• 9 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

ONCE UPON A TIME discussion w/spoilers for weekly new episodes

#21 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 06 December 2011 - 06:32 PM

Huh, very interesting indeed. That would certainly add a nice bit of layering to her.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#22 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 07 December 2011 - 02:25 PM

Does anyone else think Dr. Sark is actually Doc? Makes his attempt to date Snow White kinda icky.
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#23 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 07 December 2011 - 03:47 PM

View Postacesn8s, on 07 December 2011 - 02:25 PM, said:

Does anyone else think Dr. Sark is actually Doc? Makes his attempt to date Snow White kinda icky.

...or entirely appropriate. As well as icky. FABLES and various other sources have made some rather colourful depictions about Snow's relationship with the dwarves.

I'm wondering whether Dr Sark's 'i try to never do what's expected' line was a hint tho'... Peter Pan was a Disney property so that character is available for ONCE.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#24 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 07 December 2011 - 08:11 PM

View PostAbyss, on 07 December 2011 - 03:47 PM, said:

View Postacesn8s, on 07 December 2011 - 02:25 PM, said:

...or entirely appropriate. As well as icky. FABLES and various other sources have made some rather colourful depictions about Snow's relationship with the dwarves.

I'm wondering whether Dr Sark's 'i try to never do what's expected' line was a hint tho'... Peter Pan was a Disney property so that character is available for ONCE.

Ooooh, I never even thought about him. Interesting Abyss!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#25 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 08 December 2011 - 01:40 PM

I agree, very interesting.
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#26 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 08 December 2011 - 04:08 PM

Has anyone seen a list of fairie tale source material for the show?

So far we've seen... that i can recall...

Snow White and the Seven Dwarves
Cinderella
Pinnochio
Little Red Riding Hood
King Midas
Rumplestiltskin

...and arguably Sleeping Beauty, The Billy Goats Gruff and The Prince and the Pauper by implication, plus a few generic beasties of no particular origin.

Off the top of my head, Peter Pan, Beauty and the Beast, Hansel and Gretel, Jack and the Beanstock, Tom Thumb, The Frog Prince, Puss in Boots... might qualify.
Little Mermaid seems too current.

FABLES worked in limerick based characters like Little Boy Blue or the Old Woman in the Shoe, but they aren't strictly speaking the same thing. Plus the whole question of Arthurian type characters and more foreign stories like Aladdin or Ali Babba.

hmmm...

#27 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 08 December 2011 - 05:43 PM

View PostAbyss, on 08 December 2011 - 04:08 PM, said:

Little Mermaid seems too current.

Actually, they already looking at casting Ariel, and the Little Mermaid folktale is older than most of the other ones, so it's fair game.

Casting directors are looking at casting Joanna Garcia as Ariel:

Posted Image

I think the episode airs in Feb. but Emilie De Ravin (Claire from LOST) has been cast as Belle, and two actors have been cast as Cogsworth and Lumiere, no word who will play Beast is in the episode or Belle's father Maurice.

and here's a look at her in yellow dress with Rump in the background.

Posted Image

Oh and this just in 2 days ago. Sage Brocklebank has been cast as Gaston.

Posted Image

Seeing as it is my 2nd fave Disney toon flick, I would LOVE to see some aspect of Milo or Kida from ATLANTIS show up at some point (they could even cast Michael J. Fox as long as they could work his Parkinson's into the story to explain the shakes), but that's probably wishful thinking on my part.

I should note that Aladdin is already on the sched for Season 1 as well, though I'm not sure if he's been cast yet.

I really will love this show if ABC and Disney allow the writers to continue to totally deconstruct the Disney'fied versions of each character (case in point, Cinderella's fairy godmother getting iced mid-speech, or Jiminiy's parents being abhorrent dickholes) for all the properties. It would be nice to have some of the real folk tale for the Little Mermaid in the episode simply because her story is actually so entirely gruesome and brutal.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 08 December 2011 - 05:50 PM

#28 User is offline   Catherine 

• Lieutenant
  • Interests:SCA<br />International Side-saddle Association<br />good books<br />the Space Channe<br />Arabian horses

Posted 09 December 2011 - 01:14 PM

Is it just me or did Mary Margaret wear a small key on a chain around her neck in some of the scenes?

#29 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 09 December 2011 - 01:16 PM

View PostBriar King, on 09 December 2011 - 03:48 AM, said:

Did Charming really have a twin brother and how did that Farm mother get the other in the show as I missed that explanation?

Yes he did, neither was an actual prince to begin with, and both were bartered away from the twins mother the farm lady VIA Rumple (the first when he was a baby) and the second was needed after the first died and King Midas would have cast the realm into war if his wishes were not carried out (the prince slaying a dragon). The mother bartered them away to keep her farm alive and the second son fed. Then the farm was going to go tits up again and she bartered away the second son.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 09 December 2011 - 01:17 PM

#30 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 09 December 2011 - 03:29 PM

View PostCatherine, on 09 December 2011 - 01:14 PM, said:

Is it just me or did Mary Margaret wear a small key on a chain around her neck in some of the scenes?

Yep.

Significance?

View PostQuickTidal, on 09 December 2011 - 01:16 PM, said:

View PostBriar King, on 09 December 2011 - 03:48 AM, said:

Did Charming really have a twin brother and how did that Farm mother get the other in the show as I missed that explanation?

Yes he did, neither was an actual prince to begin with, and both were bartered away from the twins mother the farm lady VIA Rumple (the first when he was a baby) and the second was needed after the first died and King Midas would have cast the realm into war if his wishes were not carried out (the prince slaying a dragon). The mother bartered them away to keep her farm alive and the second son fed. Then the farm was going to go tits up again and she bartered away the second son.

She traded the first son via Rumple' for the farm to prosper. He became Midas' son.

The second son, Charming, only became involved when Midas needed a replacement.

#31 User is online   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 12 December 2011 - 02:05 AM

This show is the Brandon Sanderson Gone Wild of TV. I'm done.

Wish they'd ported Fables straight over instead of this nonsense. At this rate, all Emma has to do to solve the story is sex everyone in town. Boom - memories restored and show over.

This post has been edited by amphibian: 12 December 2011 - 02:05 AM

I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#32 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 12 December 2011 - 05:14 PM

Technically all she has to do is make out with everyone in the town.

I enjoyed this past ep. We got confirmation that the Queen is still evil AND powerful, Emma's likely now sheriff, and aside from possibly Emma and Henry, we now can't take for granted that any character is safe.

And i want to know what Gold was doing in the forest with that shovel.

#33 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 12 December 2011 - 08:31 PM

View Postamphibian, on 12 December 2011 - 02:05 AM, said:

...all Emma has to do to solve the story is sex everyone in town. Boom - memories restored and show over.

View PostAbyss, on 12 December 2011 - 05:14 PM, said:

Technically all she has to do is make out with everyone in the town....

...and it bears mention that breaking a curse with a kiss is a fairy tale standard, +/- 'true love' which would eliminate Emma freeing ANYONE that way at present.

#34 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 21 December 2011 - 02:13 PM

Info about the next 3 episodes (once the show returns in January)

Episode 8 "Desperate Souls" (Airs January 8 )
Emma runs for public office, leading Regina and Mr. Gold to indulge in dirty politics; Rumpelstiltskin searches for a power source to help his son avoid war.

Episode 9 "True North" (Airs January 15)
Emma tries to save two children from the foster system by finding their birth father; the evil queen has Hansel and Gretel steal an artifact from a blind witch.

Episode 10 "7:15 AM" (Airs January 22)
David and Mary Margaret continue to struggle with their feelings; a mysterious stranger in town makes Regina and Emma suspicious; Prince Charming's wedding approaches.

#35 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 21 December 2011 - 02:20 PM

That will probably come out over here next year. This is the first time i've heard of it.
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#36 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 06 January 2012 - 01:43 PM

Yep, with (I do believe) an episode written by our fave GAME OF THRONES (and BUFFY) writer Jane Epenson about Hansel and Gretel...and it looks awesome.

...and then I think next weekend is the one that's all about fairytale world Rumpy and him trying to keep his son from going to war.

#37 User is online   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 06 January 2012 - 08:39 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 06 January 2012 - 01:43 PM, said:

Yep, with (I do believe) an episode written by our fave GAME OF THRONES (and BUFFY) writer Jane Epenson about Hansel and Gretel...and it looks awesome.

...and then I think next weekend is the one that's all about fairytale world Rumpy and him trying to keep his son from going to war.

Didn't she do the trapped in the mine episode, which was the worst written episode of the season thus far?

Yup. Imdb lists her as the writer. I dunno what this means for the show, brosephs and brosepherinas, but I'm out as of the last episode.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#38 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 06 January 2012 - 09:00 PM

View Postamphibian, on 12 December 2011 - 02:05 AM, said:

This show is the Brandon Sanderson Gone Wild of TV. I'm done.

View Postamphibian, on 06 January 2012 - 08:39 PM, said:

...but I'm out as of the last episode.

So you'll be watching on Sunday?

;)

#39 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 09 January 2012 - 12:20 PM

Well that was a pretty good episode! The Rumple-centric-ness of it added to it, but I think overall it was a decent mid-season opener.

I guess the Hansel & Gretel ep is next week.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 09 January 2012 - 12:22 PM

#40 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 09 January 2012 - 03:14 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 09 January 2012 - 12:20 PM, said:

Well that was a pretty good episode! The Rumple-centric-ness of it added to it, but I think overall it was a decent mid-season opener.

I guess the Hansel & Gretel ep is next week.

Funny - that ep swung me right over to the Amphi' side of things.

I found it trite, predictable, not in the least bit clever, and hamhanded when it was trying to be. Rump's story was rediculous if not outright dumb, and the sheriff election thing actually outright dumb. the little moments when theywere trying to be clever... "Crickets" and "A reflection of..." weren't amusing. Performances were generally wooden.

Not impressed with this ep at all. hoping for better next week.

Share this topic:

• 9 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users