• You cannot reply to this topic

ONCE UPON A TIME - season 2 discussion w/spoilers for weekly new episodes

#41 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 06 January 2012 - 08:39 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 06 January 2012 - 01:43 PM, said:

Yep, with (I do believe) an episode written by our fave GAME OF THRONES (and BUFFY) writer Jane Epenson about Hansel and Gretel...and it looks awesome.

...and then I think next weekend is the one that's all about fairytale world Rumpy and him trying to keep his son from going to war.

Didn't she do the trapped in the mine episode, which was the worst written episode of the season thus far?

Yup. Imdb lists her as the writer. I dunno what this means for the show, brosephs and brosepherinas, but I'm out as of the last episode.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#42 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 06 January 2012 - 09:00 PM

View Postamphibian, on 12 December 2011 - 02:05 AM, said:

This show is the Brandon Sanderson Gone Wild of TV. I'm done.

View Postamphibian, on 06 January 2012 - 08:39 PM, said:

...but I'm out as of the last episode.

So you'll be watching on Sunday?

:)
I have always been tempted to organize my bookshelf autobiographically, so i can tell you how i got from THE HOBBIT to THOMAS COVENANT by way of the naked lady cover of THE DRAGONRIDERS OF PERN when i was thirteen.

#43 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Yojimbo
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Ronin, Sake, Fast Blade

Posted 09 January 2012 - 12:20 PM

Well that was a pretty good episode! The Rumple-centric-ness of it added to it, but I think overall it was a decent mid-season opener.

I guess the Hansel & Gretel ep is next week.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 09 January 2012 - 12:22 PM

"I am Loki, of Asgard. And I am burdened with glorious purpose." -Loki

#44 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 09 January 2012 - 03:14 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 09 January 2012 - 12:20 PM, said:

Well that was a pretty good episode! The Rumple-centric-ness of it added to it, but I think overall it was a decent mid-season opener.

I guess the Hansel & Gretel ep is next week.

Funny - that ep swung me right over to the Amphi' side of things.

I found it trite, predictable, not in the least bit clever, and hamhanded when it was trying to be. Rump's story was rediculous if not outright dumb, and the sheriff election thing actually outright dumb. the little moments when theywere trying to be clever... "Crickets" and "A reflection of..." weren't amusing. Performances were generally wooden.

Not impressed with this ep at all. hoping for better next week.
I have always been tempted to organize my bookshelf autobiographically, so i can tell you how i got from THE HOBBIT to THOMAS COVENANT by way of the naked lady cover of THE DRAGONRIDERS OF PERN when i was thirteen.

#45 User is offline   Lord Gator 

• God

Posted 09 January 2012 - 09:00 PM

I thought it was a cool enough episode. I really liked seeing Brad Douir as The Dark One. He is a great actor and its a shame his part is and will be from the looks of it just that one epi. :(

Oh yeah the guy playing The Captain of the Guard also. I dont know his name but he has alot of roles in multiple shows...usually as a bad guy as he seems to do them well.

This post has been edited by Briar King: 09 January 2012 - 09:01 PM

Dragonfucknuts!

"He jumped out the tree! Then he ran at me with a chainsaw. I had to defend myself."

#46 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Yojimbo

Posted 09 January 2012 - 09:08 PM

View PostBriar King, on 09 January 2012 - 09:00 PM, said:

I thought it was a cool enough episode. I really liked seeing Brad Douir as The Dark One. He is a great actor and its a shame his part is and will be from the looks of it just that one epi. :(

Oh yeah the guy playing The Captain of the Guard also. I dont know his name but he has alot of roles in multiple shows...usually as a bad guy as he seems to do them well.

Brad Dourif is a terrific actor who ALWAYS creeps the fuck outta me in every role he plays. He just suits the creepy Wormtongue vibe so well.

#47 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 09 January 2012 - 10:08 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 09 January 2012 - 09:08 PM, said:

Brad Dourif is a terrific actor who ALWAYS creeps the fuck outta me in every role he plays. He just suits the creepy Wormtongue vibe so well.

I grant his performance was good enough, but the only way the reveal could have been made more obvious would have been if he grabbed Rumpi by the shoulders and shook him rasping 'I AM THE FRIKKIN DARK ONE YOU NINNY' at the top (bottom) of his raspy lungs.

Also, storytelling fail for the whole 'Dark One' angle as opposed to connecting some thin shred of an existing fairie tale, especially when so much is made of the disasterous 'Ogre Wars' yet the 'Duke' has his all powerful and mighty 'Dark One' beating up peasants for a squad of burly soldiers.

#48 User is offline   Lord Gator 

• God

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:06 AM

Yeah it was extremely fucking obviouis he was the Dark One before the reveal so it was a no shocker when the time came. Was that whole plot in whatever story Rumple is in, Ogre Wars, Son, Dark One, Dukes Castle? Im gonna have to duckduckgo every character from the show cause Ive no clue whats classic info vs. show info. Is that completely fucked up I was never told these stories in my 80's childhood by anyone?
Dragonfucknuts!

"He jumped out the tree! Then he ran at me with a chainsaw. I had to defend myself."

#49 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Yojimbo

Posted 10 January 2012 - 01:33 PM

View PostAbyss, on 09 January 2012 - 10:08 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 09 January 2012 - 09:08 PM, said:

I grant his performance was good enough, but the only way the reveal could have been made more obvious would have been if he grabbed Rumpi by the shoulders and shook him rasping 'I AM THE FRIKKIN DARK ONE YOU NINNY' at the top (bottom) of his raspy lungs.

Is it possible that it was only that obvious to us because the minute you introduce Brad Dourif as a homeless bum who wants to help, we immediately assume he's evil....cause he's Brad Dourif?

Remember the Angelina Jolie movie THE BONE COLLECTOR? Well in the very FIRST trailer for that flick near the end you hear a line of dialogue by the villain threatening someone VIA phone of whatever...and I recognized the voice...so the minute that the dude who's voice it is shows up on the "good side" as a cop in the first 5 minutes of the movie...I knew he was the bad guy...thus making the rest of the film pointless. I recall being so pissed they used a guy with such a distinct voice in the trailer!

#50 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 10 January 2012 - 02:44 PM

Nah. It was obvious because in faerie tales random helpful homeless beggars always have an agenda.

As a complete aside to the crapisode, was that not the Headless Horseman of Sleepy Hollow in the opening graphic trees?

#51 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Yojimbo

Posted 10 January 2012 - 02:51 PM

View PostAbyss, on 10 January 2012 - 02:44 PM, said:

As a complete aside to the crapisode, was that not the Headless Horseman of Sleepy Hollow in the opening graphic trees?

I thought so initially as well, since each opening is different and usually concerns the episode...but now I think it may have simply been a representation of the Dark One.

At any rate, I'm waiting for the Black Smoke Monster to appear in the opening forest. LOL

#52 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 10 January 2012 - 03:34 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 10 January 2012 - 02:51 PM, said:

I thought so initially as well, since each opening is different and usually concerns the episode...but now I think it may have simply been a representation of the Dark One.

S'possible, but they don't always follow directly... the Graham's heart ep started with a wolf iirc.

At any rate, I'm waiting for the Black Smoke Monster to appear in the opening forest. LOL

I spent the whole 'what's down the mine' episode waiting for them to find a hatch.

Aside... is it just me, or is Little Red Riding Ho' wearing less clothes every ep?

#53 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Yojimbo

Posted 10 January 2012 - 03:50 PM

View PostAbyss, on 10 January 2012 - 03:34 PM, said:

Aside... is it just me, or is Little Red Riding Ho' wearing less clothes every ep?

You say that like it's a problem.

Hell, my gf KNOWS that I wait on every ep for her yummy scantily clad ass to show up. At which point she laughs and calls me a perv. Then I bring up her treating Green Arrow on SMALLVILLE like a piece of meat and all is right with the world. LOL

#54 User is offline   Lord Gator 

• God

Posted 11 January 2012 - 04:13 AM

Nah. It was obvious because in faerie tales random helpful homeless beggars always have an agenda.

I took it as the Guard Captain since he was holding a torch. I dont think TDO had one in the epi...he just did the hand light thing the the villagers?
Dragonfucknuts!

#55 User is offline   McLovin 

• Cutlery Enthusiast
  • Interests:Knives. Stabbing. Stabbing with knives.

Posted 12 January 2012 - 01:21 PM

Well, the latest ep 50% worked for me. I liked the Rumpy backstory, hated the sheriff election. The Rumpy story itself wasn't that great, but Robert Carlyle sold it. Still, I find myself rooting for this show to go on.

Apparently one of the writers is a Led Zeppelin fan. Zoso the Dark One, indeed ;)
OK, I think I got it, but just in case, can you say the whole thing over again? I wasn't really listening.

#56 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 12 January 2012 - 02:59 PM

View PostMcLovin, on 12 January 2012 - 01:21 PM, said:

... one of the writers is a Led Zeppelin fan. Zoso the Dark One, indeed ;)

I did have a good laugh at that.

#57 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 16 January 2012 - 06:44 AM

Tonight's Hansel & Gretel ep was booooooring. Stopped half way, not sure i'll bother with it. This series is on the thinnest of ice with me.

#58 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Yojimbo

Posted 16 January 2012 - 07:51 PM

It could be that I was in a post-Golden Globes, Post-roast dinner fugue...but I fell asleep halfway through the ep...but I do know Abyss is right, it felt interminably LONG...even for the half hour I watched it.

#59 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 16 January 2012 - 08:21 PM

Jump ship!

I'd give Grimm a B- grade, which appears to be worlds better than what you guys are describing.

OUaT might be the single worst written show I've watched in a while. Either the producers rushed the writers, don't care about the quality or are genuinely aiming for this.

This is too damn bad, because Jennifer Morrison is quite good at her jobs and Rumple was awesome.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#60 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Yojimbo

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:24 PM

View Postamphibian, on 16 January 2012 - 08:21 PM, said:

Jump ship!

I'd give Grimm a B- grade, which appears to be worlds better than what you guys are describing.

OUaT might be the single worst written show I've watched in a while. Either the producers rushed the writers, don't care about the quality or are genuinely aiming for this.

This is too damn bad, because Jennifer Morrison is quite good at her jobs and Rumple was awesome.

I actually AM considering jumping ship...I'll give it a couple more episodes, but if it doesn't start doing something interesting, I'll bail.

Share this topic:

• 9 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users