading the chapter's marginalia, then moving on. That was better, but QT's suggestion is probably the optimal way.

I have to say I actually appreciated the main text more at the end than the beginning, though the very end was a bit meh.

Also don't forget there is a ton of book-related sites that expand the book's universe. My favorite is www.radiostraka.com, which contains five one-hour podcasts that are a weird combo of talk and music. Jen and Eric have Twitter feeds, there are other sites which appear to contain hidden messages.

I think all the obvious codes have been found and solved. I spent some time trying to figure out the code in the Interlude, but it's not clear there even is one. So for now I have given up on that.

It's fun but not earth-shattering, A+ for production values, B- for results.
OK, I think I got it, but just in case, can you say the whole thing over again? I wasn't really listening.

#13 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 08 January 2014 - 03:27 PM

McLovin, on 08 January 2014 - 02:00 PM, said:

Yeah, I tried to go all-text at once and that quickly broke down. I settled for reading the chapter's main text, then going back and reading the chapter's marginalia, then moving on. That was better, but QT's suggestion is probably the optimal way.

I have to say I actually appreciated the main text more at the end than the beginning, though the very end was a bit meh.

Also don't forget there is a ton of book-related sites that expand the book's universe. My favorite is www.radiostraka.com, which contains five one-hour podcasts that are a weird combo of talk and music. Jen and Eric have Twitter feeds, there are other sites which appear to contain hidden messages.

I think all the obvious codes have been found and solved. I spent some time trying to figure out the code in the Interlude, but it's not clear there even is one. So for now I have given up on that.

It's fun but not earth-shattering, A+ for production values, B- for results.

Agree with all of the above.

It's not at all earth shattering, but scores for being quite readable, enjoyable and produced gorgeously.

And the main text DOES read like a book from the 20's.

I did it all at once. main text (facing pages) and ALL notes (in order mind you)...so yeah daunting that way. LOL

#14 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 14 February 2014 - 03:14 PM

I have been searching for this thread for bloody ages! Other literature my arse! Frigging reviews! Hmm.

Anyway, I enjoyed the main body of text and that is all I have read so far. I didn't find myself craving to read the next part at any stage, so I took the book very casually. Should I now leave it for a while or go back through whilst reading the pencil parts?

#15 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 14 February 2014 - 06:57 PM

Tattersail_, on 14 February 2014 - 03:14 PM, said:

I have been searching for this thread for bloody ages! Other literature my arse! Frigging reviews! Hmm.

Anyway, I enjoyed the main body of text and that is all I have read so far. I didn't find myself craving to read the next part at any stage, so I took the book very casually. Should I now leave it for a while or go back through whilst reading the pencil parts?

The next few goes through ought to not take you remotely as long...so I say wait till you are ready to go back.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users