• You cannot reply to this topic

The USA Politics Thread

#2001 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:WWQBD?
  • WoT Fangirl, Rank Traitor

Posted 21 September 2015 - 09:16 PM

Well, I really didn't expect Walker to be next.

http://www.washingto...ntial-campaign/

Since he and Jeb were supposed to be the top 2 establishment candidates, things just got a lot easier for both Jeb and Trump. Again, Trump's only chance is to get an actual majority of delegates; if he gets a plurality he'll lose in a brokered convention.

I still think Rubio is their best bet, though. I'll be amazed if they also come to that conclusion.

The President (2012) said:

Please proceed, Governor.

Chris Christie (2016) said:

There it is.

Elizabeth Warren (2020) said:

And no, I’m not talking about Donald Trump. I’m talking about Mayor Bloomberg.

#2002 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 21 September 2015 - 09:17 PM

i don't supposes theres a coles notes esque summary of the various repub front runners with index for how crazy they are

#2003 User is offline   Gnaw 

• Recovering eating disordered addict of HHM
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 21 September 2015 - 09:47 PM

View PostLinearPhilosopher, on 21 September 2015 - 09:17 PM, said:

i don't supposes theres a coles notes esque summary of the various repub front runners with index for how crazy they are

It's fairly simple. Kasich and Fiorina are sane.

The rest want to dial back to a previous century. Most want to go back to at least before Marbury v Madison.
"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor Frankl

#2004 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 21 September 2015 - 10:30 PM

View PostGnaw, on 21 September 2015 - 09:47 PM, said:

View PostLinearPhilosopher, on 21 September 2015 - 09:17 PM, said:

It's fairly simple. Kasich and Fiorina are sane.

The rest want to dial back to a previous century. Most want to go back to at least before Marbury v Madison.

im canadian and my brain is currently occupied with trying to cram corporate governance and strategy. you're gona have to break that one down.

#2005 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 21 September 2015 - 10:30 PM

View PostTerez, on 21 September 2015 - 09:16 PM, said:

Well, I really didn't expect Walker to be next.

http://www.washingto...ntial-campaign/

Since he and Jeb were supposed to be the top 2 establishment candidates, things just got a lot easier for both Jeb and Trump. Again, Trump's only chance is to get an actual majority of delegates; if he gets a plurality he'll lose in a brokered convention.

I still think Rubio is their best bet, though. I'll be amazed if they also come to that conclusion.

Well, 'top' rankings are always a bit of a mugs game, especially when the party has been out of the executive for nearly 7 years. Bush has family and name recognition (good and bad) and was a governor of an important state for some time. The other people cited as top establishment picks (Rubio, Walker, etc) got that status mainly by being darlings of right wing voters for high profile stories (like Walker fighting unions). But they also had limited national exposure.

As people get to know you better that perception can change. It looks like the early states were not warming to him and his debate performances did not stand out. Leaving now is better than staying in and finishing worse than 3rd in the first couple states. As it is, he is a potentially .credible choice for a VP nomination
Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#2006 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 25 September 2015 - 02:59 PM

John Boehner is stepping down from Congress and his position of Speaker of the House. This is big news. There have been many threats from the extreme right wing to replace him as Speaker because he is fairly moderate and has never favored the tactic of threatening to shut down the government in order to advance extreme right wing policies. The issue of the moment is the drive to defund Planned Parenthood.

Boehner is a Catholic, so the news comes at an interesting time, the day after the Pope addressed Congress.

It also comes just over a year after the majority leader, Eric Cantor, lost his seat in a primary challenge from the right in his district in Virginia. (In other words, he lost to another Republican, who then went on to win the general election against the Democrat.)

Both of these events herald an extreme right turn in the Republican Party. Ordinarily this would mean that the GOP would lose votes as moderates defect to the Democrats. That will happen, but the House of Representatives is gerrymandered such that the Republicans will almost certainly continue to control it in the near future. Which means we'll have more precipitous action from the House. Fortunately it's highly unlikely that Republicans will gain a filibuster-proof majority in the Senate, and it's quite possible that Democrats will regain control of the Senate in 2016.

There it is.

#2007 User is online   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 25 September 2015 - 04:14 PM

View PostTerez, on 25 September 2015 - 02:59 PM, said:

John Boehner is stepping down from Congress and his position of Speaker of the House. This is big news. There have been many threats from the extreme right wing to replace him as Speaker because he is fairly moderate and has never favored the tactic of threatening to shut down the government in order to advance extreme right wing policies. The issue of the moment is the drive to defund Planned Parenthood.

Boehner is a Catholic, so the news comes at an interesting time, the day after the Pope addressed Congress.

It also comes just over a year after the majority leader, Eric Cantor, lost his seat in a primary challenge from the right in his district in Virginia. (In other words, he lost to another Republican, who then went on to win the general election against the Democrat.)

Both of these events herald an extreme right turn in the Republican Party. Ordinarily this would mean that the GOP would lose votes as moderates defect to the Democrats. That will happen, but the House of Representatives is gerrymandered such that the Republicans will almost certainly continue to control it in the near future. Which means we'll have more precipitous action from the House. Fortunately it's highly unlikely that Republicans will gain a filibuster-proof majority in the Senate, and it's quite possible that Democrats will regain control of the Senate in 2016.

That doesn't exactly fill me with confidence when you consider what's going on with Russia, China, Iran etc at the moment. The last thing the world needs is a hard core Tea Party type dipshit in charge in the White House, and/or TP majority in your Senate or Congress. :p
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#2008 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 25 September 2015 - 04:32 PM

The chances that the GOP will get the White House are small. The chances that an ultra-conservative nominee will win are even smaller. I still think that Rubio is their only chance of winning, but even Rubio's chances are slim because they can win Ohio and Florida and still lose.

There it is.

#2009 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 25 September 2015 - 09:16 PM

Well stated Terez.

I'm terrified that Boehner's actual moderation will give way to some absolute nut-job as Speaker.

Oompa Loompa man might well have been the person standing in the way of a serious long term government shutdown.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#2010 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 26 September 2015 - 03:28 AM

View PostHoosierDaddy, on 25 September 2015 - 09:16 PM, said:

Well stated Terez.

I'm terrified that Boehner's actual moderation will give way to some absolute nut-job as Speaker.

My local (MS) news station fielded Louie Gohmert as a possibility.

There it is.

#2011 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 26 September 2015 - 04:21 AM

Then I guess I'm right there with HD on the whole terrified thing.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#2012 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 26 September 2015 - 05:18 AM

In all likelihood it will be Kevin McCarthy and he'll follow the same path as Böhner. Precipitous action with last-minute deals to avoid catastrophe. But we'll see. The base doesn't want McCarthy, but they never wanted Boehner either, and they were always outnumbered by the half-sane Republicans.

There it is.

#2013 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 01 October 2015 - 10:17 PM

Alabama has provided a master lesson on the ramifications of gutting the Voting Rights Act: http://talkingpoints...censes-voter-id

What happens when a state with a tough voter ID law suddenly makes it
much harder for minorities to get driver's licenses? We are about to
find out in Alabama.

Facing a budget crisis, Alabama has shuttered 31 driver's license
offices, many of them in counties with a high proportion of black
residents. Coming after the state recently put into effect a tougher
voter ID law, the closures will cut off access -- particularly for
minorities -- to one of the few types of IDs accepted.

According to a tally by AL.com columnist John Archibald,
eight of the 10 Alabama counties with the highest percentage of
non-white registered voters saw their driver's license offices closed.

"Every single county in which blacks make up more than 75 percent of
registered voters will see their driver license office closed.
Every
one," Archibald wrote.

#2014 User is offline   Gnaw 

• Recovering eating disordered addict of HHM
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 01 October 2015 - 10:38 PM

Convenient budget crisis, no? :p
"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor Frankl

#2015 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 01 October 2015 - 10:41 PM

Seems Kevin McCarthy is getting some blowback for selling the Benghazi invesgations political upside.

Way to break the first two rules of fight club, Kev.
Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#2016 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • Group: Administrators
  • very good...;)

Posted 02 October 2015 - 02:47 AM

View Postworry, on 01 October 2015 - 10:17 PM, said:

Alabama has provided a master lesson on the ramifications of gutting the Voting Rights Act: http://talkingpoints...censes-voter-id

find out in Alabama.

Every
one," Archibald wrote.

Thank goodness we don't need the voting act anymore because there is no racism!
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#2017 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 02 October 2015 - 09:14 AM

This isn't all you needed to know about Scott Walker but it's a good start and a useful reminder about why it's good he's dropped out

Posted Image
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#2018 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 02 October 2015 - 09:20 AM

It's basically why I opined a while back that he didn't have much chance of winning. I didn't expect him to make it far in the primary process, but I honestly expected him to make it to the primary process. I suppose he wanted to avoid tarnishing what legacy he has a.k.a. Rick Perry in 2012. (Amazing, actually, that Perry tried again.)

There it is.

#2019 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 02 October 2015 - 09:37 AM

View PostVengeance, on 02 October 2015 - 02:47 AM, said:

View Postworry, on 01 October 2015 - 10:17 PM, said:

find out in Alabama.

Every
one," Archibald wrote.

Thank goodness we don't need the voting act anymore because there is no racism!

To be perfectly honest, I agree with the court's reasoning on ruling the pre-clearance formula unconstitutional, though I can see why the liberal justices didn't want to make that ruling—they knew they couldn't count on Congress to rewrite it in anything resembling a timely fashion. But the pre-clearance formula in Section 5 was outdated. Pre-clearance itself is not unconstitutional, but basing it on decades-old criteria is questionable at best. There are plenty of states today that were not part of the old Confederacy but use this sort of voter suppression tactic in minority-heavy precincts and districts, like Ohio. The state Republicans did their damndest in 2012 to suppress minority votes in hopes of winning Ohio in the electoral college.

SCOTUS did not take away the Justice Department's power to subject jurisdictions to pre-clearance, by the way. We still have Section 3. Of course, Holder was looking at retiring around this time, and it took forever for Loretta Lynch to be confirmed, but I assume that Justice has a long-term strategy in mind to "bail in" offending jurisdictions. This would not go against the SCOTUS ruling because the criteria for "bailing in" jurisdictions is inherently up-to-date. And I assume it's no coincidence that Obama has only nominated black people for this position in particular (not that he wouldn't trust certain white people with the job, but because he wanted the justice reform mission to be personal).

HD, back me up here.

There it is.

#2020 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 02 October 2015 - 10:21 AM

It's true, any formula that didn't include 100% of jurisdictions where white racism has the potential to influence politics should have been considered outdated circa 1776, and congress-members whose regions were not subject to pre-clearance have been getting away with not looking in the mirror since '65. However the reasoning was not "white racism has to be checked everywhere it affects voting policy", it was "we have to assume the map of which white people are trustworthy and which aren't must have changed since '65, and in fact the troubling regions have surely shrunk." But it's the same map it's always been, as marked in yellow below:

Posted Image

This post has been edited by worry: 02 October 2015 - 10:22 AM

Share this topic:

• 706 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Google