The USA Politics Thread

#3381 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:WWQBD?
  • WoT Fangirl, Rank Traitor

Posted 24 August 2016 - 02:53 AM

View PostSecret Startaker, on 24 August 2016 - 12:37 AM, said:

If I did a poll I wouldn't find that some people thought the overarching goal was addressing income inequality?

That was obviously a big focus but the movement reflected, in its very essence, the futility of trying to address problems like income inequality through the system that we have. It was a deliberately anti-establishment, anti-politics movement from the beginning, and nearly every screed on the subject came down to the problem of government corruption. The protest manifested as a Wall St. protest in recognition of the fact that that was where the real power in our government resided.

That some thought the goal was prosecution of bankers responsible for the financial crisis?

Again, that goes back to government corruption. But this is the same failure to comprehend that got Bernie labeled as a 'single-issue' candidate. His voters understood that his Single Issue was overarching.

I bet you could find people IN occupy wall Street that would not agree that that was the overarching goal.

They might not offer it as the overarching goal unprompted, but few would actually disagree with the suggestion.

The President (2012) said:

Please proceed, Governor.

Chris Christie (2016) said:

There it is.

Elizabeth Warren (2020) said:

And no, I’m not talking about Donald Trump. I’m talking about Mayor Bloomberg.

#3382 User is online   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 24 August 2016 - 03:23 PM

View PostBriar King, on 24 August 2016 - 05:43 AM, said:

Ahhh decision 2016 just got that much more real.

This is where the real battle shall be fought...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#3383 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 24 August 2016 - 09:13 PM

Man, far be it from me to run to HRC's aid, but the AP really put out a hit piece on her yesterday that was so manipulative and sleazy that I'm glad it's being torn to shreds today.

http://washingtonmon...Ywjqh-h.twitter
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#3384 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 25 August 2016 - 02:42 AM

View PostBriar King, on 25 August 2016 - 02:30 AM, said:

Oh I'm just discovering these things! Instead of Her should I just do this☠ or this 📫? Ooohh or better yet 🖕🏻

BK those emojis (?) are so tiny I had to lean into my screen to see the skull and crossbones

#3385 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGs_qK2PQA

Posted 25 August 2016 - 04:48 AM

Does anyone see this and think this is disgusting:

http://www.rawstory....-bills-lawsuit/

1) This whole debt goes from this level to this level on a parabolic curve to a certain sector of the populace needs to stop. As a society we need to fix this blind greed that is placing a certain part of the society in these tight binds. If we can educate and figure out a way to help we will overall be a richer society that has less problems. In reviewing this and if you know this is occuring across the board..this ultimately lead's to crime in society. Setting people up the fail is not what America should ever represent. I read these articles too often.

2)I feel like the social issues have really not been focusing on this quite so much as of late. I could be wrong...I lurk.

Hey healthcare! It's weird how the last major election cycle *2008* this was a prime point of discussion here?? Right. I really feel that this just hasn't been talked about as much as of late.

It's weird how we as a society don't take care of each other and find the best solution at hand for all involved. I have a different solution that would drive down costs toward America , basically prosecuting corporate greed, which might be a pipedream. However, the country was founded off the people. We have a enough resources and power to take care of one another. We can do this. I think too with the sheer amount of discovery if someone was allowed to might come to market with some really exciting solutions.

On the above we need to definitely do better.
-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#3386 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 25 August 2016 - 06:18 AM

Imprisoning people for debt seems like such a barbaric practice.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#3387 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 25 August 2016 - 12:36 PM

Welcome to the future, where everything old is new again. But if you're a part of Big Business and could end up going bankrupt with billions of dollars in debt because of your greed and poor practices, don't worry! Your (paid for) mates in the Govt will bail you out with public money, let you pay out exec bonuses with it and not even prosecute you.

Poor people are debtors, rich people merely have temporary setbacks. It's the same logic as kill one person, you're a murderer and kill a million - you're a conqueror.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#3388 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 29 August 2016 - 08:48 PM

Man, I don't mean this as an excuse, cuz I think he's responsible for his actions, but there has to be something wrong with him on top of the baseline scuzziness. He just keeps doing it and is such a walking disaster.

#3389 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 30 August 2016 - 12:54 AM

Huh, one of the guys running Trump's campaign was the guy who got the Uki ex-pres Yanukovych elected. That's funny. And it's a "Russian connection" (Yanukovych was very pro-Russian. We ousted him and Russia commenced the hot stage of their "Hybrid war" against us) the yellow press loves to talk about so much.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#3390 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 02 September 2016 - 03:19 PM

Garrison Keillor always annoyed me on NPR (because I listened to it for classical and jazz, not news or Lake Woebegone or whatever), but he kills it here:

http://www.chicagotr...0831-story.html

There it is.

#3391 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 07 September 2016 - 01:03 PM

Apparently Mississippi and Texas have become swing states. Maddow (who I rarely watch these days) went kind of crazy over this last night but honestly, it's not that surprising. MS has the highest per capita black population in the country (around 40%); the margins have never been incredibly wide in MS, though the state has been safe for Republicans for decades because nearly everyone votes along racial lines, and whites are still the majority. But educated white Republicans are really balking at Trump, and those who led the Cochran charge (against challenger Chris McDaniel in the last MS senate election) are probably following the lead of Republicans like Laura Bush when it comes to Hillary vs Trump. It might not be enough to make Trump actually lose the state, but it's enough to make his margins dangerous.

There it is.

#3392 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 12 September 2016 - 08:04 AM

View PostHigh Geek of Crawfish, on 12 September 2016 - 05:53 AM, said:

Remarkable that Trump hasn't pounced on Her being sick and damn near falling down as her entourage surrounds her to keep it out of cameras. I suspect this is only out of respect for the day. We ll find out tomorrow. He coulda helped himself by publicly wishing her well.

Lol. You think Trump has respect for 9/11? Please. Also, you think he would wish Hillary Clinton well instead of hurling abuse at her for being "weak"? Yeah, right. Keep dreaming that dream, bro. :killingme:

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#3393 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 12 September 2016 - 11:12 AM

With regards to Trumps respect for 9/11

http://www.rawstory....ower-manhattan/
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#3394 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 13 September 2016 - 12:01 PM

Out of curiosity if Hillary were to die or become incapacitated does her VP nomination take over the campaign and run for president? I was wondering if this is the case, is this the best system. The VP nominations seem to not be the best and brightest, rather they seem to be chosen to sure up a Nominees weaknesses, perhaps in an important swing state. If Hillary can't run should whoever she beat out be allowed to run again?

#3395 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

• Shameless Minister of Silly Catwalks of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 13 September 2016 - 07:08 PM

View PostCause, on 13 September 2016 - 12:01 PM, said:

Out of curiosity if Hillary were to die or become incapacitated does her VP nomination take over the campaign and run for president? I was wondering if this is the case, is this the best system. The VP nominations seem to not be the best and brightest, rather they seem to be chosen to sure up a Nominees weaknesses, perhaps in an important swing state. If Hillary can't run should whoever she beat out be allowed to run again?

FOX news is now claiming that the DNC is meeting to discuss replacing her. I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO BELIEVE!!! :killingme:

Are there any news sites that are telling the truth?
"If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?" - Shylock

#3396 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 13 September 2016 - 07:09 PM

I first saw that claim from the Bernie underground. I tend to doubt it very much, though. I don't know if there's anyone telling the truth because I'm not really paying attention to the news beyond reading what comes up on Facebook.

There it is.

#3397 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

• Shameless Minister of Silly Catwalks of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 13 September 2016 - 07:14 PM

I thought I could get a somewhat hazy picture by reading FOX, CNN and BBC. Now I'm not so certain...
"If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?" - Shylock

#3398 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 13 September 2016 - 07:17 PM

Nobody's meeting to replace HRC. They couldn't even if they wanted to, but it's all nefarious "HRC is gravely ill" rumor-mongering from the desperate Trump campaign.

Anyway, here's a primer on how that kind of thing is handled: http://www.vox.com/2...minee-drops-out

Obviously if the candidate dies, that skips the first step.

#3399 User is offline   Una 

• Captain

Posted 13 September 2016 - 09:05 PM

The only thing I got out of HRC's pneumonia story is that she is the type of person who, when faced with a big project or a looming deadline, will try to power through even if she catches a bug. Most of the time, you get away with it. You put your game face on, load up with Tylenol, and hold it together just long enough to do whatever it is you need to do so you go home and crawl into bed. Other times, it comes back and bites you.

Perhaps I am in the minority here, but I find this eminently relatable. I have totally done this. Written major exams despite having a full-blown fever. Gone to work sick and gotten sent home only after puking in the sink twice. My office mate has a great story about writing her licensing exams with a rip-roaring migraine that was so bad that she could not see anything in her central field of vision, so she had to read and write using only her peripheral vision, never mind the pain.

So she's that type. I can't really say I'm surprised. You kind of have to be if you are going to get to as high a level as she is.

#3400 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 13 September 2016 - 09:09 PM

On the other hand, you can go the Trump route and decide not to do any hard work whatsoever.

Share this topic:

• 706 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users