• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Star Wars MegaThread Movie discussions, announcements, etc

#461 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 29 November 2014 - 01:49 AM

View PostNicodimas, on 29 November 2014 - 01:39 AM, said:

View PostAndorion, on 29 November 2014 - 01:33 AM, said:

They could have made that Sith scene a bit better. There doesn't seem to be any enemy so when he lights up his saber, it does look like all he wants to do is cut some firewood for the winter.

Let's be honest no Jedi would pick that as a place to fight. cold and miserable.

...others..others are going to fight him.

The Ones Beyond the Wall?

#462 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 29 November 2014 - 02:22 AM

OK they better not break my heart (again), but

Attached File(s)

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#463 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 29 November 2014 - 09:35 AM

OK...there is one part of this trailer that's pissing me off.

Going back a few months now, I made a post in this thread about locations.

....desert. Fucking desert. Quite probably Tattooine. WHY?!?!?!? I really hope it's like "the first ten or twenty minutes of character introductions then off and up out to new places" (like a shortened version of EpIV's intro). Otherwise I'll be annoyed. No, scratch that, I still don't like it, but I'll live with it. XD

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#464 User is offline   Kanubis 

• Captain of Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 29 November 2014 - 10:54 AM

Attention to detail: The dish that got knocked off the falcon as it escaped from the Death Star in RotJ has been replaced with a different one.
Captain of Team Quick Ben. Also teaboy.

#465 User is offline   McLovin 

• Cutlery Enthusiast
  • Interests:Knives. Stabbing. Stabbing with knives.

Posted 29 November 2014 - 12:42 PM

View PostSilencer, on 29 November 2014 - 09:35 AM, said:

....desert. Fucking desert. Quite probably Tattooine. WHY?!?!?!?

if certain predictions about the plot are correct, my guess is that's where Luke has gone into seclusion, and events will converge there.
OK, I think I got it, but just in case, can you say the whole thing over again? I wasn't really listening.

#466 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 29 November 2014 - 02:05 PM

....desert. Fucking desert. Quite probably Tattooine. WHY?!?!?!? I really hope it's like "the first ten or twenty minutes of character introductions then off and up out to new places" (like a shortened version of EpIV's intro). Otherwise I'll be annoyed. No, scratch that, I still don't like it, but I'll live with it. XD

The rumour is that it's not Tatooine, but another desertlike planet, which is why they shot in Abu Dhabi as opposed to Tunisia (where the Tatooine sets still exist).

Then ther eis the Alpine looking location the X-squadron are flying over...and then the darker snowy woods with the sith (possibly still the alpine location?) which I thought COULD be Morriband, the sith homeworld.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#467 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 29 November 2014 - 02:06 PM

View PostAndorion, on 29 November 2014 - 01:33 AM, said:

They could have made that Sith scene a bit better. There doesn't seem to be any enemy so when he lights up his saber, it does look like all he wants to do is cut some firewood for the winter.

I think we are assuming he's there to fight. He may not be, and if the sword is ceremonial...

...but on the other hand, he might just be sensing somehting offscreen with his powers and ignites his sword as a result?

Couple of theories.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#468 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 29 November 2014 - 06:08 PM

View PostTraveller, on 28 November 2014 - 10:13 PM, said:

I didn't see any muppets, which is good. Nice to see the Falcon... the rest, well, we'll just have to wait and see.

A POX ON YOU AND YOUR ANTI-MUPPET AGENDA!!!
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#469 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 29 November 2014 - 06:24 PM

I'm pretty sure now that the narration is Andy Serkis.

#470 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 29 November 2014 - 06:28 PM

View PostPrimateus, on 29 November 2014 - 06:08 PM, said:

I didn't see any muppets, which is good. Nice to see the Falcon... the rest, well, we'll just have to wait and see.

I've no problem with actual puppets over CGi - it's those stupid cartoon-character aliens from the podracing/Jabba's muppet sing-along which I'd rather never see again...

This post has been edited by Traveller: 29 November 2014 - 06:31 PM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#471 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 29 November 2014 - 06:31 PM

View PostTraveller, on 29 November 2014 - 06:28 PM, said:

View PostPrimateus, on 29 November 2014 - 06:08 PM, said:

I've no problem with actual puppets over CGi - it's those stupid cartoon-character aliens from the podracing/Jabba's muppet sing-along which I'd rather never see again...

okay we're cool Posted Image
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#472 User is offline   Grief 

• Prophet of High House Mafia

Posted 29 November 2014 - 06:56 PM

I didn't like the teaser.

It felt almost like a parody/fan made. Particularly with the awful cheesy narration and the musical cues. The beginning, where the stormtrooper pops onto screen after "dramatic" narration accompanied by the rapid music felt like something out of a Scary Movie film or something.

The pointless cut to a football looking robot and the lightsaber seemed to be more about selling the film on the basis of "look what cool creative new designs we have and will later merchandise" rather than anything else. The lightsaber seems unnecessary to me, and just seems to stem from Darth Maul honestly (I doubt they would have done it if not for Episode 1, I mean). I honestly groaned at that part (the narration did not help...narration is not necessary to point out the Manichean dynamic of the films, reallly).

Basically, I have my doubts about it. I'm currently expecting it to be a decent film, probably rather cookie-cutter, that doesn't do anything especially interesting with the universe and panders a lot. I just can't really see Disney doing much other than playing it safe, and the trailers so far really haven't helped with that. On the plus side, I also doubt they'll do anything so awful as Jar-Jar etc.

Will still go and see it, but cautiously (though after Episode 1-3, that was a given anyway).

The best part of the trailer was the shot of the X-wings probably.

Though actually, watching it on mute it doesn't seem quite so bad (some bits are still silly though), so maybe it's just the narration of the trailer I'm having issues with.

Cougar said:

Grief, FFS will you do something with your sig, it's bloody awful

worry said:

Grief is right (until we abolish capitalism).

#473 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 29 November 2014 - 07:19 PM

Why's it gotta be a "desert planet"? Aren't there any planets in the galaxy with multiple biomes?
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#474 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 29 November 2014 - 07:33 PM

View Postworry, on 29 November 2014 - 07:19 PM, said:

Why's it gotta be a "desert planet"? Aren't there any planets in the galaxy with multiple biomes?

Shai Hulud wants a word with you about that.....
meh. Link was dead :(

#475 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 29 November 2014 - 07:57 PM

View Postworry, on 29 November 2014 - 07:19 PM, said:

The main planet in REBELS is Lothal, which is in turns grassy plains and deserts...so it COULD be there.

Adding a point that someone noted from the trailer. The Falcon swings past the sun...SUN. Just one. I don't think it's Tatooine.

#476 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 29 November 2014 - 08:00 PM

The Shai Hulud can talk all it wants. I am safe here on Goobia, the marshmallow planet.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#477 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 29 November 2014 - 08:13 PM

All I want is some X-Wings/A-Wings/B-Wings/Y-Wings/E-Wings/K-Wings/V-Wings blowing shit up. I know I won't get the last three, though. RIP EU.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#478 User is offline   McLovin 

• Cutlery Enthusiast
  • Interests:Knives. Stabbing. Stabbing with knives.

Posted 29 November 2014 - 08:26 PM

Finally saw it in a theater. Even though I watched it a dozen times on iTunes, it still gave me goosebumps.
OK, I think I got it, but just in case, can you say the whole thing over again? I wasn't really listening.

#479 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 29 November 2014 - 08:43 PM

View PostMcLovin, on 29 November 2014 - 08:26 PM, said:

Finally saw it in a theater. Even though I watched it a dozen times on iTunes, it still gave me goosebumps.

Oh man, the X-Wings and the falcon must have looked GLORIOUS in the theatre! Tell me they did. Let me live vicariously.

Was there cheering?

#480 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 30 November 2014 - 02:24 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 29 November 2014 - 02:05 PM, said:

The rumour is that it's not Tatooine, but another desertlike planet, which is why they shot in Abu Dhabi as opposed to Tunisia (where the Tatooine sets still exist).

Then ther eis the Alpine looking location the X-squadron are flying over...and then the darker snowy woods with the sith (possibly still the alpine location?) which I thought COULD be Morriband, the sith homeworld.

As I said. DESERT. Even if it's not specifically Tatooine, it's basically the same place (we can see what looks like standard Tatooine-esque junk engines and shit in several shots, people clearly use speeders a lot, and there are probably vaporators all over the place, wouldn't be surprised if there are Tuscan Raiders/expies thereof, either). The point is, it's got shots on another boring desert planet specifically BECAUSE of the movies' fascination with Tatooine. That planet is a bloody isolated spaceport of nefarious reputation, it shouldn't be in every goddamn movie.

And substituting it for another planet of the same exact features but "not Tatooine" doesn't exactly do much for me. The setting is overused, thanks to the prequels. If this was a straight-up, sequel movie to VI, I'd be fine with it. It'd be nice to see the mirror to the first trilogy. But because the prequels were unable to do a single movie without copious amounts of time on a certain twin-sunned desert planet, I think we need to go elsewhere.

Why not a Hoth-like planet? Or a forest area of what is clearly a varied biome? Sure, we might get other planets (X-Wing scene, lightsaber scene), but why have the desert at all?! Unless it's a VERY deliberate "screw that prequel trilogy" setup, it's just too much sand. XD

View PostGrief, on 29 November 2014 - 06:56 PM, said:

I didn't like the teaser.

It felt almost like a parody/fan made. Particularly with the awful cheesy narration and the musical cues. The beginning, where the stormtrooper pops onto screen after "dramatic" narration accompanied by the rapid music felt like something out of a Scary Movie film or something.

Eh, that wasn't awesome, but I think they're trying to convey snippets of the tone here. It's a teaser. The first teaser. A YEAR out from release. I think we can give them leeway with how little it actually conveys. Remember, we don't actually want to see the whole movie in a trailer!

The pointless cut to a football looking robot and the lightsaber seemed to be more about selling the film on the basis of "look what cool creative new designs we have and will later merchandise" rather than anything else. The lightsaber seems unnecessary to me, and just seems to stem from Darth Maul honestly (I doubt they would have done it if not for Episode 1, I mean). I honestly groaned at that part (the narration did not help...narration is not necessary to point out the Manichean dynamic of the films, reallly).

Yeah, that lightsaber makes almost as little sense as the "light whip" from the EU. However, as QT noted, it may be entirely ceremonial/a deliberately older style of saber due to the nature of its wielder. Or it could be purely included so that someone can cut the little emitters off dramatically in the final fight scene at some point, or something. Who knows, maybe they do something actually useful?

Personally, I think dual-wielded, shorter sabers would have been a cool thing to see that acknowledges the different options without trying to one-up the double-ended saber. Though in practice, unless our heroes are really good with their sabers, fighting someone experienced with twin blades would screw them over from lack of experience VERY fast. XD

Basically, I have my doubts about it. I'm currently expecting it to be a decent film, probably rather cookie-cutter, that doesn't do anything especially interesting with the universe and panders a lot. I just can't really see Disney doing much other than playing it safe, and the trailers so far really haven't helped with that. On the plus side, I also doubt they'll do anything so awful as Jar-Jar etc.

Will still go and see it, but cautiously (though after Episode 1-3, that was a given anyway).

The best part of the trailer was the shot of the X-wings probably.

Though actually, watching it on mute it doesn't seem quite so bad (some bits are still silly though), so maybe it's just the narration of the trailer I'm having issues with.

Eh, I'm not sure. Disney doesn't have any particular need to play this particularly safe. They are likely to take a step back from what the prequels were doing (or at least have a more reasonable cast) and bring it back to the smaller-scale story for the first episode, but that's about it. They can afford to pick and choose EU bits for use, after all.

This teaser wasn't super-inspiring, but like I said, first look. The Falcon, X-Wings, and TIE fighters were there for shout-outs/to get the audience excited, the rest of it was "these three people are characters in this film". Oh, and "looky, new Storm Trooper design!", which was pretty decent.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

Share this topic:

• 143 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users