Malazan Empire: ...And MY Karsa Orlong(digital illustration) - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

...And MY Karsa Orlong(digital illustration)

#1 User is offline   Bugg's Construction 

• Recruit
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:16 PM

Just finished this today. Hope you guys like it. Done in Corel Painter 12 on a Yiynova MSP19U tablet monitor.

Attached File(s)

“No sir. I judged as greatest the need of the Bridgeburners for the munitions in this carriage—’ ‘Shh! Don’t use that word, you fool!’ ‘Sorry, sir. Perhaps, then, we should invent some other term – something innocuous, that we could use freely.’ ‘Good idea. How about … kittens?’ ‘Kittens, sir? Why not? Now then, our carriage full of kittens is not something that can be abandoned, is it, sir?”

-The Crippled God

#2 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:32 PM

freakin awesome ::(

#3 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:43 AM

That's seriously awesomefuck.
I love the detail on the sword, and that his face has an element of youth to it.

One note:possibly due to the fur/strap combo, his lower legs have an awkward shape, but thats nitpicking.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#4 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:45 AM

Yah, the legs are slightly wonky but not too bad, probably an easy fix. What I'd nitpick about is the armor, which should be made of seashells I believe.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#5 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:27 AM

I think the arm length might be a bit off - looks like the tips of his fingers would reach almost to his knees, might be because he's dipping a shoulder and the boots going over the kneecap, but it looks a teensy tiny bit odd. Otherwise, I love it.
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#6 User is offline   Dutch 

• Bridgeburner
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen, American Football, Quick Ben

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:37 AM

Yikes, he's looking at you like: "Witness, I'm chopping you head off" or perhaps "äre you sh*tt*ng me?"
Sappers have a saying, he muttered. "Wide eyed stupid"

#7 User is offline   Bugg's Construction 

• Recruit
  • View gallery

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:01 PM

View PostTapper, on 05 April 2013 - 07:27 AM, said:

I think the arm length might be a bit off - looks like the tips of his fingers would reach almost to his knees, might be because he's dipping a shoulder and the boots going over the kneecap, but it looks a teensy tiny bit odd. Otherwise, I love it.

See I checked this with using myself to model and a camera. If you slightly crouch as he is doing, your fingers DO reach to your knees. I believe the proportions are correct, but that the viewpoint is slightly odd.
“No sir. I judged as greatest the need of the Bridgeburners for the munitions in this carriage—’ ‘Shh! Don’t use that word, you fool!’ ‘Sorry, sir. Perhaps, then, we should invent some other term – something innocuous, that we could use freely.’ ‘Good idea. How about … kittens?’ ‘Kittens, sir? Why not? Now then, our carriage full of kittens is not something that can be abandoned, is it, sir?”

-The Crippled God

#8 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 05 April 2013 - 06:58 PM

What time in Karsa's life do you think this picture captures? To some extent he looks like the young Karsa (early part of HoC) but the stone sword places him at a later point (after he suffered through a lot).
My quote fu fails me, but wasnt there a slave mark or something by that point.

#9 User is offline   Dutch 

• Bridgeburner
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen, American Football, Quick Ben

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:15 PM

View Postnacht, on 05 April 2013 - 06:58 PM, said:

What time in Karsa's life do you think this picture captures? To some extent he looks like the young Karsa (early part of HoC) but the stone sword places him at a later point (after he suffered through a lot).

There is, on his face.

The webbing.
Sappers have a saying, he muttered. "Wide eyed stupid"

#10 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:07 PM

View PostDutch, on 05 April 2013 - 07:15 PM, said:

There is, on his face.

The webbing.

Ok, I think this is what you describe. It is pretty close.

The source of the stinging sensation on Karsa’s face was revealed now. He reached up, seeking to feel something of the pattern, and slowly began tracing lines of slightly raised, damp strips of raw skin. They were not contiguous. He could make no sense of what the tattoo portrayed. ‘Shattered,’ the other prisoner said as he walked over to the door, which the first guard unlocked and swung open. ‘The brand makes your face look like it’s been shattered.’

#11 User is offline   Bugg's Construction 

• Recruit
  • View gallery

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:49 PM

I'd kind of considered this his leaving the Jhag Odhan(snow covered mountains, etc) with his flint sword. I didn't set out to make him look particularly young I guess that just happened. I could have scarred him up a little but with Toblakai healing I didn't really think he would be as scarred as a human would be.

-The Crippled God

#12 User is offline   GenKael 

• Recruit
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Nerd books, drawing, damsels, grog

Posted 06 April 2013 - 12:00 PM

That mountain would make Bob Ross proud.

#13 User is offline   Bugg's Construction 

• Recruit
  • View gallery

Posted 07 April 2013 - 12:21 AM

View PostGenKael, on 06 April 2013 - 12:00 PM, said:

That mountain would make Bob Ross proud.

I hope so! I am still learning how to do landscape elements and I certainly haven't found a better teacher.

-The Crippled God

#14 User is offline   Toraneko 

• destroyer of worlds

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:59 AM

His left arm looks waaaay too big to me. The positioning of that shoulder joint also looks too low considering where his head is. I also feel like we should be seeing more of his right lower arm, the empty space there just looks a bit awkward and a lot like some kind of floating hand appendage.

On the other hand, I really like how you drew his face! This has to be my favourite rendition of him I've seen. That mountain also looks rad, but I reckon it would be a bit better if the background was less saturated to make the foreground character pop a little more. You may also want to experiment with DOF blurring with the grass in the foreground. ^_^

Out of interest, how long did this take you?
~ toranekostudios.tumblr.com ~
Stress causes baldness but if you pay too much attention to keeping your stress levels down
it'll stress you out even more so there's really nothing we can do about it after all.

#15 User is offline   Bugg's Construction 

• Recruit
  • View gallery

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:17 PM

Toraneko said:

1365397165[/url]' post='1046448']
His left arm looks waaaay too big to me. The positioning of that shoulder joint also looks too low considering where his head is. I also feel like we should be seeing more of his right lower arm, the empty space there just looks a bit awkward and a lot like some kind of floating hand appendage.

On the other hand, I really like how you drew his face! This has to be my favourite rendition of him I've seen. That mountain also looks rad, but I reckon it would be a bit better if the background was less saturated to make the foreground character pop a little more. You may also want to experiment with DOF blurring with the grass in the foreground. :p

Out of interest, how long did this take you?

About 14 hrs of on and off working. As for his arm I personally don't see the problem. I can easily look in a mirror and this exact pose feels pretty natural and even my puny little arms hit the same points in scale. I think what may be throwing people for a loop is that I purposefully shrunk his head to about 3/4 of the size it would be on a human...and maybe in scale comparison it looks off. Besides, if his arm does look huge...well that was sort of the point. His build is massively exaggerated. He's not human. He's Toblakai.

-The Crippled God

#16 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:52 AM

I think its to do with at a quick glance the arm in the background doesn't look cocked so to speak, with the bicep showing my initial thought was that his arm couldn't be cocked because if you can see the bicep from that angle the elbow would be dropping down towards the ground not in a horizon angle. But when I looked st it as a massive muscle on the side of his arm it made more sense to me.

#17 User is offline   Grimjust Bearegular 

• Irregular Bacon Berserker Medic of the Abyssmal Army
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:MAFIA, drawing and writing.
  • Godless killing machine - and proud of it!

Also, braaaaiiiinnnnzzzzzzzz!

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:44 AM

Love the hair and face!

But yeah, he wears a vest made of seashells, and his belt has ears sewn onto it, if I remember correctly :p
Things and stuffs...and other important objects.

#18 User is offline   Brujah 

• Suicide of High House Mafia

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:45 PM

I don't even remember posing for this!.

:p

Awesome job.
And when you're Gone, you stay Gone, or you be Gone. You lost all your Seven Cities privileges. - Karsa

you're such an inspiration for the ways that I will never, ever choose to be...
- Maynard James Keenan

#19 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 31 May 2013 - 01:49 AM

I really really really like this!

And screw the nitpickers - who says Toblakai don't have slightly different relative proportions than humans? :p

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users