• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Dragon's Dogma I want your pawns!

#1 User is offline   Ulrik 

• Highest Marshall of Mott Irregulars
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 03 June 2012 - 11:19 PM

Hey everyone. Dont know if you know that recently was launched amazing oper RPG big boss hunting game Dragon's Dogma. There is unique system of sharing your fellow AI henchmen (made by yourself!) and between friends its free...so you can send your fellow, for example say Trull Sengar, let him help some desperate player (or friend) and dear Trull learns XP, makes money and most importantly, learns about new quests, monsters... Its pretty clever. So, if you are interested in friendship through Xbox Live, my user ID is UlrikDecado.

But dont take it only as plea for free pawns, I just want to recommend this pretty huge and addictive game - it wont sell much copies and it deserves every penny for trying something new and original. And of course, every new friend on XBL is welcomed, because there is soooo many good coop games :tongue:
Adept Ulrik - Highest Marshall of Quick Ben's Irregulars
Being optimistic´s worthless if it means ignoring the suffering of this world. Worse than worthless. It´s bloody evil.
- Fiddler

#2 User is offline   moridin 

• Sergeant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 08 June 2012 - 05:54 PM

View PostUlrik, on 03 June 2012 - 11:19 PM, said:

Hey everyone. Dont know if you know that recently was launched amazing oper RPG big boss hunting game Dragon's Dogma. There is unique system of sharing your fellow AI henchmen (made by yourself!) and between friends its free...so you can send your fellow, for example say Trull Sengar, let him help some desperate player (or friend) and dear Trull learns XP, makes money and most importantly, learns about new quests, monsters... Its pretty clever. So, if you are interested in friendship through Xbox Live, my user ID is UlrikDecado.

But dont take it only as plea for free pawns, I just want to recommend this pretty huge and addictive game - it wont sell much copies and it deserves every penny for trying something new and original. And of course, every new friend on XBL is welcomed, because there is soooo many good coop games :p

I have 80+ hours into this game and I love it. I love the indirect multi player they use, even though they don't earn xp or money when someone borrows them, but they do "learn" about new things they see, which is cool as hell. I would recomend anyone who likes action rpg's to at least rent this and try it.

#3 User is offline   wade 

• more interesting African Swallow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 08 June 2012 - 07:15 PM

How odd, I just came onto Malazan wondering if, by chance, there's be a thread for this. Who knew!
I have it on PS3 though, sorreh. If I still played on my Xbox, I'd probably invite you.

#4 User is offline   Ulrik 

Posted 11 June 2012 - 04:52 PM

View Postmoridin, on 08 June 2012 - 05:54 PM, said:

View PostUlrik, on 03 June 2012 - 11:19 PM, said:

But dont take it only as plea for free pawns, I just want to recommend this pretty huge and addictive game - it wont sell much copies and it deserves every penny for trying something new and original. And of course, every new friend on XBL is welcomed, because there is soooo many good coop games :p

I have 80+ hours into this game and I love it. I love the indirect multi player they use, even though they don't earn xp or money when someone borrows them, but they do "learn" about new things they see, which is cool as hell. I would recomend anyone who likes action rpg's to at least rent this and try it.

Yup, not XP, making crysals nad items. I love the game. System of pawns is amazing, especially learning of behaviour from your actions... and those monster battles are epic!
Being optimistic´s worthless if it means ignoring the suffering of this world. Worse than worthless. It´s bloody evil.
- Fiddler

#5 User is offline   Loki 

• Knight Commander of Team Quick Ben
  • WWQBDFTW?

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:58 PM

I played the demo and liked what I saw but there really wasn't much there to go off. I've heard a few unflattering reviews but I find the pawn share dynamic pretty interesting. I'm probably going to rent it out on 360 as soon as I finish my Dead Island playthough.

Wry, on 29 February 2012 - 10:50 AM, said:

And you're not complaining, you're criticizing. It's a side-effect of being better than everyone else, I get it sometimes too.

~TQB~

#6 User is offline   wade 

Posted 12 June 2012 - 06:30 AM

View PostLoki, on 11 June 2012 - 11:58 PM, said:

I played the demo and liked what I saw but there really wasn't much there to go off. I've heard a few unflattering reviews but I find the pawn share dynamic pretty interesting. I'm probably going to rent it out on 360 as soon as I finish my Dead Island playthough.

I may be biased, having the game, but lots of people say that after playing both the demo, then the full game, the demo doesn't do it justice.

#7 User is offline   Ulrik 

Posted 12 June 2012 - 08:57 AM

Yes, I heard the same...not thrilled by demo, totally fell in love with game itself.
- Fiddler

#8 User is offline   Ulrik 

Posted 12 June 2012 - 08:59 AM

Im just not sure, how make my main pawn into efficien fighter-tank...which skills...and I blew up initial characteristics, so he, as guardian, stays at my side and defends my AFTER Im attacked...and I need him to rush and tank before ;)
- Fiddler

#9 User is offline   wade 

Posted 12 June 2012 - 11:44 AM

View PostUlrik, on 12 June 2012 - 08:59 AM, said:

Im just not sure, how make my main pawn into efficien fighter-tank...which skills...and I blew up initial characteristics, so he, as guardian, stays at my side and defends my AFTER Im attacked...and I need him to rush and tank before ;)

You know about knowledge benches, right? You can alter their behaviour there.

#10 User is offline   Ulrik 

Posted 13 June 2012 - 10:30 AM

Yes, I know, just, Im not sure what he means when he asks if he should be my shield? Is it using of aggro pull or stayng by my side? ;)
- Fiddler

#11 User is offline   wade 

Posted 13 June 2012 - 12:01 PM

View PostUlrik, on 13 June 2012 - 10:30 AM, said:

Yes, I know, just, Im not sure what he means when he asks if he should be my shield? Is it using of aggro pull or stayng by my side? :)

I'm not too sure, I've only fiddled with my pawn (ho ho, you know what I'm talkin' bout ;) ) a few times. Just mess around and see which combinations give you the best results :)

#12 User is offline   moridin 

• Sergeant

Posted 15 June 2012 - 09:03 PM

View PostUlrik, on 12 June 2012 - 08:59 AM, said:

Im just not sure, how make my main pawn into efficien fighter-tank...which skills...and I blew up initial characteristics, so he, as guardian, stays at my side and defends my AFTER Im attacked...and I need him to rush and tank before :harhar:

Have you figured this out yet?

If not this is what I do. If you go to the encampment there is a guy standing next to the rift stone. He will sell stuff for RC. He sells potions that will change your pawns inclination. Each potion will tell you exactly what it does. What you do is give your pawn 2 for the main inclination, then 1 of the secondary inclination you want. Then just check his inclination every once and a while because it will change depending on your actions(which I think is awsome, the pawns learn from us).

Also, Gaurdian, which sounds like it should be great, is really bad. Basically, like you said, the pawn will not do anything until you are attacked, which sucks sometimes.

I also agree about the demo. I thought it was a really bad demo, but I still wanted to play this game. Since then I've put 130 hours into it and am almost to the end of a new game+ play through. Probably be starting a new character tonight.

#13 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 24 June 2012 - 11:29 AM

My interest is piqued. Well, more than that - after a quick review-hunt, I just ordered it, as I'm now on the last act of Witcher 2 and will be needing something else soon.

Interesting set of reviews though. It looks like a lot of people are really into it, even though there are some less-than-perfect elements that have lead to some of the poorer reviews. So the good out-weighs the bad, as far as I can see.

I think it's possible to decide whether you're going to like a game or not based on what other players write. I also checked the Edge magazine review, as it was an Edge article and review that sold me Dark Souls. I was a bit suprised to see that they rated it higher than 'Witcher 2', although both didn't do too well in their opinion. That kind of clinched it for me though, as Witcher 2 suffers from a mixed bag of reviews, and I got that despite the poor ones, and have been really enjoying it.

How bad is the 'letterbox' format though? Seems odd that they haven't gone full-screen, it's got a lot of negative criticism for that alone.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#14 User is offline   moridin 

• Sergeant

Posted 25 June 2012 - 01:55 PM

View PostTraveller, on 24 June 2012 - 11:29 AM, said:

My interest is piqued. Well, more than that - after a quick review-hunt, I just ordered it, as I'm now on the last act of Witcher 2 and will be needing something else soon.

Interesting set of reviews though. It looks like a lot of people are really into it, even though there are some less-than-perfect elements that have lead to some of the poorer reviews. So the good out-weighs the bad, as far as I can see.

I think it's possible to decide whether you're going to like a game or not based on what other players write. I also checked the Edge magazine review, as it was an Edge article and review that sold me Dark Souls. I was a bit suprised to see that they rated it higher than 'Witcher 2', although both didn't do too well in their opinion. That kind of clinched it for me though, as Witcher 2 suffers from a mixed bag of reviews, and I got that despite the poor ones, and have been really enjoying it.

How bad is the 'letterbox' format though? Seems odd that they haven't gone full-screen, it's got a lot of negative criticism for that alone.

I played it on a 32 inch flat screen with an HDMI from my Xbox. The letterbox format never even bothered me. I would definatly recomend this game, it is very enjoyable.

#15 User is offline   wade 

Posted 25 June 2012 - 03:52 PM

View Postmoridin, on 25 June 2012 - 01:55 PM, said:

View PostTraveller, on 24 June 2012 - 11:29 AM, said:

I played it on a 32 inch flat screen with an HDMI from my Xbox. The letterbox format never even bothered me. I would definatly recomend this game, it is very enjoyable.

I only noticed the letterboxing about ten hours in. Wasn't even bovvered.

#16 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:04 PM

I've started playing this now, and so far, it looks pretty good. I had to turn off all the fluorescent maps, button-guides and other general clutter on the screen, and after killing some wolvews and bandits, and investigating a monster in a well, I'm getting into it now. (Oh, and I killed an ogre legolas-style by climbing up his back and stabbing it repeatedly in the head, while it flailed around trying to shake me off).

I've only really just started with the pawn-thing though. I recruited a couple from the Rift, which I think means that they are created by and on loan from other players?

I like the landscape, the controls, and the character creation set up at the start - although now I've seen my character in the cut-scenes, I'd like the option to make a few changes. I've seen that you can do this later in the game at specific points, but how/where I don't know yet.

Best part so far - decending into the Witchwood, which is the closest forest in a game to imitate the Old Forest in LotR's. It got misty, dimly lit, and I actually realised at one point that I had gone round in a circle and was retracing my steps. And there were spiders.

Worst bit so far - just the fact that the pawns are called pawns, and are supposedly emotionless people that follow humans around. They've come up with a great way of having companions in a game, but then spoiled the illusion by having the need to explain why they can be summoned to help. Going into the Witchwood with an Elf and a Barbarian, each carrying their own lanterns and chatting about the scenery as the sky got darker, was actually way better than some RPGs with companions that are supposed to be real beings rather than pawns.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#17 User is offline   Wolfy 

• Lair of the Spectacular Tongue Beast

Posted 03 July 2012 - 02:56 AM

This sounds interesting, I might check out the demo for PS3 if there is one :)

#18 User is offline   Lucifer's Heaven 

• Shaved Knuckle
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 04 July 2012 - 02:51 AM

I didn't think to check for a demo...
Let me know if there is one, I've been curious to try this game for a while now :)
"So how'd you save the world?"
"Averted the rapture by drowning the baby Jesus in his own tears"

#19 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 07 July 2012 - 08:05 PM

This game is a big heap of RPG fun. Despite first appearances. (Busy HUD, weird 80's movie theme music at start).

I'd say it was a blend of Dark Souls, Skyrim, Witcher 2, and Red Dead Redemption - the last mostly because of the lush environment, day/night cycles, and the very real threat from wild beasties. Although, apart from the wolves and Harpies, occasionally you'll find a monster Chimera charging at you from the trees instead of a bear. And instead of killing wild boar and oxen for hides, the meat is actually useful for boosting health and stamina.The lack of fast-travel makes each trip out into a real journey - you have to take the right supplies, work out roughly where you'll be when it gets dark (it gets nasty at night) and take enough for the return journey too.

Anyone else playing this at the moment? I'm playing as a Strider, but the option to upgrade or change vocations is available at the Inn. Do the skills you learn as one class carry over if you upgrade, or do you lose the skills? Like, will my Mage still be able to heal if I change her to a Sorcerer? (Because like Dark Souls, there is only a single save available, so I don't want to waste anything).

As far as I can tell each class has its strengths and weaknesses, which is good imo as with Skyrim it was possible to have a character that could do pretty much everything - this at least makes certain skills available to specific classes.

The pawn system is an interesting addition too, as you're playing with companions made by other gamers rather than the developer, which gives them way more character. And you can change them over whenever you reach a rift stone. I currently have a huge warrior in my group called Ned - he has a big cloak and Direwolf fur on, and a huge greastsword. And yesterday I met a large monk called John Goodman.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 08 July 2012 - 08:31 AM

#20 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 18 July 2014 - 03:12 PM

Ha, I thought it had been a while. Only took two years for someone else to play it!

This post has been edited by Traveller: 18 July 2014 - 03:13 PM

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users