Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Warehouse 13

#1 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 18 October 2013 - 08:49 AM

I was wondering if anyone else have been following this series.

I remember hearing about it a couple of years ago but then lost track of it. The concept of a series revolving around the warehouse from Indiana Jones sounded really cool.

I picked it up a couple weeks ago and have now developed a love hate relationship with it.

Outside children shows made in 90s I don't think I have ever seen this bad writing in a show. It's beyond generic, past weak, wallowing in some kind of category designed to earn the maximum amount of raspberry awards. Nothing about the show actually makes sense. The protocols around the warehouse's security and secrecy is laughably bad. The team working for the warehouse, even the super secret regency, are so unprofessional and inept at their jobs that you must weep for the fate of humanity.

And yet I kind of like the show anyway. The characters, maybe because they are so awful, are quite loveable. And the metric tons of cheese the show produces is sort of comforting in its predictability and entertainment value.

It's just frustrating watching them squander so much potential.

#2 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 18 October 2013 - 08:59 AM

It is enjoyable in a cool history-revisionism way, and iirc the writing gets better further into the seasons. I've only seen like the first 3 seasons. I found Eureka much better than Warehouse 13.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#3 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 18 October 2013 - 09:10 AM

I'm pretty sure I've mentioned this show a couple of times before on this forum! It's absolutely AWESOME in its sheer horribleness!
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#4 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 18 October 2013 - 09:34 AM

View PostObdigore, on 18 October 2013 - 08:59 AM, said:

It is enjoyable in a cool history-revisionism way, and iirc the writing gets better further into the seasons. I've only seen like the first 3 seasons. I found Eureka much better than Warehouse 13.

I just finished season three. The writing doesn't get better, it gets worse. Normally a show will expand the lore and fill out holes over time, instead Warehouse 13 just creates more and more inconsistencies and flaws in the rules of the universe.

I think the main problem I have with the series is that the Warehouse is horribly under staffed. Logically there should be dozens of agents doing retrieval. There should be research departments. Archival teams managing the inventory. Security teams walking the perimeter, guarding exits, paroling the isles, etc. There should be containment and kill teams ready to move out when things go bad. None of this exists. There's just 4 people doing ALL the work. The excuse that fewer people means less chance of attracting attention and a better chance of keeping their secrets does not work. Even in the very first episode you hear that Warehouse 13 is known by the FBI. The agents in the field are pathetically bad at keeping their roles secret.

Furthermore they should be using the artifacts much more heavily both in the field and in the guarding of their facilities and their key personnel. The answer to why they don't would obviously be that it is too dangerous but this isn't true. You see them use various types of Artifacts constantly in deus ex machina situations where the writer has written himself into a corner.

#5 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 18 October 2013 - 10:58 AM

View PostCrustaceous Apt, on 18 October 2013 - 09:34 AM, said:

View PostObdigore, on 18 October 2013 - 08:59 AM, said:

I just finished season three. The writing doesn't get better, it gets worse. Normally a show will expand the lore and fill out holes over time, instead Warehouse 13 just creates more and more inconsistencies and flaws in the rules of the universe.

I think the main problem I have with the series is that the Warehouse is horribly under staffed. Logically there should be dozens of agents doing retrieval. There should be research departments. Archival teams managing the inventory. Security teams walking the perimeter, guarding exits, paroling the isles, etc. There should be containment and kill teams ready to move out when things go bad. None of this exists. There's just 4 people doing ALL the work. The excuse that fewer people means less chance of attracting attention and a better chance of keeping their secrets does not work. Even in the very first episode you hear that Warehouse 13 is known by the FBI. The agents in the field are pathetically bad at keeping their roles secret.

Furthermore they should be using the artifacts much more heavily both in the field and in the guarding of their facilities and their key personnel. The answer to why they don't would obviously be that it is too dangerous but this isn't true. You see them use various types of Artifacts constantly in deus ex machina situations where the writer has written himself into a corner.

1) I don't recall Warehouse 13 being 'known' by the FBI in the first episode. In fact isn't there like a recurring storyline through the first season that their former boss is trying to figure out WTF Warehouse 13 is?

2) Using an artifact as a last resort is different from everyday usage in the field.

3) Phoenix, lol.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#6 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 18 October 2013 - 11:35 AM

I'm pretty sure that their former boss at the secret service didn't know what it was, he only knew about Mrs. Fredricks' authority from the papers she carried.
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#7 User is offline   Kruppe's snacky cakes 

• First Sword

Posted 18 October 2013 - 10:24 PM

It's a Syfy dramedy. If you accept it with the low expectations that fact ought to inspire, then it's actually a reasonably entertaining show. But I agree that it's gotten worse, not better...
I'm George. George McFly. I'm your density. I mean...your destiny.

#8 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 15 April 2014 - 05:09 PM

If I can't work I watch an episode of this or eureka and then work does not seem so bad.

#9 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 15 April 2014 - 09:07 PM

View PostCause, on 15 April 2014 - 05:09 PM, said:

If I can't work I watch an episode of this or eureka and then work does not seem so bad.

Are you saying that they're so bad that they make even work seem fun? Or that they're so fun that your fun level stays high, even while doing work?

#10 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 16 April 2014 - 10:57 AM

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 15 April 2014 - 09:07 PM, said:

View PostCause, on 15 April 2014 - 05:09 PM, said:

Are you saying that they're so bad that they make even work seem fun? Or that they're so fun that your fun level stays high, even while doing work?

Definitely the former!

#11 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 13 May 2014 - 04:00 PM

Yeah, that episode was surprisingly enjoyable.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users