• You cannot reply to this topic

The USA Politics Thread

#1821 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGs_qK2PQA

Posted 16 July 2015 - 05:42 AM

View PostVengeance, on 14 July 2015 - 01:00 PM, said:

The confederate flag represents traitors to America. They were defeated at great cost. But they were traitors to the country that they had originally pledged their allegiance. If America had lost the Revolution war do you think that the english government would have allowed for the star and stripes to be flown anywhere. Hell no. No other government allows for flags of traitors to be flown on federal land or in government buildings. China doesn't allow the Tibetan flag to be flown anywhere in Tibet. They lost the war. China won. The rebals of the confederacy lost. In this country we have a strong personal rights. So people can fly the flag of traitors from their porches and pickup trucks. But any government institution be it state or Federal should be looking at Treason Charges. It is honestly that simple.

I disagree. The flag was flown by rebels. Our country was founded on a rebellion, that is one reason it's allowed to keep flying.

I don't think everyone in the world likes America's flag at the end of the day. If I went over to other countries and started to walk around with U.S. Flag Symbols..people might give me dirty looks and say something, other places it would be worse. However, the reason we can fly these flags is the freedom that our country enjoys. Little detail's start messing with the freedom we enjoy..if anything we need to keep fighting for these freedom's across the board. Freedom is what is important..rule's just clutter and mess it all up. So when the next person asks why in country we have all these benefits to act, say , speak , behave...that was intended.

And you can rightly argue that the American flag comes down to one thing as well: expansion without remorse.

I love this.

@ Stud. The cultural victories come through slowing down and letting everyone do there thing. Understanding comes after that, someday. We have a long way to go as we are still trying to tell/yell our own belief structure towards each other. OR we might just you know conquer everyone through our very expressed version of freedom.
-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#1822 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGs_qK2PQA

Posted 16 July 2015 - 05:49 AM

View PostEmperorMagus, on 16 July 2015 - 02:16 AM, said:

View PostTerez, on 15 July 2015 - 11:52 PM, said:

View PostBriar King, on 15 July 2015 - 08:53 PM, said:

Are you happy Magnus?

I imagine he feels the same way he did when the deal was first tentatively agreed upon. Maybe not, though.

Yep. Nothing will change I think. A direct flight from Tehran to Canada would be nice though.

Nothing will change. I kind of wonder if the grand scheme of things, that this allows the core government to remain in even more power. From my very simple belief structure..I have always believed we were trying to let the younger crowd gain more power, I think we just did the opposite.

Though American meddling has never really helped this part of the world.

Though, if you ever sat back and really looked at how anyone encounters problems on a global scale..holy daunting. We as a species are nuts!
-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#1823 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • Group: Administrators
  • very good...;)

Posted 17 July 2015 - 01:59 PM

View PostNicodimas, on 16 July 2015 - 05:42 AM, said:

View PostVengeance, on 14 July 2015 - 01:00 PM, said:

The confederate flag represents traitors to America. They were defeated at great cost. But they were traitors to the country that they had originally pledged their allegiance. If America had lost the Revolution war do you think that the english government would have allowed for the star and stripes to be flown anywhere. Hell no. No other government allows for flags of traitors to be flown on federal land or in government buildings. China doesn't allow the Tibetan flag to be flown anywhere in Tibet. They lost the war. China won. The rebals of the confederacy lost. In this country we have a strong personal rights. So people can fly the flag of traitors from their porches and pickup trucks. But any government institution be it state or Federal should be looking at Treason Charges. It is honestly that simple.

I disagree. The flag was flown by rebels. Our country was founded on a rebellion, that is one reason it's allowed to keep flying.

I don't think everyone in the world likes America's flag at the end of the day. If I went over to other countries and started to walk around with U.S. Flag Symbols..people might give me dirty looks and say something, other places it would be worse. However, the reason we can fly these flags is the freedom that our country enjoys. Little detail's start messing with the freedom we enjoy..if anything we need to keep fighting for these freedom's across the board. Freedom is what is important..rule's just clutter and mess it all up. So when the next person asks why in country we have all these benefits to act, say , speak , behave...that was intended.

And you can rightly argue that the American flag comes down to one thing as well: expansion without remorse.

I love this.

@ Stud. The cultural victories come through slowing down and letting everyone do there thing. Understanding comes after that, someday. We have a long way to go as we are still trying to tell/yell our own belief structure towards each other. OR we might just you know conquer everyone through our very expressed version of freedom.

I agree that idiviuals can fly the confederate flag. What there should be no question about is that it was a flag of rebellion against the United states. A rebellion that lost. Thus it is the flag of traitors and should not be flown in any kind of state (be it federal or state) sponsored/controled area...i.e Federal lands/state parks/state buildings and what not.
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#1824 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:WWQBD?
  • WoT Fangirl, Rank Traitor

Posted 19 July 2015 - 12:14 AM

View PostBriar King, on 18 July 2015 - 11:56 PM, said:

I been staying away from the flag convo but I'm the opposite end there.

That is because you are a white southerner.

View PostBriar King, on 18 July 2015 - 11:56 PM, said:

They should fly on state buildings in every Confederate state that was in it. It's history and it reminds us that we have changed and grown.

It does no such thing. It reminds us how much we are still the same, especially when white people defend it as "our heritage", ignoring the fact that it has been used to terrorize black people since the War ended - black people who make up as much as 40% of our populations. It's not "our heritage". It's a heritage of white supremacy.

The President (2012) said:

Please proceed, Governor.

Chris Christie (2016) said:

There it is.

Elizabeth Warren (2020) said:

And no, I’m not talking about Donald Trump. I’m talking about Mayor Bloomberg.

#1825 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 19 July 2015 - 12:37 AM

Yes, historical flags belong in museums, not on official government poles, especially when they are symbols of white supremacy.

There it is.

#1826 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 19 July 2015 - 03:56 AM

The point I think is to parse the phrase "our history"/ In the context of the America SOuth what could Our mean?

It could mean a person who is proud of the Civil War and the Confederacy and wants to remember that through the flag - a symbol of a heroic struggle for freedom maybe

It could mean a person who is horrified at the history of slavery and racisma nd sees the flag as a symbil of perpetuation of that shame.

It could mean a person who doesn't really know that much about the Civil War but sees the flag as a symbol of the South.

It could mean a person who sees it as the banner of slavery and racist domination, a domination that rings true everytime another black person loses his life unjustly.

So, Our History can mean many things, often polarizingly different things. In the wake of the Charleston shootings, a blatant example of the racism that is already there I think the consensus that this symbol should not fly form government buildings is very appropriate. Public buildings are the space of the public. Such a divisive symbol has no place there. Private people should have the right to dispay as by doing so they are advertising nothing but their own personal beliefs for all to see.

If the point of flying it is a sort of remembrance a warning of what went before, it is unnecssary. Better to write and teach first class history books which accurately depict and analyze the horrors of slavery.

#1827 User is offline   Studlock 

• First Sword

Posted 19 July 2015 - 04:11 AM

I think in the specific history of South Carolina, even without factoring in recent act of terrorism, it would still be appealing to the history of racism and white supremacy. The flag in the capitol was originally raised in 1962 in a response to and resistance against the Civil Rights movement--it was clearly appealing to the symbolic value it has as the flag of the Confederation and its ideals. It was never meant as a tool to remember history, it was meant as a tool of state control through terrorizing a part its populace because they demanded rights that should have been afforded them for being human beings.

#1828 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 20 July 2015 - 06:44 AM

So I'll admit I'm a bit out of the loop with the US election stuff at the moment, but did I just see on the news that Trump's campaign is "in jeopardy" not because of the blatant racism and lack of credibility, but because he made a derogatory comment about McCain's military service and by way of foot in mouth also every POW?

I mean, that's pretty bad by itself, but I don't think it compares to racism. USA... What the hell? Or is this just a case of media/international media perspective being disconnected from reality?

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#1829 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 20 July 2015 - 06:48 AM

Remember that Trump is campaigning for the Republican nomination, and primaries are low-turnout affairs determined by the hardcore base of the party. That's the only reason he's doing well in the polls, and part of the reason he's showing well is because there are so many candidates splitting up the vote. He's only pulling about 20% of likely GOP primary voters.

And yes, the GOP base generally cares a lot more about military service than social justice issues. He was popular because of his comments on race, not despite them. If he somehow does manage to capture the nomination he has no chance of winning unless the Democratic candidate gets mired in a really crazy scandal.

There it is.

#1830 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 20 July 2015 - 06:59 AM

My concern is that this still works. Much as I know American politics are absurdly right-wing and that the Republicans are functionally closer to Nazism than most might care to admit, how is it that Donald Trump can have 20% of the polls for that party despite the racism, but lose it over military service? It's Donald fucking Trump and he's getting slammed for his opinion on something that is largely irrelevant to politics. Fuck me.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#1831 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 20 July 2015 - 03:14 PM

Because the polls are done with people who will answer phone calls and in-person questionnaires.

This is a self-selecting population that skews old, wacko, and hateful. The biggest slice of poll-answerers are for Trump.

The people who give money (the people who matter more in the actual primaries and general elections) are overwhelmingly going for Jeb Bush and Hilary Clinton. Ted Cruz and Marco Rubio are the next best fundraisers, but it's a very big step down from Bush/Clinton to Rubio/Cruz.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#1832 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 20 July 2015 - 10:33 PM

View PostSilencer, on 20 July 2015 - 06:59 AM, said:

My concern is that this still works. Much as I know American politics are absurdly right-wing and that the Republicans are functionally closer to Nazism than most might care to admit, how is it that Donald Trump can have 20% of the polls for that party despite the racism, but lose it over military service? It's Donald fucking Trump and he's getting slammed for his opinion on something that is largely irrelevant to politics. Fuck me.

McCain was the face of the Republican party for at least years, and he was initially elected as a "war hero." Trump threw a superbly stupid suckerpunch at someone not even in the race. The other candidates couldn't outright (other than Jeb Bush) call him the racist, fucktard, bigot that he is for his comments on Mexico without painting themselves as soft on immigration, which is a no-no in the hard right. However, let slip something like this out and they'll pounce. It's why he'll be done after the first couple of debates. He'll be made to say the whacko shit that he believes and the other candidates will get narrowed down to where the real candidates can pummel him.

This post has been edited by HoosierDaddy: 20 July 2015 - 10:34 PM

Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#1833 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 20 July 2015 - 10:48 PM

Rick Perry('s communications staff) in particular is flinging pretty sharp barbs at him. What this says to me is that the early debates will be watchable as long as Trump and Perry are both there.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#1834 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 21 July 2015 - 02:13 AM

View PostSilencer, on 20 July 2015 - 06:44 AM, said:

So I'll admit I'm a bit out of the loop with the US election stuff at the moment, but did I just see on the news that Trump's campaign is "in jeopardy" not because of the blatant racism and lack of credibility, but because he made a derogatory comment about McCain's military service and by way of foot in mouth also every POW?

I mean, that's pretty bad by itself, but I don't think it compares to racism. USA... What the hell? Or is this just a case of media/international media perspective being disconnected from reality?

Because Trump is currently playing to the furthest right/up of the american voting base, the regressive/authoritarians that actually answer their land lines in the middle of the day, take surveys, and turn out to early GOP polls.

Racism plays well to them. Anti-military does not. McCain is viewed as a war hero because he served and was captured and some other stuff happened, but the crowd that turns out for these polls are very much lovers of the military.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#1835 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 21 July 2015 - 07:55 AM

New poll has Trump pulling his most impressive lead yet. Doesn't reflect any movement since his comments on McCain yet though. Trump 24, Walker 13, Jeb 12.

http://abcnews.go.co...ory?id=32576808

There it is.

#1836 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 21 July 2015 - 09:18 AM

Hmmm ... interesting ...

http://www.bbc.com/n...canada-33469464

"Feel the Bern". Heh. ;)
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#1837 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • very good...;)

Posted 22 July 2015 - 12:42 PM

View PostBriar King, on 21 July 2015 - 08:48 PM, said:

Haha he gave out Graham's cell number on air.

Yeah that was a pretty awesome move!
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#1838 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 24 July 2015 - 01:40 AM

View PostVengeance, on 22 July 2015 - 12:42 PM, said:

View PostBriar King, on 21 July 2015 - 08:48 PM, said:

Haha he gave out Graham's cell number on air.

Yeah that was a pretty awesome move!

Depends on your definition of awesome.

It's kind of sad to see the stunts they have to get up to in order to make the first Fox debate. Like Graham smashing phones. He should just come out of the closet; it would be better for his chances.

There it is.

#1839 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 27 July 2015 - 04:43 AM

I hope this ends Mike Huckabee's career. His faux-Mayberry routine hides a totally ruthless scumbag on par with Palin/Limbaugh/Coulter/D'souza.
https://twitter.com/...398323629797376
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#1840 User is offline   Gust Hubb 

• Necromancer Extraordinaire
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Glass slides with entrapped bits of colored tissue
  • Around, just quiet....er

Posted 28 July 2015 - 12:58 PM

http://www.bbc.com/n...canada-33660969

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If Donald Trump's presidential bid is dead, no one bothered to tell Mr Trump - or his supporters.

Just a week ago, following the New York billionaire's mocking comments about 2008 Republican nominee John McCain's Vietnam POW experience, pundits and prognosticators were busy etching his political epitaph.

"The circus is almost over," Republican strategist Rick Wilson said in Politico. "My advice to Trump fans? Don't be the last clown out of the tent."

The previous Republican nominee Mitt Romney blasted Mr Trump, as did current candidates Jeb Bush, Scott Walker and Lindsey Graham.

All that was left was to wait for the latest poll results to come in and see exactly how precipitous Mr Trump's fall would be.

Naysayers are going to have to wait a bit longer, it seems. A CNN/ORD national survey conducted entirely after the McCain dust-up, for instance, puts Mr Trump ahead with the support of 18% of Republicans, Mr Bush at 15% and Mr Walker at 10%.

So, how to explain Mr Trump's enduring appeal? Here are five possible factors at play...."
"You don't clean u other peoples messes.... You roll in them like a dog on leftover smoked whitefish torn out f the trash by raccoons after Sunday brunch on a hot day."
~Abyss

Share this topic:

• 706 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

7 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users