• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Canadaland

#1 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:19 PM

I'm going to be in Toronto for around a week in July visiting some relatives, and since I know some of you folks live around that area, I thought I'd seek your experience. What are the must sees that I can't afford to miss?

Also is going to Montreal worth it? I might be able to fit a day or two in montreal in at the end of my holiday, but it would involve a lot of extra travelling and a lot more expense.

#2 User is offline   RodeoRanch 

• The Midnight Special

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:24 PM

Beware the polar bears and/or randy moose.

#3 User is offline   Darkwatch 

• A Strange Human
  • Group: The Most Holy and Exalted Inquis

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:47 PM

View PostRodeoRanch, on 20 March 2013 - 11:24 PM, said:

Beware the plastic moose.

Edited for accuracy.
The Pub is Always Open

Proud supporter of the Wolves of Winter. Glory be to her Majesty, The Lady Snow.
Cursed Summer returns. The Lady Now Sleeps.

The Sexy Thatch Burning Physicist

Τον Πρωτος Αληθη Δεσποτην της Οικιας Αυτος

RodeoRanch said:

You're a rock.
A non-touching itself rock.

#4 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:50 PM

View PostImperial Historian, on 20 March 2013 - 11:19 PM, said:

I'm going to be in Toronto for around a week in July visiting some relatives, and since I know some of you folks live around that area, I thought I'd seek your experience. What are the must sees that I can't afford to miss?

Also is going to Montreal worth it? I might be able to fit a day or two in montreal in at the end of my holiday, but it would involve a lot of extra travelling and a lot more expense.

If you enjoy the nightlife, downtown toronto is great. There's also niagara falls. Montreal is also a great city but it's more of a city that comes to life at night as i found there really isn't much too montreal during the day, Quebec city is amazing however.

If you're a history buff definitely give fort york in toronto a visit, there's also the distellery district thats nice. I'd say visit the CN tower but it's overated.

#5 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:02 AM

Yes Montreal is worthwhile. Yes yes a thousand times yes and especially in July.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#6 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:04 AM

Montreal is good. But if I had to pick between it and QC, i'd go with Quebec City every time.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#7 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:07 AM

View PostImperial Historian, on 20 March 2013 - 11:19 PM, said:

I'm going to be in Toronto for around a week in July visiting some relatives

Cool. You should plan a side trip into Canada while you're there. :p

I assume you already have plans to visit Snakes and Lattes?

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#8 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:26 AM

I'll watch out for moose and polar bears. Thanks rodeo.

I'll have to see whether it's feasible for me to get to Quebec city, since you rate it so highly.

Niagara falls is definitely part of the plan, I'll check out fort York, history is definitely my thing (as you might guess from my username)

Snakes and lattes is definitely in my plans drek. Where would you recommend for a side trip to Canada?

#9 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:31 AM

Also, Wendigo!
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#10 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 21 March 2013 - 01:48 PM

View PostMentalist, on 21 March 2013 - 04:04 AM, said:

Montreal is good. But if I had to pick between it and QC, i'd go with Quebec City every time.

Cannot agree with you...

QC is cute, quaint even, but amounts to a nice but painfully overtouristicy old city and one stretch of cool bars, plus a neat island nearby to go to for maple syrup. QC is a long weekend at most.

Montreal has the bestest restaurants in the world, a wild downtown, a great old city, piles of cool neighborhoods, amazing shopping, a nightlife that is just getting going when QC is stumbling home drunk on Labatt beer, a metric fucktonne of great festivals in July and the best looking people in north america. It is wilder than Toronto, cooler than Vancouver, better looking than Quebec City and could drink most cities in the world under the table and then continue partying on into the next day. You could spend a week in Mtl and still have another week worth of things to do.

It's also 2+ hours closer to Toronto than QC if that's a factor.

I like QC. I regularly go to QC. But there is virtually nothing in QC that you can't find more of and better in Mtl. if you have time to see both, sure, totally, go for it.

Qualifier: if, however, your'e big-city'd out after Toronto, QC is a nice change in scope and size.

Other notes:

In Toronto, the Distillery District is nice on weekends, pretty dead during the week, the Beach is worth a walk (some great brunch places), kensington Market is worth a stroll, and for the love of all that is holy and deep fried get to the St Lawrence market (check which days its open) and have an italian veal and/or eggplant parmagiana sandwich from UNA MUSTACHIO on the bottom floor because it is a religious experience which will change your life and make you want to live there.

In Niagara, Niagara on the Lake is less touristy than the Falls and close to the wineries.

If you're driving east to QC or Mtl, Kingston is a cute stop about halfway between TO and Mtl, and Ottawa, while adding about 2 hrs of driving time, is the capital of Canada and worth a few hours. I can give you more info on those cities if you decide to stop there.

Anyone who tells you that Cobourg, Belleville or Hudson is worth a stop is lying.

#11 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 21 March 2013 - 02:19 PM

View PostImperial Historian, on 21 March 2013 - 08:26 AM, said:

I'll watch out for moose and polar bears. Thanks rodeo.

I'll have to see whether it's feasible for me to get to Quebec city, since you rate it so highly.

Niagara falls is definitely part of the plan, I'll check out fort York, history is definitely my thing (as you might guess from my username)

Snakes and lattes is definitely in my plans drek. Where would you recommend for a side trip to Canada?

I am not much of an expert. Just do what Abyss tells you to do :D

Also, if someone tells you you need to go into northern Ontario because that is the "real" Canada, they are a terrible person and you are well within your rights to yank their toque down around their face.

Also also, do not try to visit/count all of the Thousand Isles if you go past them between the cities.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#12 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 21 March 2013 - 02:37 PM

View PostD, on 21 March 2013 - 02:19 PM, said:

.... Just do what Abyss tells you to do :D

Drek is wise. Listen to Drek.

Also, if someone tells you you need to go into northern Ontario because that is the "real" Canada, they are a terrible person and you are well within your rights to yank their toque down around their face.

If anyone in Toronto tells you to go more than 1/2 hour north of downtown Toronto, do the same.

Also also, do not try to visit/count all of the Thousand Isles if you go past them between the cities.

However the 3hr cruise tour ( (sings) ...a threeeeee hour tour...) from Kingston or Gananoque, with or without the castle, is nice, if somewhat dull after the first 500 or so islands.

One note further to upthread - you mentioned history was your thing so i would be remiss in not acknowledging that QC does have the Plains of Abraham and some other points of major historical note, because i realize that eating awesome food and partying insanely among beautiful people in Montreal is not for everybody.

#13 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 21 March 2013 - 03:29 PM

View PostAbyss, on 21 March 2013 - 01:48 PM, said:

Cannot agree with you...

QC is cute, quaint even, but amounts to a nice but painfully overtouristicy old city and one stretch of cool bars, plus a neat island nearby to go to for maple syrup. QC is a long weekend at most.

Montreal has the bestest restaurants in the world, a wild downtown, a great old city, piles of cool neighborhoods, amazing shopping, a nightlife that is just getting going when QC is stumbling home drunk on Labatt beer, a metric fucktonne of great festivals in July and the best looking people in north america. It is wilder than Toronto, cooler than Vancouver, better looking than Quebec City and could drink most cities in the world under the table and then continue partying on into the next day. You could spend a week in Mtl and still have another week worth of things to do.

I like QC. I regularly go to QC. But there is virtually nothing in QC that you can't find more of and better in Mtl. if you have time to see both, sure, totally, go for it.

Qualifier: if, however, your'e big-city'd out after Toronto, QC is a nice change in scope and size.

Other notes:

In Toronto, the Distillery District is nice on weekends, pretty dead during the week, the Beach is worth a walk (some great brunch places), kensington Market is worth a stroll, and for the love of all that is holy and deep fried get to the St Lawrence market (check which days its open) and have an italian veal and/or eggplant parmagiana sandwich from UNA MUSTACHIO on the bottom floor because it is a religious experience which will change your life and make you want to live there.

In Niagara, Niagara on the Lake is less touristy than the Falls and close to the wineries.

If you're driving east to QC or Mtl, Kingston is a cute stop about halfway between TO and Mtl, and Ottawa, while adding about 2 hrs of driving time, is the capital of Canada and worth a few hours. I can give you more info on those cities if you decide to stop there.

Anyone who tells you that Cobourg, Belleville or Hudson is worth a stop is lying.

Well montreal does sound good, I'll have to try and rearrange my schedule and see if I can fly back from there, quebec city looks like it will be just a little to far. I'd probably go to Montreal via Lake Sunapee in the US, so wouldn't do any of the stop offs you recommend but thanks for the tips.

I'll definitely try the sandwich too.

Also noted that anywhere outside the big canadian cities is clearly not worth going to :D

#14 User is offline   Studlock 

• First Sword

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:46 AM

I take offence to that! There's plenty to see in Canada outside of the big cities...it just isn't in the that area!

#15 User is offline   Darkwatch 

• A Strange Human
  • Group: The Most Holy and Exalted Inquis

Posted 22 March 2013 - 02:30 AM

I'd recommend Ottawa, Québec city and Montreal over Toronto any day personally.

Ottawa is a great city, the By Ward market is a place full of awesome bars and the if you like Museums you will be well served as the Capital is full of some of the best I've ever seen. It's not too big nor small making it a great place to visit without exhausting everything in a day or rushing to see it all. If you can be in Ottawa on the 1st of July you're in for some fun.

Québec city is partially as Abyss describes it. I disagree on a few points. There is more than 1 stretch of cool bars. That and a lot of the good places are nicely hidden or outside the main tourist zones. It's also a lot cheaper than Montreal seeing as there's no bar that I've been to that has a cover charge. In July there's "Le festival d'été" which is HUGE and is always packing huge headliners. Also there may be less after parties in bars in Québec but considering people usually arrive home at 5 am drunk anyway and wake up drinking beer (influence from the Saguenay) they're massive party animals just a different breed. If you want recommendations for Québec let me know.

Montreal is basically as Abyss describes it. It is "cooler" than most any city in Canada, more diverse than Toronto, wilder than TO and Ottawa (Québec is wild but think more Irish wild). There is one warning I will give you about Montreal though. The drive. Is. Hell. I hate driving in Montreal, the congestion is insane and completely spontaneous. Find a place to park and use the transit system, the Metro is very efficient and will get you most places you need to go. Don't bother hassling with a car in Montreal. I'll let Abyss counsel you on MTL since he knows it far better than I do.

This post has been edited by Darkwatch: 22 March 2013 - 02:31 AM

The Pub is Always Open

Proud supporter of the Wolves of Winter. Glory be to her Majesty, The Lady Snow.
Cursed Summer returns. The Lady Now Sleeps.

The Sexy Thatch Burning Physicist

Τον Πρωτος Αληθη Δεσποτην της Οικιας Αυτος

RodeoRanch said:

You're a rock.
A non-touching itself rock.

#16 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 22 March 2013 - 02:44 AM

Where did QuickTidal go? Did he leave us forever?
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#17 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:07 PM

Cannot agree with you...

Other notes:

and while you're at the st.lawrence market botom floor, go to the coffee shop. It's coffee to die for.

#18 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:04 PM

View PostDarkwatch, on 22 March 2013 - 02:30 AM, said:

...Montreal is basically as Abyss describes it. It is "cooler" than most any city in Canada, more diverse than Toronto, wilder than TO and Ottawa (Québec is wild but think more Irish wild). There is one warning I will give you about Montreal though. The drive. Is. Hell. I hate driving in Montreal, the congestion is insane and completely spontaneous. Find a place to park and use the transit system, the Metro is very efficient and will get you most places you need to go. Don't bother hassling with a car in Montreal. I'll let Abyss counsel you on MTL since he knows it far better than I do.

I'll agree with DW on the driving. I'm used to it, but for non-natives it can be pretty nuts (there is one major expressway that i swear was designed to reproduce that alley Luke had to fly through to blow up the Deathstar, complete with lasers). Get a well situated place to stay downtown and the public transport is pretty great. You really don't need a car unless you're going to be there long enough to get out to the Laurentiens or Townships (rural regions about an hour out of the city, North and East respectively). .

View PostBalrogLord, on 22 March 2013 - 06:07 PM, said:

In Toronto, the Distillery District is nice on weekends, pretty dead during the week, the Beach is worth a walk (some great brunch places), kensington Market is worth a stroll, and for the love of all that is holy and deep fried get to the St Lawrence market (check which days its open) and have an italian veal and/or eggplant parmagiana sandwich from UNA MUSTACHIO on the bottom floor because it is a religious experience which will change your life and make you want to live there....

and while you're at the st.lawrence market botom floor, go to the coffee shop. It's coffee to die for.

True. And the brownie place is just wrong, assuming you have any room left after the sandwich. Note: forgot to mention: peppers and onions, extra sauce. About a thousand napkins.

#19 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:19 PM

I'm hungry already.

#20 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 23 March 2013 - 02:24 PM