Malazan Empire: Timeline? - Malazan Empire

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Timeline? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   stev 

  • Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 13
  • Joined: 11-March 13

Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:24 PM

If I wanted to read the series of both SE and ICE Chronologically what's the order? Anyone?
0

#2 User is offline   Nevyn 

  • Corporal
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 51
  • Joined: 19-March 13

Posted 19 March 2013 - 06:54 PM

There really isn't a chronological order to speak of, as there are flashbacks and the like.

Best bet is to read by release date, which appears to match the order of the book forums on here.
0

#3 User is offline   CowboyYojimbo 

  • Sergeant
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 81
  • Joined: 30-September 10

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:29 PM

This is the best you can do Stev. This is taken from a post in The Reapers Gale forum. I often use this when re-reading now.


QUOTE CHRONOLOGICAL ORDER OF THE MALAZAN BOOK OF THE FALLEN
BBS: Before Burn's Sleep
BS: Burn's Sleep

??? BBS: Prologue I of Midnight Tides/Prologue I of Reaper's Gale*
298,665 BBS: Prologue I of Memories of Ice
119,736 BBS: Prologue II of Memories of Ice
1154 BS: Prologue of Gardens of the Moon
1154 BS: Night of Knives

1154 BS?: Blood Follows**
1154 BS?: The Lees of Laughters End
1158 BS: The Healthy Dead

1159 BS: Prologue II of Midnight Tides
1161 BS: Chapter 1 of Gardens of the Moon
1161-62 BS: Midnight Tides
1162-63 BS?: Prologue and Book I of House of Chains***

1163 BS: Gardens of the Moon
1163-64 BS: Deadhouse Gates/Memories of Ice (occur simultaneously)

1164 BS: Books II-IV of House of Chains

1164 BS?: Prologue II of Reaper's Gale

1164-65 BS?: The Bonehunter
1164-66 BS?: Return of the Crimson Guard (may overlap with both TBH & RG)
1165-66 BS?: Reaper's Gale
1165-66 BS?: Toll the Hounds
post-1166 BS: Dust of Dreams
post-1166 BS: The Crippled God

* I'm assuming the war between the K'Chain Che'Malle and the Tiste predates the Tellann Ritual in the opening prologue of MoI, as the Imass don't seem to know anything about the KCCM, indicating that their time is long before then.

** IIRC, Emancipor Reese says in MoI that he's been with Broach and Bauchelain for ten years, and Lees takes place shortly after Blood Follows.

*** This includes both Trull being stuck on the wall and the whole Karsa storyline and yes I know this is reopening an old can of worms.
0

#4 User is offline   D'rek 

  • Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators
  • Posts: 7201
  • Joined: 08-August 07
  • Location::

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:33 PM

FoD
RotCG Prologue
MT Prologue
RG Prologue
MoI Prologue
NoK
GotM Prologue
MT
HoC book 1 (about halfway through, start reading a chapter of HoC for every book of GotM)
DG Prologue
HoC Prologue
BF
tLoLE
WoBM
DG and MoI, alternating every chapter or so
HoC books 2-4, and read tHD and CPT sometime in-between HoC chapters
BH prologue
BH (during the last book, start alternating chapters with the start of RG)
finish off RG
RotCG
TtH
prologue except for the first part
The first half of TtH
Continue reading TtH and start slowly alternating chapters with SW
the 1st part of the TtH prologue
TtH epilogue
DoD prologue
GoG
Continue SW while alternating chapters with DoD
intertwine the second half of DoD, the end of SW, TCG, OST and B&B, lining up the endings of TCG, SW, B&B and OST together
Assail


View PostCowboyYojimbo, on 19 March 2013 - 10:30 PM, said:

This is the best you can do Stev.


:killingme:

This post has been edited by D'rek: 19 March 2013 - 10:33 PM

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling (maybe she should change her name to Sinn).
1

#5 User is offline   CowboyYojimbo 

  • Sergeant
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 81
  • Joined: 30-September 10

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:55 PM

Damn Drek, that is comprehensive haha.

I wonder if anyone has actually alternated chapters like that? I should try this on read through...
0

#6 User is offline   Defiance 

  • Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 1423
  • Joined: 24-December 09
  • Location:IA
  • Interests:Malazan, RPGs, writing

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:56 AM

I couldn't imagine reading them like that. While it might make things a little clearer timeline-wise, I think it would thematically disrupt several of the books. The mid-book transitions between ICE and SE would be jarring as well.
uhm, that should be 'stuff.' My stiff is never nihilistic.
~Steven Erikson


Mythwood: Play-by-post RP board.
0

#7 User is offline   Nevyn 

  • Corporal
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 51
  • Joined: 19-March 13

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:14 PM

View PostD, on 19 March 2013 - 10:33 PM, said:

...
NoK
GotM Prologue
...


Aren't those two reversed? In the midst of a NoK re-read and they refer to the riots and the purging of wax-witches,etc, as having already happened. Also I think in the GotM conversation, the Emperor isn't dead yet, just still missing.

This post has been edited by Nevyn: 20 March 2013 - 07:17 PM

0

#8 User is offline   D'rek 

  • Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators
  • Posts: 7201
  • Joined: 08-August 07
  • Location::

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:58 PM

View PostNevyn, on 20 March 2013 - 07:14 PM, said:

View PostD, on 19 March 2013 - 10:33 PM, said:

...
NoK
GotM Prologue
...


Aren't those two reversed? In the midst of a NoK re-read and they refer to the riots and the purging of wax-witches,etc, as having already happened. Also I think in the GotM conversation, the Emperor isn't dead yet, just still missing.


Correct.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling (maybe she should change her name to Sinn).
0

#9 User is offline   Abyss 

  • abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Posts: 13769
  • Joined: 22-May 03
  • Location:The call is coming from inside the house!!!!
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:06 PM

View PostD, on 19 March 2013 - 10:33 PM, said:

...Continue SW while alternating chapters with DoD
intertwine the second half of DoD, the end of SW, TCG, OST and B&B, lining up the endings of TCG, SW, B&B and OST together...


I'm not sure what's scarier... that this is accurate, that you were able to explain it, or that so many of us understood it.
I have always been tempted to organize my bookshelf autobiographically, so i can tell you how i got from THE HOBBIT to THOMAS COVENANT by way of the naked lady cover of THE DRAGONRIDERS OF PERN when i was thirteen.
0

#10 User is offline   HiddenOne 

  • Mortal Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 1007
  • Joined: 29-May 10

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:53 PM

Or that I don't even question such things, that scares me


Now who has all the books in electronic format and can shuffle them into the order presented here? I'm ready to trade the last tattered remnants of my sanity for a sense of literary accomplishment equal to that of the guy who found the manuscript written by the first Martian to get marooned on Earth

What, nobody else watches the news?
HiddenOne. You son of a bitch. You slimy, skulking, low-posting scumbag. You knew it would come to this. Roundabout, maybe. Tortuous, certainly. But here we are, you and me again. I started the train on you so many many hours ago, and now I'm going to finish it. Die HO. Die. This is for last time, and this is for this game too. This is for all the people who died to your backstabbing, treacherous, "I sure don't know what's going on around here" filthy lying, deceitful ways. You son of a bitch. Whatever happens, this is justice. For me, this is justice. Vote HiddenOne Finally, I am at peace.
0

#11 User is offline   worry 

  • Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 6688
  • Joined: 24-February 10
  • Location:the buried west

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:43 PM

Has anyone confirmed whether the Kindle version of GotM ever fixed all those errors?
The slower the river, the redder it runs.
0

#12 User is offline   Spoilsport Stonny 

  • Emperor
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 963
  • Joined: 19-March 11

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:42 PM

View Postworrywort, on 20 March 2013 - 11:43 PM, said:

Has anyone confirmed whether the Kindle version of GotM ever fixed all those errors?


Were there errors? I read the TPB version first then the .epub version on reread. Nothing stood out, but I wasn't really looking for it either. Were they OCR errors or actual content errors?
Theorizing that one could poop within his own lifetime, Doctor Poopet led an elite group of scientists into the desert to develop a top secret project, known as QUANTUM POOP. Pressured to prove his theories or lose funding, Doctor Poopet, prematurely stepped into the Poop Accelerator and vanished. He awoke to find himself in the past, suffering from partial amnesia and facing a mirror image that was not his own. Fortunately, contact with his own bowels was made through brainwave transmissions, with Al the Poop Observer, who appeared in the form of a hologram that only Doctor Poopet could see and hear. Trapped in the past, Doctor Poopet finds himself pooping from life to life, pooping things right, that once went wrong and hoping each time, that his next poop will be the poop home.
0

#13 User is offline   worry 

  • Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 6688
  • Joined: 24-February 10
  • Location:the buried west

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:27 PM

OCR errors I believe. Consistently calling Toc "Toe the Younger" and stuff like that.
The slower the river, the redder it runs.
0

#14 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

  • a kiss away from being dangerous
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 2864
  • Joined: 07-February 08
  • Location:Apple Valley, MN

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:32 PM

Tiste Andu
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle them?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch
0

#15 User is offline   Spoilsport Stonny 

  • Emperor
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 963
  • Joined: 19-March 11

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:18 PM

Oh. Let me check...

No tiste andu and two instances of toe the younger and two or three plain old Toe's on my epub. Toc appears many times so it looks like most have been fixed. There is no version information, but the maps inside are in color and SEs preface from 07 is present as well.
Theorizing that one could poop within his own lifetime, Doctor Poopet led an elite group of scientists into the desert to develop a top secret project, known as QUANTUM POOP. Pressured to prove his theories or lose funding, Doctor Poopet, prematurely stepped into the Poop Accelerator and vanished. He awoke to find himself in the past, suffering from partial amnesia and facing a mirror image that was not his own. Fortunately, contact with his own bowels was made through brainwave transmissions, with Al the Poop Observer, who appeared in the form of a hologram that only Doctor Poopet could see and hear. Trapped in the past, Doctor Poopet finds himself pooping from life to life, pooping things right, that once went wrong and hoping each time, that his next poop will be the poop home.
0

#16 User is offline   worry 

  • Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 6688
  • Joined: 24-February 10
  • Location:the buried west

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:47 PM

Also Tattersail is referred to as "Fat Hermione" a few times. Not sure how the OCR could even make that mistake.
The slower the river, the redder it runs.
1

#17 User is offline   Spoilsport Stonny 

  • Emperor
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 963
  • Joined: 19-March 11

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:57 PM

View Postworrywort, on 22 March 2013 - 09:47 PM, said:

Also Tattersail is referred to as "Fat Hermione" a few times. Not sure how the OCR could even make that mistake.


I pissed my pants twice laughing at this.
Theorizing that one could poop within his own lifetime, Doctor Poopet led an elite group of scientists into the desert to develop a top secret project, known as QUANTUM POOP. Pressured to prove his theories or lose funding, Doctor Poopet, prematurely stepped into the Poop Accelerator and vanished. He awoke to find himself in the past, suffering from partial amnesia and facing a mirror image that was not his own. Fortunately, contact with his own bowels was made through brainwave transmissions, with Al the Poop Observer, who appeared in the form of a hologram that only Doctor Poopet could see and hear. Trapped in the past, Doctor Poopet finds himself pooping from life to life, pooping things right, that once went wrong and hoping each time, that his next poop will be the poop home.
0

#18 User is offline   stev 

  • Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 13
  • Joined: 11-March 13

Posted 24 March 2013 - 04:32 AM

View PostCowboyYojimbo, on 19 March 2013 - 10:29 PM, said:

This is the best you can do Stev. This is taken from a post in The Reapers Gale forum. I often use this when re-reading now.


QUOTE CHRONOLOGICAL ORDER OF THE MALAZAN BOOK OF THE FALLEN
BBS: Before Burn's Sleep
BS: Burn's Sleep

??? BBS: Prologue I of Midnight Tides/Prologue I of Reaper's Gale*
298,665 BBS: Prologue I of Memories of Ice
119,736 BBS: Prologue II of Memories of Ice
1154 BS: Prologue of Gardens of the Moon
1154 BS: Night of Knives

1154 BS?: Blood Follows**
1154 BS?: The Lees of Laughters End
1158 BS: The Healthy Dead

1159 BS: Prologue II of Midnight Tides
1161 BS: Chapter 1 of Gardens of the Moon
1161-62 BS: Midnight Tides
1162-63 BS?: Prologue and Book I of House of Chains***

1163 BS: Gardens of the Moon
1163-64 BS: Deadhouse Gates/Memories of Ice (occur simultaneously)

1164 BS: Books II-IV of House of Chains

1164 BS?: Prologue II of Reaper's Gale

1164-65 BS?: The Bonehunter
1164-66 BS?: Return of the Crimson Guard (may overlap with both TBH & RG)
1165-66 BS?: Reaper's Gale
1165-66 BS?: Toll the Hounds
post-1166 BS: Dust of Dreams
post-1166 BS: The Crippled God

* I'm assuming the war between the K'Chain Che'Malle and the Tiste predates the Tellann Ritual in the opening prologue of MoI, as the Imass don't seem to know anything about the KCCM, indicating that their time is long before then.

** IIRC, Emancipor Reese says in MoI that he's been with Broach and Bauchelain for ten years, and Lees takes place shortly after Blood Follows.

*** This includes both Trull being stuck on the wall and the whole Karsa storyline and yes I know this is reopening an old can of worms.

sweet. cheers!
0

Share this topic:


Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users