• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Fitness and weightlifting Lets do this you spineless wimps

#1 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 07 September 2011 - 06:35 PM

I've been wondering why we didn't have a thread about peoples daily fitness regiments, now we have one. If you do some kind of daily or weekly sport or fitness related activity and want to share post it here.

Today, for the first time in probably 5 or 6 years, I stepped in to a gym and did some good old fashioned weightlifting. Feels good man. After I started Uni I dropped all interest in keeping in shape and I've never really gotten around to doing anything about it since. Yesterday, the urge suddenly got me, I felt like going out and buying some gear and getting busy, and so I did.

I reckon I could probably do with dropping maybe 15 kilos of beer gut and putting on some mores muscle and that is now my plan.

I don't want to go all crazy to start with since I reckon the next month or so is going to be hell. My body is going to be sore as fuck and my muscles will bitch and moan, so I'm just going to do what ever I can manage to get myself conditioned again. In the end I plan on getting serious about it. 5-6 days a week of 1-2 hours of weightlifting and cardio when I can manage it.

I plan on using a simple and easy training schedule for the foreseeable future. A 3 day split where I train separate bodyparts each day and after the 3rd day I start over.

Day 1. Chest, Biceps, Abdominals.
Day 2. Lowerback + hamstrings, Upper back, triceps.
Day 3. Thighs, calfs, shoulders + neck.

This was always my favorite programme back in highschool and I'm sure it wont fail me now.

I'm going to chalk down what I managed to lift these first days so I have something to compare with later as I advance. The weights are in kilos.

Day 1.
Benchpress: 10x20, 10x30, 10x40, 10x50, 8x60
"Pull-over": 10x15, 10x20,6x27,5
Butterfly: 15x5, 10x10, 6x12,5
Barbell curls: 10x15, 10x20, 8x25, 5x30, ?x10
Isolated seated barbell curls: 10x5, 10x8, 5x12,5
Then I threw in a few sets for the lower back and the abdominals, but I didn't go nuts because I wanted my core to be relatively fresh for the next two days which are going to get mean and I have no idea how they'll hold up.

All in all not that bad compared to what I feared. I was surprised that I got that many reps at 60 on my bench. I was never that strong on the bench to begin with.

I'd forgotten that awesome feeling you get when you experience "the pump", I was probably grinning like an idiot half the time.

Now to see if I can actually get serious about this.

This post has been edited by Aptorian Sharktopus: 07 September 2011 - 06:37 PM

#2 User is offline   Stalker 

• House Knight
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 07 September 2011 - 09:12 PM

I love the pump.

I usually work out 3-5 days a week, depending on the week. Right now, I don't have a specific routine. I am trying to find something that will pack on muscle, and combine that with a good diet.

#3 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Writing. Martial arts. Sport. Music, playing and singing, composition.

Posted 07 September 2011 - 09:12 PM

I'll stick my routine on here when I've got more time, but it's basically an alternating cardio/interval training with weights programme.
It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about nowadays saying things against one, behind one's back, that are absolutely and entirely true.
-- Oscar Wilde

#4 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 07 September 2011 - 11:16 PM

Deadlifts, Apt. Do 'em. Also, go easy on bread and cereals. That'll help take some weight off quick.

I usually do three to five sessions of Brazilian jiu-jitsu a week. Each session is at least 1.5 hours long. In days past, I'd also weightlift two or three times a week, primarily deadlifting, squatting and doing overhead presses. Some bench, but it didn't help the grappling as much as working on my grip and bent-over rows did.

I'll get back into the lifting. Thanks for reminding me to get off my ass, Apt.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#5 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 08 September 2011 - 03:30 AM

View PostStalker, on 07 September 2011 - 09:12 PM, said:

I love the pump.

I usually work out 3-5 days a week, depending on the week. Right now, I don't have a specific routine. I am trying to find something that will pack on muscle, and combine that with a good diet.

Oh yeah, I loved that video. I remember watching all the "classic" videos years ago with Schwarzenegger, Dorian Yates, Ronnie Coleman, etc. But I always had an especial appreciation of Pumping Iron. Those guys seem a little bit more sane. Back then they didn't look like chemical monsters. It's a shame they're all running around with those swollen guts now a days.

View PostUseOfWeapons, on 07 September 2011 - 09:12 PM, said:

I'll stick my routine on here when I've got more time, but it's basically an alternating cardio/interval training with weights programme.

I was hoping that people whould post their programmes here so that we could all take a look and maybe learn something new.

View Postamphibian, on 07 September 2011 - 11:16 PM, said:

Deadlifts, Apt. Do 'em. Also, go easy on bread and cereals. That'll help take some weight off quick.

I usually do three to five sessions of Brazilian jiu-jitsu a week. Each session is at least 1.5 hours long. In days past, I'd also weightlift two or three times a week, primarily deadlifting, squatting and doing overhead presses. Some bench, but it didn't help the grappling as much as working on my grip and bent-over rows did.

I'll get back into the lifting. Thanks for reminding me to get off my ass, Apt.

Today is back day and I always start those with Deadlifts. Going to be scary. Hope I don't accidentally give myself a hernia :)

Deadlifts were always my favorite exercise. Seemed like the most basic and simple of the exercises. Just pick that weight up of the floor and yet it's never simple. King of the exercises indeed.

#6 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 08 September 2011 - 04:04 AM

I'll post my program once I find it on this damn external hard drive. For one thing, I don't do nearly as many reps as you do, Apt.

#7 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 08 September 2011 - 08:33 AM

I've been focusing mainly on the larger muscle groups. It's a fairly simple program, easy to remember and easy to modify (just add more weight or reps)

Mainly I do spinning, alot of spinning. I like it, it's fun.
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#8 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 08 September 2011 - 02:35 PM

Only do compound movements for the next 3 months.

Bench
Shoulder press
Deadlifts
Squats
Pull ups
Bent over rows

Do 10-12 reps first week, 7-10 the second, and 3-5 the third week, then start with week one again. I bet you put on 10-15lbs of lean mass in 12 weeks doing this.

If you want to get technical try this for rest:

Weeks 1-3 120 seconds
Weeks 4-6 90 seconds
Weeks 7-9 60 seconds.
Weeks 10-12 3 minutes

I'm going to focus more on training a specific movement instead of a body part right now. The most important thing for a beginner is to add a base amount of muscle mass and strength. Don't worry about getting too big. Size will be related to eating nice and clean. Use the rep range I put up there and use the following warm up:

5 Minutes of bike. Pretty much stick with the bike. Do some PNF streching for about 10 more minutes. If you can get a partner for this, awesome. If not use a fixed object and a towel. http://www.exrx.net/...Stretching.html

You should adjust your weight so that each work set is difficult. Your last work set should be very difficult to get the last rep or two but you should be able to complete it. You don't need to go to failure.

Monday:
Bench. Not a powerlifters bench. A nice, flat backed, feet on the floor bench.
1 set 12 reps (warm up)
1 set 10 reps (warm up)
3 work sets in the rep range

Dips
3 work sets in the rep range

Standing shoulder press barbell
3 sets in the rep range.

Tuesday:
Squats
1 set 12 reps
1 set 12 reps
3 work sets

Deads
3 work sets

Wednesday:
1 set of pull downs 15 reps warm up
3 sets of pull ups in the work range. use an assisted machine until you can get the reps on your own

Bent over row
3 sets in the work range

Thursday:
Dumbell incline press
3 sets

Dips
2 sets

DB seated shoulder press
2 sets

Friday:
DB stiff legged deads
3 sets

Bar front squat
2 sets

Seated row
3 sets

That's my five day program. Tuesdays and Fridays are a bitch, but I'm done with my workouts in less than an hour. Less than 40 minutes in some cases. If I wanted to smush it into three days, I'd do Monday, Wednesday and Friday while tossing in dumbbell presses on Wednesday.

This post has been edited by amphibian: 08 September 2011 - 02:36 PM

#9 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 08 September 2011 - 04:37 PM

Ooohh so fucking sore!

Anyway, today was Hanstrings, back and triceps day.

The weights got a bit jumbled in my head since the various machines I tried out were using some really weird increments, but it went something like this:

Deadlift: 12x40, 10x60, 10x80, 7-8x90, 4x100. (I was really surprised I made it to 100 :) )
Seated Hamstringmachine 2 legs: something something. I think I stopped at 35.
Seated Hamstringmachine 1 leg: 10x10, 10x15, 10x20. (strange machine, I prefer the ones where you're lying down, but I suppose it did the trick)

Pulldown to the chest: Something something I think I stopped around 60. This went easy the first couple of sets but man, my arms were hurting a lot more than my back)
Bent over one handed DB row: 10x15, 10x20, 5x27,5. This one was a bitch. I've lost a lot of my form so I had to spend a lot of concentration on doing it right.
Seated row machine: Something something. I have no idea what the machine was telling me. It jumped up 7 kilos every plate which infuriated me :p
Bent over pullovers with a rope: 10x20, 10x30, 6x35, ?x15

Lying triceps extensions (I think they are called): 10x15, 10x20, 10x20, ?x10
Triceps pushdown: Something something. I think I stopped at 20. These did not go well, my arms were already dead from the prior exercises.
I tried doing some kick backs but my triceps were pretty much dead by then.

I finished off with 10 minutes on a treadmill and went home to cry. My arms and legs feel like jelly.

#10 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 08 September 2011 - 04:43 PM

View Postamphibian, on 08 September 2011 - 04:04 AM, said:

I'll post my program once I find it on this damn external hard drive. For one thing, I don't do nearly as many reps as you do, Apt.

Right now I am just experimenting and goofing around. I'm not very serious about the amount of sets, reps and exercises yet. How ever I'm not going to be focusing on strength specifically and as such I don't really feel a need to go heavy with low reps just yet. I've always been most comfortable with reps in the range of 8-12. Only going lower with the big lifts like bench, squat, DL, Military press, etc where it would be something like 10, 8, 6, 4.

#11 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 08 September 2011 - 04:53 PM

My exercise program has changed alot in the last month since i got married. My wife wants to lift with me and she's pretty much a beginner when it comes to lifting. Also, for the first 3 months of our program we're mainly focusing on losing weight and leaning out. When we're both to our goal weight i'll start lifting more intensely instead of spending so much time on cardio.

We work out around 11 or 12 times a week with our AM workouts being medium to high intensity cardio for 30-45 minutes and the night session low intensity cardio for around 20-30 minutes.

ATM we're lifting 4 days a week and i'm really trying to keep the cardio going throughout the weightlifting so we do a lot of fast paced reps with contrasting muscle groups. The workout is pretty basic right now, but i'll post the one we're doing for the first couple weeks until she gets the hang of it.

Mon-Fri Cardio

AM - High intensity cardio. Usually a 30-45 minute run or eliptical workout.

PM - Low intensity cardio. Usually walking uphill at around a 5 incline and 4.5 pace for 20 minutes.

The way we do out lifts are 3 sets of 12 on all things with a little lower than usual weight (around 55-60% max) alternating 2 workouts with no breaks jumping back and forth between sets. For example. If i'm doing overhead press, she's doing lat pulldowns and when we finish we swithch without a break in between. When we finish our 3 sets we take a 1 minute break before doing the next.

Mon/Thurs PM lift

-DB bench press/bent over rows.
-Overhead press/lat pulldown
-Chest flys/bent over rear flys
-Tricep extensions/DB curls
-Side raises/Lat pushdown
-Tricep overhead press/straighbar curls

Tues/Fri PM lift

-Goblet squats
-Back extensions(roman chair)/Hip abduct/adduct.
-Lunges/planks
-Leg extensions/leg curls.
-Abs

Saturday we just do one medium to high intensity cardio.

Sunday we stretch.\

Its a pretty basic workout to begin with. In a few weeks i'll switch it up to Chest/Upper Back/Shoulders on Mon/Thurs, Bis/Tris on Tues/Fri and Legs and lower back on Wed/Sat.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#12 User is offline   Mrs Savagely Wishy Washy 

• unaligned and irremediable
  • Interests:vested.
  • Ugly is the new pretty.

Posted 13 September 2011 - 08:49 AM

Get some fun cardio stuff in between these intense weight sessions; it's gonna work wonders for those guns and you'll build up the stamina to go through lots of reps. I always enjoyed some boxing-based circuit classes or if you got fast legs, go do kickboxing. It's fast, sweaty, good for stamina and strength- and also weight loss in terms of fat. The other thing I would recommend is an hour pilates or yoga too a week- it's good for keeping the flexibility of the growing bulk, keeping the posture aligned and joints smooth and supports lean muscles mass, plus you exercise all the supporting muscles which you need for increasing the weights you lift. Maybe go for Ashtanga yoga- Vinyasa style, or power yoga or hot yoga or so rather than anything more meditative and chanting and stuff. Hope you're enjoying working out anyways!
but are they worth preserving?
'that judgement does not belong to you.'

#13 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 13 September 2011 - 07:52 PM

While Im only doing barbell complexes at the minute as im not in a gym and using a barbell at home the beginner programme I can recommend is the Stronglifts programme, which is a variation os Starting Strength the best strength training programmes for beginners.

Anyway Stronglifts (google it) works like

workout A
Squat 5 x 5
Bench 5 x 5
Barbell Rows 3 x fail
Dips 3 x fail

Workout B
Squat 5x5
OHP 5x5
DL 1x5
3xfail Pull ups/chin ups

These do not include warm up weights, There should be a set with the bar and atleast two warm up sets with low weights. Seriously it looks like alot of squatting because it is but as Amph claims larger compound movements are the best for both muscle growth and weightloss. You can also do some cardio after youve finished.

#14 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 13 September 2011 - 09:15 PM

View PostMiss Savage, on 13 September 2011 - 08:49 AM, said:

Get some fun cardio stuff in between these intense weight sessions; it's gonna work wonders for those guns and you'll build up the stamina to go through lots of reps. I always enjoyed some boxing-based circuit classes or if you got fast legs, go do kickboxing. It's fast, sweaty, good for stamina and strength- and also weight loss in terms of fat. The other thing I would recommend is an hour pilates or yoga too a week- it's good for keeping the flexibility of the growing bulk, keeping the posture aligned and joints smooth and supports lean muscles mass, plus you exercise all the supporting muscles which you need for increasing the weights you lift. Maybe go for Ashtanga yoga- Vinyasa style, or power yoga or hot yoga or so rather than anything more meditative and chanting and stuff. Hope you're enjoying working out anyways!

Brazilian jiu-jitsu or some other variant of submission wrestling is perhaps the single best activity that combines all of what you say here. Plus it's mega-fun.

Try it out, if you can.

#15 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Writing. Martial arts. Sport. Music, playing and singing, composition.

Posted 14 September 2011 - 12:43 AM

Just a proviso for anyone thinking of taking up any martial-art based class for exercise: classes vary widely in the content of the their fitness element (and in the quality of their instruction, being frank). The rise of BJJ has meant lots of instructors jumping on the MMA bandwagon and in general there are no restrictions on advertising yourself as an MMA instructor or kickboxing instructor after having been to a seminar (or watched some videos on youtube). Beginners aren't going to know enough to check instructors' affiliations to recognised associations (and, to be frank, many such affiliations are dubious at best as national organisations tend not to keep up with the rapidly expanding MA sector).

Basically, if you're looking for fitness, go to a dedicated fitness class, would be my advice.
It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about nowadays saying things against one, behind one's back, that are absolutely and entirely true.
-- Oscar Wilde

#16 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 14 September 2011 - 03:36 AM

View PostUseOfWeapons, on 14 September 2011 - 12:43 AM, said:

Just a proviso for anyone thinking of taking up any martial-art based class for exercise: classes vary widely in the content of the their fitness element (and in the quality of their instruction, being frank). The rise of BJJ has meant lots of instructors jumping on the MMA bandwagon and in general there are no restrictions on advertising yourself as an MMA instructor or kickboxing instructor after having been to a seminar (or watched some videos on youtube). Beginners aren't going to know enough to check instructors' affiliations to recognised associations (and, to be frank, many such affiliations are dubious at best as national organisations tend not to keep up with the rapidly expanding MA sector).

Basically, if you're looking for fitness, go to a dedicated fitness class, would be my advice.

BJJ has a very strong ad hoc policing community. Tons of fakes have been exposed and the instructors are well enough known that most people who've been doing it for a year or so (advanced white belts and blue belts) and are somewhat aware of the sport's history and important individuals can tell you if your instructor is legit or not. I would be more than glad to help anyone here that's interested in trying it out in finding a good spot and good instructor nearby them. The UK and Canada actually have quite a few great schools in most locations, so it's not a USA/Brazil thing alone.

Now, UseOfWeapons is right that MMA (mixed martial arts) is not strongly policed at all and quite a few schools are indeed run by people who are learning as they go, which can lead to terrible technique, bad habits and injuries that wouldn't happen at good schools. At the same time, the good schools and instructors are generally known and a list of "telltales" can be supplied for anyone who's not sure about their school.

View PostBriar King, on 14 September 2011 - 01:27 AM, said:

Shit Ive been tryin to motivate myself to get back to the gym(other then to tan) for the past 7 months or so. Its unbelievable how much defintion you actually lose when you just compeltly quit going to workout for 10 mths to a yr. All that hardwork I did down the drain. Damn McD has caught back up with me also. lol

The loss of definition is pure diet, man. Yeah, McD's is salty terribleness that's so damn convenient that it's hard to turn down sometimes. Try making a giant pot of chili on Sunday and freezing it for the next few days. Or a big pan of chicken. Also, almonds make a damn good snack for mid-day. Lots of goodness in them and a handful will keep you going for a long time.

You can run, play soccer with your kid, do pushups and pullups at home. The gym ain't necessary, but it helps keep that focus.

#17 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 14 September 2011 - 03:43 AM

You think 7 months is terrible? Try 6 years. I get a little bit miffed when I look at my results and the size of the guys walking around me and I remember how strong I used to be. Ah well, instead of being down about that I just use it as a motivator. I've done it once and now I will do it again. Day by day.

Anyway, I see I forgot to post my Quad, Shoulder, calf workouts results. I'm doing legs again today, I'll hopefully post that today then.

#18 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 16 November 2011 - 06:07 PM

This thread died along with my keyboard it seems. Lets see what we can do about that.

As I've begun working out again I'm also doing a lot browsing on weightlifting sites, reading articles, watching videos, etc. It's funny how much more information there is available now, especially videos on youtube, compared to when I was working out in the early 00s.

While looking for interesting new programmes to try out I've come across a guy called Mark Rippetoe, a power lifting strength coach. Guy does seminars and writes books based on a programme called Starting strength. It's somewhat similar to the Strong lifts programme.

While I don't particularly fancy the bare bones approach to strength training that Starting Strength proposes I do find Rippetoes commentary and instructions in his videos fascinating and very informative. He manages to convey a lot of information in a short time but as a seasoned teacher he is great at explaining what he is talking about. I've already picked up a ton of tricks and ideas for my form looking at his videos. If you're looking to learn more about the big lifts and the general mechanics of the body during a lift I recommend them.

Platform: Lower Back Position Control

Platform: The Squat - Bar Position

Platform: The Lying Triceps Extension

While I don't want to stick to a strict and simple programme like the two mentioned above I do find the 5x5 concept interesting. I've never tried it out. I've been tinkering with an idea for an expanded programme that has twice as many exercises, this is mainly for my vanity but also because my old Bodyy building approach to lifting is hard to shed.

It would look something like this, 3 times a week, alternating between A and B:

A
Squat 5x5
Bench 5x5
Stiff-leg Deadlift 5x5
Pull Ups 4x5
Dips 4x5
leg curls 4x5
Barbell Curls 4x5
calf 3x15
Abs ?

B
Squat 5x5
Overhead Press 5x5
Deadlift 5x5
Dips 4x5
Pendlay rows 4x5
Leg extensions 4x5
Skulllcrushers 4x5
Calf 3x15
Back extensions ?

I would do each exercise with one or two warm up sets and then do three or four sets with the same weight for 5 reps. Every week more weight is added to the lifts until I plateau. Then I deload 10-20-30 kilos and start over.

Anyone have any comments on the programme? I can see above that Tiam is doing Strong Lifts, what is it like? I must say, I find the guy "Mehdi"'s schtick a bit too "TV-shop" for me to trust the programme.

This post has been edited by Aptorius: 16 November 2011 - 06:15 PM

#19 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 16 November 2011 - 09:41 PM

View PostAptorius, on 16 November 2011 - 06:07 PM, said:

This thread died along with my keyboard it seems. Lets see what we can do about that.

As I've begun working out again I'm also doing a lot browsing on weightlifting sites, reading articles, watching videos, etc. It's funny how much more information there is available now, especially videos on youtube, compared to when I was working out in the early 00s.

While looking for interesting new programmes to try out I've come across a guy called Mark Rippetoe, a power lifting strength coach. Guy does seminars and writes books based on a programme called Starting strength. It's somewhat similar to the Strong lifts programme.

While I don't particularly fancy the bare bones approach to strength training that Starting Strength proposes I do find Rippetoes commentary and instructions in his videos fascinating and very informative. He manages to convey a lot of information in a short time but as a seasoned teacher he is great at explaining what he is talking about. I've already picked up a ton of tricks and ideas for my form looking at his videos. If you're looking to learn more about the big lifts and the general mechanics of the body during a lift I recommend them.

Platform: Lower Back Position Control

Platform: The Squat - Bar Position

Platform: The Lying Triceps Extension

While I don't want to stick to a strict and simple programme like the two mentioned above I do find the 5x5 concept interesting. I've never tried it out. I've been tinkering with an idea for an expanded programme that has twice as many exercises, this is mainly for my vanity but also because my old Bodyy building approach to lifting is hard to shed.

It would look something like this, 3 times a week, alternating between A and B:

A
Squat 5x5
Bench 5x5
Stiff-leg Deadlift 5x5
Pull Ups 4x5
Dips 4x5
leg curls 4x5
Barbell Curls 4x5
calf 3x15
Abs ?

B
Squat 5x5
Overhead Press 5x5
Deadlift 5x5
Dips 4x5
Pendlay rows 4x5
Leg extensions 4x5
Skulllcrushers 4x5
Calf 3x15
Back extensions ?

I would do each exercise with one or two warm up sets and then do three or four sets with the same weight for 5 reps. Every week more weight is added to the lifts until I plateau. Then I deload 10-20-30 kilos and start over.

Anyone have any comments on the programme? I can see above that Tiam is doing Strong Lifts, what is it like? I must say, I find the guy "Mehdi"'s schtick a bit too "TV-shop" for me to trust the programme.

Mehdi comes across as a bit late night infomercial its not just you that thinks that either. The programme itself is solid though and gives a bit more upper body stuff that seems to please those shifting from a bobybuilding to strength building styles. While Stronglifts promises you the world with all the success stories on the website etc I can say from personal experience I made more gains (weightloss,muscle definition,general muscle growth and ofc strength gains) on Stronglift 5x5 than I did for like 2 years of Bodybuilding style. Do the workout as its set down rather than tinkering and if youve still got some energy at the end throw in some isolated arm work. It all about squats and squats=fatloss because of the overall taxing of your entire body. I big and still lost bodyfat while doing it.

I dontknow whether hes changed it but it was 5x5 Squats, Bench, 3xFail Barbell Rows (I tended to do 5x5 when it got heavier like 80-90KG) with 3xfail on dips (which I think is weighted press ups now because people on the site claimed shoulder pain was stopping them doing it). Workout B is Squats,OHP 5x5, 1x5 DL I think, then Pullups/chinups fo 3 sets of fail

Starting strength is obviously what Mehdi used as a base for stronglifts. Rip is a legend in the strength building world. The only problem with SS is that it it includes powercleans and my techique has always been shifty hence why I preferred Stronglifts.

Anyway first thing is to get your squat depth and technique right so start light on the bar (60KG if youve trained them before) and work your way at a 2.5 increases. Doesnt sound like alot but the weight goes on quick and if you prgress more youll stall quicker. Trust me ive tried.

Having done both I have to say linear progression programmes are much better than bodybuilding stuff. Also try the 70sbig Strength and conditioning programme for more info.

This post has been edited by tiam: 16 November 2011 - 09:49 PM

#20 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 16 November 2011 - 10:18 PM

Mark Rippetoe is awesome.

funny as hell too.

Some quotes:

"We knew the chickenshit motherfuckers were going to pirate us no matter how cheap we made the DVD, and that there would be chickenshit motherfuckers who would steal it. Can't be helped without a massive eugenics program."

"Yes, if you squat wrong it fucks things up. If you squat correctly, those same fucked-up things will unfuck themselves."

"And the book is not any more expensive in Australia than it is here except for the shipping, which is what you get for living in Australia."

Responding to someone who wanted the book spoon fed to them:
"Steve, buddy, the plan is in the fucking book. That's what the book is about. That's why I wrote the book. This is a Q&A for people who are already using the plan IN THE FUCKING BOOK. Get it, read it, and use it. Really, the book is too long to post here. Get the fucking book."

"...what should my ideal body weight be for this program? Have you made a table for this, or what do you recommend?" - trainee
"Your ideal bodyweight as an ectomorph at 6' 0" will be 214.378 lbs. There. Happy? And if you lose or gain a pound, I will have you killed. It is important to be ideal.." - Rip, in response

"There is no such thing as “firming and toning.” There is only stronger and weaker."

On the ethics of meat eating:
"Okay, have you ever been around chickens? They are stupid, uncooperative, inconvenient, ill-tempered creatures. They get what they deserve. Fuck chickens."

seriously, look his stuff up.

it regularly has me laughing my ass off.
meh. Link was dead :(

Share this topic:

• 35 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users