Malazan Empire: notice after re-read GotM: Fiddler appeared on Prologue - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

notice after re-read GotM: Fiddler appeared on Prologue the 2nd BB was Fiddler, right?

#1 User is offline   kokosdera 

• Seguleh 10000th
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:SF stories, wuxia stories, and recently Malazan stories.
  • Don't like chilli.

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:32 PM

The second BB, who came up to the commander, Was he Fiddler? Yes, I read the "this one with a broken scorched fiddle strapped to his back". I just realized this after re-read the book.

But then I confused. Before re-read it, I imagined Fiddler should be 35-40 years old when BB came to Darujhistan. But with the re-read< Fiddler should be around 25 y.o. That's a young age to say wisdom words like, "... when you take away everybody else's humanity, you take away your own." (Chapter 18, on page 500 from TOR paperback edition).

Am I the only one who missed Fiddler's appearance on the prologue? Now, I should re-read DG with new perspective, assuming Fiddler younger than my first read.
"It's that hurt we feel that makes us keep going, Sergeant. And maybe we're not going anywhere, but at least we're not running away from anything."
- Fiddler in GotM

#2 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:13 PM

Fiddler is described as young by both Kalam and QB numerous times throughout the series. He is the second soldier. However it is better to think of all the BB as around late thirties early forties. WJ in another instance is described as in his late forties. The timeline for Fiddler age makes him sound older than he should be but its an inconsistency.

#3 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:34 PM

View PostFriendly Neighbourhood Spider-tiam, on 27 March 2012 - 05:13 PM, said:

but its an inconsistency.

No it isn't! Since this is the GotM forum I won't list of every young/old description of Fiddler, but essentially he is pretty young in the GotM prologue - I believe from Ganoes PoV he is described as only a few years older than Ganoes himself (which means he could be anything from mid-teens to early 20s depending on Ganoes' age and how good a young Ganoes is at guessing others' ages). The rest of GotM is more than a decade later than the prologue, by which point Fiddler is certainly a fully grown man and has also been through more than a decade of brutal warfare - enough to make anyone look beaten enough to look pretty older than he really is.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#4 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:29 PM

I thought it was nine years later, but point taken. And the point about Ganoes being an unreliable kid POV is a good one, not just cuz he's a kid, but also because he wants to be in the army, so of course he wants to see things in his favor ie Fiddler's age. Plus, you know...(for those on a reread, not first-timers)
Spoiler

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#5 User is offline   Lugh 

• Recruit

Posted 08 April 2012 - 11:21 AM

Prologue is the 96th year of malaz, rest of book is 105th.

It wouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility for fiddler to have been 16 in the prologue. Even in the modern day, you can join the army at 17, and malaz roughly correlates with late medieval/early renaissance where child hood was markedly shorter than what were used to.

#6 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 08 April 2012 - 11:41 AM

Ganoes is 12, Fiddler is described as only a few years older in the prologue. So lets say hes 17 plus the nine years later, so hes 26. However in DG and TBH

Spoiler

Theres alot of inconsistencies in GOTM and some of them can be wriggled round

This post has been edited by Friendly Neighbourhood Spider-tiam: 08 April 2012 - 11:42 AM

#7 User is offline   Lugh 

• Recruit

Posted 08 April 2012 - 01:44 PM

DG is 1164BS/106ME so the first claim is still just about plausible if he enlisted at 15 or so if my sums are right. Still within the range of a rl equivalent.
I don't have a timescale for the second, been a while since I read TBH.

#8 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 08 April 2012 - 03:51 PM

i'm gonna reiterate:
Spoiler

There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#9 User is offline   rhulad 

• First Sword

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:13 PM

It should be mentioned that the timeline is not important, and the characters are all between the ages of 9 and 1,000,000.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users