• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Star Wars MegaThread Movie discussions, announcements, etc

#1541 User is online   JPK 

• Lemming of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Sacrificing myself for everyone else's greater good!

Posted 18 December 2017 - 03:16 AM

View PostBriar King, on 17 December 2017 - 11:42 PM, said:

I don’t believe Ben for a second with
Spoiler

I mostly agree with this, but for a slightly different reason.

Spoiler

This post has been edited by JPK: 18 December 2017 - 03:16 AM

#1542 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 18 December 2017 - 03:30 AM

I'm with you, Sil.
Spoiler

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#1543 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 18 December 2017 - 04:31 AM

View PostCoco with marshmallows, on 17 December 2017 - 09:53 PM, said:

Since when were there gods in Star Wars? Admiral Holdo saying "God bless you"

She said "Godspeed" which is a bit different. And characters have been invoking Hell since the OT, so...
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#1544 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 18 December 2017 - 09:05 AM

I thought it was wicked good. Some of it didn't make sense and some choices were odd, but mostly it was probably the most interesting SW film to date and certainly the prettiest, most brilliant on a cinematic/cinematographic level one.

Spoiler

I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#1545 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 18 December 2017 - 01:57 PM

View PostBriar King, on 18 December 2017 - 03:37 AM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 17 December 2017 - 07:49 PM, said:

View PostBriar King, on 17 December 2017 - 07:45 PM, said:

Should be interesting bks that get into exactly what she can do and how she learned it.

Except Rian goddamn Johnson probably didn't even think it out do it will have to be retconned by someone else sadly.

Tbf your displeasure should also include Kathleen also right? We ve seen her replace 2 directors already. I guess he passed muster with her. I did definitely feel that he was off but that’s because all that good ole EU badassness is in my head.

It very much is, I agree. Until this point I'd basically given Kat Kennedy EVERY benefit of the doubt with regards to NuCanon Star Wars. She liked Rian because he did his work and did it in a professional manner, and ended up on time and (from what I hear) under budget. But after the debacle that I consider The LAST JEDI to be...I've lost a SIGNIFICANT amount of faith in her. That she thought this was a good through line for these movies is beyond me. Moreso that she felt it was okay for Rian Johnson to completely eviscerate JJ Abrams work in TFA...and she's even brought him back to do the third. I no longer trust her as far as I can throw her.

The goddamn movie opened with a long-winded "prank call" joke FFS. Sweet gods.

I'm getting more upset by the day really. The more I think about it, the angrier I am about the whole thing.

TF.N is largely freaking out. People who disliked or outright hated it....and people saying it was amazing. And the interesting thing is that ANYONE saying they didn't like it are being raked over the coals by those that did. It's astonishing really. It DOES seem like more people there didn't like it than did though...so safe to say the fanbase isn't exactly happy.

Spoiler

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 18 December 2017 - 02:23 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#1546 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 18 December 2017 - 02:46 PM

I don't get the hate for the 'Luke was about to kill Kylo' thing. It was pretty clearly spelled out that he wasn't going to do it.

And Poe's crank call was damn funny.

Enough to dislike in the film, but those two things aren't on my list.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#1547 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 18 December 2017 - 03:12 PM

View PostAbyss, on 18 December 2017 - 02:46 PM, said:

I don't get the hate for the 'Luke was about to kill Kylo' thing. It was pretty clearly spelled out that he wasn't going to do it.

It's not whether or not he would do it...it's that he would be worried enough about his own nephew and head student that he'd sneak into his sleeping cabin in the middle of the night, and blaze up his lightsaber. The fact that he didn't follow through is besides the point. Nothing can convince me that the Luke I know from ROTJ would ever do such a thing. At worst, he might confront Ben Solo during daylight hours about the dark side and Snoke...and perhaps battle him over it if Ben pushed...but this silent in the night shit is GARBAGE character assassination. It was done so that Rian could have Rey be conflicted about Luke and go to Kylo and serve the throne room double-cheat where you think Kylo might swing back. Nothing more. This film was FULL of things Rian did to serve his own narrative in inorganic ways, and in the case of Luke destroys who he was.

Even Hamill disagrees with this fact as he said in a red carpet interview a few days back "Jedi NEVER give up hope" And they should not.

Si9debar: You can tell in the more recent interviews what Hamill thinks of what was done to Luke, and he's just a professional putting on a face to the media so as not to sink the ship, but I'll wager he's not happy with what happened.

I laughed. I admit. And be that as it may, it was a level of humour that felt completely out of place. Especially to open the movie on (and do NOT get me started on Luke's casual throw of the saber over his shoulder) I don't like Hux much, but he was a punching bag in this movie from start to finish to serve as the butt of all jokes.

Fair enough. They are totally on mine. :unworthy:

But then as the days pass I find more and more to be upset about.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 18 December 2017 - 03:14 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#1548 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 18 December 2017 - 03:29 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 18 December 2017 - 03:12 PM, said:

I laughed. I admit. And be that as it may, it was a level of humour that felt completely out of place. Especially to open the movie on (and do NOT get me started on Luke's casual throw of the saber over his shoulder)...

Fair enough. They are totally on mine. :unworthy:

But then as the days pass I find more and more to be upset about.

It was because it was so utterly out of place that the crank call was so funny.

As for the sabre toss... meh, it was indicative of Luke's dislike for all things Jedi by then. He felt he had been sold a shit trip since Obiwan handed him the damn thing.

I get the sense that part of the difficulty some people are having is from this curious canonization of Luke that took place over the centuries since RETURN OF THE JEDI.
It's particularly odd for EU fans since Luke was very fallible in the EU stuff, beyond the complete fail that was Jacen. He lost a bunch of students, couldn't do much against the Vong invasion, for like 20 books, etc etc. I get on some level that 'everyone' wanted a badass Luke to just waltz in and kick ass, but we didn't get that with Han, barely had a hint of it from Leia, why expect more from Luke. And i say this as someone deeply disappointed that Chewie has not pulled off anyone's arm and beaten them to death with it yet in the new films.

#1549 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 18 December 2017 - 03:44 PM

View PostAbyss, on 18 December 2017 - 03:29 PM, said:

I get the sense that part of the difficulty some people are having is from this curious canonization of Luke that took place over the centuries since RETURN OF THE JEDI.
It's particularly odd for EU fans since Luke was very fallible in the EU stuff, beyond the complete fail that was Jacen. He lost a bunch of students, couldn't do much against the Vong invasion, for like 20 books, etc etc. I get on some level that 'everyone' wanted a badass Luke to just waltz in and kick ass, but we didn't get that with Han, barely had a hint of it from Leia, why expect more from Luke. And i say this as someone deeply disappointed that Chewie has not pulled off anyone's arm and beaten them to death with it yet in the new films.

I just can't see how any of it is organic to Luke....all I see are the OTHER plot points that Rian wanted to hit, and he served those instead and anything else fell by the wayside for Edgy "Subvert All The Things!" crap...and adding in there fact that he wanted to shuffle away the OT and basically reboot the Star Wars universe at Zero...I mean shit, he even puts it in the script with Kylo's words about "killing the past", which I guess makes Rian's stand-in Kylo Ren...which I admit makes sense. AKA Petulant, insipid dark fanboy who decided to do his own thing at the detriment to all around him.

I just fail to see how any of this is interesting going forward. The stakes are actually lesser than they were at this point in the last trilogy. There is no New Republic (because apparently they were entirely in one System, Navy and all), the First Order is now a chunked Empire clone with none of the Imperial governmental oversight to keep ANYONE under their sway, led by two squabbling teenage brothers, and the Rebellion is one Jedi and about 19 Rebel soldiers, with no ships except the Millennium Falcon and no support (the Outer Rim people that supposedly sided with them are intentionally absent). I'm not sure what Star WARS you can have with those factors all that's in play, but okay.

And Chewie nearly ate a roasted Porg...that was cool.

I'm happy others found stuff to like or even love in this movie...but it's ATOC level for me at this point.

I like it as a film if I ignore it's Star Wars. After a few days of careful thought, I really dislike it as a Star Wars film, and feel Rian Johnson fundamentally misunderstands what the franchise is about.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 18 December 2017 - 03:45 PM

#1550 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 18 December 2017 - 03:52 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 18 December 2017 - 03:44 PM, said:

And Chewie nearly ate a roasted Porg...that was cool.

He prepared two. I'm certain Rey ate the other one and loved it. With a jug of the nipple-juice from those Dr Seuss rejects Luke was milking.

I like it as a film if I ignore it's Star Wars. I really dislike it as a Star Wars film, and feel Rian Johnson fundamentally misunderstands what the franchise is about.

Yeah, it's the 'what the franchise is about' thing that is so thoroughly subjective.
We're talking about a series that started out with one pretty good film utterly novel for its time, one brilliant film, and a massively good/bad finale (Vader/Ewoks), then three progressively worse... anyways, the point being i think Star Wars gets a certain amount of buildup in people's expectations/brainzez such that anytone else's vision, including the director paid to make the thing and generate bazillions of dollars, won't live up.

#1551 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 18 December 2017 - 04:00 PM

View PostAbyss, on 18 December 2017 - 03:52 PM, said:

Yeah, it's the 'what the franchise is about' thing that is so thoroughly subjective.
We're talking about a series that started out with one pretty good film utterly novel for its time, one brilliant film, and a massively good/bad finale (Vader/Ewoks), then three progressively worse... anyways, the point being i think Star Wars gets a certain amount of buildup in people's expectations/brainzez such that anytone else's vision, including the director paid to make the thing and generate bazillions of dollars, won't live up.

I think when the guy who has lived and breathed the character of Luke for 40 years (Mark Hamill), disagrees with the Director/Writer on how he's being portrayed here, I'm in comfortable company of saying Rian didn't get Luke. If there was one character in this new series he needed to NAIL...it was Luke Skywalker. He didn't.

#1552 User is offline   rant 

• Sergeant

Posted 18 December 2017 - 04:10 PM

I think this was the most ambitious/different story to come out of the Star Wars franchise since the NJO (which I loved for the same reason)...and I really enjoyed it. That said I had some of the same issues already mentioned.

Spoiler

I used to dislike that the EU had been relegated to b-canon. But now, I'm really appreciating the idea of multiple ways of telling the same story. Something for everyone.

This post has been edited by rant: 18 December 2017 - 05:21 PM

#1553 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 18 December 2017 - 04:23 PM

View PostBriar King, on 18 December 2017 - 03:18 AM, said:

Just have to wait and see. It’s what darksiders do though.

Ryan did an interview yesterday where he says that as far as he is concerned...Kylo was telling Rey the truth.

#1554 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 18 December 2017 - 04:27 PM

View Postrant, on 18 December 2017 - 04:10 PM, said:

...Really disliked (I don't hate): The force sensitive kid at the end. Paired with the decimation of the resistance.....that just really gave me the impression that the resistance is now going to use child soldiers in their war with the First Order....

I agree w a lot of what you posted but that is a stretch from that scene.

#1555 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• View gallery

Posted 18 December 2017 - 04:32 PM

Re:Luke, other thoughts:
Spoiler

This post has been edited by Salt-Man Z: 18 December 2017 - 10:38 PM

"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"

#1556 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 18 December 2017 - 04:49 PM

View PostBriar King, on 18 December 2017 - 04:29 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 18 December 2017 - 04:23 PM, said:

View PostBriar King, on 18 December 2017 - 03:18 AM, said:

Just have to wait and see. It’s what darksiders do though.

Ryan did an interview yesterday where he says that as far as he is concerned...Kylo was telling Rey the truth.

And you think he is telling the truth? After 8 you think he is a darksider lol

I think Rian REALLY thinks he was clever with his whole Rey is no one, anyone can be Jedi thing. So as far as he is concerned, I feel like It's all there, no argument...

But yes, I agree that Kylo as a character SHOULD be lying...and perhaps JJ will make it that he was lying once we see IX. Only time will tell.

Just one more thing that Rian eviscerated that JJ set up that JJ now has to fix in IX.

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 18 December 2017 - 04:32 PM, said:

I also found it odd that it was Ghost!Yoda who appeared to Luke, since it was only ever Ghost!Obi-Wan before (barring the end of RotJ.)

View PostBriar King, on 18 December 2017 - 04:41 PM, said:

I found it odd that it was just one and not all 3 from VI

As I said in my initial post, the fact that the other two force ghosts that we know to exist didn't show up, is another notch in the fact that Rian needed the story to go the way he needed to go and nowhere else...so although from a logic standpoint OF COURSE it would be all three ghosts who would show up to Luke...Rian could not have that because it would have slashed all his Rey & Luke story ideas to utter shreds...so he ignored them so they didn't cock up his amateurish plans.

Goddamn. Turns out I don't like Rian Johnson at all. LOL I didn't care much for LOOPER, and found BRICK overtly self-congratulatory...so it should be less of a surprise...but damn, I was really hoping to like what he did.

#1557 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 18 December 2017 - 05:21 PM

Adding another thought...Is THIS the "story of the Skywalker family" that Kat Kennedy said the main films will always be telling? That they only bring misery and evil to the galaxy no matter what anyone does? Anakin becomes Vader, is evil and brings evil to the galaxy. Luke redeems Anakin/Vader, but later on wavers in his faith and accidentally pushes his own nephew into the dark side, who is evil, brings evil to the galaxy. As such, I doubt there is a redemption in the cards now for Kylo....so Rey kills him in IX. End of Skywalker line.

Wow, what a GREAT way to end the Skywalker story.

/s

Fucks sake.

#1558 User is offline   rant 

• Sergeant

Posted 18 December 2017 - 05:23 PM

Spoiler

Lol ya I know. Sorry, I meant that to be a joke but forgot to include any comedy cues.

This post has been edited by rant: 18 December 2017 - 05:26 PM

#1559 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 18 December 2017 - 05:50 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 18 December 2017 - 05:21 PM, said:

Adding another thought...Is THIS the "story of the Skywalker family"... only bring misery and evil to the galaxy no matter what anyone does... GREAT way to end the Skywalker story.

Hadn't really thought about it but yeah, that would be an ugly shift.

View Postrant, on 18 December 2017 - 05:23 PM, said:

Spoiler

Lol ya I know. Sorry, I meant that to be a joke but forgot to include any comedy cues.

Seriously.
Everyone knows the Resistance only employs emotionally insecure teens with abandonment issues.

#1560 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• View gallery

Posted 18 December 2017 - 06:04 PM

View PostAbyss, on 18 December 2017 - 05:50 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 18 December 2017 - 05:21 PM, said:

Adding another thought...Is THIS the "story of the Skywalker family"... only bring misery and evil to the galaxy no matter what anyone does... GREAT way to end the Skywalker story.

Hadn't really thought about it but yeah, that would be an ugly shift.

Yeah, that occurred to me too last night: Anakin plunges the galaxy into darkness, which is restored by Luke/Leia, then undone by Ben. They're all dead and now the entire (brief) Skywalker line becomes a footnote in galactic history.

Share this topic:

• 143 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users