Malazan Empire: HOUSE OF CARDS - Malazan Empire

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

HOUSE OF CARDS Netflix Original Series - Politics, Kevin Spacey, David Fincher

#1 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:58 PM

Anyone else watching this? It's a remake of a 1990 BBC show. It's exclusively on Netflix (and is the first show they've produced). You can watch the first ep even if you don't have netflix for free on their site...it's 13 episodes, and all were available immediately so that if you chose to you could sit down and watch in one go.

The series stars Kevin Spacey as Frank Underwood, a ruthless politician with his eye on the top job in Washington, D.C.

I'm not normally one for political drama's...like not at all...but the first ep of this hooked me. I think that adds up to the incredible writing and stellar direction and tone. The actor's were all chosen quite deftly. All 13 eps are directed by David Fincher (FIGHT CLUB, PANIC ROOM, THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO), and you can tell (it has his style).

Looking fwd to seeing the rest of the eps.

anyone else given it a chance yet?
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#2 User is offline   A Demon Llama! 

• First Sword
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:05 PM

I vaguely recall watching a trailer for this a while ago. Actually, all I remember is Kevin Spacey. I'll watch the first episode and see if I like it. Its only 13 episodes and its done, or is this the first season?
No Touchy.

#3 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Writing. Martial arts. Sport. Music, playing and singing, composition.

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:44 PM

I'm planning on sitting down to watch it all starting this week. Loved the original UK version, so deliciously nasty -- a precursor to The Thick Of It in many ways, even though drama rather than comedy. Looking forward to seeing this.
It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about nowadays saying things against one, behind one's back, that are absolutely and entirely true.
-- Oscar Wilde

#4 User is offline   A Demon Llama! 

• First Sword
  • View gallery

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:10 AM

Watched the first episode. I'm also not a fan of these kinds of shows but it wasn't half bad, pretty intriguing. I'll continue watching. Worth checking out.
No Touchy.

#5 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • Group: Administrators
  • very good...;)

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:14 AM

There are suppose to be a total of 26 episodes. So 2 seasons. Netfix spent 100 + mil on the series and then went totally hands off. Something that not even HBO would do.
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#6 User is offline   Defiance 

• Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
  • Interests:Malazan, RPGs, writing

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:17 AM

I just started watching this. Overall the first episode was pretty good, but I've already noticed two things that are going to bug the shit out of me:

Overuse of music. Seriously, there is music in almost every fucking scene. It's completely unnecessary when two people are just talking, and it feels like it ruins some of the impact of the dialogue.

Talking directly to the audience. I have never been a fan of this. Feels really gimmicky.
uhm, that should be 'stuff.' My stiff is never nihilistic.
~Steven Erikson

Mythwood: Play-by-post RP board.

#7 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:16 AM

I really like the breaking of the fourth wall. The little balloons for the text messages are also pretty cool. There's more I like in there than I dislike. It helps that I particularly really like the actress who plays Russo's secretary. She is just that little bit different from the usual pretty actress stereotype.
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#8 User is offline   Gnaw 

• Recovering eating disordered addict of HHM
  • View gallery

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:57 AM

I am really liking this show. This last ep with the dying bodyguard is incredible. They've spent all this time setting Robin Wright's character up to be the long suffering, "good wife". Then they shattered that.
"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor Frankl

#9 User is offline   frookenhauer 

• Mortal Sword
  • Interests:Women
    Money
    AI
    Writing

Posted 14 April 2013 - 08:09 PM

View PostGnaw, on 10 April 2013 - 12:57 AM, said:

I am really liking this show. This last ep with the dying bodyguard is incredible. They've spent all this time setting Robin Wright's character up to be the long suffering, "good wife". Then they shattered that.

She's hardly the long suffering wife. She plans EVERYTHING with her husband. And as for good?!? Are you really watching the show?
Spoiler

Great series. Sags a little in the middle but rallies at the end.

Spacey is pretty damn damned good throughout.

Robin Wright has a hole in her neck, freaks the hell out of me, and hopefully now you too :(

I never noticed it as I was distracted by her body, but my wife pointed it out...women.
souls are for wimps

#10 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 13 December 2013 - 07:12 PM

Season two promo. Don't watch if you haven't seen season 1.

I didn't watch the whole things because it looked like it was revealing too much but it did make me concerned.

In the first season, if it hadn't been for you know what he did to that guy in that car, Underwood would have straddled a fine line between being bad and good. A person with many sides that you could love or hate for his methods but at least you understood his thinking.

Now in the second season it seems like they are going all out with the "bad guy" angle, making Underwood sound almost satanically evil. Like some kind of Anti-christ that has to be stopped before it is too late.

Anyway, I love that he is in the White House now. The thing that I found most fascinating was how he strategically manoeuvred all the pieces around on the political chessboard. I would love to see what he gets up to in matters of state and in terms of foreign relations. Imagine Frank Underwood handling the Middle Eastern peace talks!

This post has been edited by Not Brent Weeks: 13 December 2013 - 07:12 PM

#11 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • very good...;)

Posted 13 December 2013 - 07:25 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 10 February 2013 - 06:58 PM, said:

Anyone else watching this? It's a remake of a 1990 BBC show. It's exclusively on Netflix (and is the first show they've produced). You can watch the first ep even if you don't have netflix for free on their site...it's 13 episodes, and all were available immediately so that if you chose to you could sit down and watch in one go.

The series stars Kevin Spacey as Frank Underwood, a ruthless politician with his eye on the top job in Washington, D.C.

I'm not normally one for political drama's...like not at all...but the first ep of this hooked me. I think that adds up to the incredible writing and stellar direction and tone. The actor's were all chosen quite deftly. All 13 eps are directed by David Fincher (FIGHT CLUB, PANIC ROOM, THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO), and you can tell (it has his style).

Looking fwd to seeing the rest of the eps.

anyone else given it a chance yet?

It is the second show they produced the first was Lillyhammer which didn't do as well as House of Cards but they still brought it back for a second run.
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#12 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 27 February 2015 - 02:44 PM

Season 3 is up!

Can't say I liked what they did with the Underwood character in season 2 but I am really looking forward to seeing what Frank Underwood in the White House turns in to.

His foreign policies should be something special.

#13 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 27 February 2015 - 05:25 PM

The new Secret Service uniform of assless chaps and AK-47s was a daring choice.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#14 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 27 February 2015 - 08:29 PM

Half-way through the season:

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Apt: 27 February 2015 - 08:34 PM

#15 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGs_qK2PQA

Posted 27 February 2015 - 09:31 PM

Going to start watching this tonight and work on my truck...fun fun!
-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#16 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 27 February 2015 - 10:14 PM

The best moments of the first two seasons was when minor characters ripped Frank for being racist.

Those were so dead on, but they were minor moments and most people never thought about them.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#17 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 28 February 2015 - 09:11 AM

Holy shit those descriptions of their marriage by the author in episode 12. I want to read this guys book.

#18 User is offline   Stormcat 

• cat of storms
  • Interests:sci fi/fantasy books. WoW.

Posted 28 February 2015 - 01:08 PM

Oh for some reason I did not know it was up already. Looks like I have my weekend booked. :veryangry:

#19 User is offline   McLovin 

• Cutlery Enthusiast
  • Interests:Knives. Stabbing. Stabbing with knives.

Posted 28 February 2015 - 01:58 PM

Season 3 ep 1 was good but I'm getting tired of Stamper. Want more Frank and Claire!
OK, I think I got it, but just in case, can you say the whole thing over again? I wasn't really listening.

#20 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 28 February 2015 - 03:09 PM

View PostMcLovin, on 28 February 2015 - 01:58 PM, said:

Season 3 ep 1 was good but I'm getting tired of Stamper. Want more Frank and Claire!

I finished the season earlier. Stampers story is the most interesting and fucked up one in this season. Like holy shit.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users