• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What are you eating?

#141 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 25 September 2012 - 12:54 PM

Oh and while I can't be bothered writing the whole recipe out, if you ever want to tea smoke something it turns out to be really easy. I reckon this recipe would work for tuna steaks and salmon fillets and you can use all sorts of tea - I've had green tea smoked salmon in a restaurant somewhere. This recipe called for Lapsang Souchong which is very smokey to start with and I can't imagine it would taste as good with a milder tea leaf. To make 8 smoked scallops I did this:

Coat the bottom of a shallow pan in tin foil and pour in 20g Lapsang Souchong tea leaves, 50g sugar (my recipe said demerara but I had soft light brown in the cupboard so used that) and 50g long grain rice. Rub the scallops in olive oil, salt and pepper and then thread onto skewers. Hang the skewers over the pan and put on a medium heat at first to get it smoking then turn down low for 15-20mins. My recipe didn't say if I should cover them or not but the fumes meant I needed the window open and extractor fan on full blast which blew the smoke away so I crafted a pointy hat out of greaseproof paper for the smoking pan and that seemed to cook them a bit quicker. The scallops were a kind of light brown colour on the outside by the time they were ready. The tea/sugar/rice mix ends up as this black solid mass in the bottom of the pan (hence the foil to save the pan). The sugar adds fuel to keep the tea burning at the low temperature and I think the dry rice just adds some bulk to weigh it all down and stop it turning into caramel. If you have fish that isn't amenable to being skewered, I'd put it on a wire rack over the fumes.

Whatever you have, I'd serve it with risotto (or salad as a starter) - my crab one was gorgeous but you could do lemon and thyme risotto without the crab and it would still be amazing (just a normal risotto recipe with the juice and zest from 1/4 of a lemon per person added just before you start adding the stock and then a little bit of fresh chopped thyme leaves added with seasoning (and white crab meat if you want) just before you dish up).

Your house will stink of burnt tea for some time afterwards...........

This post has been edited by Mezla PigDog: 25 September 2012 - 12:56 PM

Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#142 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 26 December 2012 - 03:13 PM

Engardiner Nut Tart (oooh, the wordplay options around that!)

Basically:

* make your average pie dough (250g of butter, a bit of vanilla, 200g of sugar, pinch of salt, 350g of flour, some lemon peel).
* crunch a LOT of nuts into tiny bits (originally walnuts and hazel nuts, I used pecan today).
* get some caramel going from half a kilo of sugar

* once the pie dough is ready, put it in a buttered up shape (26 cm diameter is good)
* once your caramel is properly caramalizing and light brown, add half a liter of warm cream to it (you can microwave it, I prefer heating in a pan and stirring)
* get it ro a rolling boil
* add 2 table spoons of honey for MOAR SUGAR!
* mix in the nuts, stir
* take off the heat, stir some more.
* let it cool down a little bit, but not enough to set
* pour nutty mix into tart shape (I am sure this can be called culinary teabagging)
* put the whole in a pre-heated oven as you use for your average pie thingie (I don't do temperatures as ehm, my oven pane has been cleaned so thoroughly that the lettering is invisible, and I'm too lazy to calibrate it again)
* leave it there for an hour or so
* take it out, and make it cool down until perfectly cold.

Whip cream, slice tart, and enjoy the calories.

This post has been edited by Tapper: 26 December 2012 - 03:14 PM

Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#143 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:17 PM

Anyone cook anything special for Christmas dinner? We had loin of venison with haggis in a venison jus, pears poached in mulled wine, caramelized walnuts, fondant potato, Swede and cabbage. Mr PigDog made chicken liver pate for starter. An offally good lunch.

Chinese banquet tonight - I'm having my first attempt at Sichuan style cooking. Dumpling and pork bonanza here we come (or a kitchen disaster....).
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#144 User is offline   Tapper 

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:24 PM

I made a gigantic collared beef in a wine sauce, with glaced carrots and some mash for myself yesterday (the gf is not in the country, so I was Home Alone and could forget about being mostly vegetarian as I when she's by my side).
Seriously through, carrots and mash were a side-show, it was all about the beef and the sauce.
Have about half of it left and I'll be eating slices of awesomely seasoned beef on sandwiches for the next two days at the least.
The aforementioned pie was today's special treat - as I was on dessert duty only as my sis provided starters + main).

#145 User is offline   Ukjent 

• First Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:23 AM

Not nearly as good as the ones above, but I just got home from partying with some friends and are now eating a pack of "stjernemix" (candy) with water.. It's 03.23AM local time, good night.

#146 User is offline   Dag 

• Burninating poodles since 1996

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:48 PM

Ma and I decided to do something different this year. We're both sick and tired of the usual Christmas turkey, but the other half of the family cannot live without it, so we went for a compromise... which turned out quite tasty. :(

(The photos were taken on the phone, so they don't really do our glorious creation justice... but I guess you get the picture... :p )

Attached File  IMG_20121225_123133.jpg (36.25K)
Number of downloads: 0 Attached File  IMG_20121225_123230.jpg (32.64K)
Number of downloads: 0 Attached File  IMG_20121225_123359.jpg (37.92K)
Number of downloads: 0

Attached File  IMG_20121225_123625.jpg (35.64K)
Number of downloads: 0 Attached File  IMG_20121225_143003.jpg (42.09K)

Attached File  IMG_20121225_143529.jpg (39.37K)
The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues.

#147 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

• Shameless Minister of Silly Catwalks of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:12 PM

If I wasn't already there, I would have crossed over to The Dark Sidhe with the creation of this sandwich. Seriously, I think you could go to hell for this one..
What is it you ask? Any pictures? Alas. I ate it too quickly to snap a photo, and I giggled maniacally the whole time.
Call it...a tuna melt?
No... far too mundane. It is... The Uber Melt

Now you may wonder. Why is this melt so awesome? Isn't it just a tuna sandwich? But picture this....

2 slices of fresh white bread. One side shmeared with dijon mustard, whilst the other is slathered in mayonnaise, and nestled inside tuna salad with the loveliest, vine ripened tomatoes.

But you are seeing no meltiness? BEHOLD the GENIUS of this masterpiece.... APPLEWOOD SMOKED GOUDA!

Then this whole thing was lovingly fried in butter till it reached a nice golden brown perfection.

I felt my arteries hardening as I ate it, but it was SO GOOD! Smoky... gooey... cheesey... EVIL.

I would highly recommend adding bacon. Alas, I cannot eat the pig, but I felt that for just a moment I transcended and could TASTE it.
"If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?" - Shylock

#148 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:18 AM

Pan fried pork chop with salt and pepper, and I melted Feta on top of it, then had iceberg lettuce and grape tomatoes and bleu cheese as a side salad.

Top it off with a glass of wine and you are good to go.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#149 User is offline   Tapper 

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:43 AM

Pumpkin/feta pizza and sweet red onion pizza, my adaptation of Paul McCartney's Meatfree monday cookbook (mostly in how I make the dough, as well as some variation in the red onion pizza):

make your dough (300g of filtered flour (I use flour made from several types of grain, usually. For filtering, just pour it through a sieve), some instant yeast (I'd go for two teaspoons), two table spoons of olive oil, Italian herbs (if you ever want to make them yourself, go for a mix of oregano, thyme, basil, parsley (get the flat leaf), sage, bay leaf and black pepper and grind it until super fine), a generous pinch of salt, knead for some time, let it rest for an hour in a warm place covered by a cloth).

Drink beer (for you beer lovers, try La Trappe Puur (Pure) - it is an organic Belgian pilsner, unfiltered and supernice and I think it goes really well with tv dinner stuff, which pizza is).

Slice a clove of garlic into very thin strips. Add with oil and fresh rosemary (plus salt and pepper) to a carved pumpkin. I'd always advise to roast more garlic in the skin alongside the pumpkin as the pulpy sweet gooey goodness is awesome. Eat it while you cook, or add it to your dish. It doesn't matter, really. Roast the pumpkin in the oven for 20 minutes at 180 degrees (Celsius), cut in slices/dice.

Drink some more beer.

Fry three red onions (cut into parts, about 8 per onion) until light brown (recipe says golden, I say that's too much). Then add a glass of water (2 dl), two table spoons of coarse sugar, some balsamic vinegar. Let it cook and reduce until the liquid is almost evaporated and you have a sticky, sweet sauce. The onions should be nice and red throughout and falling apart from their slices into individual leaves.

Eat some onions to try, think "why wait for the damned pizza?!" and eat another piece of onion. Do not forget to spoon up the liquid. It should be like syrup and taste like that.

Spread the dough into two pizza bottoms. Slather some pesto over the dough, then top one with the pumpkin, the other with the onions.
To the pumpkin one, add crumbled feta or any flavourful goat cheese that basically doesn't melt but gets a bit more grainy and crunchy - you want texture to contrast the soft pumpkin here, as well as some salty taste.
To the onion one, drizzle the remaining fluid over the pizza. Add some good ripe brie or camembert (the recipe says mozarella, but that adds very little taste - so add some really flavourful cheese in addition).

Shove the pizza's into the oven for 10-15 minutes at 200 degrees. Keep watch and add time if need be, while finishing your beer. Enjoy.

#150 User is offline   ForkassalOfTheInnerCircle 

• Accountant of the Inner Circle
  • Interests:Universal domination
    Calm
    Sticks

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:13 PM

I just devoured a carrot. It was pretty good, as far as carrots go, crisp and all, but it couldn't escape from the fact that it was only a lowly carrot. For dinner, I'm thinking grilled chicken and rice.

Edit: Yep, grilled chicken and rice.

This post has been edited by Forkassal: 29 January 2013 - 06:03 PM

Money rules the world. I rule the money.

#151 User is offline   Adjutant Stormy~ 

• Captain, Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:55 PM

Roast beef and absurdly spicy salsa on ciabatta.
<!--quoteo(post=462161:date=Nov 1 2008, 06:13 PM:name=Aptorian)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Aptorian @ Nov 1 2008, 06:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=462161"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God damn. Mighty drunk. Must ... what is the english movement movement movement for drunk... with out you seemimg drunk?

bla bla bla

Peopleare harrasing me... grrrrrh.

Also people with big noses aren't jews, they're just french

EDIT: We has editted so mucj that5 we're not quite sure... also, leave britney alone.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#152 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:34 PM

Big fat Ribeye steak with a nice Cabernet-Shiraz to go with.

God that's good.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#153 User is offline   Assail 

• Destriant of the Abyssmal Army

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:50 PM

Has anyone said boogers yet? Thought I'd throw that out there....

But in all seriousness... Japanese Spinach with tomato, red peppers, zucchini, grilled chicken with a homemade Tuscan dressing...

Didn't think to post pics. Oh well :veryangry:
I still heart Goodkind.

#154 User is offline   Centzon Totochtin 

• For Pony!
  • Interests:Stuff, and sometimes also things.
  • Bunnies!

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:39 AM

Marinated garlic, rosemary and red wine roast beef, with red wine gravy, roast veges and greens.... so tasty :p It is the first time I have done roast beef to perfection... very happy!
That Elephant is looking rather frayed at the edges

#155 User is offline   Baco Xtath 

• Wait. What?
  • Interests:Reading, writing, building, fly fishing, anime, MMA, and being a father.

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:12 PM

Got some Chic-Fil-A tenders, diced them up, cooked some bacon, mixed it all up with some Mexican cheese, slapped it all on a buttered flour tortilla, folded it and made a quesadilla and dipped it in fucking ranch dressing.
"Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life." - Terry Pratchett, Jingo"Just erotic. Nothing kinky. It's the difference between using a feather and using a chicken." - Terry Pratchett, Eric
"Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of a lack of wisdom." - Terry Pratchett

#156 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:31 PM

i really need some good tacos.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#157 User is offline   Adjutant Stormy~ 

• Captain, Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:41 PM

View PostAbyss, on 08 February 2013 - 05:31 PM, said:

i really need some good tacos.

Posted Image
<!--quoteo(post=462161:date=Nov 1 2008, 06:13 PM:name=Aptorian)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Aptorian @ Nov 1 2008, 06:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=462161"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God damn. Mighty drunk. Must ... what is the english movement movement movement for drunk... with out you seemimg drunk?

bla bla bla

Peopleare harrasing me... grrrrrh.

Also people with big noses aren't jews, they're just french

EDIT: We has editted so mucj that5 we're not quite sure... also, leave britney alone.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#158 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • Group: Administrators
  • very good...;)

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:41 PM

4 slices of top quality Oat Nut bread plus Natural Crunchy Peanut Butter and a healthy bit amount of Strawberry Jam.
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#159 User is offline   Assail 

• Destriant of the Abyssmal Army

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:38 PM

Breakfast shake.

6 ice cubes
1/2 cup of milk
1 tbsp of organic honey
1 scoop of daily serving of vegetables
1 scoop L-Glutamine powder
1 scoop Pre-workout
2 scoop Vanilla whey protein
1 whole banana

Taken with a multi-vitamin and fish oil.
I still heart Goodkind.

#160 User is offline   Tapper 

Posted 21 January 2016 - 01:59 PM

For Macros.

Share this topic:

• 13 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic