• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Star Wars MegaThread Movie discussions, announcements, etc

#721 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 20 October 2015 - 05:31 PM

View PostBriar King, on 20 October 2015 - 05:29 PM, said:

I probably won't be able to see it for a week or more as we are down to 1 theater serving 400K population area. :D that's going to be agony

You can't grab advance tix now?
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#722 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 20 October 2015 - 05:47 PM

I have always been a pretty casual fan of Star Wars. The only movie I saw in theaters was Return of the Jedi. I did love the hell out of lightsabers and the Millennium Falcon. I read the books for the original trilogy and one by Alan Dean Foster called Splinter of the Mind's Eye that took place before Empire Strikes Back but that's it. My kids were raised on the prequel trilogy; my son still has his Boba Fett helmet and costume. My daughter likes Ahsoka from The Clone Wars movie and series, as do I for some reason (sorry BK, lol!)

That being said, partly from reading this thread and my daughter's enthusiasm, I find myself really beginning to anticipate this movie. We won't be attempting opening weekend, but there is no doubt that this will be a family experience and I'm quite excited about it! My daughter and I actually started streaming the Clone Wars series together to try and get the full backstory on Ahsoka since we've now seen her in Rebels and in case she shows up in TFA. I never expected to get this caught up but these trailers look fantastic. I'm already loving the Rey character.

#723 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 20 October 2015 - 07:03 PM

I am only now thinking of looking at the Clone Wars for the same reason... I know very little about Ahsoka pre-Rebels.

Just watched the trailer again. Love that slow Vader breath over the mask reveal. Also, everything else about it.

When the news broke about the new movies, my brother and I both agreed that we wouldn't get too excited about it. That's kind of gone right out of the window now.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#724 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 20 October 2015 - 07:16 PM

View PostTraveller, on 20 October 2015 - 07:03 PM, said:

I am only now thinking of looking at the Clone Wars for the same reason... I know very little about Ahsoka pre-Rebels.

Ahsoka has the BEST character arc in any non-main movie narrative of the Star Wars universe barnone. She starts off as a bit of a whiny, sidekick-y apprentice...but quickly loses that and become VERY cool over the first season, and progresses to grow and change as the seasons wend on. She's, simply put, amazing.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 20 October 2015 - 07:16 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#725 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 20 October 2015 - 07:55 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 20 October 2015 - 07:16 PM, said:

View PostTraveller, on 20 October 2015 - 07:03 PM, said:

Ahsoka has the BEST character arc in any non-main movie narrative of the Star Wars universe barnone. She starts off as a bit of a whiny, sidekick-y apprentice...but quickly loses that and become VERY cool over the first season, and progresses to grow and change as the seasons wend on. She's, simply put, amazing.

I'll argue that the villains story arc in season 4 and 5 is the, hands down, best of The Clone Wars.
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#726 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 21 October 2015 - 06:49 AM

What are we assuming is the purpose of the search in the old Star Destroyer, if that's what it is? Wasn't Anakins/Lukes saber dropped along with his hand, on Bespin?
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#727 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 21 October 2015 - 10:32 AM

I can't believe how anti white that trailer was*!

...In seriousness I was sceptical at first, but the trailer looked pretty good. I like the idea of an Imperial Trooper becoming a Jedi, has echoes of Revan about it.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#728 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 21 October 2015 - 12:30 PM

Like many others, I had my optimism well in hand.

OUT THE FUCKING WINDOW!
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#729 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 21 October 2015 - 12:48 PM

Luke wasn't shown in the trailer... at least his face wasn't. LUKE IS THE BAD GUY.

WHOOP WHOOP.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#730 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 21 October 2015 - 01:00 PM

I fully think that Luke is being held in reserve for a 3rd act reveal...in which he will step out of the shadows when things are worst, and crush a squadron of Tie Fighters into tin can balls directly out of the sky with the force, turn to Kylo Ren and growl "Bring it clown." and proceed to educate the "devoted Vader lover" in the ways of the jedi badassery.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 21 October 2015 - 01:01 PM

#731 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 21 October 2015 - 01:07 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 21 October 2015 - 01:00 PM, said:

I fully think that Luke is being held in reserve for a 3rd act reveal...in which he will step out of the shadows when things are worst, and crush a squadron of Tie Fighters into tin can balls directly out of the sky with the force, turn to Kylo Ren and growl "Bring it clown." and proceed to educate the "devoted Vader lover" in the ways of the jedi badassery.

I think that Luke has been twisted and flirted with the dark side, and now leads a group of 'jedi' who bring balance to the force. A group of 'grey jedi' that kill all sith and all straight jedi.

He is continuing his fathers mission of bringing balance to the force.

That would be a super awesome story.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#732 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 21 October 2015 - 01:08 PM

View PostObdigore, on 21 October 2015 - 01:07 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 21 October 2015 - 01:00 PM, said:

I think that Luke has been twisted and flirted with the dark side, and now leads a group of 'jedi' who bring balance to the force. A group of 'grey jedi' that kill all sith and all straight jedi.

He is continuing his fathers mission of bringing balance to the force.

That would be a super awesome story.

It's a cool idea, narratively...but I highly doubt it.

#733 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 21 October 2015 - 01:21 PM

Swiped this from Facebook. LOLOLOL

Posted Image
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#734 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 21 October 2015 - 02:01 PM

while I expected this to a degree...this is insane!

http://variety.com/2...les-1201621977/

The advance tickets sales shattered like every record for such that exist.

#735 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 21 October 2015 - 02:07 PM

I'm pretty sure I saw Boba Fett in the trailer, though, so maybe they'll honour him getting out of the Sarlacc...
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#736 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 21 October 2015 - 02:25 PM

View PostMaark, on 21 October 2015 - 02:07 PM, said:

I'm pretty sure I saw Boba Fett in the trailer, though, so maybe they'll honour him getting out of the Sarlacc...

I was just about tot post about this.

Here is the shot of the Knights of Ren with the section blown up.

Attached File  MYpBz8N.jpg (36.36K)
Number of downloads: 0

Now, that is DEFINITELY Mandalorian armor...but it doesn't have to be Boba Fett.

Moreover, Lawrence Kasdan always expressed an interest in the idea that Fett became a mantle worn by different people (like the Dread Pirate Roberts in THE PRINCESS BRIDE) and has not always been that of the original Boba Fett (Jango's son and unaltered clone).

Lastly, the new canon book AFTERMATH has an interlude (3 months after the Battle Of Endor) where a local Tatooine sheriff and a local treasure hunter argue inside a Jawa storage hulk for possession of the original Boba Fett armor (which clearly made it out of the Sarlaac)...the sheriff guy wins by straight up killing the treasure hunter and takes the armor. Now this means that either Boba escaped the Sarlaac alive too, and was separated from his armor...or the physical Boba died, and his armor survived and is going to be taken up by someone else as mantle.

Either way, that's a Manadalorian as part of The Seven (Kylo's Knights of Ren...which are apparently based on a dark side version of the Seven Samurai)...whether it's Boba, or someone else remains to be seen.

#737 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 21 October 2015 - 02:26 PM

I'm sorry, I think this is hilarious.

Attached File  CRzCz9mWsAAuZRj.jpg (45.1K)
Number of downloads: 9

#738 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 21 October 2015 - 03:40 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 21 October 2015 - 02:25 PM, said:

Moreover, Lawrence Kasdan always expressed an interest in the idea that Fett became a mantle worn by different people (like the Dread Pirate Roberts in THE PRINCESS BRIDE) and has not always been that of the original Boba Fett (Jango's son and unaltered clone).

Wasn't Boba Fett also Mandalore? So the shifting-identity leader of the Mandalorians is itself a shifting identity...?

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#739 User is offline   Serenity 

• Saki!!!!!

Posted 21 October 2015 - 04:10 PM

Just watching the trailer again, that shot of the TIE fighters and X-wings with the snowy background (Hoth?) reminds me so much of the shot from RotJ where the rebel fighters are flying towards the Death Star and the TIE fighters come at them :D

#740 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 21 October 2015 - 04:30 PM

View PostD, on 21 October 2015 - 03:40 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 21 October 2015 - 02:25 PM, said:

Wasn't Boba Fett also Mandalore? So the shifting-identity leader of the Mandalorians is itself a shifting identity...?

Technically Boba Fett adopted Mandalorian armor from his "father/clone batch" Jango (who WAS a Mandalorian; though Mandalore is a planet and culture not a species... they are still human). Boba was born/created on Kamino by the Kaminoan Cloners. He never lead any Manadalorians, and merely used the armor to honour his father, and strike fear into the hearts of his enemies with gear of Super Commandos/Death Watch. He never lead the actual Manadalorians in any way.

Sidebar Canon info: Darth Maul (post-The Phantom Menace; he was brought back in THE CLONE WARS tv series with robotic legs) was the last person to hold power over Mandalore, he and his brother Savage Opress lead the Death Watch commandos in a coup on Mandalore to unseat the ruling house. Darth Sidious/Emperor Palpatine came to Mandalore after that and took out Opress, and subdued Maul...which beghins the Imperial domination of the planet and the scattering of the Mandalorian culture.

Share this topic:

• 143 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users