• 9 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

ONCE UPON A TIME discussion w/spoilers for weekly new episodes

#41 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 09 January 2012 - 09:08 PM

View PostBriar King, on 09 January 2012 - 09:00 PM, said:

I thought it was a cool enough episode. I really liked seeing Brad Douir as The Dark One. He is a great actor and its a shame his part is and will be from the looks of it just that one epi. ^_^

Oh yeah the guy playing The Captain of the Guard also. I dont know his name but he has alot of roles in multiple shows...usually as a bad guy as he seems to do them well.

Brad Dourif is a terrific actor who ALWAYS creeps the fuck outta me in every role he plays. He just suits the creepy Wormtongue vibe so well.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#42 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 09 January 2012 - 10:08 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 09 January 2012 - 09:08 PM, said:

I thought it was a cool enough episode. I really liked seeing Brad Douir as The Dark One. He is a great actor and its a shame his part is and will be from the looks of it just that one epi. ^_^

Oh yeah the guy playing The Captain of the Guard also. I dont know his name but he has alot of roles in multiple shows...usually as a bad guy as he seems to do them well.

Brad Dourif is a terrific actor who ALWAYS creeps the fuck outta me in every role he plays. He just suits the creepy Wormtongue vibe so well.

I grant his performance was good enough, but the only way the reveal could have been made more obvious would have been if he grabbed Rumpi by the shoulders and shook him rasping 'I AM THE FRIKKIN DARK ONE YOU NINNY' at the top (bottom) of his raspy lungs.

Also, storytelling fail for the whole 'Dark One' angle as opposed to connecting some thin shred of an existing fairie tale, especially when so much is made of the disasterous 'Ogre Wars' yet the 'Duke' has his all powerful and mighty 'Dark One' beating up peasants for a squad of burly soldiers.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#43 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 10 January 2012 - 01:33 PM

View PostAbyss, on 09 January 2012 - 10:08 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 09 January 2012 - 09:08 PM, said:

I grant his performance was good enough, but the only way the reveal could have been made more obvious would have been if he grabbed Rumpi by the shoulders and shook him rasping 'I AM THE FRIKKIN DARK ONE YOU NINNY' at the top (bottom) of his raspy lungs.

Is it possible that it was only that obvious to us because the minute you introduce Brad Dourif as a homeless bum who wants to help, we immediately assume he's evil....cause he's Brad Dourif?

Remember the Angelina Jolie movie THE BONE COLLECTOR? Well in the very FIRST trailer for that flick near the end you hear a line of dialogue by the villain threatening someone VIA phone of whatever...and I recognized the voice...so the minute that the dude who's voice it is shows up on the "good side" as a cop in the first 5 minutes of the movie...I knew he was the bad guy...thus making the rest of the film pointless. I recall being so pissed they used a guy with such a distinct voice in the trailer!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#44 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 10 January 2012 - 02:44 PM

Nah. It was obvious because in faerie tales random helpful homeless beggars always have an agenda.

As a complete aside to the crapisode, was that not the Headless Horseman of Sleepy Hollow in the opening graphic trees?

#45 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 10 January 2012 - 02:51 PM

View PostAbyss, on 10 January 2012 - 02:44 PM, said:

As a complete aside to the crapisode, was that not the Headless Horseman of Sleepy Hollow in the opening graphic trees?

I thought so initially as well, since each opening is different and usually concerns the episode...but now I think it may have simply been a representation of the Dark One.

At any rate, I'm waiting for the Black Smoke Monster to appear in the opening forest. LOL

#46 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 10 January 2012 - 03:34 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 10 January 2012 - 02:51 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 10 January 2012 - 02:44 PM, said:

I thought so initially as well, since each opening is different and usually concerns the episode...but now I think it may have simply been a representation of the Dark One.

S'possible, but they don't always follow directly... the Graham's heart ep started with a wolf iirc.

At any rate, I'm waiting for the Black Smoke Monster to appear in the opening forest. LOL

I spent the whole 'what's down the mine' episode waiting for them to find a hatch.

Aside... is it just me, or is Little Red Riding Ho' wearing less clothes every ep?

#47 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 10 January 2012 - 03:50 PM

View PostAbyss, on 10 January 2012 - 03:34 PM, said:

Aside... is it just me, or is Little Red Riding Ho' wearing less clothes every ep?

You say that like it's a problem.

Hell, my gf KNOWS that I wait on every ep for her yummy scantily clad ass to show up. At which point she laughs and calls me a perv. Then I bring up her treating Green Arrow on SMALLVILLE like a piece of meat and all is right with the world. LOL

#48 User is offline   McLovin 

• Cutlery Enthusiast
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Knives. Stabbing. Stabbing with knives.

Posted 12 January 2012 - 01:21 PM

Well, the latest ep 50% worked for me. I liked the Rumpy backstory, hated the sheriff election. The Rumpy story itself wasn't that great, but Robert Carlyle sold it. Still, I find myself rooting for this show to go on.

Apparently one of the writers is a Led Zeppelin fan. Zoso the Dark One, indeed :rofl:
OK, I think I got it, but just in case, can you say the whole thing over again? I wasn't really listening.

#49 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 12 January 2012 - 02:59 PM

View PostMcLovin, on 12 January 2012 - 01:21 PM, said:

... one of the writers is a Led Zeppelin fan. Zoso the Dark One, indeed :rofl:

I did have a good laugh at that.

#50 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 16 January 2012 - 06:44 AM

Tonight's Hansel & Gretel ep was booooooring. Stopped half way, not sure i'll bother with it. This series is on the thinnest of ice with me.

#51 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 16 January 2012 - 07:51 PM

It could be that I was in a post-Golden Globes, Post-roast dinner fugue...but I fell asleep halfway through the ep...but I do know Abyss is right, it felt interminably LONG...even for the half hour I watched it.

#52 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 16 January 2012 - 08:21 PM

Jump ship!

I'd give Grimm a B- grade, which appears to be worlds better than what you guys are describing.

OUaT might be the single worst written show I've watched in a while. Either the producers rushed the writers, don't care about the quality or are genuinely aiming for this.

This is too damn bad, because Jennifer Morrison is quite good at her jobs and Rumple was awesome.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#53 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:24 PM

View Postamphibian, on 16 January 2012 - 08:21 PM, said:

Jump ship!

I'd give Grimm a B- grade, which appears to be worlds better than what you guys are describing.

OUaT might be the single worst written show I've watched in a while. Either the producers rushed the writers, don't care about the quality or are genuinely aiming for this.

This is too damn bad, because Jennifer Morrison is quite good at her jobs and Rumple was awesome.

I actually AM considering jumping ship...I'll give it a couple more episodes, but if it doesn't start doing something interesting, I'll bail.

#54 User is offline   McLovin 

• Cutlery Enthusiast
  • Interests:Knives. Stabbing. Stabbing with knives.

Posted 23 January 2012 - 01:32 PM

Everyone hates on the Hansel & Gretel, even their dad.

It wasn't a great ep, but I thought it was OK.

amph, it would be interesting to hear how you contrast this show with Grimm.
OK, I think I got it, but just in case, can you say the whole thing over again? I wasn't really listening.

#55 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 23 January 2012 - 01:42 PM

Last night's Snow/7 Dwarves/James impending nuptials (7:15) was decent enough, though it had a few glaring annoyances:

Annoyance 1: Stealthy Dwarf....may as well have been wearing a redshirt, you KNEW he was going down.

Annoyance 2: If Typewriter/Motorcycle Stranger Man turns out to be some variation on the Big Bad Wolf, I will join Bill Willingham in shouting "foul".

Annoyance 3: Mary Margaret's line about it "being too soon" when James holds her hand in the forest...was delivered REALLY poorly. Poorly enough for my gf (who used to watch Ghost Whisperer FFS) to notice and laugh at the bad acting.

Other than those annoyances, things moved along at a fair pace, though I don't know how much the overall story progressed in this ep as it seemed to revolve entirely around James and Mary Margaret finally having the balls to admit they like each other. A dynamic I initially enjoyed, but it's gotten to the ridiculously painful arena now. Like the Mayor VS Sheriff animosity (which seems to be FINALLY abating into a grudging mutual dislike), they overkill character interactions like that.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 23 January 2012 - 01:44 PM

#56 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 23 January 2012 - 04:40 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 23 January 2012 - 01:42 PM, said:

... Like the Mayor VS Sheriff animosity (which seems to be FINALLY abating into a grudging mutual dislike), they overkill character interactions like that.

I liked it better when they were punching each other in the face.

#57 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 23 January 2012 - 04:42 PM

I get annoyed by the fact that this show does just enough that I like each episode to keep me coming back, but it really isn't doing much to blow me away. It's middling still.

#58 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 23 January 2012 - 05:13 PM

i still havn't gone back to finish the hansel and gretel homeless waifs episode.

#59 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 30 January 2012 - 07:44 PM

Last night's ep was kinda painful. Here's a snippet.

Emma: Hey, the mayor is using large quantites of your city funds without your knowledge to build herself a swanky house in the woods!

Town Meeting atendees: Boooo!!!! What the heck?!

Mayor: No, I was using large quantities of city funds without your knowledge to build a playground in the woods for your kids!

Town Meeting Attendees: Oh, that's okay then Yay!!!!

wait what?

#ScreenwriterFail

#60 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 13 February 2012 - 05:07 PM

Huh, last night's Belle/Beast (Rumple) episode was much better than I thought it was going to be. The more they reveal about Rumple the more I like him. Sure he's villainous, but there are moments and beats in the scripts where you can see the good guy coming through. None more apparent than Belle kissing him and his face changing. It adds a new dimension to the Queen/Mayor's relationship to him since she knows he can have his curse lifted for true love. There was also full disclosure that both the Mayor and Mr. Gold know EXACTLY where they all came from (something that was only alluded to up till now). I get the feeling we are starting to see a sectioning off of the minions. Gold seems to be attempting to get Emma on his side, without compromising his own nefarious/or not goals, and that is interesting. The faiytale land stuff still seems to trump the modern day stuff on an episode to episode basis, but with the revelation at the end that Gold thinks Belle is dead and the Mayor is actually keeping her in an insane asylum alive was one of the more interesting things to happen in the modern world. I'll be really interested to see where they go with her Emilie DeRavin's Belle character in future.

Also, the mention by the Queen in that scene (where she lies to Rumple about Belle's supposed death) of "the business of a mermaid" means Ariel should be showing up soon.

There is also the dynamic that Gold beat Belle's father within an inch of his life for abandoning Belle to the tower for penance and supposed death...but the Queen lied about her death...how much did she lie about the father shunning her? I think a lot and therefore Gold will have beaten the innocent father of the woman he loves. That seems to call for a reckoning down the line, and it will be something Gold may not want to face.

Basically last night's episode got me back on board for the remainder of the season to see where this plays out to.

Share this topic:

• 9 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users