Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Funniest Moment of DG?

#1 User is offline   Bridgeburner Perdido 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 27 October 2013 - 09:49 PM

I don't find myself laughing too much in these books but when I do, I get a good chortle out of it. DG's moment of comedy for me was when Coltaine was recognizing the sappers for their heroic efforts in the battle by the river crossing, and he promotes one of them to sergeant, I think, to find out that the captain less sappers actually had a captain and that Coltaine had just demoted him. He spins around to look Duiker in the eyes, in total amusement.
My gosh,was this the only time in that at entire book that Coltaine a wasn't thinking about war and death?
I also chortled when he punched Gessler in the nose, right after Coltaine asked him what his last Fist/Captain did when he had shown such insolence. He didn't even let Gessler finish the sentence, "well he punched me in the no...."
I may have gotten some of the details, wrong. I'd go back and re-read the areas but having listened to this book in audio, I'm not sure how to do that.

This post has been edited by Bridgeburner Perdido: 27 October 2013 - 09:50 PM

#2 User is offline   Stormcat 

• cat of storms
  • Interests:sci fi/fantasy books. WoW.

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:07 AM

Every scene with pust in it!

#3 User is offline   koehkont 

• Sergeant

Posted 28 October 2013 - 05:31 PM

Fiddlers Gral horse. It knew an insult when it got one and acted appropriately :rant:

#4 User is offline   dsilent1 

• Recruit

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:54 AM

Pust is hands down the funniest thing in DG, he reminded me a lot of Gollum from LotR and Kreacher from Harry Potter.

#5 User is offline   birthSqueeze 

• Corporal

Posted 30 October 2013 - 12:18 AM

Pust definitely got me laughing too. Deadhouse gates is probably the most serious book in the series or at least one of them.
speculativefictionatitsbest.blogspot.com

#6 User is offline   Rapscallion 

• Recruit

Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:50 PM

Not exactly humor but I can't help but picture Mappo and Icarium as puppets with Mappo comically bonking his friend on the head.

#7 User is offline   Hazmandoo 

• Recruit

Posted 13 November 2013 - 10:58 AM

For me it was the section where the bhoka'rala in Pusts temple worshipped him and his attempts to shoo them away. Having him throw rocks at them which they then revere as 'gifts' and gently return to him had me literally laughing out loud.

#8 User is offline   Gabriel Chase 

• Gadrobi Rot Farmer
  • Interests:Art Black Metal Books
    Boxing Chess Music
    Noise Painting Poetry Poker
    Salsa Dancing Speedrunning Steampunk
    Visual Kei

Posted 16 February 2014 - 10:08 PM

^ Those sections made me laugh out loud too, particularly when one of the bhok‘arala gets its tail caught in the rope and Pust starts throwing rocks at it! Posted Image
لا إلــــــــــــــــــــــــه

#9 User is offline   Warlord_X 

• Recruit

Posted 18 March 2014 - 03:56 AM

There's a line towards the end of the book where Crokus says something like "How does one say goodbye to a Bhok'aral?" and Iskaral Pust says something like, "You give it a boot to the face". Iskaral Pust was really the only major comic relief in this very somber and brutal book

#10 User is offline   Wake 

• Recruit

Posted 25 May 2014 - 08:52 PM

Moby being greeted by his guardian companion in the House of Azath (the suit of armor). He says, I am so happy for your companionship even though you made a mess in my hall.

#11 User is offline   kempster 

• Recruit
  • Interests:SciFi/Fantasy, Sports, Politics, some gaming and of course Calvin and Hobbes.

Posted 01 June 2014 - 07:36 AM

Pust was great.

While this was bitter humor, I did get a chuckle out of it.

Kesen: "Can you teach me how to fight like that, sir?"
Kalam: "I expect your father has a better life in mind for you, lad. Fighting is for people who fail at everything else." – Deadhouse Gates

Cheers all.

Kempster

This post has been edited by kempster: 01 June 2014 - 07:39 AM

Paradise belonged to the innocent. Which was why it was and would ever remain … empty. And that is what makes it a paradise.

#12 User is offline   BellaGrace 

• Witness

Posted 09 September 2014 - 06:05 PM

When Gessler/Stormy/Truth/Felisian/Heboric etc were on the ship in the warren and the huge undead dragon flew over and Gessler waved at it. I literally laughed out loud.
I, a universe of atoms, an atom in the universe.
Richard P. Feynman

#13 User is offline   theocean 

• High Fist

Posted 16 September 2014 - 01:10 PM

The funniest scene is when bult and duiker are talking about when they first met. And talking about the beauty that bolt lost in their last meeting. The whole conversation was funny as hell.

#14 User is offline   WhiteHaven 

• Recruit

Posted 25 September 2014 - 09:10 PM

I may be a bit late - but I finished DG again (Last read was before 5 years and this time I wanna finish the series) but when Gessler started waving at a undead Dragon in a warren he didn't knew I had to laugh out aloud in the train.
I mean I see those ppl on a ship with undead Tiste Andii struggling for their live...out of nowhere a Dragon appears and what is the reaction? For me, nothing is funnier than THAT scene.

#15 User is offline   aeneas 

• Recruit

Posted 18 December 2014 - 09:21 PM

Cant tell if this was meant to be funny or not- But I got a kick out of how Kalam (of all people) ended up with 1300 children to look after. Although, I must ask, did Kalam at some point say to himself that he wanted to take those kids under his wing? Not everyone has the heart of Apt, especially an acclaimed assassin.

This post has been edited by aeneas: 18 December 2014 - 09:22 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users